Starmie dancing in the Rain (new to OU Rain Dance)

Hey all,

I picked up competitive battling again after a while, and I wanted some help with a team I created a long time ago (right before I dropped out of battling for some time). Basically, I wanted to try out Rain Dance, and I wanted my team to feature a sweeping Starmie; but seeing as I never tried RD before, I didn't really know if what I was doing was right. I've now found this forgotten team file in my folder, and I wanted to see if something could be made out of it... so here goes!

- The line-up -

----------

- In depth -

Like I said, this team is a Rain Dance team that features Starmie as a sweeper. An uncommon choice, I know, but I like Starmie a lot and I wanted to see how she fares in the rain, in tandem with a couple of known (read: obligatory) mean rain sweepers such as Kingdra and Ludicolo. Here goes! Changes in blue.

Leading duo: Zapdos and Swampert
I open the game with a rather unusual lead, coupled with a synergic "partner". Both of them should get the game going the way I want it.

Zapdos @ Damp Rock
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 224 HP/176 Spd/108 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- U-turn
- Roost

An uncommon RD lead, but I think it might work well in tandem with Swampert. It pulls off the initial Rain Dance, then either Thunders away or U-Turns out. Swampert should be able to come in easily on any attacks thrown at Zapdos. Roost is there for longevity, seeing as I might need it to come in and RD again later in the game.

Swampert @ Damp Rock
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Because my last team featured a "lead tandem" that worked quite well, I decided I should try it out again, and this time I chose Swampert to go with Zapdos. It can catch all the attacks that might get thrown at Zapdos easily and vice versa, so I should be able to switch between the two easy enough, and get a Rain Dance in. Swampert also carries SR, and two obligatory STAB moves, one of which is obviously boosted in the rain.

Sweeping trio: Ludicolo, Kingdra, Starmie
I decided to try and utilise Starmie as a mean rain sweeper, which I thought could work out really well considering its amazing speed and rain-boosted power... Here are my sweepers:

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 60 HP/252 SAtk/196 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Ludicolo needs no introduction in Rain Dance teams, does he? His great typing, sturdiness, Swift Swim ability and power allow him to lay down the law when it's raining. He's also my third and last Rain Dancer; I chose him for this role because he's likely to last long enough to pull one off. There might be things I could improve about this fairly standard moveset, though.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/16 Spd/240 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Signal Beam

Kingdra, like Ludicolo, is a tried-and-tested beast in the rain, so I don't think I need to justify my choice here. The moveset consists of Waterfall as a physical Water STAB, Hydro Pump as a special Water STAB (Hydro Pump > Surf for sheer power), Draco Meteor as a Dragon STAB, and Signal Beam for the 4th moveslot... destroys Celebi according to the analysis, but I remember not knowing what to fill this moveslot with when I made the team. Suggestions?

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Recover/Psychic?

Introducing LO Starmie being tried out for use in a Rain environment. It carries Surf for STAB and as its main weapon in the rain, and a modified Boltbeam combo: I use Thunder over TBolt, seeing as this set is intended for use in the rain. Either Psychic or Recover could close this moveset, but I'm not too sure what would be the best option.

I'm contemplating a few changes on this set, but I need some feedback:
- Timid or Modest nature? With a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump, I'm thinking I've got all the power I need, so need I invest any more using the Modest nature while sacrificing the extra speed I could get from Timid?
- Recover or Psychic? I'm not too sure about the last move in the set either. Should I go for a second LO-boosted STAB (not affected by Rain, though) or give Starmie more longevity using Recover?

The gopher: Scizor
As the glue that holds my leading duo and sweeping trio together, I thought Scizor might be of use. There might be better options for the sixth member of this team, but this is what I could come up with...

Scizor @ Damp Rock
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 SpD
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rain Dance
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Scizor functions as some sort of "team glue". Scizor is meant to switch in when the rain stops and set up another Rain Dance while forcing out the opposition, or quickly dispose of weakened enemies using Bullet Punch, or even try to get a SD in and wreak havoc as a sweeper. Superpower is chosen over Brick Break for more power, as suggested.

----------

- Other team options -

It might be an option for me to use Qwilfish over Swampert, as has been suggested to me by an online friend. Swampert provides decent defensive coverage and is a good Rain support Pokémon, but he isn't doing much offensively. Qwilfish could provide me with some physical power, as well as absorb Toxic Spikes, and even the opportunity to Explode in my opponent's face. Here's the set I was thinking of:

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Sp
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

If I use this Qwilfish over Swampert, I might lose some type coverage (see below) but I will have access to a powerful physical sweeper capable of destroying some of the special walls that bother my team sometimes. A +2 Waterfall in the rain is extremely deadly, as well as a +2 Explosion which will basically OHKO anything that isn't a Ghost.

What are your opinions about this Qwilfish replacing Swampert? I need some feedback, please.

----------

- Weaknesses/Resistances -

For those interested, I include my weaknesses/resistances chart. It shows no more than 2 weaknesses for any type, and resistances for all types. Click the thumbnail:

Note that this chart shows the weaks and resists for the 6 Pokémon listed as my current team, not with Qwilfish replacing Swampert. In that case, I'll lose my only Electric resist for another weakness, which means using Qwilfish might make me weak to fast Electric attackers like SpecsJolt or something. Thoughts?

----------

This is my third OU team ever, and also my first Rain Dance team, so I'm guessing this team could do with some improvement. Fire away!

Thanks!

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Since this is a Rain Dance team you can change around your Scizor's moveset in order to better fit the team. While you already have three Pokemon that can use Rain Dance I wouldn't rely on Ludicolo, who will be at least a bit hurt when Rain Dance is gone, to set up RD. Scizor can also set up Rain Dance while scaring off mons annoying to Rain teams like Tyranitar and Blissey with the ability to KO them both, here's the set I was thinking of

Scizor@Damp Rock
Adamant Nature
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 SpD
Ability:Technician
-Rain Dance
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower

So with this Scizor set you can still do some sweeping while still being able to set up Rain Dance. Superpower was chosen over Brick Break just to cause more damage and Bullet Punch is on there for the obvious reasons any Scizor has Bullet Punch. This set won't be killed by Blissey's Flamethrower because of the rain and a +2 Superpower is guaranteed to take down Blissey while still causing a good amount of damage to Skarmory switch-ins.

On your Starmie I would replace Choice Specs with Life Orb because your main STAB(I would go with Surf for the better accuracy) is already powered up by the rain but at least with Life Orb you can switch between your moves and not have to waste your time switching if you made an incorrect prediction with your locked in a move Starmie.

Thanks!

I edited in all of these changes (see blue italics). However, they raise some new questions that I need help answering. Please, RMT, show me some of your awesome skills and help a noobie out! ;)

for your starmie choose surf since the 50%boost gives it enough power already. be sure and go for surf, and recover. physic has little coverage! your scizor set is fine. and keep your ludicolo with rain dance. but switch in when it's raining then top up with ludicoclo when it ends.

To answer your Ludicolo question, you van never have too many Rain Dancers :)

Also have you considered a physical Ludicolo? The most common switch in's are Blissey and friends, expecting a special set, whrn really you boodt and then sweep.

Ludicolo@Life Orb
Adamant
Swift Swim
60 HP 252 Attk 196 Speed

-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Seed Bomb
-Ice Punch

Using physical Ludicolo could really help your team elimante special walls, allowing for a
Starmie sweep-not to mention the suprise factor when Blissey walks right into Swords Dance.

The only thing I would also suggest is have a fast pokemon (like Azelf or Crobat) to lead with Rain Dance and get the ball rolling quicker, but if Zapdos and Swampert work for you, then fair do's

Solid team :) Good luck and have fun :D

Thanks!

More info has been edited into the OP. I added a weakness/resistance chart for you to check out, but more importantly, I'm contemplating replacing Swampert with Qwilfish. Check out the OP for the set and explanation, and tell me what you think!

Cheers!

It looks like a very solid team.. But you now have 3 special rain dance sweepers.. Wich makes you blissey weak.. especially if Scizor is taken out.. So you could change ludicolo to kabutops.. He isn't OU, but he's almost to powerful in rain.. You should defintely consider it!

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Adamant ; 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Stone edge
Waterfall
Aqua Jet
Swords Dance

It's a beast in rain, trust me I know.. I use one in uber battles, and hit holds his ground in there.. Wich means it can certainly wreck havoc in OU! Consider it..

As far as you swampert/qwuilfish issue.. Hold swampert.. SR support can come in very handy for your team, as it helps you score some important KO's when rain is down..

Hope I helped!

Hey! Thanks for that! I'll try Kabutops out, but using him over Ludicolo would give my team 3 weaknesses to Grass-type attacks, 2 of which would be quadruple weaknesses... don't you think that would be a problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)