XY OU stallin' deh cookie cutters

Introduction + Teambuilding Process

Before I get pounded for what I chose to use, I wanna say fuck off to the people who would more likely, "complain" what I want to use other than help me out into improving in this team. Now, onto the Introduction, I found that Specially Defensive Gliscor and Assault Vest Tornadus were a couple of good staples on stall team and after the Aegislash suspect and it's possible ban, I figured I have to make another stall team since my previous one has Aegislash in it which was a main staple. (Can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teh-average-fgts.3505347/) So I started off building with Tornadus-T and Gliscor as they are two of the best Landorus-I counters.
As I continued to build, there is a gaping Ice weakness in the team already and I wanted to something to check things such as Excadrill, Mamoswine, and other Physical sweepers. I found Alomomola best since it can do all those things while being able to Wish and pass or have reliable recovery upon switchout with Regenerator.
Next, I was looking for something that can beat Chansey + Skarmory and I came up with this Gothitelle set that I found to be interesting.
After a few battles, I noticed Gothitelle was dead weight in some matches and was very hard to use. Someone brought up a Gengar set that was odd to me but I used it for a little while but it was even worst! (Infestation Trap Gengar) I stayed with Gothitelle which is becoming much better with the team and the U-Turn momentum of Tornadus-T which helps it out a lot. At this moment, I needed a Mega and turned to Mega Venusaur at first, but once again that stacked Ice weakness (Switching in Venusaur) so I looked to the next best thing Charizard as it helped me check Greninja as well as Thundurus who wrecked me at the moment as well. (252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 165-196 (45.9 - 54.5%) -- 54.7% chance to 2HKO and for those who preferred to use Surf, 252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Surf vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 136-161 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). I never realized how helpful Charizard X is until I used it. It's one of the best Thundurus counters while being able to Will-O-Wisp multiple Pokemon on the switch such as Excadrill or Azumarill.
Lastly, I noticed that Sand Offense pretty much wrecks me and can easily 6-0 me against a good opponent. This is where the cancer in my team comes in. I looked for something to check Mega Gardevoir, Sand Offense (TTar w/out Fire Blast, Excadrill) while being able to support the rest of the Pokemon with Rapid Spin support. I decided to use Forretress as it doesn't have an Ice weakness (In fact it resist) and is only neutral to electric type attacks. It has the ability to also set up it's own Stealth Rock while (which was said earlier) being able to spin opposing Leech Seed, or hazards on my side of the field. I fucking love this thing.

Tornadus-T @

Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SAtk / 216 Spe
Hurricane | Knock Off | U-turn | Focus Blast

This is one of the main Pokemon I wanted to use in this team. 132 HP and the Assault Vest adds allows it to switch into Landorus-I's attacks and be able to switch out and shake off any damage taken due to it's ability. It also helps me out with one of the main threats to this team in opposing Gliscors. It helps me keep the rare momentum Stall can have with U-Turn. Knock Off serves as utility which helps against switch-ins and causes them to lose their item. For example, Thundurus switching into a Knock Off and it loses Life Orb / Lefties (Lol). Focus Blast hits Steels such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. I was suggested to use Heat Wave over Focus Blast but then that would mean Heatran completely walls this thing which is kinda sad in my opinion so I stuck with Focus Blast.

Gliscor
@

Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SDef / 72 Spe
Earthquake | Toxic | Taunt | Roost

Another one of the Pokemon I was excited to use. It is a staple on most stall teams being able to check Landorus-I and stall it out with Roost + Toxic. Also the support with Tornadus-T, it can Knock Off its Life Orb which means that the Psychic can and will be doing less damage to Gliscor than it normally would. Earthquake is the main way of attacking and beats things like Heatran. This Gliscor set also allows me to beat Ferrothorn too which is nice. An option over Earthquake could be Knock Off to be able to touch Lati@s instead of relying on Toxic + Roost. (The day I see a Sub Latios / Latias oml) Taunt helps me against Chansey and turns Gliscor vs Skarmory into a huge stall war if Gothitelle is out.

Alomomola @

Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Scald | Toxic | Wish | Protect

I really like Alomomola in this spot. It is able to check multiple physical threats and without it, I may have a hard time with probably the majority of them. Scald is standard, trying to cripple Physical Sweepers with an OP 30% chance (which is 100% in RNG logic) to burn them. Toxic is for Fire types that are immune to burn and to stack damage on things such as Slowbro and Lati@s who doesn't mind being burned by Scald. Wish + Protect is either for recovering itself or passing Wish to another teammate while almost getting a Wish itself upon switching as Regenerator heals 33% and Wish is healing 50%.

Gothitelle @

Ability: Shadow Tag
Nature: Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SAtk / 252 Spe
Psyshock | Thunderbolt | Rest | Trick

This set may look a little weird at first sight but after a while, I started to grow fond of it. Psyshock hits things that are a little weak on the Physically Defensive side such as Chansey (ofc) and Thunderbolt over Taunt so I am able to beat Skarmory with ease. Rest serves as reliable recovery against Chansey as it is able to PP Stall the Seismic Toss while shaking off any Toxic damage it may have. Trick is standard which is meant to cripple certain Pokemon like opposing Stallbreakers in Clefable and Mew etc.

Charizard @

Ability: Blaze -> Tough Claws
Nature: Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spe
Dragon Claw | Will-O-Wisp | Roost | Earthquake

Ahh, the famous Bulk Zard X. This thing is an absolute monster and helps out this team so much being able to check things like Greninja and Thundurus. Without this, this team would be easily picked apart by certain teams, especially Hyper Offense as I would stand no chance against it if it wasn't for this thing. Dragon Claw + Earthquake are the two moves it uses to deal damage and Will-O-Wisp helps with residual damage against things like Mega Venusaur and cripples Physical Attackers. Roost serves as reliable Recovery.

Forretress @

Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef**
** shows that I'm questionable on this Forretress EV Spread. I was thinking of trying to make it with mixed bulk, I was thinking about changing it for sure though.

IVs: 0 Spe
Stealth Rock | Gyro Ball | Volt Switch | Rapid Spin

Yeah, cancer is a bitch. I know. Before I get pounded, at least hear me out on why I used this Pokemon. When looking at the last slot, I was looking for something to check Sand Offense (Not being able to do much to Excadrill but it helps), Mega Gardevoir and being able to remove hazards is helpful. It can set up its own Stealth Rock as well. It also has a great niche in a slow Volt Switch which also helps me keep the rare momentum with Stall along with U-turn Tornadus-Therian.

Concluding this team, I feel that this team would excel even more once Aegislash is gone (If people actually ban it). Took me a few hours to build this team but like everything, everything has its flaws. Nothing is never perfect. I hope you enjoyed this RMT and possibly rate and help me change some things if possible!

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Rest

Formatting by Valentine http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/force-of-nature-an-in-depth-guide-to-zard-y.3501476/

Big threat. Potentially sweeps my whole team if Charizard X is weakened to where Hydro Pump kills or is gone.

Stall/Wallbreakers:
etc. Things in that manner usually breaks through my team with ease once the right Pokemon are weakened or have been lost earlier in the battle. Landorus isn't that big of a threat but Kyurem-B is an I fucking hate it when I'm against one.

Last edited:
Hi A Terrakion, solid stall team you have here! My only two recommendations are still Heat Wave > Focus Blast. I know that you said it makes your team Heatran weak, but I actually can't imagine your team having many difficulties with it, not to mention that you can gain momentum with Torn-T and switch to Gliscor / ZardX / Goth. Heat Wave has the benefits of higher accuracy, hitting Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Bisharp, Pinsir, and Mega Mawile, as well as the added burn chance.

I would also suggest switching your Alomomola set to this:

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 144 Def / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect

This mixed spread allows reaches an HP number and allows you to live the 2HKO from Landorus-I if absolutely necessary. You lose negligible amounts of physical bulk for a higher amount of special bulk. Bold nature is also an option, as well as 40 HP / 212 Def / 252+ SDef which is more specially bulky than the aforementioned.

I would also keep the Forretress spread that you currently have because Forretress's invested special bulk is abysmal regardless. I know this isn't much of a rate, but hope it helps!

I'm not much of a fan of Goth on any stall team as Mew utterly outclasses it as a stall breaker and the utility on stall.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 72 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Seismic Toss
- Roost

This is a good stallbreaker, unlike Goth. it outspeeds max speed adamant bisharp and has bulk+recovery worthy of being on stall. Unlike Goth, it has the ability to wreck full stall teams while maintaining utility to take on major threats your team simply cannot handle, Aka Mega medicham and Mega Mawile (well... you can handle the second a bit). Also, you now have something for Mega Gyarados. This will also provide you support vs Mega Heracross to which you have no switch in as of right now outside of forrey who does nothing to it. Obv stall can't recover and gets burn spammed to death while you just roost on their sad ass. I don't understand why anyone would ever use goth over this guy ?_?

I'm not much of a fan of Goth on any stall team as Mew utterly outclasses it as a stall breaker and the utility on stall.

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Seismic Toss
- Roost

This is a good stallbreaker, unlike Goth. it outspeeds max speed adamant bisharp and has bulk+recovery worthy of being on stall. Unlike Goth, it has the ability to wreck full stall teams while maintaining utility to take on major threats your team simply cannot handle, Aka Mega medicham and Mega Mawile (well... you can handle the second a bit). Also, you now have something for Mega Gyarados. This will also provide you support vs Mega Heracross to which you have no switch in as of right now outside of forrey who does nothing to it. Obv stall can't recover and gets burn spammed to death while you just roost on their sad ass. I don't understand why anyone would ever use goth over this guy ?_?
ty for the rate Aj fren. The only reason I actually use Gothitelle over Mew or any other bulky Psychic was to get Chansey and Skarm out the way instead of forcing them to switch out majority of the time. I'll try your suggestion of Mew over Gothitelle since you brought up good points in me needing to stop of the Mega Powerhouses.

Whatsup A Terrakion, very good team you have here with some interesting pokemon. I've been wanting to use Tornadus-T for a while now since its literally nowhere to be found for some odd reason. You should definetly keep that forre spread as its about the only thing it can do for a spread. (It won't be living anything special even with full investment so don't bother) I'm also going to agree with that alomomola spread that boltaway sugested as it gives you a secondary check to Lando-i. Also I know you like Gothitelle but mew is always a good option due to its sheer utility. If you were to run that Tornadus can Run superpower, but gliscor shuts chansey down completely anyway, and your team doesn't really loose to skarmory really mainly due to taunt and the fact that it cannot touch alomomola.

IK this was pretty unorganized so here you go....
Keep forre spread
Use the mixed Mola set suggested above
Mew is optional, if you do use it run superpower on Tornadus to hurt Chansey more.

**Edit- I've tested out this team a bit, and Mola is better off with the set it has now since the team needs more physical bulk, so ignore the part about changing it. :]

Last edited:
Hi A Terrakion, nice solid stall team...
well... first of all you can fix the evs spread using even hp to decrease the damage of stealth rock and 0 ivs on atk for special pokemons like thelle...
Solid but pricipally wallbreaker weak...
there is some options...
Chansey/blissey over tornadus maybe and mew over forretress...
with this changes your wallbreaking weakness doesn't excist.

But well in stall, doesn't excist the no stallbreakers weak... the name said all XD
But with gliscor you can "controll" and ppstall they.

I suggest you a defensive mew like ajwf suggest you and sr wish support blissey.
Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Seismic Toss / Defog
- Roost

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic / Aromatherapy

Good luck with your team hoping was helpful

Going to use my Bump. Surprised I haven't already. Seems I did. I got bad memory and lazy af to look at post. Oh well, it's done w/e.

After Mew testing, I'm going to replace Gothitelle with Stallbreaker Mew
One thing I've been going on about is replacing Volt Switch with Earthquake on Forretress to nail things such as Excadrill, and Heatran (On the switch).

Last edited:
How do you deal with taunt mega gardevoir and nasty plot Thundurus?
Forretress checks MGardevoir and Charizard X walls Thundurus. And if it is Focus Blast + Thunderbolt I'll just laugh. (Charizard still lives and KOs)

AV Torn-T can take a couple of MGardevoir hits as well. Mew can take one hit. Gliscor is SDef so it'll be able to take one as well.

If forretress comes in on hyper voice it is KO'd by the following focus blast.

Char x works for thundy though but it could get ruined by para.

Gliscor is ruined by taunt. Edit: After looking into it further I guess you can play around gard with tornadus. Something could go down though. Nice team anyways.

harsha edit: don't double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Terrakion said:
Forretress checks MGardevoir
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 187-221 (52.8 - 62.4%)

A Terrakion said:
AV Torn-T can take a couple of MGardevoir hits as well
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 181-214 (54.5 - 64.4%)
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 115-136 (41.5 - 49%)

:/

not to offense you but this team has too many threats to be effective.

considering mew > gothitelle, CMClefable has a clean 6-0 against your team. some people say gliscor is a check but in fact if clef has set a CM (against charizard / tornadus-t / forretress / alomomola for example), gliscor loses. same shit for mew, the clef user has just to force a burn with flamethrower and that's gg.

another big threat i see here is mega pinsir. i mean you have 0 flying resistance so i don't know how can you deal with it. forretress can tank a +2 return but can't KO back and is even a setup fodder for pinsir. tornadus-t has something like 75% chance to die to +2 QA if it took SR.

skarmory > forretress is the obvious change to remedy this. moreover, its a good check to subDD mega gyarados which can 6-0 your team easily.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Roost

oh and if you wanna have a real check to clefable i suggest you to try amoonguss > tornadus-t. tornadus-t is a good stall team mate, i can't deny that but i mean you already have gliscor to check landorus and at least with gliscor + mew + zardx, your team isn't too slow (even if torna's speed helps a lot). more than a clefable check, amoonguss allows you to have a second water resist to have a better matchup against rain offensive teams and you benefit from a great regenerator core with alomomomomomomola.

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play

hope i helped

If that's the case, Garde fucks all. Adding Skarm or Amoonguss doesn't really help. Either way my team is still being shitted on by something. And Skarmory adds 4 weakness to Electric. I have a hard time with things like Mega Manectric and Thundurus as it is (and still do) so I don't know about adding Skarm but I guess I'm forced to try it out. I'll try out Amoonguss as well

If that's the case, Garde fucks all. Adding Skarm or Amoonguss doesn't really help. Either way my team is still being shitted on by something. And Skarmory adds 4 weakness to Electric. I have a hard time with things like Mega Manectric and Thundurus as it is (and still do) so I don't know about adding Skarm but I guess I'm forced to try it out. I'll try out Amoonguss as well
wtf.

your team
- forretress
+ skarmory
- tornadus-t
+ amoonguss

= 2 electric weakness (3 if zardx isn't mega evolved), 1 electric immunity + 1 electric resistance (2 if zardX is mega evolved).

gardevoir is impossible to check in a stall team except if you play one of the following mons : mega scizor, victini, bronzong, doublade. as seen as your team, its impossible to put one of those without changing the whole team.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
wtf.

your team
- forretress
+ skarmory
- tornadus-t
+ amoonguss

= 2 electric weakness (3 if zardx isn't mega evolved), 1 electric immunity + 1 electric resistance (2 if zardX is mega evolved).

gardevoir is impossible to check in a stall team except if you play one of the following mons : mega scizor, victini, bronzong, doublade. as seen as your team, its impossible to put one of those without changing the whole team.
Don't forget jirachi !_!

if ur team is getting fuck over by garde use doublade>forry and starmie>alomomola, then use a zard x counter over either gliscor or torn
If he does that though he becomes weak to calm mind landorus (assuming starmie is going no speed). I dont know what spread starmie runs on stall. I guess stall has to pick and choose what its weak to. Offense is no different though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)