ORAS LC Super Starter Sweepers

Hey reviews and readers, I'm Schmedly, and this is my 2nd (and successful) attempt at a Little Cup team. One day, I thought to myself: "LC is a fun tier. Let me make a team!" Alas, my original team was lackluster, and failed to get many wins. It was at this point that I decided to add two of my favorite Pokémon and change an item or two. And behold, wins came in. And so, without further adieu, here is:

Super Starter Sweepers
64px-BT158.png
64px-BT495.png
64px-BT446.png
64px-BT309.png
64px-BT027.png
64px-BT167.png

The Team

250px-Totodile_anime.png

Lizard-Lion (Totodile) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sheer Force
Level: 5
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance​

Totodile is the undeniable star of my team, and carries the standard Dragon Dance set. This thing can decimate teams with ease; in addition, I have found suprisingly few Totodiles running around LC. As such, not many people know how to deal with Totodile, so they end up getting swept. 'Nuff said.

250px-Ash_Snivy.png

Bartholomew (Snivy) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Totodile's partner in crime, Snivy is the special sweeper that balances Totodile's physical power. Another standard set, with Synthesis for recovery, Glare to cripple switch-ins, HP Fire for coverage, and Leaf Storm + Contrary to OHKO many Pokémon, including those that resist Leaf Storm.

220px-May_Munchlax_eating.png

Joey (Munchlax) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Body Slam
- Sleep Talk

One of the things my early team was lacking was an all-purpose wall, and Munchlax fits the bill. With Curse, Munchlax can stand up to such things as Pawniard's Brick Break and Elekid's Cross Chop, and then Rest it off. The other benefit of Curse is the fact that Body Slam becomes fiendishly strong, OHKOing the two Pokémon mentioned above. However, Munchlax is walled by Ghost-types, so if one switches in, I have to lose my stat boosts to bring in a check.

200px-X_Elec_Electrike.png

San Diego (Electrike) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Switcheroo
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I originally had a Choice Specs set on Electrike, but as a pivot, I found that with Choice Scarf, it could get practically guaranteed chip damage with Volt Switch and then bring in one of my sweepers for momentum, or act as a potent revenge killer with Volt Switch, and then bring in my Munchlax to wall almost anything that comes in as a response. Switcheroo is handy to cripple walls if they choose to set up, Flamethrower is for raw power, and HP Grass is for coverage, especially against Chinchou.

200px-Sandshrew_Camouflage.png

Trebuchet (Sandshrew) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock/Rock Tomb
- Earthquake

Sandshrew is my backup physical wall and is also hazard support thanks to Rapid Spin. It also carries Knock Off to heavily damage or OHKO spinblockers like Duskull and Yamask. I either run Stealth Rock for bonus hazards, or Rock Tomb for coverage and a better chance to move first.

250px-Sebastian_Spinarak.png

Cotton Candy (Spinarak) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 130 HP / 126 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sticky Web
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn

Spinarak is my hazard setter and check to Fighting types. Sticky Web is handy for giving my sweepers a better chance to survive, Toxic Spikes is used to cripple walls, and Poison Jab + Megahorn are my STAB moves of choice, and can be quite strong. Poison Jab is also handy for its chance to poison.

Checks and Counters
64px-BT109.png
64px-BT446.png

Physical Walls

Physical walls can check half of my team, and the two walls shown are nasty for different reasons: Koffing because of Will-O-Wisp (the bane of Totodile's existence) and Munchlax for its recovery and pure lasting power.

Priority/Fast Pokémon
Though very few things can outspeed Scarf Electrike, there are some notable exceptions, like other Electrike, who can absorb my Volt Switch and force a switch, Abra, and priority users like Rattata can all hurt Electrike badly.

Conclusion
Thanks for reading! Any and all reviews are highly appreciated. Have an excellent day!​

Last edited:
Yo.

For the purpose of posting a focused rate, I will be assuming that your goal is a Totodile sweep, and will suggest adjustments to help pave the way for such. I will also try to keep in mind Snivy when I can.

First, I recommend replacing Electrike with Foongus. Electrike isn't very viable in Little Cup, and furthermore does not provide any noteworthy boons for your team that I can see. By using Foongus, you have a reliable answer to Grass and Fighting types (which you currently are weak against/hinder Toto's sweep), and a decent counter to offensive Water-Types in the tier.

Next, the change of Sandshrew > Drilbur . Drilbur outperforms Sandshrew in all practical aspects, and gives you a fairly strong offensive presence alongside its duty as hazard control. Given how similar the two are, you won't really be experiencing a huge change in performance while playing. It also helps with your self-acknowledged Koffing issue by virtue of Mold Breaker, as well as doing the same for other levitators and breaking Sturdy.

While Spinarak is a cool mon, your team isn't made for webs and thus it doesn't really have a place. I feel that Spinarak > Scarf Pawniard will help your team a good bit. Pawn helps mainly with three points: checking bird spam, providing vital Knock Off support, and giving your team a reliable revenge killer that improves your matchup against Dark Types such as Vullaby and opposing get Pawniard.

I'm going to recommend a personal favorite set of mine for Munchlax: Facade + RestTalk. Munchlax's RestTalk set is arguably its most viable, and by adding Facade it allows to you to no longer fear Scald burns when countering water types and switch into most Fire Types safely as well. It also improves your functionality as a status tank, and reduces time wasted healing burns with Rest. You can, however, use the standard set as well. Fire Punch will be recommended to help mitigate issues with Ferroseed, but if you choose to use a variant of a different suggested mom that can handle it for your team, I advise Pursuit in its place.

It is also highly recommended that you use the standard effort value spreads for all of your Pokemon. These are tired and true allotments that allow each mon to excel in its given niche, and you should be utilizing them in almost every case.

Enclosed below you will find a list of new sets. Good luck with your team, and I hope you stick around in LC.

Totodile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet / Superpower

Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire

Drilbur @ Berry Juice
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Psychic (helps with Croagunk) / Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Fire

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Facade / Body Slam / Return
- Fire Punch / Pursuit
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit / Sucker Punch
- Brick Break

Edit: Whoops, I thought that I had recommended LO Totodile, but as Sam pointed out, it looks like I put in Eviolite. That's fixed, now.

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
I agree with most of the things solid gold said and will build on those a bit.
Totodile without Life Orb is quite weak and misses out on a lot of damage that could be helpful in a sweep. Some examples

With Evio:

+1 236+ Atk Sheer Force Totodile Ice Punch vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 236+ Atk Sheer Force Totodile Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-16 (61.9 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With Life Orb

+1 236+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Totodile Ice Punch vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 23-29 (92 - 116%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 236+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Totodile Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 17-21 (80.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

As one can see, Life Orb Totodile is far more powerful and capable of sweeping than Evio is. You trade a bit of bulk for a lot more power, which is ok in this case because its the sweeper of this team.

Another option would be to take out Totodile and replace it with Corphish. Corphish outdamages Totodile in every aspect and does not need to use a Life Orb to do insane amounts of damage allowing it to hold an Eviolite which makes it bulkier than Totodile. Adaptability is an amazing move, and with Crabhammer not even Grass types enjoy switching into this monster.

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

I would also read through this article to help you get into LC and also to learn how to do EVs properly: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-little-help-a-guide-to-the-intricacies-of-lc.3497933/

I hope you stick around!

I agree with most of the things solid gold said and will build on those a bit.
Totodile without Life Orb is quite weak and misses out on a lot of damage that could be helpful in a sweep. Some examples

With Evio:

+1 236+ Atk Sheer Force Totodile Ice Punch vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 236+ Atk Sheer Force Totodile Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-16 (61.9 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With Life Orb

+1 236+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Totodile Ice Punch vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 23-29 (92 - 116%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 236+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Totodile Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 17-21 (80.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

As one can see, Life Orb Totodile is far more powerful and capable of sweeping than Evio is. You trade a bit of bulk for a lot more power, which is ok in this case because its the sweeper of this team.

Another option would be to take out Totodile and replace it with Corphish. Corphish outdamages Totodile in every aspect and does not need to use a Life Orb to do insane amounts of damage allowing it to hold an Eviolite which makes it bulkier than Totodile. Adaptability is an amazing move, and with Crabhammer not even Grass types enjoy switching into this monster.

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

I would also read through this article to help you get into LC and also to learn how to do EVs properly: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-little-help-a-guide-to-the-intricacies-of-lc.3497933/

I hope you stick around!
Thanks! I've been thinking about using Corphish for some time, and now I just might do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)