Storm the front

Hi guys! I’m new here to Smogon, and here’s a team that I’ve played with for quite awhile. It’s a rain team with a mix of offense and defense, leaning more towards the former. My main goal is to (mostly) help set up for a Jolteon sweep, coz’ specs boosted Thunder + Rain = sexy! I use this team to rain down deadly weather storms on my opponent with specs boosted Thunders and Hurricanes, hence my topic title =). I’ve done pretty well with this team on PO wifi-OU, reaching a peak of around 500, and rarely dropping below 4000. Of course, every team is not without its flaws, and I intend to address that later.

Team history:
1/ Jolteon is my favorite Eeveelution, so I decided I’ve got to make a team based around her. Since I intend to spam powerful Thunders with her, naturally I chose to go with a rain team.

2/ I decided to bring in a partner for Jolteon as a secondary sweeper to weaken most of Jolteon’s counters, and realized that my second choice can also sweep well in his own right. That partner is Tornadus. Incidentally, Jolteon & Tornadus happen to form a Volt-turn combo, which is nice.

3/ Next, I decided on someone who can set up entry hazards. I chose Forretress, since he’s a rather reliable at it, with neat little package of Stealth Rock, Spikes, & Rapid Spin in the same set. I thought Rapid Spin would definitely benefit my special sweepers, who’d be doing lots of Volt-turns. Rain also helps neuter Forry’s weakness, especially those random HP fire attacks from Lati@s and Rotom-W, for example.

4/ After that, I realized that my team is very special based, walled by fat pink eggs. I chose Gliscor at first because he can easily find ways to Swords Dance, and with Roost, can even pull of a second dance. Therefore, in came acrobat Gliscor.

5/ For my final team member, I also chose a physical attacker, and I decided on 1 who isn’t as afraid of burns, because a combo of Blissey + ghost can wall my whole team if Gliscor got burned. I chose Breloom for the job.

6/ After some playing for awhile, I realized that I have nobody who can reliably take strong water attacks. Breloom still gets 2HKO’ed in the rain, and Politoed alone can’t be expected to eat strong Hydro Pumps, especially when I didn’t use leftovers on him. I decided to replace Forry with Ferro because I often find opponents using Forry as set-up bait. At least with Ferro, not only I get a nice water and electric resist, I can cripple would be set-up sweepers with Thunder Wave. I also found that I didn’t use Volt-turn as often as I expected to, so loss of Rapid Spin wasn’t a big deal.

7/ I found Gliscor to be rather underwhelming, dying to lots of random Hidden Powers or Ice Beams (from Blissey). I decided to replace Gliscor with another old-favorite: Toxicroak, which is excellent in the rain.

So here is my current finalized team.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest
252 HP/252 Sp Att/4 Speed

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Perish Song

Politoed sets up the rain for Jolteon & Tornadus, while also hitting hard himself. Modest-specs boosted Hydro Pump destroys lots of things, like OHKO on Scizor, and 2HKO resistors such as Starmie and Salamence. Choice Perish Song, as silly as it seems, has gotten me out of many tight situations, end ending sweeps for many opponents. Example would be against Reuniclus and Latias. Most people would expect you to switch out after Perish Song anyway, and they certainly won’t expect specs with Perish Song.

I used max HP instead of speed because firstly, I want to make sure I always get rain up if I lead against Ninetales. Secondly, since I’m using Perish Song, I’d like Politoed to be able to take a hit before singing. And finally, due to decent bulk, Politoed can be an emergency check to some things, such as Terrakion and Gyarados.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Timid
252 Sp Att/252 Speed/4 HP

Volt Switch
Thunder
Hidden Power Ice
Signal Beam

My main star, she has pulled off many sweeps once I’ve removed the opponent’s ground type. Usually, Volt Switch and Thunder are the only attacks that I only use. I use Hidden Power on predicted switches, although I try not to rely on that if possible. I choose Ice over Grass because checking the threat of Gliscor, Landorus, and the occasional Flygon is more valuable than checking Gastrodon and Swampert. Sngnal Beam is filler, mainly for Lati@s, Abomasnow, and Celebi, but again, I hardly ever use it.

OK, need your opinion on this. I have considered Modest over Timid to score even more OHKO’s without relying on Stealth Rock. Only Pokemon that now outrun me are Starmie, which can’t do much to Ferrothorn; Alakazam, and Azelf. I must admit, those two are quite dangerous to my team, so if I run Modest, I may need to use Politoed as emergency check to them. Toxicroak also checks them well, but if Alakazam has sash, then I’m in trouble. What do you all think? Would it be OK to switch to Modest?

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Timid
252 Sp Att/252 Speed/4 HP

Hurricane
U-turn
Focus Blast
Taunt

Tornadus is Jolteon’s Volt-turn partner. Hurricane ravages through towns teams, scoring 2HKO on everything whose name is not Blissey, Tyranitar, Magnezone, or Heatran. Focus Blast deals with the latter 3; choice Taunt, again might seems silly, but shutting Skarmory, Mew, BP, and Ferrothorn is too good to pass up. Orignially, back when I first made Tornadus I had Life Orb instead of Choice Specs, but recoil + Stealth Rock means Tornadus dies very fast, so I changed to Specs. Perhaps I could use Sharp Beak, but 20% boost isn’t high enough. For now, I’ll leave Taunt in since I’m not really sure what else to put as filler anyway. Your thoughts?

Timid is a must here since many more dangerous Pokemon can outrun me if I switch to Modest.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/88 Def/168 Sp Def

Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave
Power Whip
Bulldoze

Ferro is used to set up Stealth Rock, making Dragonite and Volcarona a lot easier to deal with. Thunder Wave cripples most would be switch ins. I tend to use Thunder Wave as my first move since most grounds won’t want to eat a STAB Power Whip. I used to have Spikes, but I realized (even back then when using Forry), that I don’t have time to lay them. Also, I have no ghosts, so I decided not to waste time with them. I replaced Spikes with Bulldoze; it allows me to beat Magnezones who try to trap me and pull off a Sub-Charge Beam sweep.

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
Adamant
Dry Skin
244 HP/252 Att/12 Def

Drain Punch
Bulk Up
Substitute
Sucker Punch

Toxicroak surprisingly is one of the most resilient Pokemon in my team. His multitude of resistances patches a number of defensive holes in my team.

Substitute + Bulk Up means that most physical moves will soon struggle to break him, even non-STAB EQ won’t hurt if I manage to BU twice. I then get back my HP through Drain Punch, Dry Skin regen, and leftovers. Sucker Punch provides a priority attack, and serves as excellent check against most psychics. Toxicroak has pulled off many sweeps on his own due to sheer resilience.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
Poison Heal
12 HP/244 Att/252 Speed

Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb

Breloom disables someone with Spore, and then she gets up a sub. STAB Focus Punch hits things real hard, and Seed Bomb is for secondary STAB. Nothing much to say, Breloom causes many people to ragequit for beingly annoying.

Breloom however, adds an unwanted Psychic weakness, and this team is already quite vulnerable to Alakazam as it is (assuming I switch Jolteon to Modest). So if I were to replace anyone, it would be Breloom. I’m just not sure who to replace with. Her speed is also underwhelming. I’m not even sure if I should run max speed (needed to at worst tie with offensive Politoed), or focus on her bulk instead. Your thoughts?

Leading

As with most rain teams I lead with Politoed. If I face another rain team, I lead with Jolteon instead. If I meet Rotom leads on Rain teams with Jolteon lead, I hard switch to Ferro in case of scarf. If I see Smeargle or Ninjask in team preview, I lead with Tornadus. I also lead with Tornadus against sand teams to hopefully score a hit on lead T-tar with U-turn.

Weather war

If Politoed start against Ninetales, I always will have rain up, so I soak her with Hydro Pump, even if she stays in to Sunny Day, she’ll still take a heavy hit. One thing to note here is that I don’t really have anyone that takes fire attacks well here besides Politoed, so I usually bring in Tornadus into Solar Beam, and bring Politoed back to cancel sun. Therefore, my biggest concern here is if I lose weather war against Sun teams. If I do, it usually is game over for me, and I have to rely on 50% accurate Thunder and Hurricane to bring me through the match.
Rarely do I ever lose weather war against sand. T-tar is no problem at all; Toxicroak and Breloom can handle him quite well. Same goes for Hippowdon, who’s easily dealt with by Politoed and Breloom.
Abomasnow is actually quite dangerous to my team as well. In the rare instances where I face a hail team, I try to Drain Punch Abomasnow with Toxicroak, hopefully recovering from Aboma’s painful STAB Blizzard. Jolteon Signal Beam serves as emergency check.

Other issues

Conbination of Gliscor + Blissey/Chansey is quite annoying to this team. Gliscor walls my two physical attackers, while Blissey easily laughs at the rest. Usually, I try to wear Blissey down with powerful hits from Politoed, forcing her to Wish. At least if she’s already taken prior damage I can finish her off. May other way is to hope to catch Jolteon with HP Ice on Gliscor switch-ins. It actually happens quite often since many people don’t want to let me Volt Switch. Otherwise, Gliscor + Blissey/Chansey on the same team is of my biggest defensive concern.

There you have it. Any advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

Importable:
Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Focus Blast

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Substitute
- Seed Bomb

Toxicroak (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- U-turn

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Bulldoze
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Nice team, but i have a suggestion...instead of copying the whole team (the moves sets and EV's spread, you can follow this steps:

1. Go to team builder
2. Load the team you wanna post
3. On the bottom left of the team layer there is a button that says : "Export Team", click on that and then copy what there's going to appear.

Hope it helped you :D

Thanks for that tip. I didn't realized you could do that.

Sure makes it easier. I'll make note on that if I ever post another RMT thread. :D

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Nice work on presenting this team. It was easy and enjoyable to read. The biggest issue that pops out to me regarding this team is Breloom. Toxicroak does everything you need Breloom to do, but it does it in a way that better fits the team synergy. In other words Breloom is mostly redundant on this team. I would suggest switching it out with something like this:

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost / ExtremeSpeed

This set provides a mixture of bulk and instant power that will help your team put more pressure on the opponent. Dragonite is unfortunately Stealth Rock weak, but access to Roost should mitigate this weakness some. Dragonite can also run ExtremeSpeed if you feel your team needs more revenge killing prowess versus faster threats such as Alakazam.

You could also consider running a Calm Mind Latios or Latias set to add a faster element to your late game attackers. The issue you could run into though is being too specially oriented and unable to break certain walls and defensive cores. If you choose to run Lati@s I suggest running Psyshock to give your team some mixed spectrum coverage.

As a side note I would also change Bulldoze on Ferrothorn to Spikes. The entry hazard damage is worth far more in the long run than being able to nail Magnezone. Spikes will also help wear down more stall oriented teams which could pose a problem to your specs based attackers. I hope these suggestions helped!

I would recommend not switching to modest unless you find a better way to check alakazam, because as of now you're pretty weak to alakazam as it is. Maybe switch tornadus to scarf? Just a suggestion. Also, speaking of tornadus I would recommend switching focus blast to hammer arm. In my experience with focus blast, the actual accuracy is closer to 0%, and it only hits when you don't need it to. Second, hammer arm will probably hit tyranitar, blissey and heatran just as hard, as most of them run specially defensive sets anyway and the accuracy of hammer arm isn't quite as horrible as focus blast's.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hello, nice team
Although this change is purely your call, I suggest running a Choice Scarf Politoed over your current Specs version. Having 3 Specs pokemon leaves you with a bit of unbalance and running scarf allows you to revenge kill and hit hard with rain boosted water STAB. The set remains the exact same as your current Toed set except you switch the HP into Spd and change nature from Modest to Timid. Then again Specs toed works well too and you may not wish to change the sets over.
Now one change i definitly recomend you make is switching Breloom with a Bulky Swords Dance Scizor. Not only does he provide you with a secondary priority move, he is dam near impossible to KO under rain. His durability and typing also complements the team well
Scizor @ Iron Plate
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpAtk)
Trait: Technician
EV's: 252HP/80Atk/160SpDef/16Spd
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite
-Roost
-Bullet Punch
Patches up your Kazam weakness while being completly awesome and powerful. Anything that doesn't resist your Bug Bite will preety much die and Bullet Punch is ever usefull. Roosting at the right time can even allow you to get off an additional Swords Dance making you nigh impossible to stop. Scizors counters are also handled well by the other members of the team and his Resistances are just another perk. The given EV's make your bulk exactly equal while still having some Atk to hit hard right off the bat. The Spd EV's are here to outspeed other scizor. You would be suprised how often this comes in handy
Hope I Helped

You have nothing to switch into a Choice Scarfed Terrakion, your entire team gets outsped and 2HKO'ed. Since Terrakion is very high in usage, that could cripple your team from succeeding. I agree with Breloom and Toxicroak being kind of redundant and, since you run a rain team, Toxicroak being the better bet. I would advise you to build a solid Defensive Core, consisting of two Pokémon that compliment each others weaknesses. A Viable Partners for Ferrothorn would be a Physically Defensive Skarmory or a Slowbro. With this you also add another Psychich-Resistance to your team which is definitely needed.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell/Rocky Helmet/Leftovers

248 HP (Odd Number for Stealth Rock switch ins)
252 Defense
X Speed (You can speed creep if you want to to outspeed other Skarmorys in order to win the whirlwind war)

Whirlwind
Roost
Stealth Rock/Spikes (Frees up one move slot for Ferrothorn)
Drill Peck/Brave Bird (Drill Peck preferred if you're running Rocky Helet or Shed Shell)

or

Slowbro @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

248 HP/232 Def/ 24 SpD

Scald/Fire Blast
Ice Beam/Psychic/Psyschock
Slack-Off
Thunder Wave/Toxic

Slowbro is a very strong Physical Wall, not only defensively. After Multiscale is broken it gets the OHKO on Dragonite with it's Ice Beam, same for Salamence. Scald for the chance to burn on the Switch-In, Psychic if you have trouble with Conkeldurr, since Slowbro is naturally slower his Payback will only have 50 Base Power, that way you can easily wall him.

Even though 2 of your specs pokes have 110+ speed, i think many +1 pokes can outspeed every member of the team. I know sweepers can't easily come in your attacks, but they can use a death fodder to set up on choice locked resisted attacks and threaten your whole team.
Seeing as you only have sucker punch as priority, i think you should give Tornadus a scarf, or maybe change Taunt to Tailwind, as a last resort check to some pokes you let setup.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey there, nice team!

Like already mentioned, 3 Specs pokes is a bit to much. I suggest changing Politoed to a ScarfToad. This will help your team revenging some threats, while be a bit unpredictable and kill some threats thinking they will outspeed. Also a nice set is Baton Pass Jolteon. Passing a sub is always nice, but then you have to let Volt-Switch go. Toxicroak and Breloom have the same idea, so i suggest changing Breloom to Dragon Dance Dragonite. He fits very well on rain teams, and he like subs from Jolteon. Hope i helped! Got ninja'd bye Lockeness.
Change Taunt on Tornadus to Tailwind, this can help in nasty situations.
Sets

Politoed @Choice Scarf
Timid, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4HP
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Grass
-Ice Beam
-Perish Song

Jolteon @Expert Belt/Leftovers
Timid, 252Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4HP
-Thunder
-HP Ice
-Baton Pass
-Substitute

Dragonite @Lum Berry
Adamant, 252Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-ExtremeSpeed

Grass knot over taunt on Tornadus the ability to smash Gastrodon coming in to tank a hit is great and i agree with zorodark on the scraf politoed

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! I'll definitely be replacing Breloom on this team.

@Politoed: I'll try around with scarf for a change, since getting surprise factor on some faster stuff would be kinda nice. Also a fast Perish Song wouldn't hurt too! ^^ This of course means that I can't lead Politoed against Ninetales as sun will override due to slower drought.

@Ferrothorn: I'll try around Leech Seed. Spikes is nice, but as mentioned before, I barely have time to set them up, plus no ghost. I'll also try out Shed Shell as well to run from Magnezone(although to be fair, Jolteon doesn't fear Magnezone at all, so I actually shouldn't worry about sub-Charge Beam Magnezone).

@Jolteon: I'm sticking with Specs. Boosted Thunders easily destroy things, like . And I've also decided to not play Modest due to 1 reason - using Jolteon as an emergency check to Gyarados with +1 speed (hope no Jolly, which luckily isn't very common)

@Tornadus: Again, I'll be keeping Specs. I'll experiment around with Tailwind and Grass Knot over Taunt. I've also decided to take elemonator's advice and use Hammer Arm over Focus Blast. Dropped speed and defenses sucks (need to use Naive or Hasty) though...I'll see if the dropped stats affects Tornadus badly or not.

@Toxicroak: No change here. He does a fine job walling a huge amount of things with his multiple resistances.

I have personally never been afraid of Terrakion with this team, especially scarfed ones. Worse comes to worst I sac whoever he's revenging to him (usually Terrakion will be using a STAB move) and then get free bulk ups/sub with Toxicroak since he resists Terrakion's STABs. (He could EQ, but that's a risk I'm willing to take, plus I can bring in Tornadus or Ferrothorn instead). I actually fear sub-SD-gem set more than scarf, but at least, I know that Tornadus or Jolteon can outrun that set.

I like the idea of Lum Berry on Dragonite, as well as the Scizor set Asek posted. I'll definitely be testing around, seems like I'll likely replace Breloom with Dragonite or Scizor.

Slowbro's an interesting idea, but it means that I only have 1 physical attacker. I'll need Toxic to stall Blissey out though, so if I try Slowbro, the last slot will be Toxic, (and hope she doesn't have it too).

Not too sure about Skarm...I'll definitely give a try too, but I don't like the thought of having 2 Pokemon that can get trapped by Magz.

Once again, I really appreciate all your comments and ideas. Thanks so much! I'll be posting back here on my results after some playtesting with the various options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)