Snorunt (LC Analysis) [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Note this is my first time posting a set in QC, so if I'm breaking any rules, please let me know.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/snorunt

[Overview]
<p> While its pure Ice-typing will often lead players to look for other options, Snorunt is highly viable in today's metagame. Sporting decent stats across the board, strong STAB, as well as an interesting-but-shallow movepool, Snorunt has more than enough wherewithal to carve a place for itself in Little Cup. It may not be the one to sweep the opponent's team, but it certainly has the tools to help others do so, whether it be by weakening the opponent's team, or laying spikes down for some crucial passive damage.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Spikes
item: Focus Sash / Oran Berry
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Naive
evs: 36 Atk / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 40 SpD / 196 Spe
ivs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD

[Set Comments]
<p>When placed in the lead slot, Snorunt fares well against almost all other leads. Inner Focus renders Fake Out users useless, and the combination of Ice Beam and Ice Shard lands a 2HKO on many an opponent; most notably Hippopotas, Snover, and Voltorb, three prominent weather leads. Lead Diglett can also be beaten, but one must be wary of Sucker Punch after taking an Earthquake. Hidden Power Ground allows Snorunt to damage LeaDour, who resists its STAB, while Hidden Power Grass allows Snorunt to beat Omanyte, Kabuto, and Onix. Spikes is placed in the last slot for team support, and should be used to incite mind games against faster Sucker Punch users.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[SET]
name: SpikeRunt
move 1: Ice Shard
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Protect
move 4: Crunch
item: Oran Berry
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[Team Options]
<p></p>

[Optional Changes]
<p></p>

-----------
Why this set deserves to be on-site:
- Matches up very well Vs most leads, especially weather ones:
- Snover is beaten by Ice beam + Ice Shard, additionally, Ice shard will always break stalling lead Snover's substitute + you don't take hail damage
- standard lead Hippopotas is OHKO'd by Ice Beam 100% of the time
- Voltorb is KO'd by Ice Beam + Ice Shard
- Inner Focus renders Fake Out leads basically useless; free spikes or most times a KO with IB + IS
- There currently isn't any Snorunt analysis written yet

Additional Comments:
- HP ground vs HP grass-- ground you can damage LeaDour + provides good coverage, grass is better vs onix/kabuto/omanyte crew, as well as being SE vs most water mons on rain teams
- physical options (crunch especially) / why special should be used over them
- Protect/Ice body options; generally inferior as IF lets you drop Protect for another move, but still has uses (eases prediction w/ protect, scouts choice locked moves, etc)

I've edited the second set to one that uses Ice shard (after testing it, of course), so feedback is appreciated.

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
- spikes user immune to hail
- this set a fast spiker (15 Spe) compared to others such as omanyte (10 spe) and pineco (8 Spe), while still retaining bulk (22 HP / 13 Def / 13 SpD); as such it can fit somewhat better into more offensive oriented teams / get more opportunities to spike
- Ice type's neutrality to most special moves (besides fire of course) means that Snorunt with be 3hko'd with oran by most non-boosted moves, netting 2-3 layers of spikes most times (this includes stuff like scarfchou surf, etc)

Additional Comments:
- Its biggest asset over other spikers is speed; if you want bulk you'd probably want to run something else instead
- Snorunt doesn't have many other physical options (outside of return)
- alternate set [this may go in OO/OC] of 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe can be used if one wants another Gligar check.
- Protect is on this set and not on the other b/c this is a slightly more defensive (or supportive I suppose) set, and it is useful as a scouting move (for stuff like choice locked moves from scarfers, revealing information about the opponents team, etc.)

Teammates and Counters:
- While not entirely necessary(due to the rarity of RS), a ghost type to block RS is helpful
- Offensive partners who love that extra bit of damage to score KOs (dratini / scarf fighting types / flash fire mons to absorb fire attacks aimed at snorunt)
- counters generally are most fire types, anything faster that's not weak or is resistant to Ice type moves(need 16+ speed to outspeed this set)
- Bronzor walls this set, but provides free spikes opportunities
- Generally a SR user such as Gligar is beneficial to Snorunt's usage, as spikes only damages ground-bound foes
- offensive and or bulky water types that are able to check fire types are good teammates (buizel, clamperl, etc.)
- fighting types are mostly checks, as most take a hefty amount of damage from Ice Beam (putting them into the priority revenge kill area)
- Slowpoke makes a good team member, since it resists 3 / 4 of snorunts weaks + deals with lead 'chop matchup
------

Analysis started, will continue working on it after eating dinner and such.

I actually really like this set. Although imo Ice Shard is the better option in the third slot, especially because you mention it so much more in the "why this set deserves to be on-site:". Priority is ridiculously useful in LC, always, where everything takes buttloads of damage from everything.

This is a good set, and obviously one of Snorunt's better sets.

Just posting to vouch for this since I've played against it multiple times. I also think Ice Shard is definitely better than Icy Wind on this set.

Unfortunately the worst matchup in leads is Lead Machop, who you really don't want to have to switch out of turn one. Definitely mention something for that in additional comments.

Also, the set name could probably just be "Lead". Anyways, this is great.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks like a pretty cool set for an unusual Pokemon, a full analysis will be needed before this can go up, so if you would like to test and post the other set if you think it's effective it would be great. If you want to just write this set that's ok, but it can't go up until someone does a full analysis.

i also like the set as one of the few things snorunt could actually do lol, will test it out.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
thanks for all the comments, and about the lead machop matchup; slowpoke would probably be a very good team partner; it resists fighting, steel, fire, all of which snorunt is weak to, additionally it is probably THE best machop counter, due to own tempo blocking confusion. will edit the comments into the OP shortly.

EDIT: Will be adding the other set into the OP shortly for review

EDIT2: added the other set. If it gets the ok measure, I'll start on shifting this into an analysis so it can be put on site.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say that I have the analysis started, although I'm a little hesitant at getting too far into it. The first set seems to have been liked (although I'm not entirely certain...), but I'll need feedback/possibly stamps for one or both sets before I push on. I'm not entirely certain what to do at this point, so if someone could help me(or at least tell me what to do) that would be great :)

i had tested this was just another lead, had good moments and bad but its a snorunt set and SNORUNT NEEDS SOMETHING

gl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)