Smogon's Youtube Account

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just throwing this out there, but how difficult is it to recreate games on wifi? Is there any way just to plug in a piece of code or something and have a video created based on the code/log? What about just manually replaying a hax free game? Let's face it, wifi videos are much more colorful than shoddy videos.

Music is a must imo, with or without commentary.

I'm just throwing this out there, but how difficult is it to recreate games on wifi? Is there any way just to plug in a piece of code or something and have a video created based on the code/log? What about just manually replaying a hax free game? Let's face it, wifi videos are much more colorful than shoddy videos.

Music is a must imo, with or without commentary.
It's impossible to recreate games on wifi as far as I know. Even without any "hax" in a battle, there are still factors like damage rolls that are not recreateable.

It's impossible to recreate games on wifi as far as I know. Even without any "hax" in a battle, there are still factors like damage rolls that are not recreateable.
I've actually seen a few vids that have been recreated and linked in warstories. Dunno how many times they had to try though.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Recreating games on wifi is impossible, the damage rolls are always different so you're never going to get it down exactly the way it was on shoddy, and it would take WAY too long. The voice discussion idea is cool and that could work eventually but I don't know how many users involved have Skype+a microphone so we'll wait on that.

on another note I recorded Flashstorm1 vs. Gouki for the New Grounds UU Tournament Semifinals and I caught most of the first game and all of the second game from VIL vs. panamaxis (ultimate cup), so once those tournaments end I'll upload them.

if i remember correctly Hectortu recreated his game vs mdragon into a wifi match, maybe we could ask him to show us an easy way to do it?

locopoke

Banned deucer.
if i remember correctly Hectortu recreated his game vs mdragon into a wifi match, maybe we could ask him to show us an easy way to do it?

ok how many more ways do i need to phrase this, there is no "easy way" and there is NO way to duplicate the match perfectly on wifi. they did it the best that they could and the only reason they did was because that was a very good match, we're not going to be doing this for every single battle (we probably won't do it at all). also, i'm pretty sure they needed to try a few times since one crit, miss, or extremely low / high damage roll ruins the entire thing.

ok how many more ways do i need to phrase this, there is no "easy way" and there is NO way to duplicate the match perfectly on wifi. they did it the best that they could and the only reason they did was because that was a very good match, we're not going to be doing this for every single battle (we probably won't do it at all). also, i'm pretty sure they needed to try a few times since one crit, miss, or extremely low / high damage roll ruins the entire thing.
The whole point isn't to perfectly recreate the battle, it's to give a more pleasing visual of a battle. As you have said before, the numerous amounts of variables that are in a battle make it virtually impossible to perfectly recreate a battle even with many attempts of doing the battle over and over again; because of that, this would most likely be limited to really important tournament finals.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
A better idea would be to zoom in on the visual portion of the Shoddy Battle screen (cutting off the moves and chat box), and use subtitles to explain what's going on. You can even lay the subtitles over one of the text boxes from the actual games to make it look more authentic. It's easy enough to do with any screen recorder + video editing software.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
A better idea would be to zoom in on the visual portion of the Shoddy Battle screen (cutting off the moves and chat box), and use subtitles to explain what's going on. You can even lay the subtitles over one of the text boxes from the actual games to make it look more authentic. It's easy enough to do with any screen recorder + video editing software.

That's an interesting idea, I really didn't think of that. We could definetely try that, it would be a lot more work but it might be more enjoyable for users to watch. Though, some may like the fact that the chat is visible because they get to see the comments made by the battlers(?), i don't really know.

I really like aragornbirds idea.

On another note
Could we maybe, after every big tourney, post a link in the thread for both a log and a vid? I dont know its just a thought i came up with.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
We're going to put a link to smogon as well as the tournament thread in every video's description, we already did that with the current video.

I wonder what other tourney videos are we going to film. I already know that we'll be filming our big tourneys, but what about some of the more gimmicky ones? Will we be having it up to the Filmer's discretion, or are we going to have a head/group that determines which of those battles will get filmed.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
right now im just recording all semifinal / finals matches that i see going on, when a gimmick tournament reaches that point then i'll make sure to try and record it

After you're done recording, you can send it to me. But try to get the player's permission first, as we don't want to be revealing teams. There are a couple of options to send it. First, you can PM me, sheep, or matty the download link. If you don't want to wait to upload it, then send it to one of us at SmogonU@gmail.com (if the files small enough). If you're sending it to me, please also send a PM. I almost never check my email.

Edit: Or we could just black the player's names out.

Edit 2: I should be able to test out agaronbirds method in about an hour. But from what it look likes, the screen is going to be very small.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
blacking their names out is dumb. i already asked permission of the people from the matches i recorded. im going to upload the ultimate cup matches after UC ends though so that the remaining participants cant watch the videos to see teams

blacking their names out is dumb. i already asked permission of the people from the matches i recorded. im going to upload the ultimate cup matches after UC ends though so that the remaining participants cant watch the videos to see teams
Sorry locopoke, it wasn't really directed toward you, but more toward anyone else who wanted to upload something.

And yeah, I realized blacking out their names is kind of dumb after thinking about it a little more.

This is a great idea, ThePatriot. If there is any way i could help with the channel then I'd be willing to. :)

Cool video! It's good that we're getting more up. I'm wondering though, why is it so fast? Is it sped up at all? Because I can't really tell what's going on, and before I know it they already made their next move. Maybe we could slow it down or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)