Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion #2 (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
To chain grab with DeDeDe:

1. Get a grab.
2. Down throw.
3. Chase with the dashing shield grab (shield as you dash and hit A for a shield grab, you'll slide and grab with huge range).
4. Down throw.
5. Repeat from step 3.

To chain grab with DeDeDe:

1. Get a grab.
2. Down throw.
3. Chase with the dashing shield grab (shield as you dash and hit A for a shield grab, you'll slide and grab with huge range).
4. Down throw.
5. Repeat from step 3.
Thanks a lot. Hitting the A button while I dash and shield seems a bit difficult on a Wiimote though....

Obligatory Crazy Hand in Brawl post.

Hey Cooper, I just noticed that 12 digit code in your signature box. Is that your Wii code? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SSBB use a different code than the Wii's (or) do you need both of them to register someone for online play?

I'd like to know since all of my friends are currently exchanging their Wii codes for the upcoming goodness that is SSBB! =P

Thanks a lot. Hitting the A button while I dash and shield seems a bit difficult on a Wiimote though....

Obligatory Crazy Hand in Brawl post.
Everyone refers to stuff in terms of the gcn controller, as well tbh no one cares about any of the other control modes. It's whatever the shield and "normal attack" buttons are on the wiimote that you'll need to press.

I'm getting this game... in ONE HOUR. My brother drove to windsor with my buddy (I can't find my birth certificate) and we're having a Wiikey installed. SSBB party tonight WOOOO.
And about control schemes, some people will care about wiimote scheme. Like, for instance, everyone playing in the Gamestop release tournament circuit. Because you have to use Wiimote + chuck.
Speaking of which, I'm definitely playing as Dedede to perfect his chain throw and be too heavy/good at recovering to KO in one minute (it's one minute timed matches, wtf?!)

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah, I thought I'd mention a very important detail on eligibility. If you do have an immediately family member who works at a EBGames/GameStop location, that person has to be living with you in order for you to be also ineligible. I called to double check and I got the AOK from a Customer Service Rep. Yippee.

So, if for some reason you're in San Diego and are going to the Santee store, I'll most likely be there.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, I just saw the bad PAL news. Sounds like it'll be late Q3/Q4 action for SSBB.

So I think I might participate in the tournament, but I'm on a Wii now so I can't download the .pdf file to see if any stores near me are hosting it. Can someone check for a Gamestop in either Mebane, Burlington, or Greensboro in NC for me?

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
What are the Wiimote controls for SSBB(Like what button uses the shield, how to grab, etc)? Also, do you guys know when Gamestop will be having SSBB set up for people to play in there store(They usually have each system set up with various games for you to try out, like they may have a ds attached to a wall and you could play Pokemon DP there, you guys know what I'm talking about) because If they have them set up a few days before the tourney I will head over to my gamestop and play with the wiimote for some practice.

Also, Is there anyone here in South Jersey who's going to this? I hope to be the only decent player there. I remember I was the only competitive Pokemon player at the PBR tourney.

Yeah I just saw it too Sonuis hehe. Well at least we get Wii fit and Mario Kart first. Wait... what do I care? I have a chipped wii and will get both first :D

http://kotaku.com/360587/europe-doesnt-get-smash-bros-brawl-until-fall

Nintendo of American president Reggie Fils-Aime has said that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will not be coming to Europe until the Autumn.

Speaking to 1UP, Reggie answered a question regarding why Wii Fit and Mario Kart was coming to Europe first by saying, "Yeah, but they don't get Smash Brothers until fall."

Reggie cited the reason as a production problem, claiming that Nintendo would have to open and convert new factories in order to step up disc duplication, which would no doubt prove costly and wasteful in the long run.

Sorry Europe - looks like you'll (we'll) have to be content with Mario Kart for the time being.

Man that sucks for you guys and gals in Europe...on the bright side, you get to play Mario Kart Wii first, which I heavily envy you all for. >:(

Less than two weeks!! =D *searches eBay for a time machine*

Yeah, I'm sorry too Europe. That's horrible news. Nintendo always does something to screw over consumers. Mario Kart is not a bad game (Great game actually), but it's no SSBB, but who the hell cares about Wii Fit. Such an unnecessary game, at least right now it is.

Also Dude18210, can I borrow your time machine after your done with it?, LOL

Well, Sonuis, I guess it was bound to happen eventually:

I called my gamestop earlier today, and I popped the controller question on them again (for reassurance). The guy said:

"I'm sorry, but the only controller that will be allowed is the wii-mote, to ensure player fairness when battling."

O_o, apparently they JUST received that information from higher ups. They were originally going to allow the use of any controller, but that's before they got slapped by "THE MAN"!

BULL...CRAP!!!!! >.<

LOL, like you said Sonuis, they would indeed have stopped me at the door!

Everyone refers to stuff in terms of the gcn controller, as well tbh no one cares about any of the other control modes. It's whatever the shield and "normal attack" buttons are on the wiimote that you'll need to press.
According to smashdojo, shielding on the Wiimote is B, which is on the underside of A and the D-pad. To shield grab, I'd need to shift my right hand over, which means I'd lose the ability to use my specials or smashes....

On that note, I've been considering trying the Wiimote and Nunchuk. At the risk of going into manual smashes with the 'Chuk, I think it'll be a good trade-off for being able to jump at angles, and have the shield button available to the same hand as the control stick, just like my GC controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)