Swellow

Swellow (Gen V Analysis)

- The Swallow Pokémon -

Normal / Flying
60 HP / 85 ATK / 60 DEF / 50 SATK / 50 SPDEF / 125 SPD

Code:
[LEFT][LEFT][B]Ability 1:[/B] Guts
[/LEFT]
Attack raised by 1 stage when inflicted with burn, paralysis, sleep or poison.[/LEFT]

[LEFT][LEFT][B]Ability 2:[/B] Scrappy (Dream World)
[/LEFT]
Normal- and fighting-type moves can hit ghosts.
[LEFT] 
[B]Level up-moves:[/B]
Lv1: Pluck
Lv1: Peck
[/LEFT]
 Lv1: Growl
[LEFT]Lv1: Focus Energy
[/LEFT]
[B]Lv1: Quick Attack[/B]
[LEFT]Lv4: Focus Energy
[/LEFT]
[B]Lv8: Quick Attack[/B]
[LEFT]Lv13: Wing Attack
[/LEFT]
Lv19: Double Team
[LEFT][B]Lv28: Endeavor[/B]
[/LEFT]
Lv38: Aerial Ace
[LEFT][B]Lv49: Agility[/B]
[/LEFT]
Lv61: Air Slash
[LEFT]
[B]Egg moves:[/B]
[B]Pursuit[/B]
Supersonic
Refresh
Mirror Move
Rage
Sky Attack
Whirlwind
[B]Brave Bird[/B]
Roost
Steel Wing

[B]TMs/HMs:[/B]
TM06 – Toxic
[/LEFT]
 TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
[LEFT]TM15 - Hyper Beam
[/LEFT]
[B]TM17 – Protect[/B]
[LEFT]TM18 - Rain Dance
[/LEFT]
TM21 – Frustration
[LEFT][B]TM27 – Return[/B]
[/LEFT]
TM32 - Double Team
[LEFT]TM40 - Aerial Ace
[/LEFT]
[B]TM42 – Façade[/B]
[LEFT]TM44 – Rest
[/LEFT]
TM45 – Attract
[LEFT]TM46 – Thief
[/LEFT]
TM48 – Troll
[LEFT]TM49 - Echo Voice
[/LEFT]
TM68 - Giga Impact
[LEFT][B]TM83 - Cheer Up[/B]
[/LEFT]
TM87 – Swagger
[LEFT]TM88 – Pluck

[B]TM89 - U-Turn[/B]
[/LEFT]
[B]TM90 – Substitute[/B]
[LEFT]HM02 - Fly

[B]Troll [/B]– Normal / Special / PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
[/LEFT]
Raises BP the more pokémon you have with the attack.
[B]Echo Voice[/B] – Normal / Special / PP: 15 / Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100
[LEFT]Power increases each consecutive turn it is used by the Pokemon or its teammates.
[/LEFT]
[B]Cheer Up[/B] – Normal / -- / PP: 30
[LEFT]Raises ATK and SATK by one stage each.[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

+ Guts set
– Swellow is notable for its Guts Activation set, combining Guts (activated via a Flame/Toxic Orb) with Façade, which not only gains increased power but also STAB.

+ A Speed stat of 125 – incredible base speed, and the second fastest in Gen IVs UU tier.

+ Good scouting capabilities – with it’s excellent speed, good attack, and access to U-Turn, this is a given.

- Residual damage – due to either poison or burn, an SR weakness, and Brave Bird’s recoil, Swellow racks up residual damage quickly, and will need to watch out if it’s planning on switching in and out or scouting via U-Turn.

- Poor move type coverage – flying, normal, dark, and bug… that’s it. No fighting-type moves; nothing to hit rock or steel types for SE damage, a rather crippling weakness as the two types resist both of Swellow’s STABs.

In Gen IV, Swellow was a powerful late-game sweeper and scout in UU, making use of its decent attack, STAB Façade and Guts in order to become a fearsome opponent. Perhaps the most disappointing thing in Gen V is that Swellow didn’t gain any interesting new offensive moves, not even Close Combat, which would have been a perfect fit. However, the question here is: what has Swellow gained this gen, and how will it fare in the new metagame?

Notable changes:

Scrappy – with Scrappy, a CB Swellow will no longer need to worry about ghosts blocking Return and attempting to stop its sweep.

Cheer Up – the only Attack-boosting move currently availabe to Swellow. It can be used either to allow for it to sweep, or be Baton Passed to another member on the team.

Suggested sets:

Scrappy Choice Band
Swellow @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 SDef
- Brave Bird
- Return
- U-Turn
- Quick Attack / Pursuit

Mostly unchanged from the Gen IV CB-set, the only change to the moves being that there is no use for Façade with Scrappy. There is no longer any need to fear a ghost switching into a Return, thanks to the new ability. Not much to comment on, unfortunately.

Some calcs vs. Ghosts, for the curious:
Mismagius, 48 HP / 0 Def: 103.7% - 122.3% OHKO
Mismagius, 252 HP / 0 Def: 87.3% - 103.1% OHKO with SR damage (almost always)
Rotom (Elec/Ghost), 0 HP / 0 Def: 96.3% - 113.7% OHKO (with SR damage)
Rotom (Elec/Ghost), 252 HP / 252 Def, Bold: 52.6% - 62.2% 2HKO
Froslass, 0 HP / 0 Def: 89.7% - 105.7% OHKO (with SR damage)
Froslass, 248 HP / 228 Def: 55.4% - 65.6% 2HKO
Drifblim, 12 HP / 252 Def: 53.4% - 62.8% 2HKO
Spiritomb, 252 HP / 252 Def, Bold: 41.8% - 49.7% 2-3HKO with SR damage (note that this is the bulkiest variant)
Gengar, 0 HP / 4 Def: 107.3% - 126.8% OHKO
Gen V Pokémon:
Shanderaa, 0 HP / 0 Def: 78.2% - 92.3% OHKO
Shanderaa, 252 HP / 252 Def, Bold: 44.4% - 52.8% 2HKO with SR damage
Burunkeru, 252 HP / 252 Def, Bold: 41.8% - 49.3% 2-3HKO with SR damage
Goruggo, 252 HP / 252 Def, Bold: 40.8% - 48.2% 2-3HKO with SR damage
Cheer Up Pass
Swellow @ Liechi / Petaya / Starf berry
Ability: Scrappy / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Sdef
- Cheer Up
- Substitue
- Baton Pass
- Return

A variant of the old SubPassEndeavor set: cheer up, sub down to where your berry activates, and then Baton Pass. Return is there for some kind of STAB attacking move. A note on the berries: I don’t recommend Salac, as you would be better off passing Agility than Cheer Up in that case. Swellow makes for a nice Baton Passer, due in large part to its excellent speed stat. If you want, you may also attempt a sweep after the boosts. In general, I’d say Scrappy > Guts for this set, as relying on prediction to get burned/poisoned is too risky, and ghosts could end your sweeping attempt.

Following set by DDRMaster:
DDRMaster said:
Swellow @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Ability: Guts

~ Cheer Up
~ Brave Bird
~ Facade
~ Quick Attack/Pursuit/U-turn

Cheer Up essentially replaces Protect on the standard set. With the SpAtk boost from Cheer Up, Heat Wave might actually be able to do damage to things like Skarmory, but I haven't ran any calcs. This set is more focused on sweeping so Flame Orb was chosen, since you'll likely be staying in longer, and why U-turn isn't a primary option.

Can't say either of the listed changes excite me. Guts (+Facade) was why it was good to begin with so losing that is =/ and I don't really see Cheer Up doing much...

It seems like Cheer Up could be used on a Guts activating set to do even more damage.

Swellow @ Flame Orb

~ Cheer Up
~ Brave Bird
~ Facade

Cheer Up essentially replaces Protect on the standard set. With the SpAtk boost from Cheer Up, Heat Wave might actually be able to do damage to things like Skarmory, but I haven't ran any calcs. This set is more focused on sweeping so Flame Orb was chosen, since you'll likely be staying in longer, and why U-turn isn't a primary option.

Swellow @ Flame Orb

~ Cheer Up
~ Brave Bird
~ Facade

Thanks; I added it to the OP. Pretty obvious set in hindsight. :) A quick calc says that Swellow's +1 Heat Wave does 44.9% - 53.3%, ie a 2HKO. Don't know if it's worth it's own moveslot, but there you go.

I'd agree that, in general, the GUTS+Facade combo is more useful than anything else, but I'd like for the new changes to see some kind of use.

V Raptorg: haha, you're right, and by the way, SR's damage hasn't changed. I just forgot. Edited it in, thanks for the correction!

Shanderaa, 0 HP / 0 Def: 78.2% - 92.3% May OHKO with SR damage
Isn't that a OHKO? Shanderaa is a fire type, and therefore takes 25% damage from stealth rock, leaving it at 75% health.

Though I've heard some stuff about stealth rock changing, but I just assumed those were rumors.

Thanks; I added it to the OP. Pretty obvious set in hindsight. :) A quick calc says that Swellow's +1 Heat Wave does 44.9% - 53.3%, ie a 2HKO. Don't know if it's worth it's own moveslot, but there you go.

I'd agree that, in general, the GUTS+Facade combo is more useful than anything else, but I'd like for the new changes to see some kind of use.
I guess then it could be useful in OU to beat Skarmory, Forretress, Scizor, and the Grass/Steel Pokemon but all of them but Skarmory take nuetral damage from Brave Bird and I doubt it will help much in UU against things like Registeel. It's probably only useful if you really don't want to use Quick Attack, Pursuit, or U-turn.

Some calcs vs. Ghosts, for the curious:
Mismagius, 48 HP / 0 Def: 103.7% - 122.3% OHKO
Mismagius, 252 HP / 0 Def: 87.3% - 103.1% OHKO with SR damage (almost always)
Rotom (Elec/Ghost), 0 HP / 0 Def: 96.3% - 113.7% OHKO (with SR damage)
Rotom (Elec/Ghost), 252 HP / 252 Def, Bold: 52.6% - 62.2% 2HKO
Excuse me for being abit skeptical on this but shouldn't you have used one of Rotom's transformations for the calc seeing they're much bulkier? Also I'm not sure we'd see any max HP Mismagius this gen, with the addition of pre-evolution stone any defensive set we see will probably be Misdreavus due to its bulkier stats overall.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
why would i even switch in a ghost when i see he isnt equiped with toxic orb wich means he has obviously a scrappy set?
I could mean a surprise kill for someone who doesnt expected that, but not much more since the power loss because of losing guts and facade isnt worth it 85 base attack isnt much without a boost even in uu and i doubt he will go a tier up seeing he has still no way to hurt steels.

Since the Rotom question has already been answered...
Also I'm not sure we'd see any max HP Mismagius this gen, with the addition of pre-evolution stone any defensive set we see will probably be Misdreavus due to its bulkier stats overall.
Misdreavus is a clean 2HKO, and is never outspeeding Swellow anyway. And people don't use 252 HP Mismagius just for the bulk. It can still be an offensive threat. As for the Perish Trap set, yeah, Misdreavus may be better suited for it.
why would i even switch in a ghost when i see he isnt equiped with toxic orb wich means he has obviously a scrappy set?
I could mean a surprise kill for someone who doesnt expected that, but not much more since the power loss because of losing guts and facade isnt worth it 85 base attack isnt much without a boost even in uu and i doubt he will go a tier up seeing he has still no way to hurt steels.
The ghost switches in expecting Return rather than Facade (eg on the CB set)? Also, last gen saw several Swellow sets without Toxic / Flame Orb, which relied on prediction in order to get statused, meaning that no burn or poison doesn't necessarily mean it has Scrappy. The Scrappy set is just an improvement (arguably) on the old Choice Band set, which does have an automatic boost. :)

But now that it does have scrappy if they don't have an Orb then they are obviously running scrappy on the CB set so in effect they still know. I hardly think Guts/CB will be a standard set.

Hmm, what about an Endeavor set?

Provide the Baton Pass Swellow with Endeavor over Return... AND HEY, now ENDEAVOR works on GHOSTS TOO!

On your current Baton Pass set, put Scrappy before Guts since you recommend it first.

Possibly for an Endeavor set:

Swellow: @ Starf / Petaya / Liechi berry
Scrappy
- Endeavor is affecting Ghosts now
240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Speed
Jolly

Cheer Up
Substitute
Baton Pass
Endeavor

By not needing Attack EVs, you can invest more into getting bigger HP Substitutes to be passed on. This provides you with a Leftovers number + 1, so you can Substitute down to 1 HP, and also so Stealth Rocks doesn't ruin your flow (being able to survive 4 Substitutes or 4 Stealth Rocks switch-ins and be at 1 HP) so you can Endeavor accordingly.

Provide the Baton Pass Swellow with Endeavor over Return... AND HEY, now ENDEAVOR works on GHOSTS TOO!
Yes, which means that FEAT (Focus Sash Endeavor quick Attack Taillow) is clearly better than FEAR now!
(I almost considered a FEAT set. Almost.)

On your current Baton Pass set, put Scrappy before Guts since you recommend it first.

Possibly for an Endeavor set:

Swellow: @ Starf / Petaya / Liechi berry
Scrappy
- Endeavor is affecting Ghosts now
240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Speed
Jolly

Cheer Up
Substitute
Baton Pass
Endeavor

By not needing Attack EVs, you can invest more into getting bigger HP Substitutes to be passed on. This provides you with a Leftovers number + 1, so you can Substitute down to 1 HP, and also so Stealth Rocks doesn't ruin your flow (being able to survive 4 Substitutes or 4 Stealth Rocks switch-ins and be at 1 HP) so you can Endeavor accordingly.
I considered something like this, but Endeavor as your only damaging move is problematic as the enemy will just defeat Swellow immediately after you use it. It would need Quick Attack somewhere in order to be viable, but you wouldn't want to lose any of the three other moves, which is why I decided on Return.

(As for your first suggestion, sure, why not. Consider it done.)

Did they ever confirm if scouting was even necessary anymore? (The whole you can view the teams before battle bs)

Scouting is probably still necessary, even if you know what your opp has you don't know what set it is and you need to lure it out anyway.

A CB Guts set, to take Toxics/Will-O-Wisps works great. You essentialy have a ×2.25 boost in your attacks, and Façade has 210 BP after STAB. I think that makes up for Swellow's "low" attack stat.

Seems to me that Cheer Up + Life Orb Return is about the same power as a Guts Facade? You do get slightly less residual damage if you are using Flame Orb > Toxic Orb but you do take damage if you U-turn right off the bat, just a possible option if you really want to use scrappy?

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Seeing as how drizzle (with swift swim) is now banned, you'll have to find something else to provide weather support. Swellow is an excellent choice, as he's one of the fastest pokemon who gets both rain dance and sunny day.

Seeing as how drizzle (with swift swim) is now banned, you'll have to find something else to provide weather support. Swellow is an excellent choice, as he's one of the fastest pokemon who gets both rain dance and sunny day.
But Swellow is frail, which means you'll not get your weather up more than 2 times. Rain/Trick Room is best set up by Bronzong.

breh

強いだね
But who wants to use 8 turn rain?

Thats right.

Nobody

(also Thundurus is better at doing the same, FYI; Swellow dies too fast and has inferor typing)

Thats right.

Nobody

(also Thundurus is better at doing the same, FYI; Swellow dies too fast and has inferor typing)
People did in Gen 4, and people still do now. Not as many people as would use permanent weather, but they're there. Denying their existence is simply ignorant.

However, in the current metagame, it's completely true that any setting of 8-turn rain should be done by Thundurus or Tornadus - or both.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted

Thats right.

Nobody

I prefer swift swim over permanent rain. You can stall or whatever all you want, but in the meantime I'll just start sweeping with my kingdra.

WIth scrappy i can hit those damned ghost with STAB boosted 140 base power faca....
Oh.... wait

YEah thats my thought when i actualy read swellow get scrappy.

you can't use Scrappy with Guts, which is the only reason why Swellow uses Facade and status orbs, heck, its the only reason why Swellow was even used in Gen 4.

besides Return is still obscenely good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)