Speed in Gen 5?

B/W introduced a lot of pokes. There is a mixture of base speeds ranging from 20 to 140 (from what I remember). What do you think the benchmark is going to be like?

Now (in gen 4) the benchmark is around 95-100 Base Speed. My impression is you'd better be somewhat bulky if you cannot reach that.

I think, despite the sheer massive range of speeds, it will remain basically pretty much the same. There are quite a few 95+, 100- pokemon which have quirky speeds like 97 and 98 (not seen before), most prominently the new pseudo legendary dragon - Ononokusu - with 97.

However, quick feet, motor drive and a new ability - breakable armor - are given to quite a few pokemon. On top of those attack activated abilities, there are new pokemon inducing and abusing weather (the new sand throw on the scary mole :O).

The new item, Swimming Goggles, increases the speed of a water pokemon.

Jesus, its not just choice scarf now is it?

The breakable armor ability is the most interesting and abusable. On serebii, it says that it decreases attack upon getting hit by a physical attack, but boosts speed. In another source, it is defense rather than attack that is decreased (which makes more sense in both competitive terms and logical terms since it is breakable armor). Either way, Omastar will benefit from this hugely. I expect Smogon to EV Pokemon with the breakable armor boost in mind, especially physical ones.

"... the speed ev's enable *insert Pokemon name* to outspeed Omastar, who will survive a *insert physical attack hit* with half health left"

Swimming Goggles is another interesting item which can be abused in so many ways. For the sakes of this article, we have a life orb for speed without the recoil for waters. Again, I could see a lot of things using this. Perhaps the new overconfident Gyarados? Maybe (s)he has a reason to get cocky after all.

On top of all that, new items yet to be discovered, speed just got a whole lot more interesting.

Discuss!!!

I am very interested in what swimming goggles can do for water pokemon because most barring starmie are slow. Feraligatr will no longer have to live in big bro Gyarados's shadow i believe. Maybe swampert and empoleon can get a few early surprise sweeps in. Blastoise could be a tank with 300+ speed with the right ev placement and if the speed boos is at least 20 percent. It will even make poor old denkaiki useable(what were gamefreak thinking giving him 70 speed. He could have been the water infernape instead of the blastoise/swampert hybrid. At least he has useable attacking stats and moves to use on both ends of the spectrum although not much). Suicune will be a beast as will Starmie and Gyarados.

Ononokusu is not a pseudo-legendary, it is Kingdra/Gyarados/Blissey tier.

I belive that slow water types will become more prominent with the new goggles, if they work like we think they do. But, I'd say base 100 will still be the magical number.

I think the benchmark may be lowered a bit this gen. more around 85-90. There are a ton of pokemon with abysmal speed this time around and looking at the stat spreads of all the new pokemon I think GameFreak was on a tank kick. Almost everything hits like a truck whilst being somewhat bulky, but slow.

Ah thats my bad on Ononokusu. But Sazando is and (s)he has 98 speed. Very interesting that a lot of Pokemon have odd numbers under 100 (before, stats usually end in 5 or 0) and giant offensive stats.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Could someone actually come up with a speed tier chart, rather than going "random pokemon is slow but good so the speed will lower"? Generally in games, key threats decide the "Speed number". In Gen 4, Garchomp and Salamence were big factors, as well as Lucario earlier on and Heracross way back in the beginning.

Yeah, someone needs to compile some data on this before we make assumtions. In uu last gen base 80 was a HUGE speed number, as was base 100 in ou for the length of mences stay. We need some acutal data before speculation.

SPECULATION TIME: ive seen a lot of new pokemon in two groups; one that falls directly under base 100 and another around the 108 mark.

there are lots of pokemons with high 90s and just above 100.
For ubers, I still feel like the speedfest game would revolve around 100 basers
though items like swimming goggles and what not wll definitely play a role (kyogre and palkia with it sounds nice)

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
There is a spreadsheet around here somewhere. But yeah the 95-115 speed tier is a lot more crowded what with Sazando, Ononokusu, the Genies, the Fighting-type horses (all of which look like OU material, with the exception of the Flying-only genie and Ononokusu if Mence/Chomp are unbanned) and various other things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)