Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Character and Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most interesting thing is that Pit is top tier there, because of one their top players is a Pit, but he's only mid-tier in NA. Despite his potential, we simply don't have any notable Pit players here.
Does anyone kind of see a similarity with wario here ?_?

I agree that Pit is a solid character. He has reflectors, good damage-racking with the arrows, and hard-to-gimp recovery. His Dair is good for approaches, and he can juggle well with the Uair.

But, there is some merit to the argument that he is so high on the tier list over there because one of the best players mains him. It is a similar situation here with m2k. Both in that that player personally bumps up the character's tourney wins (and therefore spot on the tier list), but also that he "advances" that characters metagame and inspires others to pick up that character.

MT inspired people to pick him up.

Why does everyone hate Ganon and Sonic? They're awesome IMO.
Ganon is nearly impossible to use well; he actually is THAT slow. Sonic suffers from some problems many lighter characters suffer from, but he can't rack up damage very quickly without the person using him having some quite good reflexes and timing.

Ganon is nearly impossible to use well; he actually is THAT slow. Sonic suffers from some problems many lighter characters suffer from, but he can't rack up damage very quickly without the person using him having some quite good reflexes and timing.
yes, but those two are my best characters...

yes, but those two are my best characters...
Just because you use them well doesn't mean that they are good in competitive play. Every character has someone who is good at using him/her, and that doesn't mean every character is competitively viable. To determine whether a character is good or not, you have to look at things like hitboxes, lag, gimping, combos, etc.

Ganondorf is bad because he has no approach and all his moves are punishable. He does have some good characteristics, however, mainly his side-B combos, spikes, and Ganoncide. I consider him not to be the worst character in the game (Captain Falcon has that dubious honor) but not out of bottom tier either. But Ganon's a fun character to use against noobs and computers :P

Just because you use them well doesn't mean that they are good in competitive play. Every character has someone who is good at using him/her, and that doesn't mean every character is competitively viable. To determine whether a character is good or not, you have to look at things like hitboxes, lag, gimping, combos, etc.

Ganondorf is bad because he has no approach and all his moves are punishable. He does have some good characteristics, however, mainly his side-B combos, spikes, and Ganoncide. I consider him not to be the worst character in the game (Captain Falcon has that dubious honor) but not out of bottom tier either. But Ganon's a fun character to use against noobs and computers :P
definitely lol

Sonic is actually mid-weight, and racking up damage is one of his high points. His biggest issue is his bad killing ability. Anyways, Sonic is a workable character, though you're not going to be winning any regional tourneys with him.

Ganon... yeah, ganon is bad :X. As already said he's fun though! I love his uair~

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very interesting idea about how culture may affect the mindset of which you play brawl with. CHILLAX brawl is just a game even at professional level i don't think we need to have a deep philisophical discussion about it. Next we'll be discussing if brawl is linked to the lunar and solar eclipses :P
what a mindless post

the post you quote doesn't even hint at drawing things out with a "deep philosophical discussion"; a valid and relevant observation is made, and it sounds to me like some discussion on the matter would do (you) some good regardless

i personally find these differences in the scene incredibly interesting; tiers after all have been defined by players of characters as well as characters of the game

The new tier list is out, dunno if someone already posted that.

Regardless, the first post has to be edited.

It goes like, MK, Snake, Wario, Falco, Diddy, blah blah

Too lazy to get the smashboards link.
good damage-racking with the arrows
Actually, arrows are pretty subpar as a projectile and require ridiculous ledge camping just to get decent damage off.
and hard-to-gimp recovery.
Force him to Up B.
If you touch him when he Up Bs, he dies.
His Dair is good for approaches
Lacks horizontal range
and he can juggle well with the Uair.
If people refuse to DI, then maybe?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I do believe he meant the June tier list, which was perhaps never updated in the OP until after he mentioned that. Everyone knows the new tier list by now anyway.

And pfft, Pit is hardly easy to gimp. Even if you do force him to Up-B, few characters have the mobility (or projectile) to knock him out of it before he gets to the ledge or well above the stage.

o.0 I didn't think someone like NJzFinest would post here.

@Yoshiking: D3 is right below Diddy.

Smashboards link

And sonic moves up a kajillion spots again......he must be getting better.

I really thought Falco would fall more than he did. He wasn't winning a whole bunch of tourneys last time I checked (which was a while back)

I expected Wario to move up to at least S Tier. I thought he would be below Diddy.

Quite a surprising tier list.

I was thinking the same about Falco until I saw the placement of the Falco players at Genesis.

Pretty impressive, gotta give it to SK92 and DEHF.

And lol, I've been on smogon for awhile, I just decided to make an account with this name after realizing a decent amount of smashers played Pogeymans.

o.0 I didn't think someone like NJzFinest would post here.
Who is that?

@Yoshiking: D3 is right below Diddy.

Smashboards link
Thanks a bunch for the link, gotta express my surprise at how things are going as well in the S and A tiers. I was talking to a friend from Japan, and she expressed quite a bit of surprise at our tier list and how high Metaknight places. I don't know how into the competitive scene she is, though...

Also hurray, Yoshi moves up another spot, one at a time.

I was thinking the same about Falco until I saw the placement of the Falco players at Genesis.

Pretty impressive, gotta give it to SK92 and DEHF.

And lol, I've been on smogon for awhile, I just decided to make an account with this name after realizing a decent amount of smashers played Pogeymans.
SK92/DEHF are amazing. Speaking of which, who did better? Being a Falco main, it's always good to know who's doing well at these huge tournies.
I really need to visit smashboards more =( It's been a while since I've contributed anything to the Falco boards.

There's a fairly decent overlap between competitive Smash and Pokemon players.
I figured as much, although I never saw much competitive pokemon on smashboards or AiB.

I'm not gonna post an all out tier list but here are some of my thoughts:

Regardless of what has been said, I believe Olimar and Sonic are underrated. Olimar, while very annoying and hard to control with very weak attacks, can be quite annoying if you're good at controlling him.
OLIMAR: ♦ ♦ ♦ - -

Sonic, on the other hand is extremely powerful. He's fast, he can hit stuff, then get out before he gets hit too much. He can also grab the smash ball before anyone else due to his vastly superior speed, and has a great final smash, despite being relatively easy to avoid, if it gets you, you're gonna take a beating. however, since so many matches nowadays are itemless, that goes out the window. He can still get alot of hits in a game and surprisingly pull out a kill if he can rack up the percent. with more than 2 players, however, sonic loses his luster and becomes a damaging convenience for the other players, whoever isnt being attacked. He is also extremely ineffective against Ike, who has ridiculously strong attacks and can counter sonics frequent annoyances and send him flying.
SONIC: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ -

Lucario, in my opinion, is also very good if used properly. While he is slightly predictable if he tries to counter, he's very good at avoiding pesky fast attacks and dealing damage back. He also has a handy Aura Sphere which increases effectiveness as he loses health. This is a great weapon to pull a kill out of the hat once you've taken some hits.
LUCARIO: ♦ ♦ ♦ - -

Wolf is, I'm sad to say, disappointing for being the last character unlocked. His attacks do little damage and he's really easy to self-KO. Plus the fact that if you mess up and tilt the analog stick just a little to the side when doing ^B attack, you essentially lose the match.
WOLF: ♦ ♦ - - -

Lucas is probably my favorite killer. His ranged attacks, unlike ness's, can hit more than one person in a shot. He can trap opponents with PK fire and them hit them with his baseball bat, which, if played correctly, can net him a kill. He can also freeze foes for a second with PK Freeze, another annoying attack. Finally, he can ram himself into opponents with PK Thunder, causing massive kickback, usually his greatest weapon if pulled off correctly. Despite the difficulty of using ^B as a jump, lucas is a very efficient player and a threat to be reckoned with.
LUCAS: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Have the tiers not changed since?

In my opinion Sheik deserves to be at least B Tier. She has great attacks that easily slide into one another, setting up great combos. Her grabs are not that bad and her aerial game is to the point of broken (Fair abuse?). I guess she's still in C Tier due to her lack of a reliable KO move. *Sigh*

-Terywj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)