Swampert

I still wouldn't use boiling water with it though. and even though it didn't really get anything. I think it will stick around for a while. it would be too good in the lower tiers imo.
I don't know, UU had Moltres (alebit barely because it came close to being booted), Yanmega, Milotic, Venasaur, Blaziken before speedboost, Registeel, etc last time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Swampert but I don't see he'll remain OU tier (not that you couldn't use him obviously). He's not a Gallade/Heracross/Honchkrow tearing apart UU/BL (assumably, although it could happen, just not likely). Actually, it had Torterra who is somewhat similar to Swampert in that it countered physical Tyranitar (although Icebeam will kill Torterra) with high defense and hp and setting up rocks. It has Swords Dance/Rock Polish/Growth/Stock Pile to boost it's stats (not all on the same set obviously). It has Leech Seed to steal hp and also gets a stab on Earthquake, had the key rock resist, etc. If anything, I predict Torterra would sooner move up in OU (I don't see why not, it's great and Ice is less common than Dragon moves now, sets up Stealth Rock, better bulk than Swampert, can smash through unfortunate waters (watch out for Icebeam but you could use that to get something else in since it is such an Ice lure), especially that stupid face Quagsire, immune to Sand...)

Before I turn this into the virtues of Torterra, I do believe however Swampert just isn't going to be as good around this time as he was last. Bulky waters need to have a non-Rest sort of Recovery and it's outclassed by that (and generally bulkiness) by Vaporeon, Slowbro, Quagsire, Gastrodon (lol how the tides turned), etc. Slowbro especially excites me because of Regeneration and the Fighting resist, something important to have. Swampert will have a nice comfortable home in UU where Milotic and the rest of the good but not good enough but used to be pokes have all gone out to pasture. He'd be very good there (in competition with Blastoise, Samurott, Milotic, and Feraligator although I do believe Feraligator might actually jump to at least BL OU because of Encourage and I just can't believe it would stay there).

What would be to good for the UU is Latias (usage wise). I mean seriously?

I do believe however Swampert just isn't going to be as good around this time as he was last. Bulky waters need to have a non-Rest sort of Recovery and it's outclassed by that (and generally bulkiness) by Vaporeon, Slowbro, Quagsire, Gastrodon (lol how the tides turned), etc.
agreed. it will be outclassed. But you know people liek dem mudkips lol

Sorry to bring this back up but I just wanted to point out that Swampert is a beast in Random Match-ups. Most are rarely equiped with a grass pokemon or move that can really KO it.

Swampert still has its uses you know - it makes as good a switch into Heatran as ever and it still has few issues taking on the likes of Tyranitar, Gliscor, Hippowdon, etc. It also has an alternative STAB to use should you face a Drought team.

Obviously, it isn't as great against many top-tier threats, but it isn't entirely useless.

Swampert isn't fully demolished by weather. He's got Ground STAB against Sun at least, and possibly Ice Punch etc. from a Gen IV tutor. Yes, Solarbeam/any Grass=gg, but if Swampert hits on the switch the enemy's still taking some damage. Rain does hurt with boosted Water attacks flying everywhere, but again EQ is incredibly useful and Swampert can force switches/KO non Water-typed Swift Swim team members; unfortunately his usability is severely compromised by Ludicolo. An extra buff is duration of Rain Dance (SS+DrizzleToad=nuh-uh), so when the Rain stops, Swampert is right as rain again (pun not really intended). Swampert is compromised in both weather conditions, but not useless. And s/he is beast against Sandstorm. And Damp helps against the odd Exploding Heatran, Gross or Snorlax (though the power nerf hurts.)

rain never stops, nobody will use rain dance for the swift swimmers when tornadus is such a beast, but thats besides the point.
swampert is still a good poke, but without a recovery move (slack off anyone??) he goes down to fast. just for the record whit one layer of spikes and rocks heatran has a chance to 2hkos in the sun trough lefties
actually this meta is kinder to torterra since he basically check the same things (sand, some dragons) with the added recovery from leech seeds

Is there a better Zapdos counter than Swampert? Besides Blissey and Snorlax? Because I honestly can't think of one. Tyranitar maybe except it can stall you out of PP. Other Electrics are iffy when they decide to release Lightningrod, though then it can't get Heat Wave.

Is there a better Zapdos counter than Swampert? Besides Blissey and Snorlax? Because I honestly can't think of one. Tyranitar maybe except it can stall you out of PP. Other Electrics are iffy when they decide to release Lightningrod, though then it can't get Heat Wave.
Gastrodon since it gets Recover? It can also stop some rain threats (Starmie, Tornadus [I think], Scarf/Specs Jellicent, etc.) by using Storm Drain and Stockpile/Scald/Recover/HP-Grass. You might opt for Ice Beam/Earth Power over Stockpile since setting Stockpile up just begs for random Criticals.

Scald can't really hurt Zapdos though. You really need Ice Beam and even then I'm not sure it can outstall specially defensive Zapdos without a Storm Drain boost. Yawn works I guess except against Toxic Stall, though to be fair Swampert has trouble against that set too without Roar.

Scald can't really hurt Zapdos though. You really need Ice Beam and even then I'm not sure it can outstall specially defensive Zapdos without a Storm Drain boost. Yawn works I guess except against Toxic Stall, though to be fair Swampert has trouble against that set too without Roar.
My own bulky Zappy carries HP-Grass for Grounds in general and Gastro/Swampy/Quagsire, so that's something to watch out for also.

Specially defensive Camerupt does great for me, Overheat or Fire Blast Zapdos than EQ it when its forced to Roost. Heatwave is resisted, HP Ice or Grass does lol damage and Thunderbolt is a free switch in.

Specially defensive Camerupt does great for me, Overheat or Fire Blast Zapdos than EQ it when its forced to Roost. Heatwave is resisted, HP Ice or Grass does lol damage and Thunderbolt is a free switch in.
But what else does that do for your team other than add cool-points?

It can SR, can support by spreading burns with WoW, has a excellent double STAB, its one of the few things which doesn't get stomped by Volcarona thanks to a powerful physical STAB EQ, resists and good s.def. If you run a balloon version it actually becomes a decent backup way of dealing with Heatran and Excadrill as well in a pinch.

I'd just like to point out that Swampert is a complete check for Sandstorm. Physically bulky variants of Swampert take less than half damage from un-boosted moves from the likes of Excadrill, Landorus, and even Garchomp (In fact, my Swampert, which doesn't even have max def, takes ~60% from a CRIT max atk Garchomp Outrage) and hit back hard with Ice Beam or Earthquake, depending on the poke. It's also still a great Baton Pass check with its high bulk and Roar of course, and Stealth Rock always helps, especially mid-game. Standard Tankpert from 4th Gen got even more useful this gen, so I don't see why people are putting it down.

I'd just like to point out that Swampert is a complete check for Sandstorm. Physically bulky variants of Swampert take less than half damage from un-boosted moves from the likes of Excadrill, Landorus, and even Garchomp (In fact, my Swampert, which doesn't even have max def, takes ~60% from a CRIT max atk Garchomp Outrage) and hit back hard with Ice Beam or Earthquake, depending on the poke. It's also still a great Baton Pass check with its high bulk and Roar of course, and Stealth Rock always helps, especially mid-game. Standard Tankpert from 4th Gen got even more useful this gen, so I don't see why people are putting it down.
Bullshit. Max/Max Swampert takes 51.4% - 60.5% from a landorus Earthquake, a guranteed 2HKO with Stealth Rock. And Swampert is taking much more then 60% from a crit Outrage from Garchomp. It does more in the ballpark of a min of 76% from Scarf Chomp. Swampert isn't used that much because of the advent of Nattorei, Virizion, and the general power boost of everything this gen. No reliable recovery just solidfies the faults with him.

a fail to see how 51.4% - 60.5% is a guaranteed ohko, as i said is a decent check for landorus (unless it sword dances) since it can come on stone edge/ hp ice , survive the quake and ice beam him, also +2 adamant LO excadrill does 89.1% - 105% to max-max swampy so again a check if you use a water attack

Are you sure Burningman? I passed bellydrum to a Metagross once, and Swampert took only 60 some odd % from his +6 EQ. This was on Shoddy.

Edit: Did the Calc, 414 Atk Dory with LO and +2 does 294-346 to 394 Def pert. This is never a KO as Swampert can have 364 hp.

source: http://pokedex-br.info/damage.html
i did calcs. +6 +Max metagross earthquake does 380-413 damage on max +nature swampert and max hp swamperts have 404 hp so it if this is the case, it is possible to survive this attack.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
CB Swampert hurts like hell. I love when Skarmory get 2HKO'd by Waterfall or when the standard Ferrothorn gets 2HKO'd by Earthquake. ;3

Seriously, Swamp checks TTar/Gliscor/Hippo/Thunderus(sp?) and others and hit them all hard with Waterfall.

Stop using him like an inferior Quagsire people.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i completely disagree...
swampert cannot last even one minute against sand offense...
landorus easily 2hkoes and so does lifo orb terakion and life orb adamant excadrill(and balloon excadrill 3hkoes but swampert can't do anything back except roaring him out),other common pokes in sand teams are rotom-w,ferrothorn,gliscor and latios all of which fuck swampert in one way or another(rotom-w hydro pumps for nice damage while swampert does shit or will-o-wisps,ferrothorn outright ohkos,gliscor can poison him with toxic or fling and latios is...a murderer).
and the only garchomp that swampert counters well is the scarf one...bandchomp 2hkoes if i remember correctly with outrage and sub sd chomp can get past swampert with one miss or if swampert has lost like 25% of it's health...
the only sand threat that swampert can counter well is tyranitar(and hippowdon but he is not used so much)and even then i can mention 3 pokes that do it better than him without being limited to unreliably checking a very few threats...
against rain and sun..i don't even have to talk about this...
r.i.p. ou swampert!!!

Well is it worth it losing your best sand sweepers to try and 2HKO Swampert? As with EQ/Surf/Ice Beam he can OHKO a lot of them back.

I read through the usage statistics that were recently posted, and I seemed to noticed that a few people were scandalized by how swampert gets more usage than quagsire (or even gastrodon), when it is severely outclassed. Is this true? Now I know quagsire got a really good upgrade in unaware, but is swmpert really that bad now?

I guess what I'm asking is, what niche could swampert do, that quagsire can't?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well is it worth it losing your best sand sweepers to try and 2HKO Swampert? As with EQ/Surf/Ice Beam he can OHKO a lot of them back.
swampert will be switching in on these sand sweepers so if they 2hko him that means that swampert dies before he attacks...almost all sand sweepers carry sd and swampert falls prey to almost all of them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)