Sun Team First RMT

Hello this is my first RMT. Obviously I would like to see how good my team is but also the general viability of sun teams in the current meta. Suggestions for improvements are absolutely welcome.

Mew @ Normal Gem
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magic Coat
- Explosion

I chose mew as a lead because it's fairly unpredictable, has stealth rock, counters other leads with taunt/magic coat, and kill 1 pokemon with the normal gem explosion. Taunt and Magic coat may seem redundant but magic coat has a +4 priority which ensures it'll be faster than lead terrakion, aerodactyl, azelf, and infernape.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Roar

Ninetales is obviously the mvp of any sun team. I chose the defensive set because It needs to stay alive so I can win the weather war. If it dies without winning the weather war I pretty much lose the game. Sunny day may seem redundant but it's there if a politoed/tryanitar come in and I don't feel like switching.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Memento

Dugtrio is a very effective trapper and revenge killer and is here for opposing weather changers like politoed and tyranitar. It can also kill stuff like jirachi and tentacruel with earthquake; Volcarona and flying types with stone edge. I chose memento for the last slot because I feel stealth rock isn't needed with mew and .5 atk and sp atk is just awesome.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Under the sun venusaur will pretty much always go first and pull off a successful sleep powder then proceed to use growth to sweep the entire enemy team. If the opponent switches I would just do another sleep powder. Giga drain is an obvious stab and hp fire is for steel types and is boosted by the sun. The Ivs minimize foul play/confusion damage and still pull off the hp fire.

Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break
- U-turn

Victini: He is the definition of OHKO. He is so strong with vcreate. His other moves are to provide a very wide type coverage on a variety of pokemon. These are some damage calcs for vcreate to very bulky pokemon and pokemon that resist it (this is without the sun)
V-create vs. 252/244+ Hippowdon: 62.14% - 73.09%
V-create vs. 252/0 Gastrodon: 64.78% - 76.29%
V-create vs. 0/0 Salamence: 73.11% - 86.1%
V-create vs. 0/0 Garchomp: 58.82% - 69.46%
V-create vs. 248/216+ Jellicent: 46.65% - 55.08%
V-create vs. 0/0 Keldeo: 68.11% - 80.18%
V-create vs. 0/0 Rotom-W: 78.51% - 92.56%

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flame Charge

Tbh Heatran is pretty much just a placeholder on this team because I can't find any pokemon to replace it. With that being said his typing allows him to switch into a lot of moves and his movepool allows him to have some great coverage. With air balloon he could even switch into the dreaded earthquake.

So there you have it. Help me improve my team.

TEzeon

I'm a ramblin gamblin dude!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty cool team! Sun is one of the less common weathers, so you already have an edge in that your team will be somewhat under prepared for. Since this looks to be a generally offensive team, I'll try to make sure my suggestions cater to that.

First up, while I do like the idea of the Mew set you use, I feel as though you could get a little more out of something else. Politoed definitely looks like he could be a problem, but if you can manage to keep the sun advantage for the entire battle, you will have little difficulty defeating common rain teams, as well as other teams in general. So, I have a neat idea that you could try that may help you out with that! I suggest replacing Mew with Gothitelle. My recommended move set would be this:

Gothitelle (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 28 SDef / 228 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

This set will allow you to trap and kill Pokemon such as Politoed, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Abomasnow, which will make it a lot easier for you to maintain weather control. With Mew no longer needed for the Stealth Rock support, you are free to use it on Dugtrio instead if you really want it, though it is not really 100% required. Still, it is a good tech to have, so the choice is yours.

My next suggestion is to replace Venusaur with Sawsbuck. I would say to go with the standard SD Sawsbuck set with 3 attacks, or possibly just 4 attacks without Swords Dance as a late game cleaner. I feel that Sawsbuck may be a stronger addition to this team than Venusaur, as Sawsbuck has a much easier time sweeping than Venusaur thanks to his superior physical coverage, and on top of the fact that your new Gothitelle will allow you to trap some of the problem Pokemon that may be able to wall him. Since the true goal with this team is a lot more refined than with most, I think that its best to just go all out with your own strategy and worry a little less about what the opponent is trying to do. You should have all the necessary tools to get the job done. Anyway, I hope that my suggestions suit your needs, and I'm hoping to see the team succeed!

I'm concerned as to why you are not playing Donphan. Donphan spins :D lol but seriously I think for this particular team, donphan > dugtrio is pretty good choice. You can even run it offensive w/o rocks because you have them on mew.

TEzeon's suggestion, plus:
Gothitelle & Dugtrio = 2 trappers. A smart opponent will not leave a pokemon vulnerable to either of them in for long. What can ease your prediction is volt-turn.

Your opponent can do whatever he wants, then you volt-turn into the appropriate trapper.
You could change Heatran for Landorus-T or Infernape with U-turn for example. I recommend Landorus-T because you already have a fire type sweeper and you don't have anything physically bulky.
Infernape was only mentioned in case you want a fast U-turn, but in this kind of strategy, you'll want a slower one.

Offensive pivot set: said:
Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def (On-site, but you can do a 252 HP /252 Def for maximum bulk, or dump a few of these EVs into speed creeping)
Moveset
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ U-turn
~ Stone Edge
There you go. A bulky pokemon, a slow U-turn, and you get to keep SR assuming that you'll drop Mew

I'd keep Venusaur he rocks

This is a pretty good sun team, but like most sun teams its weak to landorus and entry hazards. I recommend claydol over mew he checks landorus sets up stealth rocks and spins.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

This is a pretty cool team! Sun is one of the less common weathers, so you already have an edge in that your team will be somewhat under prepared for. Since this looks to be a generally offensive team, I'll try to make sure my suggestions cater to that.

First up, while I do like the idea of the Mew set you use, I feel as though you could get a little more out of something else. Politoed definitely looks like he could be a problem, but if you can manage to keep the sun advantage for the entire battle, you will have little difficulty defeating common rain teams, as well as other teams in general. So, I have a neat idea that you could try that may help you out with that! I suggest replacing Mew with Gothitelle. My recommended move set would be this:

Gothitelle (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 28 SDef / 228 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

This set will allow you to trap and kill Pokemon such as Politoed, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Abomasnow, which will make it a lot easier for you to maintain weather control. With Mew no longer needed for the Stealth Rock support, you are free to use it on Dugtrio instead if you really want it, though it is not really 100% required. Still, it is a good tech to have, so the choice is yours.

My next suggestion is to replace Venusaur with Sawsbuck. I would say to go with the standard SD Sawsbuck set with 3 attacks, or possibly just 4 attacks without Swords Dance as a late game cleaner. I feel that Sawsbuck may be a stronger addition to this team than Venusaur, as Sawsbuck has a much easier time sweeping than Venusaur thanks to his superior physical coverage, and on top of the fact that your new Gothitelle will allow you to trap some of the problem Pokemon that may be able to wall him. Since the true goal with this team is a lot more refined than with most, I think that its best to just go all out with your own strategy and worry a little less about what the opponent is trying to do. You should have all the necessary tools to get the job done. Anyway, I hope that my suggestions suit your needs, and I'm hoping to see the team succeed!
Why not psychic on gothitelle?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)