SM OU SUN & MOON BULKY OFFENSE - MIGHTY FUN SPLASHER

I KNOW THIS TOPIC IS FOR ORAS OU, BUT WE DON'T HAVE ANY TOPIC FOR SM OU YET, SO I'M POSTING THIS HERE ANYWAYS...

Introduction

I choose this music cuz' Sun & Moon is pretty fun

Sun Moon has just came out, and after a few days playing on Showdown, I quickly realised how powerful the Tapu's were, Specially Lele and Bulu, so I wanted to make a quick team to use with them, and without using those crazy annoying threats like Zygrade 100 (which is now banned) Phermosa, Aegislash, Genesect, Landorus-I and Greninja. Though, after some more days I realised that the team was not functioning the way I wanted it too, and I was loosing lots of games, even though I couldn't detect a huge weakness to anything from just looking at the team. Thats why I'm posting this, so that I can get help from you guys on how to fix this team and allow it to perform better

Teambuilding Process

I started with Lele because Psychic + Psychic Surge has a number very close to zero of switch-ins, also, Psychic Terrain is very useful as it blocks priority and allows Lele to deal with Scizor and possibly weakened Aegislash, as their priority won't hit.

Tapu Bulu is another extreme wallbreaker, Wood Hammer hits devastatingly hard, and access to Horn Leech and above average bulk means it can stay in the battlefield for sometime.

After realising the team was very weak to Birdspam, I needed pokémon like Landorus-T to help me deal with that problem, Landorus also has very good bulk and hits surprisingly hard for a bulkier pokemon.

Heatran allowed me to deal better with opposing Grass and Fairy types, and I felt like it had synergy with the rest of the team as well.

Latios is my Defogger and due to his high Speed and SpA stats he can help the team by revenge killing some threats. Switching into Draco Meteor is also quite difficult too.

Weavile allows me revenge kill too and deals amazingly agains opposing Landorus, that otherwise would guve me trouble. Pusuit is also appreciated by Lele and Latios a lot.

The Team

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Tapu Lele is my special wallbreaker, and has very few switch-ins, Psychic is obligatory here as deals massive amounts of damage even to resists. Moonblast is my other STAB and it helps a lot for Dark-types, which are immune to Psychic. Focus Blast allows Lele to hit Heatran and other Steel-Types and HP Fire can help Lele 1v1 Scizor, as it can't Bullet Punch under Psychic Terrain and cannot outspeed either.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
Tapu Bulu is as hard to switch-in to as Lele is. Wood Hammer can even OHKO Uninvested Lando-T even after Intimidate so that's not a switch-in. Horn Leech allows Bulu to recover HP and together with Grassy Surge can help Bulu last longer. Superpower can deal with Steel-Types and Stone Edge is useful for Flying-Types, but most of the time, you'll be clicking Wood Hammer or Horn Leech. Unfortunately, Bulu doesn't have a single Physical Fairy move, so he cannot utilize his Fairy STAB at all. Speed investment is to outspeed uninvested Suicune/Tapu Fini

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 172 Atk / 52 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn
This spread and Assault Vest looks extremely weird, but hear me out, I figured Lando-T didn't need SR as Heatran already had those, and AV can help Lanodus switch-in to stuff like Aegislash's Shadow Ball and Heatran's Lava Plume (In case I have to risk a Burn). EQ is run for STAB, Stone Edge can help with Birdspam, and both Knock Off and U-Turn are there for utility purposes mostly. The HP Investment allows Landorus to live a Specs Raikou's HP Ice, and the Def Investment, after the HP Investment allows Landorus-T to live a +1 Mega Pinsir's Return after Stealth Rocks, which would otherwise be a huge threat to the team. Finally, The Speed investment allows Landorus-T to outspeed Jolly Bisharp/Breloom.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
Heatran has Lava Plume aka Fire Scald and Flash Cannon for the fairies. Earth Power allows me to deal with opposing Heatran and Magnezone. Stealth Rocks is here cuz' Lando is AV. The Speed inestment allows Heatran to outspeed 252 Adamant Excadrill without Sand, the rest of the EVs are thrown into SpA

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog
Latios is running the standard Recover + Defog + Double STAB Set, and honestly, it is very effecticive, the team, aside from Weavile, isn't particularly weak to Rocks, but as the team forces so many switches, Hazard control is better. I know that for this team of team, Rapid Spin might be prefered, but I'm not a huge Starmie fan and I feel like Latios does the job better. Draco is very powerful comiing off from that 130 base SpA and Psyshock hits things on the physical side.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
Weavile is very useful to Trap opponents and Ice STAB looked very healthy for the team. The Dark typing also helps me deal woth opposing Psychic and Ghost-types, that the team had some weaknesses to. Ice Shard, even though it doesn't really pair well with Psychic Terrain is always useful, and as Weavile is very fast, Ice Shard is normally run to outprioritize opposing priority users. Pursuit is very obvious, as it helps me trap opposing Psychic/Ghost threats.

Conclusion

I feel like the team turned out quite well, but mostly, I end loosing my games by a very small margin, and that's why I'm posting this here, please give me some advice!! And if you want to, have fun using this team :)

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 104 HP / 172 Atk / 52 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

I will say one thing: the ice weakness is real, and it certainly can't be handled by heatran alone, especially in a meta where dugtrio thrives. And once Heatran's gone the steel weakness becomes very real as well. I mean, yeah, you have weavile to pursuit trap duggy, but duggy will find heatran
and he will
faint him.

:v4:
So you need another tubby mon that isn't heatran

Happy team building :D

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi, it's pretty early in SuMo, but I'll try to give you some feedback.
Your team has troube with Celesteela (and Ferrothorn), Celesteela Leech Seeds Heatran, Protects, wears it down, Earthquakes it on the swich into your mons that deal with it. Ferro can spike up, because it walls Lati and Weavile, so we should try to figure out how to break these steel mons more effectively.
If they pair Celesteela with Toxapex, your chances of breaking through that core will be very low, as they can switch around wearing your team down bit by bit.
You also lack a water type, so dealing with opposing Water types like Tapu Fini or Toxapex and Fire Types like Salazzle or Marowak will be difficult.
Then, there are no switchins to fighting types like Pheromosa predomonantly, Buzzwhole will give you trouble too.

By changing Latios to Tapu Fini, you add a water type to the team, which also has access to Defog, while acting as a Water and Fighting resist. A defensive set can take strong physical hits more easily. Natures Madness allows you to dent problematic walls like Celesteela, opposing Tapu Fini and Toxapex, taking half their HP.

We have a Water/Steel/Ground core now, in Tapu Fini, Heatran, Landorus, which is a good bulky defensive backbone.
Since Tapu Fini adds a bit of special bulk, you can run a defensive set on Lando-T, Assault Vest isn't a good item for it. Rocky Helmet will punish and weaken U-turns and it's still able to take a few hits from Tapu Koko while making your opponent think twice before trying to Volt Switch. Against Pheromosa or Genesect for example, you can try to outplay your opponent, racking up LO damage or forcing them to lock themselves into a move if they are choiced.

On Heatran, if you are running a more offensive set, just run max SpA and speed, while changing the set to Fire Blast(Flamethower)/Flash Cannon/Earth Power/Solar Beam, but with Grassium-Z, that way you can surprise bulky waters like Tapu Fini, and damage them for Weavile (and Hoopa, see below), which then has better chances to sweep.

I'm not quite happy with your offensive core of Weavile/Bulu/Lele, because they don't break too well for each other (walled by steel) so I'll change a few things.
First, I recommend Hoopa-U over Tapu Bulu, that way you get a dark spam theme into your team and have less problems breaking defensive cores. Almost any bulky team without Mandibuzz has problems with physical Hoopa, and wearing the Dark check down, for example any of the Tapus, brings them in range of Weaviles attacks. There are many special attackers out there at the moment and Hoopa takes most special hits, so playing Hoopa aggresively and trading 1v1, for example against Lando-I can save you from many problems.

Now that Hoopa is the breaker, I recommend using Scarf Tapu Lele, with a timid nature, that way you outspeed Pheromosa and other Scarfers below 317. It also saves Weavile (and Hoopa) from priority late game. The breaker roles are now on Hoopa and Heatran, and Lele + Weavile can try to clean up the rest.

Tell me how it went, I'd really like to know. If you have questions, then let me know. good luck!

Edit: here is a test run I did with the team on ~1400 on the ladder. I think the plays in early game are self explanatory. he let me hit his fini with bloom doom, that way hoopa could destroy his team. in end game I tried to sweep with lele or weavile. getting up rocks had priority, to keep the zard low, so I needed to keep Lando, that's why I stayed in with hoopa on pheromosa. with ferro and fini gone, it was easy to prepare a sweep with lele or weavile

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Surf
- Moonblast

Last edited:
NP, NP, but honestly mil is literally the only person you have to thank, I should've analysed more, I was just rushed and wanted to get a quick RMT in. But yeah, like mil said, have fun with this team, dude :D
Thanks a lot guys!! As I've said, this is mostly a team for fun, but I definitely agree with your advices!! I'm testing them soon and seeing how it works out :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)