Suicune Discussion

Suicune returns for another generation to bash its opponents to oblivion. It, along with the rest of its trio, are stuck in Generation 5 UU, a big step down for Suicune. However, there are plenty of threats for it to check in UU, namely Victini, as it can come in on any attack not named Fusion Bolt and OHKO or do massive damage with Surf. However, it has to watch out for Pokemon who get STAB on super-effective attacks, namely Zapdos, Celebi, and Shaymin.

The main set should probably look something like this:

name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Fire
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Almost a direct C/P from the analysis. However, HP Fire seems to be massively more useful for taking care of threats that are weak to it, namely Kyurem, Heracross, Bisharp, and Celebi among others.

name: CroCune
move 1: Scald / Surf
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Discuss.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A lot of people are using this set:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold, 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp Def
-Surf
-Roar
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This set is massively useful in countering the usual smashpass strategy.

I can vouch for the set Ray Jay posted. Its extremely hard to break, counters almost every physical attacker in the metagame, and racks up hazard damage very effectively. It also counters smashpass which is great for any team.

HP Fire seems to be massively more useful for taking care of threats that are weak to it, namely Kyurem, Heracross, Bisharp, and Celebi among others.
Just wanted to point out that Kyurem isn't weak to HP Fire. Both Kyurem and Celebi are hit harder by Ice Beam, which is listed in your set.

Myself, I use a combination of the offensive Calm Mind set and CroCune that's incredibly effective:

Suicune @Leftovers
Bold - 252 HP/252 Defense/ 4 Sp. Defense
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Rest

This set combines the longevity of CroCune with the better coverage of an offensive set. With max defenses + Scald's burn rate, this Suicune stops just about every physical threat in the game, and after a few Calm Minds, it's Special Defense becomes high enough that it can tank out the two turns of rest (barring certain exceptionally hard hitting physical attackers).
The reason why you have Ice Beam over Sleep Talk is that it allows you to get past a lot of things that Suicune other wise has a lot of trouble with, as well as hitting top threats super-effectively (i.e., Dragonite). I don't often recommend sets (so this might be rubbish) but hey, I do know that I've pulled off an incredible amount of sweeps with it.

Well, I wouldn't call base 85 Speed slow, while at the same time having twin 115 Defenses. 100 base HP helps too.

That and a few calm minds is certainly enough to get the job done.

Scald is far more useful in Corcune, he's one of the best pices of my stall team, an awesome poke, and when kyurem is banned it will show it's true potential since he only fears Draco Meteor, Corcune is awesome and it's great that some good poke get the chance to shyne

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can see that Suicune may have some competition with Slowbro and Milotic, because they have the one thing that Suicune really craves- a recovery move outside of Rest. However, those amazing 100/115/115 defenses cannot go unnoticed, and that will make it a top-tier UU Pokemon after Drought is nerf'd (assuming Suicune doesn't get banished to BL :P).

CM Roar with Spikes support from Deo-D is pretty insane. It checks Baton Pass, and it's one of very few things that can avoid a 2HKO from Victini in the sun, though it has a chance if Adamant Choice Band with Stealth Rock.

Myself, I use a combination of the offensive Calm Mind set and CroCune that's incredibly effective:

Suicune @Leftovers
Bold - 252 HP/252 Defense/ 4 Sp. Defense
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Rest

This set combines the longevity of CroCune with the better coverage of an offensive set. With max defenses + Scald's burn rate, this Suicune stops just about every physical threat in the game, and after a few Calm Minds, it's Special Defense becomes high enough that it can tank out the two turns of rest (barring certain exceptionally hard hitting physical attackers).
The reason why you have Ice Beam over Sleep Talk is that it allows you to get past a lot of things that Suicune other wise has a lot of trouble with, as well as hitting top threats super-effectively (i.e., Dragonite). I don't often recommend sets (so this might be rubbish) but hey, I do know that I've pulled off an incredible amount of sweeps with it.
Dragonite is OU. Also, Gen V sleep mechanics make Chesto Berry or Sleep Talk practically mandatory...

Just a random thought here... on 2 attack sets HP Dragon seems like it could certainly be an option. Empoleon & Ferroseed get to wall you, sure. However, HP Dragon hits Kyurem/Kingdra a lot harder than neutral Ice Beam, which they can set up on. Grass-types aren't as hard to take care of as Dragons.

Hmm true. Well in that case, I guess Roar is needed since otherwise Kingdra is capable of setting up on/with you and KOing with Outrage. It would also stop Kyurem that tries to set up a Sub, although since Kyurem outspeeds Suicune, Dragon Tail still forces you out. Is it worth not running Rest though?

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Surf/Scald
- Toxic/Ice Beam/HP[Dragon]

easy, EV's + nature are interchangeable other than HP. Have Fun with that. Toxic + Surf is probably the best version.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Surf/Scald
- Toxic/Ice Beam/HP[Dragon]

easy, EV's + nature are interchangeable other than HP. Have Fun with that. Toxic + Surf is probably the best version.
If I'm not mistaken, NatGeo just explained why HP-Fighting is better than HP-Dragon.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tell me how offensive Suicune is "good". It simply dies quick while being slow and weak.
Try it out first before you say anything. Just a tip. I don't know if it's any good, as I've never used Suicune in Gen IV or V but if you haven't tried it don't say it's bad.

Try it out first before you say anything. Just a tip. I don't know if it's any good, as I've never used Suicune in Gen IV or V but if you haven't tried it don't say it's bad.
I have an EV'ed Timid Suicune on Platinum with the offensive set. I've tried it.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Offensive suicune works in the same way that offensive tentacruel does. Under the guise of being a bulky wall, you lure in things that would normally threaten you out and pummel them with that base 120 STAB Hydro Pump.

Offensive suicune works in the same way that offensive tentacruel does. Under the guise of being a bulky wall, you lure in things that would normally threaten you out and pummel them with that base 120 STAB Hydro Pump.
Or the Hydro Pump misses, then they outspeed and OHKO you due to no investment.

Ahh, in that case Tyranitar sucks, after all the Stone Edge misses and they can just OHKO you due to 4x fighting weakness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)