VGC Speed Demons - VGC16 Team

Speed Demons – A VGC16 Team

Hi. I’m Epic_Mewtwo and this is my first ever VGC16 team – Speed Demons. It is a team focused on both Trick Room and Tailwind. I’m doing quite well with it even though I am new to VGC.

Teambuilding:

First I focused on the Trick Room core:

I chose Aromatisse as my Trick Roomer thanks to its low speed and ability in Aroma Veil.

Then I added Primal Groudon, as it functions well under Trick Room.

I also added Mega Kangaskan, because of its high power and lower speed.

Then I started the Tailwind core:

I chose Zapdos because it has access to both Tailwind and Thunder Wave.

Then I added Primal Kyogre to benefit from the Tailwind.

Finally, I added Mega Salamence to finish off the Tailwind core.

The Team:

Trick Room Core
Out of the two cores, I find this one to be the most successful. Here it is:

Aromatisse @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP/126 Def/4 SpA/126 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Aromatherapy
- Heal Pulse
- Dazzling Gleam

Aromatisse is my Trick Room setter, and it is good at what it does. I needed something that could deal with the two things that stop can stop Trick Room from being set up: Thundurus and Dark Void Smeargle. The answer was simple: Aromatisse. Aroma Veil protects it from Prankster Taunt. My way of dealing with Smeargle is more creative.

1) Smeargle uses Dark Void, putting both Aromatisse and Groudon to sleep.
2) Aromatisse eats its berry, wakes up, and goes for Trick Room.
3) With Aromatisse being the fastest on the field, it uses Aromatherapy to wake up Groudon.
4) Groudon wakes up and either:
a) Goes for Eruption and annihilates Smeargle
b) The Smeargle is Focus Sash and lives the hit, but as the Smeargle never saw it coming, dies the next turn to a Dazzling Gleam from a now faster Aromatisse.

While Aromatisse’s bulk may be disappointing, it survives longer than you may expect, and I’ve gotten really attached to it.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Eruption
- Solarbeam
- Hammer Arm

Groudon works with Aromatisse under Trick Room to make a terrifying duo. Groudon has 0 Speed EVs and a Speed lowering nature to outspeed other Primal Groudons that have no speed investment. It has the usual Precipice Blades and Eruption. Solarbeam can be used straight away in the sun and can catch Primal Kyogre off guard. Hammer Arm drops Groudon’s speed to make it even faster under Trick Room.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus -> Parental Bond
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

This is just your typical Kangaskhan set, minus Speed investment for Trick Room. After two Power-Up Punches, thanks to Parental Bond, I’ve found that Kangaskhan becomes a monster. Return hurts a lot on anything. The only thing Kangaskhan seems to struggle with are Ghost types, and pretty much every one I’ve fought will go for a Will-o-Wisp on the first turn, making Sucker Punch useless.

Tailwind Core
While this core is not as successful as the Trick Room core, it has some real powerhouses in the form of Primal Kyogre and Mega Salamence, and it can be deadly should I set up the Tailwind:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunder Wave

Zapdos is my Tailwind setter and it plays a big part in my team’s speed control. Thunder Wave is to slow down fast Pokemon that might outspeed Kyogre, Thunderbolt is for STAB and Hidden Power Ice is so that Zapdos doesn’t become dead weight against ground types (it can also hit Mega Salamence for a decent amount of damage). While Tailwind is not necessary on my team, I try to use it to outspeed fast threats to my team.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Origin Pulse

Kyogre is probably the MVP of my team, because it is just so powerful. It scares out Primal Groudon and makes it wish it was never born. I ran Water Spout and Origin Pulse because I didn’t want to have to rely on Water Spout as Kyogre’s main attack. Thunder is for coverage, and Ice Beam does over half to Primal Groudon, which is my only attack against it is there’s harsh sunlight. Kyogre always beats Groudon one-on-one, even in the sun, because it can take a Precipice Blades and hit back with Ice Beam.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate -> Aerilate
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Ice

I have discovered that Mega Salamence can be deadly under Tailwind. Hyper Voice is for STAB Aerilate Boost and Protect is for, well, protecting. Draco Meteor is for Dragon STAB, while HP Ice is when I need to hit dragons, but I don’t want to drop my special attack. It does so much damage, and can kill the opponents Pokemon before they have the chance to move.

I will always use the Trick Room core unless there is:

Ferrothorn, Amoongus or Primal Groudon. My Groudon has a terrible matchup against other Groudons thanks to the fact that it has no speed, and Ferrothorn and Amoongus under Trick Room can be a nightmare.

No matter what, I will always use Trick Room is there is:

A Smeargle. I have never seen a person not lead with a Smeargle, so they will fall for the trap every time.

Another Trick Room team. My Tailwind core wouldn’t stand a chance against it.

Xerneas. My Trick Room core has physical attackers, meaning that they don’t care about the Special Defense boost from Geomancy. They can also turn Xerneas’ Speed boost against it.

If I choose that the Trick Room core is best, I will always bring these mons, in the same order everytime:

If the Tailwind Team is best for the job, I will always bring these mons in this order:

Primal Groudon kills my Groudon every time and destroys the Trick Room core, but can’t touch the Tailwind core.

Ferrothorn is a problem. With only a fire weakness, I can’t bring Groudon because of how dangerous it is to set up Trick Room against it.

Mega Salamence can be dangerous to my team. Hyper Voice tears holes, and it can usually get a hit off before my Ice coverage kills it.

Mega Rayquaza is also a huge problem, for the same reasons as Mega Salamence, but it takes the Ice coverage better.

Yveltal can also be a problem, while not as dangerous as the ones mentioned above, due to its power and access to Sucker Punch.

I did fight one team with a Ho-Oh, and it just downright walled everything I had and just recovered off all the damage.

So that’s the team. I will accept any feedback if it helps my team. Thanks for reading :)

hi there Epic_Mewtwo, nice team you have. tailroom is always fun and you've built a solid team around it. most of the things in your threatlist are truly threats, so this rate will elaborate more on how to fix them whilst making a stronger and overall more solid dual primal / tailroom team.

aromatisse is a pretty cool pokemon, although a bronzong would fit here better. this gives you a check to late game xerneas, which is pretty necessary given that you have only groudon to check it. a spread of 252 hp / 212 atk / 44 spdef allows you to ohko a boosted xerneas with gyro ball which is a pretty important benchmark to hit on this team. a simple set of gyro ball / protect / skill swap / trick room is fine; all the moves are self explanatory.

in order to remedy your yveltal weakness, a raichu > zapdos is good. with a powerful volt tackle, it will ohko almost all yveltal as well as severely dent primal kyogre which is nice. a spread of max speed / max attack is fine here, with the attacks volt tackle / nuzzle / feint / protect. nuzzle provides pretty key speed control and helps for when you aren't in trick room. feint breaks protection and can allow for some cool kos helping your team. protect is standard.

salamence doesn't need hidden power ice when draco meteor utterly annihilates any dragon-type you can come across. while it does lower your special attack, hidden power ice has pretty pitiful power, even on pokemon like mega salamence ( 390 > 240). replacing it with double edge is better here since you smacking the likes of primal kyogre and cresselia is nice. since you have double edge, a naive nature is preferred to not lower the power of double edge.

primal groudon has some strange options. a better physical set is precipice blades / fire punch / rock slide / protect. a physical set is better here due to the nature of your team. with semi-room, a special variant is a quite risky since you won't always have a trick room up and going last using eruption is a pretty risky concept. solar beam doesn't offer any real coverage except that on primal kyogre (precipice blades already 2hkos) and hammer arm, while seeming like a decent option given trick room, doesn't hit much for more damage than a stab precipice blades. kangaskhan also wants max speed with jolly. even with a trick room team, mega kangaskhan hits a great speed tier and you don't want to give that up.

primal kyogre also wants to have protect on its moveset, and the easiest thing to replace is thunder. thunder isn't necessarily needed here since you handle other kyogre somewhat well. a bulkier spread of 252 hp / 124 def / 76 spa / 4 spdef / 52 spe is also nice here. this lives attacks such as mega rayquaza's dragon ascent (pretty crucial when it comes to facing rayogre) and double edge from mega salamence just to name a couple. this also creeps the average kyogre, which helps outside of trick room.

this should make a stronger and overall more efficient dual primal team, and while it lost the tailwind aspect of the team, it's a solid semi-room team.

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Skill Swap
- Trick Room

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy <--- (helps against gravity archetypes)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Raichu @ Magnet
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Nuzzle
- Volt Tackle
- Feint

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)