Playoffs Smogon Grand Slam X Playoffs - Finals [Won by Punny]

ggs shoutouts to the ppl who cheered me on & also the people running the official resources as they are clearly good enough to get my rusty ass this deep into poffs.
gl in the rest poek you fought really well and despite the bitter end of game 5 it was a blast overall. thanks for being accommodating to my busy weekend.
as for myself I hope I can show some more results here or there again, def gonna sign up for scl so see yall there

Scottie

formerly Osh
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Ggs to punny, good luck in the finals, you've been immense this slam.

Thanks to Sabella Alpha Rabbit for help in RU and NU, had a blast with you guys building and wouldn't have done this well without your help so thanks a bunch.
Cumpulsory shoutout for SANJAY for all the tests youve provided even tho you're basically done with the game, we'll get her one day..
Also thanks to Adaam for the UU team this round, apprecite you bud.

Good luck to everyone remaining!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Congrats Poek! I had a ton of fun that series despite the loss, very tense stuff. Should be an awesome finals, you're both great people and extremely skilled players; gl to both.

I wish I could've won the tour, obviously, but I went 0-2 in both PU and RU (as ru mainer??) so clearly gotta do better there. Bringing strong consistent teams + playing well in all 5 of these tiers is very challenging, so congrats to everyone that did so this playoffs.

I'm proud to have built nearly all of my teams -- i tend to feel better with my own stuff -- but i also got a lot of feedback and support from friends, so i'd like to especially thank hs daniYSB avarice KM gum Mac3 Decem for their input on teams and test games. Thanks as well to everyone else who cheered me on, played test games, and so on.

The 2 ppl I was most scared of when looking at the playoff bracket, really cool how you've both made it to the finals. I think that LK is favored a fair bit as he probably has more metagame insight, but Poek's feel for when to pull the trigger is something else. If anybody is gonna stop Punny it's him. Looking forward to watching these, may you have a hax-free series

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
fine Punny

:aegislash: UU - Punny vs Poek
Despite the fact that Poek won the UU open, Light Clay is now banned so he has been effectively nerfed to make this matchup a bit more even. Punny's UU teams have been pretty solid albeit unorthodox so far, and Poek's have been good too if not a little cheesy. They both seem to have a pretty solid understanding of this tier and fortunately this is being played in the pre-shifts meta so they won't have any adaptations to make. The reason I'm going for Punny is because I think he's managed to play out his games -really- well, whie Poek has seemed a little more apathetic. I'm not sure who's helping the prep here for either of them but I personally prefer Punny's approach and expect him to take this one but it's close imo, about as close as PU.

:togekiss: RU - Punny vs Poek
Anyone who's been watching Punny in RU over the past year or two will be very aware of how much he utterly dominates the tier. Between his 2 consecutive RU Open wins, a dominant RUPL, the most ridiculous RUWC imaginable... no matter which iteration he played, be it the 50 SS metas we've seen in the past 3 weeks, SM, ORAS or whatever else, he always seems to figure it out and always finds a way to bring it home. Punny has been known to bring some off-meta stuff in SS RU, though. It's very hit or miss, and in a final like this you really want it to be a hit. Poek has not looked remotely poor in RU; if anything he's actually been pretty great. Being the overall solid player he is, he absolutely has the opportunity to take this, it's not -that- much of an uphill battle, but I'd be a fool to not bold Punny in this tier.

:copperajah: NU - Punny vs Poek
Poek hasn't actually looked as great as I was expecting in NU, going 1-2 in that tier so far in playoffs. Punny hasn't played it as much but he's looked fine whenever he has if not a bit sloppy. With that said, something in me is telling that Poek is gonna pull up with some nasty ass team that has like, a Carracosta or something, and it'll go crazy and somehow win the game. It's definitely just a gut feeling thing, they've both been fine and Punny has better results but I think he was a little messy in some of the NU games and Poek should be able to take advantage of that to etch this out. My heart tells me this will be a cheesy one.

:scrafty: PU - Punny vs Poek
PU is a peculiar tier and Poek has actually looked great in its current iteration, ripping Expulso apart last week quite effectively and nailing Charmflash with the most disgusting Beartic I've ever seen. Whoever's helping him out in this tier clearly knows what they're doing, as he's been given teams that seem to have consistently great matchups and is piloting them well on top of that. Punny's looked fine in PU albeit not as dominant as he was earlier in the generation, and I can only imagine the stall slog he dealt with last week when playing Osh didn't help. He did manage to win the rematch, though, after I tabbed out thinking it was unwinnable for him, so props for that. I think as long as Poek's supplier (or maybe even his own work, who knows) brings him another team that hits the nail on the head like the previous two, he should take this one, but do not underestimate the kicker here - they don't call him PUnny for nothing.

:mienfoo: LC - Punny vs Poek
This is a sad bold because both Punny and Poek have looked a bit lost in Little Cup. I get it, it's pretty hard to pick up since it's such a venture from standard level 100 play, I just hope this isn't a G5. Osh pretty effectively dispatched of Punny last week, while Expulso took out Poek - there was a little bit of shakiness in that game on both ends, but Poek's LC performance against Charmflash didn't inspire the most confidence either. I think Punny played his LC games a little more solidly and had more of a handle on the tier, but this one is really just a coinflip. Like I said I really hope this isn't G5 bc that'd be an awkward way to end it.

Only ever had positive interactions with both of these users and I think this is the best final we could've hoped to see. It feels bad to root against friends so I'll just say best of luck to both & I'm glad we'll have a deserving winner one way or the other. Looking forward to watching it live!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)