Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament X - Top 16

please don't delete these posts or infract the users posting them, staff. this is the community policing itself at its finest. the people in question are being told what they need to hear. justfranco, please reconsider your decision and attempt to reschedule or play now if at all possible. you're gonna do a lot more harm than good in the long term as far as your time on smogon is concerned with moves like these.

as a sidenote, i'm taking back any bad thing i've ever said about quite quiet.

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
This is a joke.

I just want to say that I hate this culture of counting the seconds to claim your precious act win. There could be any number of factors that causes a person to be slightly late, but players like you don’t give a shit. He could’ve been stuck in traffic or even coming home from the ER, but you wouldn’t give a shit.

Too many people on this website don’t actually want to play the game of Pokemon; they all just want the shiny pixel that <200 people care about in the world. People could say “make sure you’re on time bc I have a lot to do”, but it’s better to feign ignorance and pretend you do to get your well-deserved act win.

It’s fine to care about this website, but at the cost of being a rat? I wouldn’t take that.
Let's tone down the drama a bit. I don't like cases as such either but going the other way is just as bad if not more. If you give people more time, the good ones that are stuck on traffic gets spared. However the nasty troublemakers will show up 1h+ late every time and abuse it however they can, resulting in other people with shit to do irl losing their time they saved to play for nothing. There isn't a real solution and it's kinda dreadful to see people outraged as if it's a black and white problem. Every little concession you give to someone who wants to get the game done is also a concession you give to a shithead who didn't bother. In the end what's at stake is a pokemon tournament's L, so let's not act as if someone was shooted in cold blood tonight.

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
as it stands the rules state that after 15 minutes have passed, one has the right to claim an activity win, this time is extended to 30 minutes if the opponent communicates a delay. The problem is for various reasons someone may not be able to give notice of a delay.

15 minutes is not a long time to wait, a bo3 series can take more than an hour to play which you have to be ready for. had Insult showed up at the 32nd minute instead of the 17th I think we would find it more justified (unfortunate since it's olt playoffs, but more fair). It sucks that someone could waste 25 minutes of your time but it sucks more that someone who is only 17 minutes late due to factors out of their control can be kicked out of a tournament.

tldr: make the standard waiting time 30 minutes instead of 15, it isn't perfect but if you can't wait for more than 15 minutes you probably can't play a bo3

This is a joke.
you're a twat
we must get rid of the soulwind culture
insulting users who follow the rules instead of advocating for better rules is so backwards.

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
as it stands the rules state that after 15 minutes have passed, one has the right to claim an activity win, this time is extended to 30 minutes if the opponent communicates a delay. The problem is for various reasons someone may not be able to give notice of a delay.

15 minutes is not a long time to wait, a bo3 series can take more than an hour to play which you have to be ready for. had Insult showed up at the 32nd minute instead of the 17th I think we would find it more justified (unfortunate since it's olt playoffs, but more fair). It sucks that someone could waste 25 minutes of your time but it sucks more that someone who is only 17 minutes late due to factors out of their control can be kicked out of a tournament.

tldr: make the standard waiting time 30 minutes instead of 15, it isn't perfect but if you can't wait for more than 15 minutes you probably can't play a bo3

insulting users who follow the rules instead of advocating for better rules is so backwards.
the rules r fine the host should just use there own discretion case by case. Its clearly ridiculous to call act in playoffs after 15 minutes, but you shouldnt have to wait a full 30 minutes for bigyoshifan45 who has one post and says he will be online if his mum allows him ipad time.

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
maybe not the best way around it but simple fix w/o commenting on current situation (this will inevitably spin off into a pr thread but whatever):
act rules for standard rounds of cups/seasonals/whatever: 15 minutes no show = gone
act rules for playoff phases: 30 minutes no show = gone

15 minutes has proven time and time again to be too low when it comes to playoff phases that people put tons of work into to get to, but if you're making your opponent wait a whole half hour w/o any communication its kinda on you. team tours have different rules rn because once it gets to a point where it's taken more seriously (which team tours are) it becomes more important to get the games done than anything else, playoff phases should have the same logic applied

Welli0u

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
maybe not the best way around it but simple fix w/o commenting on current situation (this will inevitably spin off into a pr thread but whatever):
act rules for standard rounds of cups/seasonals/whatever: 15 minutes no show = gone

15 minutes has proven time and time again to be too low when it comes to playoff phases that people put tons of work into to get to, but if you're making your opponent wait a whole half hour w/o any communication its kinda on you. team tours have different rules rn because once it gets to a point where it's taken more seriously (which team tours are) it becomes more important to get the games done than anything else, playoff phases should have the same logic applied
Couldn’t agree more. There shouldn’t have a difference between playoffs games and team tours games.
I hope the TDs will do the right thing and not promote such a bad man sportship. Pretty they would never ever give Justfranco the wins if this was the finals, so why would they do it in Top 16 ?
If you take the win JustFranco , this will get back to you sooner or later, be sure about it.

Raptor

is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Most of us here are latinos and what will we do if our internet goes down and we can't write to our opponent?

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
1696710007585.png

is it really unjust to call act on someone who missed a scheduled time due to their own negligence? All these sanctimonious posts are so ridiculous,
what is he supposed to do? He did everything right, he scheduled early, he messaged at the scheduled time, and he waited 15 minutes just like the rules say. Is he supposed to wait for 30 minutes because that's the rule for a different tournament? If so, then that should be in the rules for this tournament. It is not immoral to value your own time

ok i had logged out as soon as i made the post so didnt see the window was so tight and honestly if i cant win top 16 w games im sure as hell not winning the trophy so yeah ill play the game either today or monday no act (altho it sure is crazy getting insulted by mods for following the rules they themselves enforce ill say that much)

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Y'all are crazy lmao.

In an official trophy tournament, it should be the job of the tournament directors to do everything in their power to force the game to happen if the players in communication are bozos and somehow cannot uphold the documented scheduled time (Merritt i understand that's usually your goal to begin with ). An activity win is simply unacceptable at this level.

But here's a take - official tournaments like OLT represent the highest level of achievement possible in this hobby. Activity wins at this level shouldn't even be an option. Let's get rid of those in its entirety once you hit a certain stage of an official (top 32?, 16?) unless extreme circumstances occur of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)