Sock It To 'Em: A Guide to Punching Moves

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay. I'm back. I suggested the dance thing but that was 1: hard to do and 2: already wrote about. A different series of moves Id like to cover is punching moves. They're a lot more varied than Dance based moves, and I can cover it easier. I'm recylicling the same set I used in the Dance one.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

I plan on covering Drain Punch, Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch, Ice, Thunder, and Fire Punch, with an honorable mention to Poison Jab. I've always wanted to write an article for The Smog, and I feel like this is a good article for people to read to learn what viable punching moves there are in the metagames.

Thank you for your time (again)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The dancing article had more merit imo, as setup moves are way more beneficial for mons of certain kinds, while not as effective or well exploited on other stuff. Punching moves ..... are more straight forward, in more sense than one. You get STAB, you get more coverage, you replentish HP, or you get priority. I don't see what's needed to ellaborate about.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
worth noting that last edition's article on dancing was in doubles so im not entirely sure that your other article idea was unfounded

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
True, but it's not like SD Scizor, DD Char-X and QD Volc are unapplicable in OU (along with the destructive force known as Teeter Dance / Rain Dance Ludicolo).

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The dancing article had more merit imo, as setup moves are way more beneficial for mons of certain kinds, while not as effective or well exploited on other stuff. Punching moves ..... are more straight forward, in more sense than one. You get STAB, you get more coverage, you replentish HP, or you get priority. I don't see what's needed to ellaborate about.
See I was trying to find what other group of moves I could write about that involve special effects as opposed to straight on attacking. I was going to cover priority in gen 6 but I thought you'd guys think it would suck lol.

Edit: thinking about it, Gen 6 has experience a drastic shift in the importance of priority in OU with the dominance of Talonflame, MPinsir, Azumarill, Both Scizor forms, and Prankster Thundurus (and to a less extent, Klefki and other Pranksters) you think that would be a good subject to write about?

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
So should I create another thread for the priority thing? I'm actually gonna co-write it with another user, Skitty, so it should be really good. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)