Starting out in 4th Gen OU. Rate my 1st team.

I've recently started playing 4th Gen because 5th Gen is getting repetitive for me. I made this team and it's been doing pretty well against random people. I've played about 7-8 games and only lost once. However i'm, sure there are holes in my strategy that I wanna work out before I'm satisfied.

Metagross @ Choice Band Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Stealth Rock

Choice Banded Gross really takes people by surpries and getting an early 6-5 lead happens a lot. if I face a lead I can't hurt (like Bronzong) I set up rocks and flee. SR is there really because I didn't have it on anyone else and it is, well, one of the most important moves in the game.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Gyarados/Roserade counter. Could change him for a different Poke. Works out though.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore
- Substitute

I run a hard Gyarados counter like P2 because Breloom here doesn't have Stone Edge.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

D-Nite is the only thing that can take a hit from Infernape who is otherwise a huge threat to my team. If D-Nite falls and my oppinent has Nape, it's gg.

Rotom-H @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate EVs: 16 HP / 240 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Substitute

Wanted to try this interesting set and it works nicely. Could switch it up though. Rapid spin blocker and fighting counter, 'cause of Blissey and P2 sharing that fighting weakness.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Yeah, Special wall. Thunder Wave is important because I don't have a scarfer.

I don't know how active this board is but i hope to get some feedback.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team, but I've got a few suggestions to improve it.

First, change Metagross's item from Choice Band to Lum Berry. I know Choice Band is working out for you, but let me explain why Lum Berry is the better option. Firstly, it lets you beat Sleep inducing leads like Roserade and Smeargle. As the put you to sleep, you hit them with as Lum Berry wakes you up. Then, simply finish them off with Bullet Punch, and you're 6-5 up with a full health mon! It also lets you beat Machamp 100% of the time, because you won't get haxed by Dynamicpunch, and Meteor Mash can't miss thanks to no guard. Secondly, it gives you the freedom to switch attacks, so you can beat the likes of Aerodactyl and other Focus Sash users with Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch. Having the freedom to switch attacks gives you the opportunity to mess up your opponent with prediction, as you can use Stealth Rock if you expect them to switch out, and won't have to bring Metagross back in again to get Stealth Rock up.

I think Ice Punch would fit better over Thunderpunch, as it lets you hit Roserade without having to resort to Meteor Mash and its shaky accuracy. It also lets you smash Gliscor, which usually has a good match-up against Metagross.

Infernape is a huge threat to your team. Since you're considering replacing Porygon2, I'm going to suggest replacing it with RestTalk Gyarados

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

This thing is a great reliable switch-in to Infernape, as well as pretty much any physical attacker. It has recover in Rest, so it doesn't mind hazards all that much. It also counters opposing gyarados, so it fulfills a similar purpose as Porygon2 did, too. RestTalk gyarados works very well with Blissey, as one can sponge special attacks and one can sponge the other. RestTalk Gyarados is also good at phazing, so it'll work well with Lum Berry Metagross, because it'll be easier to get entry hazards up with the freedom to switch attacks.

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped!

Also, you should probably expand your descriptions a bit, or the thread might be locked.

Thanks for the feedback. about replacing thunder Punch for Ice Punch though...If I replace Porygon2 with Gyarados, surely Gyarados would work as a counter for Gliscor in itself. Opposing Gyarados are hard to deal with without Rotom so T-Punch on Metagross is quite valuable as Rotom can't switch in to Gyarados.

What do you think? Is Ice Punch really necessary?

Only had a breif glance, but will probably look back later... something I would do is run Jolly nature and 252 speed on Breloom, since it then outspeeds any Gyarados, Dragonite, Heatran and Mamoswine that lack a speed boosting nature (Considering that Gyarados and Dragonite have Dragon Dance and Mamoswine runs Ice Shard, this may well be the case) and be able to spore them before they can Dragon Dance, or stop Mamoswine before damage is done if chooses not to Ice Shard on a predicted switch (however Breloom can take one Ice Shard after EH damage, and reply with a Focus Punch, OHKOing Mamoswine or putting a dent in the switch-in, but it's nice to have a chance of avoiding damage).

The extra power from Adamant is nice, but generally a pokemon outsped by Breloom is a pokemon beaten by Breloom.

(from stat calculator, Adamant Gyarados with 252 speed EVs reaches 261 speed, Jolly Breloom with 252 speed EVs reaches 262 speed)

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Moo told you almost everything about how to improve your team, but I would edit the spread of Gyarados.
With this spread, in fact, you'll NEVER OHKed +2 Infernape and Grass Knot. with this spread and Blissey's wish will allow you to better deal SubplitGar, that's all, Good Luck!

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 106 Def / 160 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

Hey, I have some things to hopefully improve your team.

First the Metagross lead, I think it is better to change the item to Lum Berry so you can beat leads like Machamp, Roserade and other status inducing leads. I would also change the ev spread slightly: 200 hp, 232 att, 44 spdef, 32 speed so you're sure you can take lead Azelf's Fire Blast and don't need an occa berry. Change Thunderpunch to Earthquake since thunderpunch works best on sets with Agility. I don't think Ice Punch is that good since with only steel and Ice types you don't have a good movepool. With EQ you can beat opposing Meta leads and prob Infernape.

Next there's Rotom. I think you're better off with a Choice Scarf set, so you can revenge kill Gyara at + 1 and also do something against Infernape since a Tbolt + SR does around 85% damage to Ape so with something more residual damage you can beat Ape. Hydro Pump kills off course. Every team practically needs a choice scarfer. Here's the set:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 Spatt/ 252 Speed
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Something that came to my mind was Tentacruel. It has access to Rapid Spin, so your Dnite can set up better. It also gives you a Water type user and a counter to Infernape which your team has troubles with. Rotom-W can take it with Hydro Pump, but with its shaky accuracy Tentacruel seems a solid choice besides Rotom-W. I think it is best to use it over Porygon2 since I doesn't seems like it fits in your team. It can serve as a Gyarados counter, but since you have Rotom and SR, Porygon2 isn't really that important anymore. This is the set that should work for you:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 hp, 120 def, 136 speed
Calm Nature (+Spdef, -Att)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Hp Electric

I do have more suggestions, but this is just to push you into the right direction. Hope I helped you and good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)