Sun & Moon UU Speculation and Discussion Thread - Updated with UU Alpha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave / Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock / Pain Split / Psyshock / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire

Kind of surprised no one is talking about this thing, as it seems to be a really good mon to me imo. Rock/Poison is a pretty good offensive typing, and 103 base speed means it can outspeed most of our common ground types (Krook, Mamo, Swamp) and grass knot them. It can also outspeed this list of common mons, Celebi, Hydreigon, Entei, Gyarados, Kyurem, and Heracross while doing a ton of damage to all of them. Plus it has a ton of options, and having beast boost boost spa means that people can have a hard time checking it after it gets a kill. Plus it has a ton of options it can run. Want hazards, use hazards. Want to kill darks, run Dazzling Gleam. It's excellent spdef also means it wins 1v1 against most of the tier's special attackers. Just be careful of priority and scarf physical attackers, since it really doesn't have much defense.

Just some calcs
It can check (or even switch in too) entei well
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 424-502 (114.2 - 135.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 223-263 (62.1 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It OHKO's all offensive Celebi's, and does a bunch of damage to defensive ones.
0 SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 64-76 (17.8 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Sludge Bomb vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 377-447 (94 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 194-230 (54 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hydrei isn't a problem, as long as it doesn't have Earth power
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 212-251 (59 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 207-243 (63.6 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 107-126 (29.8 - 35%) -- 14.4% chance to 3HKO

Suicune can't switch in, but it beats Nihilego if it has set up
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 250-294 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 188-224 (52.3 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

dont really have too much to say but i honestly think down the road that mimikyuu will be one of the best mons in the tier. stats arent extremely impressive but its movepool and ability mitigate that lol. ghost has typically been a shitty defensive typing too but fairy makes up for that too....honestly i think it might be broken but we'll see how it goes.

the loss of some of the mega stones is unfortunate, but if the pokebank mechs get changed then i think a lot of mons will shift in viability, especially mega bee in particularly, seeing as how it wont be forced to run tect anymore thanks to the new speed mechs. apparently fell stinger got a buff which is cool for it as well, but honestly id rather run drill run + knock or tspikes over one of the two. in contrast i think the speed drop will be p lame for things like amphy and aboma, although i doubt the former will make a big splash anyway. hoping the bank mechs change or at the very least the unreleased stones get out through event or something like that

looking forward to some of the drops, raikou starmie and hippo will be cool to have. even if gengar lost levitate i think itll be p dominant, maybe broken idk. good to see we'll have more hazard cleaners in mie and dhelmise, since if sumo uu will be anything like oras itll be very appreciated

dunno what to think of the ultra beasts that could be uu. nihilego has dumb good special stats and 103 is definitely a good speed tier but its defensive typing is dicks and doesnt have too much to offer in its movepool. i didnt even know guzzlord was dark dragon until today so i cant really comment on it.

all in all im lookin forward to the tier, it will definitely be more interesting than oras at least, but i guess that can be said at the start of every gen. expecting beta to be batshit insane like it was in xy though

Tirishia

Banned deucer.
Ganna bring up some fun sets. Some of them may be more viable than others.

Eevee (F) @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Last Resort
- Detect

Alright so this might not be very good but hear me out. Eevee sets up on something slower than 209 speed, it gets ancient power boosts x2, press detect, and 2hko everything thats not a ghost type lol. Its a good late game sweeper I promise... There are a few problems with this set. One is that eevee is still slower than most scarfers and mega aero after its boosts. 419 is still pretty good speed for sweeping teams that lack a scarfer. If you are wondering if this thing even hits hard, here is a comparison of a slurpuff play rough and eevee's last resort.
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Last Resort vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 256-302 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 277-327 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Other sets: I tried out some stored power stuff and it hits crazy hard. I'm pretty sure you have to have last resort on eevee in order to get off the z move. I've tried a whole bunch of other normal stabs and only resort seemed to work.

Incineroar @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Throat Chop
- Flare Blitz
- Cross Chop

Are you sick of sylveon hyper voicing everything on your team? Well, just chop its throat. In actuality, I think that sylveon will be running moonblast, but just in case its not, there is throat chop incineroar. Incineroar is quite the lets down. Most people were excited to see another dark/fire type added to pokemon, but didn't know it would be this slow, lack knock off, and not learn close combat. But who needs knock off when you have THROAT CHOP. If you didn't know already, throat chop prevents the target from using any sound based moves after it lands. Essentially, incineroar uses throat chop on cleric sylveon and then sets up without being harmed. Its a neat sylveon stall killer, but who knows if that will be a thing.

Dhelmise @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Phantom Force

Here is another pokemon that is slower than desired. The set I posted above is a bulky water killer. Sub on water type and set up. You dont get to take advantage of its ability with this set , but that's fine. Basically you get a kill with this pokemon and then switch out on the revenge killer (because there will most likely be one). This pokemon can set up on spinners like forretress and tentacruel.

Dhelmise @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Filler
- Anchor Shot
- Toxic

Toxic trapping seems like a cool option. Dhelmise has the defenses and type to pull it off. No need to mention that this set would not work without anchor shot. This cool new move is not only good for trapping, but also preventing a double. I can see this set being very good against stall, and being very good on stall.

Other sets: Rocking 131 base attack with 3 types of stab attacks and decent defenses, this pokemon can be really powerful with a choice band. It also has a nice switcheroo going for it. The problem I see is that phantom force and shadow claw both are a bit underwhelming. While phantom force can work on a non choiced set, it gives too much time for your opponent to react on a choiced set. Shadowclaw is just too weak. I'm sure people will be running it, but it is lack luster. Now the steel type attacks are a bit different but still lacking power. From what I've seen, Dhelmise isn't that heavy, so heavy slam doesnt work really well. Gyroball on choice band is meh. Anchor shot works but its 80 base power. Powerwhip is some huge damage.

Rapid spin is not something to look over. Dhelmise can definitely work as a support pokemon. Anchor shot is a very good move and Dhelmise has a stab ghost type attack for anything that wants to spin block it. Z moves seem like a nice option depending on the meta. Once again, z moves have A LOT to due with meta so it's kind of hard to predict what pokemon will be using them.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ganna bring up some fun sets. Some of them may be more viable than others.

Dhelmise @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Phantom Force

Here is another pokemon that is slower than desired. The set I posted above is a bulky water killer. Sub on water type and set up. You dont get to take advantage of its ability with this set , but that's fine. Basically you get a kill with this pokemon and then switch out on the revenge killer (because there will most likely be one). This pokemon can set up on spinners like forretress and tentacruel.

Dhelmise @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Filler
- Anchor Shot
- Toxic

Toxic trapping seems like a cool option. Dhelmise has the defenses and type to pull it off. No need to mention that this set would not work without anchor shot. This cool new move is not only good for trapping, but also preventing a double. I can see this set being very good against stall, and being very good on stall.

Other sets: Rocking 131 base attack with 3 types of stab attacks and decent defenses, this pokemon can be really powerful with a choice band. It also has a nice switcheroo going for it. The problem I see is that phantom force and shadow claw both are a bit underwhelming. While phantom force can work on a non choiced set, it gives too much time for your opponent to react on a choiced set. Shadowclaw is just too weak. I'm sure people will be running it, but it is lack luster. Now the steel type attacks are a bit different but still lacking power. From what I've seen, Dhelmise isn't that heavy, so heavy slam doesnt work really well. Gyroball on choice band is meh. Anchor shot works but its 80 base power. Powerwhip is some huge damage.

Rapid spin is not something to look over. Dhelmise can definitely work as a support pokemon. Anchor shot is a very good move and Dhelmise has a stab ghost type attack for anything that wants to spin block it. Z moves seem like a nice option depending on the meta. Once again, z moves have A LOT to due with meta so it's kind of hard to predict what pokemon will be using them.
Just wanna say I've messed around with Assault Vest Dhelmise a la Pearl (he mentioned it in the OP) in some of those mock UU Beta room tours and it seemed to work as a pretty decent Rapid Spin user:

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Shadow Claw
- Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Very self-explanatory, tank hits, spin, dish out damage where necessary. As a spinblocker it jerks Forretress, Tentacruel, Komala (I'm pretty sure this thing'll be relevant), and Tsareena (If it ever becomes relevant) with ease. Mega Blastoise is forced to Dark Pulse, which is a unfortunately guaranteed 2HKO unless you're running full HP/SpD Careful with Assault Vest...which is overkill by that point. If Mega Blastoise ends up going for Rapid Spin, then you pretty much force it out or allow it to 2HKO you and OHKO back with Power Whip. As a spinner it pretty much discourages every Ghost-type not named Doublade that UU will ever worry about from switching in to try and spinblock: Opposing Dhelmise, Gengar(?!), Jellicent, Decidueye, Marowak-Alola(?), etc. None of them want to switch in to stop this guy from spinning. As a tanky Grass/Ghost it has no problem answering specially-based Grass/Electric/Water mons like Celebi, Mega Sceptile, Heliolisk, Raikou (Save for Specs Shadow Ball), Keldeo (I bet you $50,000 we get him in UU Beta...again), Tapu Fini (just watch for Ice Beam variants), so on and so forth. On paper it's a pretty solid mon that just begs to be paired with other bulky Waters and Ground or Rock-types for the amazing synergy it brings to the table.

Right, well. I might as well add some of my input here because I'm gonna enjoy this thing against stall.

Toucannon @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

It's slow, it's not bulky, and it has only decent coverage options at best. But when you get something like Beak Blast, Stall loses the ability to just safely spam Seismic Toss. This thing will be next to useless against offense, but against Stall where you see Toxic and Willo's everywhere, this thing can just grab a sub (considering it's immune to spikes anyways) and just feel free to set up, then let hell rain down on the poor unfortunate souls below.

At least, that's how it seems on paper.

Right, well. I might as well add some of my input here because I'm gonna enjoy this thing against stall.

Toucannon @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

It's slow, it's not bulky, and it has only decent coverage options at best. But when you get something like Beak Blast, Stall loses the ability to just safely spam Seismic Toss. This thing will be next to useless against offense, but against Stall where you see Toxic and Willo's everywhere, this thing can just grab a sub (considering it's immune to spikes anyways) and just feel free to set up, then let hell rain down on the poor unfortunate souls below.

At least, that's how it seems on paper.
Soo if i never attack you can u hit pokemon wth beak blast anyways?

How does Pallosand check Mega Aero?

Also, I think one of the viable Z Users are Decidueye. SD/Leaf Blade/Roost/Spirit Shackle with Decidium. It avoids the KO boost and gets decent coverage with Grass/Ghost. It can trap mons like Blissey and proceed to set up. The only relevant threats that avoid this coverage are Hydre, Incineroar, Houndoom, Chandy, etc...

Also, I'm excited for updates to megas. It'll give Megas like Beedrill and Bannette much better (not that Beedrill has to get better).

No speculation on UB dropping? Also does anybody think Talonflame could drop with nerf to Gale Wings? SD/Acrobatics/Roost/Wow could work as a better Fletchinder back in early ORAS. BB and FB are meh now so a fast boosting set is probably it's best option imo.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
How does Pallosand check Mega Aero?
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pallosand: 90-106 (24 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pallosand: 178-210 (47.5 - 56.1%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aqua Tail vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Pallosand: 90-106 (24 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can then proceed to kill Aerodactyl with a combination of Shadow Ball + Toxic + Shore Up. It's a solid check considering that only Crunch variants can do respectable damage to it consistently. Hone Claws can be tricky to play around but Pallosand should come out on top most of the time assuming it is healthy.

No speculation on UB dropping? Also does anybody think Talonflame could drop with nerf to Gale Wings? SD/Acrobatics/Roost/Wow could work as a better Fletchinder back in early ORAS. BB and FB are meh now so a fast boosting set is probably it's best option imo.
Both Nihilego and Guzzlord are likely to drop. The former will be pretty cool, but Guzzlord doesn't have many advantages over Hydreigon in spite of its colossal HP stat.

As for Talonflame, it'll surely drop and is likely to become very useful in UU despite getting nerfed.

Tirishia

Banned deucer.
With the recent hype of Hogg's tour meta, I thought I'd share some more sets and speculation.

Lycanroc @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Fire Fang
- Return
- Toxic / Fire Fang

Sand is very viable in the hogg meta. Hippowdon is running around along with some specially defensive gigilith. Sand rush allows lycanroc to double speed in sand thus providing sand teams with a way to clean up late game. Choice band stone edge hits like a truck (when it hits). No speed means that lycanroc can have some unexpectedly good spdef while still outspeeding scarf base 106s. Obviously, there are some concerns with this set. One is the lack of coverage. Lycanroc cannot learn earthquake which hurts its ability to punish switch ins. Toxic is a nice option for opposing hippowdon.

Other sets: Taunt, sword dance, that one rock move with priority, suckerpunch, bulk up,...etc. Although I think lycanroc's main niche will be choice band in sand, these other moves make it viable outside of sand. The speed tier is amazing and stone edge is powerful.

Silvally-Psychic (Silvally-Fairy) @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Block

Bluff lord silvally-fairy. It is a very situational set but it's a lot of fun when your opponent brings in a dark type. I wish there was better options than heal block and t wave, but Silvally is lacking in basic tools like earthquake and taunt. There are probably better memories out there, but I like the surprise draco immunity and of course the bluff.

At below: Yes it can...shhhh

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Silvally-Psychic (Silvally-Fairy) @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Block

Bluff lord silvally-fairy. It is a very situational set but it's a lot of fun when your opponent brings in a dark type. I wish there was better options than heal block and t wave, but Silvally is lacking in basic tools like earthquake and taunt. There are probably better memories out there, but I like the surprise draco immunity and of course the bluff.
Can't this Silvally be countered by just highlighting your cursor over it?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just wanna point out how having access to Parting Shot may be big, as its Z move heals the incoming partner back to full health in addition to the offense drops to the opponent.

Sacri' (Mudsdale) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

This Pokémon is awesome as hell. It's probably the best Mimikyu check in the tier, not to mention that it does a lot to every Pokémon grounded Pokémon (rip Gengar), and the Pokémon that aren't grounded will take a lot of damage from Heavy Slam since it weights 920 Kg. It checks Physical Setup Sweepers too so yea, it may be a gimmick but it's nice to use.

Calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 109-129 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Kommo-o Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 184-217 (45.5 - 53.7%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mudsdale: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO

Also, Kommo-o is really, really weak without Life Orb and two boosts, not to mention that it is Mimikyu bait, don't use it.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fly
- Earthquake

This thing is nuts. Z-Flyinium makes Salamence's dreams come true, as it can now use a very powerful Flying stab (175 BP) without any drawback to obliterate anything that stands in its way. With some prior damage, Salamence can get past most of his defensive checks with a single attack boost, which isn't too hard to get thanks to Dragon Dance and Moxie. With Z-Flyinium, Salamence can sweep teams more easily than ever, without having to rely on the inaccurate Iron Tail to hit fairies or Fire Blast to lure Forretress. If Salamence ever drops to the UU tier, I believe it will be banned because of this particular set.

A few relevant calcs:

+1 252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 414-487 (105 - 123.6%)
+1 252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Primarina: 382-451 (104.9 - 123.9%)
+1 252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 288-340 (71.2 - 84.1%)
+1 252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 250-295 (70.6 - 83.3%)
+1 252 Atk Salamence Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 280-330 (63.4 - 74.8%)

Tirishia

Banned deucer.
upload_2016-11-28_16-6-5.png
The Mimikyu Rant
upload_2016-11-28_16-6-2.png

I feel a little betrayed. After mimikyu's potential was clear to me, I became very excited to possibly have it in the future SuMo UU. The awesome typing along with a role defying ability made me very anxious to try this pokemon out for a test run. I assumed these advantages would boost a pokemon like this to a healthy amount of viability, but I was wrong. Soon following the announcement of the SuMo UU beta tour (and a ban list worthy of experimenting with), many people started to prepare for this self made meta by building teams that were 'good' versus other players. Mimikyu, having these never before seen traits touched up with a cute design and even a little back story, became very popular among users. Mimikyu is everywhere.

Mimikyu becoming a problem was apparent when I started to build some hyper offense teams. I kept mimikyu in mind when I built these teams adding pokemon like scizor and choice scarfers that can one shot mimikyu after it had been busted. These don't work really well, and they should. Because mimikyu has a stab shadow sneak, and basically a free sword dance, its attack can outspeed and kill bullet punch scizor and notable scarf users. You may be saying to yourself, "but shadow sneak doesn't kill (this pokemon) in one hit." You are right. It doesn't. But, can mimikyu kill those pokemon in 2 hits, or with an sd boost? Will the pokemon you use to 'counter' mimikyu stay are full health? Can your 'counter' ko mimikyu? The thing is that mimikyu is going to do its best late game. That is where it shines. At that point, the scizor on your team might be low enough to die to a shadow sneak. Revenge killers take enough residual damage to fall victim to a mimikyu late game sweep. Everytime I find a pokemon that knocks out mimikyu in one hit, it is actually two hits, and if it's two, then it is really three, and so on. Hyper offense is extremely hard to use, when mimikyu exists.

At this point, I decided that I just wouldn't use hyper offense. It seems like a problem, but I'm just going to ignore it and build some bulky offense. Well, I found that mimikyu isn't just a problem for hyper offense, but any kind of offense... that's insane. Turns out that z moves are pretty good on mimikyu. I was using hippo as my main mimikyu switch in, and Hikari sends me a bloom doom. Turns out that you can't just switch in any defensive monster and be fine. This scares me because it looks like that what ever meta comes out of the next few months, mimikyu will be able to adapt to it. I do not see a single pokemon that can nullify the impact that mimikyu will possibly have on the future uu meta. It really is sad because I loved this pokemon from the get go, but I can't have fun playing with or against this pikachu imposter.

Be aware that this is all just speculation and that I am in no way calling for a ban or suspect test on something in a tier that does not currently exist. I would, however, be very happy to see this thing banned from hogg's tour either before it begins or soon after. If you are looking to play well versus mimikyu, I suggest using bulky fire types with wil-o-wisp, giant physical walls that can take a plus 4 play rough easily, and for offense a mold breaker haxorus with shadow claw. That's all for now. Sorry if I complained too much. I'm not mad... just... disappointed.

Last edited:
I've played a couple of matches with scarf Scizor, and it's actually a really cool set. It outspeeds things like Latias, Raikou, Starmie, and Mega Absol, and still does good damage thanks to Scizor's great attack. It's probably not as good as sd or band, but I've been having fun with it, as people do not expect it, and it beats Mimikyu (well, all variants of Scizor do to be fair).

Jirachi is still extremely splashable despite being weak to mimikyu's shadow sneak, as it has insane versatility, and can do almost anything you want it to, and it still hurts mimikyu with iron head (which has a 90% flinch chance, I don't care what the description says).

Latias, just like her older brother Latios in OU last generation, is a very good check to many special attackers, thanks to her solid bulk, access to recovery if you want it, and she also offers defog, along with things like healing wish and good power. I've found it to be good with mence or Hydra, as they can weaken their checks, and Latias can even healing wish the other to put them back in the fight. She does have a bit of 4mss, but she's very customizable, having a great movepool full of options to improve your team, and I fully expect her to be one of the top threats.

Mence is still crazy good. Mix Mence is so hard to switch into, and if you guess the wrong move, you're losing a Pokemon, simple as that. The dd set aquadext posted is very good, since mence finally gets a powerful flying stab to abuse. It exerts crazy offensive pressure, has a good speed tier, and is still one of the best mons in the tier.

Mega Absol loves the change to mega speed, as it now has its great base 115 speed right off the bat, outspeeding Latias and tying with Starmie and Raikou. It still has abysmal bulk, and sucker punch getting nerfed is not very favourable for it, but since it gets its speed immediately, it doesn't have to rely on sucker punch as much anymore. I'd recommend giving it a try, it can be really hard to deal with now that outspeeding it is a lot harder.

I've actually been enjoying this meta, and I hope the actual UU is similar. It kind of feels like a mix of Gen 4 OU with team preview, and weatherless Gen 5 OU, which is a good thing imo. I still need to try out things like Gengar and Zapdos, and hell maybe even Flygon now that it has something going for it, and I hope we keep this meta for room tours until the official beta, as I've been liking this UU more than the current ou. Also, dragons are really powerful, and just slapping on Mimikyu is not going to be good enough if it's your only answer for them. I don't think this meta is that different from last gen, it just has a noticeable power creep, which is both good and bad.

Also, sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm on mobile, so I wouldn't be surprised if half of my post is unreadable haha.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak / Explosion

Just wanted to bring this up based on the alpha / beta / whatever tour going on since I've found this pretty cool thus far. It checks a lot of the rather strong fast offensive Pokemon that happen to be physically frail roaming about like Nihilego, Starmie, Latias, Alakazam, Gengar and if you get it in vs Mimikyu earlier on you can remove Disguise guaranteed with Pursuit. I'm not entirely sure about what's really the best move on the last slot considering the metagame itself hasn't been too established and people are running everything but Shadow Sneak for prio is nice vs aforementioned Pokemon and Explosion can get a nuke off if you're about to get very low on HP. Pursuit users are honestly looking really good for this metagame but I've only mostly seen a hundred offense variants with slightly deviating balance here and there so who knows.

made a thing, if u know me i like sharing my shit, although im feelin tired today so i wont post all ofem

Cloyster @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp

Mimikyu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

Hogg brought up cloyster in a skype group as a mimi check and it seemed pretty cool to me. offense is everywhere at the moment, and despite rachi being really common at the moment, it fucks with a lot of those kinds of teams. i originally had rindo on it for wood hammer mimi but it was pretty useless otherwise, so i just went with life orb. pretty much any item works on this thing though. jirachi is the usual offensive glue, gives me a flying / fairy check, and heart stamp fucks with tenta and the like. mimi...well its fucking mimi. this thing is pretty busted (pun totally intended), its stab combo is TopTier and wood hammer + grassium fucks with answers like hippo gastro cune etc. dual scarfers are kinda weird, but hydra covers most of what rachi cant and vice versa...uve probably heard this before at some point. hippo gives me a nice elec check (raik is actually p good in this tier) while getting rocks up, like the rest it checks a lot of offensive threats, although not being as invested in pdef makes tini a little bit more annoying. maero is still a top 5 mon imo, pursuit is even better than it was before and theres just so little opportunity cost to running it. also gives me a secondary flying resist.

had some other teams but im lazy atm, maybe ill post them later. sand offense is good as fuck though and so is stored power necrozma. have yet to try out primarina but i got wrecked by it in a test so ill craft somethin with that too.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Glad to be back UU! Been years since I've played but I found one cool core I thought I'd share.

With Scizor running wild, I thought Magneton would be a cool thing to run as well as having awesome resistances in general. I was looking for partners in the new mons, and one really grabbed me.

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam/Stealth Rock

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Very simple core to use and support. Magneton beats nearly every steel in the tier 1v1 (Jirachi is the main potential loss), as well as being a decent emergency Mimikyu check with Flash Cannon. Nihilego hits everything hard and fast with a Scarf or obscenely hard with a Life Orb. Becomes very hard to deal with after a kill, +1 Grass Knot OHKOes SpD Hippo , and its tough to revenge without physical priority. This core appreciates mons that deal with Ground types 1v1 obviously, I've had success using Celebi and bulky Gyarados.

That's all for now, I just think people are sleeping on Nihilego and haven't seen any Magnetons so get out there and experiment.

Cheers to all, excited to explore the new meta!

Last edited:
Hey just wanted to share a reply of hogg vs me.
My team is a little weird haha just threw it together to see what sm uu is like (I have seen the sm UU replays though in the sm uu tour and a lot of them are really interesting). Regardless of my funky team I still think this a good replay for a new meta.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-488700540
Also, here's my thought process on this battle:
Turn 0 - I wanted to be simple and get up stealth rocks with Hippowdon.
Turn 1 - Considering he predicted my lead, I figured he might over predict again, thinking I would switch, so I set up my stealth rocks.
Turn 2 - After seeing substitute I realized at that moment that my team does not deal with sub suicune that well and would have to rely on Dhelmise to take out the subs and force out a switch.
Turn 3 - I go for shadow claw on the protect seeing how he would probably protect this turn to pressure my power whips to 0pp.
Turn 4 - I go for power whip this time on to break the substitute.
Turn 5 - I go for another power whip predicting another substitute.
Turn 6 - Figuring that he knows that he can't set up on suicune due to sand and power whip, I knew he would out at this pont so I go for latias predicting the latias. Latias tanks power whip and can deal some nice early damage on my team so, I went into my own to force his out since I knew he wouldnt risk a speed tie, in which I would double into Scizor to pursuit trap the jirachi that would come in to take whatever latias would dish out.
Turn 7 - We both go into Latias.
Turn 8 - I go into Scizor and he goes into Jirachi.
Turn 9 - I wasn't expecting the t-wave and figured that I would have to knock him out with pursuit if I don't get paraflinched the next turn.
Turn 10 - Hax happens and I knew it would continue due to how graceful Jirachi is so I go into Hippowdown to force it out to hopefully get toxic on an incoming switch.
Turn 11 - I go into Hippowdown and he goes for stealth rocks.
Turn 12 - He u-turns into Zapdos and I toxic it. Now here, I figured this would be a great chance for me to go into latias since I don't care for whatever Zapdos goes for and I could go in for some damage on his team (especially since Jirachi is weakened).
Turn 13 - He goes for toxic on my incoming latias.
Turn 14 - I drop a draco with a crit on the zapdos.
Turn 15 - He brings in Mimikyu and I knew I would have to play around this guy in order to take it down. So I figured that I would go for psyshock to break the sub while he sds up and go into scizor to bullet punch it to knock it out.
Turn 16 - I go into Scizor while he sds up again.
Turn 17 - To my surprise, he simply knocks out the scizor with shadow sneak. And no I do not run bulk on my scizor, it is choice banded max atk and max speed adamant.
Turn 18 - I go into hippowdown to hopefully toxic stall it. He goes for play rough dealing 74% to my max hp and max def which took me by surprise. Seeing how I could save the hippowdon for death fodder against latias, I decided to let alomolola tank the next hit and protect on the next hit as I knew it would kill itself off with rocky helmt + toxic + sand + Life Orb recoil.
Turn 19 - He goes for another shadow claw on my incoming alomomola and takes all the passive damage.
Turn 20 - I protect to let him die from toxic.
Turn 21 - He goes into M-Aero to pursuit trap my alomomola which is only at 11% health. Knowing that it would die either way, I figured I would just switch anyways for the lols.
Turn 22 - I brought in my bewear knowing it could tank an aerial ace. hogg stays in to see how much aerial ace would do to it while I go for an ice punch to knock it out.
Turn 23 - He brings in Latias and I sack off Hippowdon to perserve bewear.
Turn 24 - I bring in Latias and I knew hogg would perserve the lati and go into rachi so I simply go for recover for longevity and would go out into dhelmise to take whatever rachi goes for.
Turn 25 - He goes for iron head and dhelmise takes it nicely and I figured I'd could get some chip dmg on the rachi with shadow claw. Looking back though, I realized I could have gone into bewear and perserved the dhelmise for a latias sack.
Turn 26 - He goes for another iron head and I break free with shadow claw.
Turn 27 - I bring in Bewear and proceed to go for eq to just knock it out knowing that he'd go for t-wave. Thankfully he misses the t-wave.
Turn 28 - Latias pretty much wins it here with knocking out my bewear with draco meteor and winning the speed tie againt my latias. And here I thought I could win the game if I could a crit on the weakened suicune if I did win the speed tie XD lmao. I did go for a turn to turn stratagy here due to not knowing much about the tier but, I did try my best and did okay for my first sm uu battle. I hope to do better in the future as I learn more about the new mons and the new meta. Good Game hogg.

CoolStoryBrobat

So watching SM UU replays and doing a lot of test games myself, there's a lot of dominant trends in the speculative meta that I've noticed.

1. Offense is bananas, and it is EVERYWHERE. For good reason though because we have a huge amount of offensive threats in the tier, and admittedly stall is not easy to build atm. It's surely doable though

2. Every team NEEDS a Ground-type. Due to Raikou and Zapdos being really good, especially against Offense, not having a Ground-type in most games can put you at a disadvantage. The main Ground-types I've seen used are Hippowdon, Mamoswine, Swampert, and Krookodile. You can get away with not using a Ground-type on certain builds but you need some strong Electric checks, pretty much forcing you to run something like Mega Aerodactyl, Scarf Hydreigon or a bulky Grass-type.

3. Pursuit is really freaking good right now. It doesn't matter what playstyle you're using either, with threats like Mimikyu, Latias, Gengar, Celebi, Jirachi, and so much more being a thing right now, any offensive team looking to succeed is going to need a Pursuit user to keep opposing offenses in check. Fortunately we have no shortage of Pursuit users: Alolan Muk, Scizor, Mega Aerodactyl, Krookodile (Scarf Intimidate has been gaining traction), even Sneasel--all are invaluable assets to teams for trapping frail or weakened mons. Shoutouts to Silvally-Dark and Dodrio for learning Pursuit too. I'm sure someone somewhere's gonna try it...

4. Every team NEEDS Dragon checks. Fortunately we got no shortage of them either. Typically you need a Fairy-type, like Mimikyu, Primarina, Togekiss, Klefki, Sylveon (hasn't been doing so hot lately), or Whimsicott, to keep you from getting blown up by Hydreigon, Salamence, and Latias, though I've seen people use a core of something like Steel-type + bulky Water w/Ice Beam alongside faster threats to keep Dragon-types in check.

5. Every team NEEDS Fairy switch-ins. Unless you want Mimikyu or Primarina peeling your cap back, this is pretty important too. It's hard not to run a Steel-type in the current meta where Scizor and Jirachi are invaluable (and also decent enough at checking themselves). Stuff like Metagross, Empoleon, Magneton, and Doublade are also still solid with good support. Nidoqueen, Gengar, and Nihilego are also still really good for this reason. Surprisingly I haven't seen a lot of Fire-types outside of Victini and the occasional Entei. I just think the meta's unfriendly to a lot of offensive Fire-types in general right now, what with Mega Aerodactyl, Starmie, Primarina, and various Dragons being metagame staples and Pursuit being abused liberally.

6. Bulky Waters are still a necessity. Should come as a no-brainer given UU's rep for bulky Waters, which we also have no shortage on. Suicune, Slowbro, Milotic, Empoleon, Primarina, Swampert, and Tentacruel all fulfill important roles for various teams and keep you from getting destroyed by things like Victini, Scizor, Mega Aerodactyl, and Jirachi....to name a few.

These are all some meta trends I've noticed as our unofficial, speculative metagame unfolds. There's still a bunch of untapped potential that has yet to be found, but I think this covers a lot of what you can expect to see on any successful team at the time of this post being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)