Sword Storm (a Dream World Rain Team)

Blown Away and Shredded to Bits - The Storm of Swords

Okay, this is probably my favorite team, and my most successful team to date, peaking at 30 on the Smogon Dream World OU ladder. It's a fairly simple team, based upon an end-game sweep with what I feel to be one of the most underused threats in the DW Ladder - Keldeo. However, if the Keldeo sweep doesn't go well, it's got a couple of other options.

Team at a Glance
images courtesy of veekun

Team Building Process

For sure, I knew I wanted to have Keldeo destroying things in rain. So I needed two things - Keldeo and a rain caller. Politoed does just that.

Tornadus was added as a combination scout and wallbreaker. Very few of the things that can handle Keldeo can handle Tornadus. Many special walls are worn down by Hurricane then KOed later on. Tornadus also acts as a backup sweeper if things go wrong.

I noticed I have a huge weakness to electric types, so Ferrothorn was added to patch up the hole. Ferrothorn also sets spikes, smacks bulky waters around, and is a general nuisance.

Next, I thought about adding another sweeper. Light Screen Contrary Serperior was added for the increasingly powerful Leaf Storm.

I added Deoxys-S in order to set up Stealth Rock and abuse rain. Plain, simple, effective.

I replaced Deoxys-S with Jirachi, since it really wasn't doing as much as I thought it would. Jirachi also provides Wish support, which is important, since none of my team has reliable recovery. Jirachi also acts as a check to several threats, notably Reuniclus, the Lati twins and Serperior. The latter two are especially important, since they outspeed Keldeo. Paralysis support also helps my team immensely. I also noticed Serperior wasn't doing its fair share - sure, Leaf Storm hurt a lot, but really, if it couldn't get to +6, it wasn't denting things. Even at +6, it still had trouble with some things. I added Breloom and haven't looked back.

In Depth

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Toxic

Besides being cute, Politoed has a couple main jobs - set up rain, take fire attacks and help check Baton Pass teams. My EVs and nature are slightly different from standard, giving him a wee bit more special bulk, since he's shooting to burn most physical attackers with Scald anyways. Scald acts as an obligatory STAB, and as a bonus burns. Perish Song is a big F U to Baton Pass, Toxic helps whittle down walls, and Protect to scout and heal. He also takes hits like a pro, and if I don't need him to maintain rain, I will let him take stronger attacks for the rest of my team. For example, standard Scarf Genesect only does ~60% with Thunderbolt. Not bad, right? Politoed also smacks things reasonably hard if rain is up, with Scald reaching the same power as Outrage. Uninvested base 90 SpA, yeah, but when a cute, green frog fires boiling water at you, you better be afraid.

Considering:
I'm considering replacing him with a choice variant, but I'm really happy with what's he's been doing, and having 3 choice users is a bit crazy with no spinner.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump

My Little Brony destroys everything. Nothing except Soul Dew Latis (who are banned), Jellicent (who is checked by a huge portion of my team, dislikes +1 HP Ghost and can't do much back), Gastrodon (shanked by Secret Sword afterwards) and Multiscale Dragonite (which gets ruined by SR) can reliably switch into a Hydro Pump in rain. If it's +1, even the fat pink blobs are at risk of getting 2HKOed. Secret Sword slices and dices through common special walls, notably Ferrothorn (the bane of most rain teams), Chansey, Blissey and Gastrodon (the other bane of rain teams). Keldeo's excellent power, speed and bulk let him sweep through any defensive team. He's deathly afraid of a lot of things though - Thundurus, Tornadus, Starmie, the Latis, Gengar, Serperior and basically anything faster than him, is able to switch in, and packs a move that can KO/severely cripple him. Everything on that list is checked by the rest of my team, although I do like to send Keldeo in early to fire off Hydro Pumps at stuff.

Considering:
Hydro Pump -> Surf. No seriously. I'll send Keldeo in to take care of Zapdos (yes, I'm fucking stupid), miss horribly with Hydro Pump and get swept. I've missed so many crucial kills because of dat 80% accuracy. But the power is huge. Hydro Pump has ~60 more base power factoring in STAB and the rain boost.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Bulldoze
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Maybe it's because I'm South East Asian, but I like durians. Ferrothorn is no exception to this like. Durian is good for everything. So is Ferrothorn. For example, Rotom-W come to destroy me? Nope, Ferrothorn comes in, Leech Seeds and starts spiking. Trick is annoying, yes, but Ferrothorn can USUALLY deal with it. Latis come in threatening Keldeo? Nope, I throw a durian at them and they die cuz durians are hard, heavy and spikyFerrothorn comes in and walls them hard. Gastrodon? Hah. Thundurus? Okay, so Ferro doesn't check him that well. But, Ferrothorn does a lot for this team, most notably, being one out of two lightning resists and being paralysis fodder.

Bulldoze. Wat. Many of you might be reacting that way. But, Bulldoze helps with a few notable things. Magnezone gets 2HKOed. Offensive Chandy too. Well, Chandy kills me regardless unless it's been worn down.

Considering:
Running Gyro Ball over Power Whip or Bulldoze. If I do keep Bulldoze, I should probably switch over to a Careful nature so I can outspeed (lol) certain things at -1. What exactly? I dunno.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

Once considered the black sheep of the three genies, Tornadus has come back. He's not happy. Those glasses he's wearing? They're to help aim those freaking gusts of winds at you. That wind? It's moving in excess of 150 miles an hour. It's like if you attached a V6 engine to a brick and then the brick was actually a rainstorm. Okay, bad example, but the point stands. Tornadus is here to destroy things. Really, he has 4 moves, but I almost never use anything other than Hurricane. Focus Blast is there for Jirachi, Tyranitar and I guess the pink blobs, U-turn for momentum-grabbing, and Grass Knot is for Tyranitar and Water/Grounds, notably Quagsire. But no seriously, he's just so mad that he forgets that he does anything other than summon Hurricanes to destroy you with. And I'm content with that.

Considering:
HP Ice and/or Hammer Arm over something, HP Ground, or completely replacing him with NP Thundurus, who's legal in DW OU. Maybe a Choice Scarf, too, since Breloom can't revenge everything.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 180 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish

Also here to be cute. Also here to annoy the living dog shit out of everything. Jirachi takes hits like a beast, and hugs entire teams before systematically disassembling them by ramming its cute, metal forehead into them. He also provides two extremely important things other than not dying - Wish support and Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock nets key KOs, wears things down, and is generally very important. Wish is huge. None of my walls have reliable recovery. Keldeo has issues with getting worn down. Wish doesn't completely get rid of that, but it helps immensely. It also helps me switch Tornadus in more easily when he needs to.

Considering:
Something that passes bigger wishes, or a better check to Keldeo's revengers. Also - Thunder Wave > Body Slam. Pretty satisfied with what he does though.

Breloom (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Low Sweep
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Okay, I can't take credit for this set. I also can't remember who it was who came up with this set (I think it was Jumpman). But, it has worked WONDERS for me. Breloom comes in on something, then depending on what it is/what I will predict will come in, uses a move. Espeon looking to bounce back a spore? Nope, tripped, and then kicked again before it gets a chance to get up. Gliscor? Shot down. Chandelure? Broken by sharp rocks or seeds. Very few things come in safely versus Choice Band Breloom. Breloom also plays an important role in revenging - it's especially important for checking Excadrill, who is legal in DW OU. It also reliably revenges anything not resistant to Fighting, and sweeps with Mach Punch as well. I think Celebi and Skarmory might be the only things that CAN reliably come in, no matter what move I use. No Spore, no Swords Dance. Just pure pain.

Considering:
A different set entirely? A different mon entirely? Breloom has been excellent to me, but sometimes the lack of bulk is somewhat saddening.
Notable Threats
Excadrill - If I can't get rain back up and Breloom is dead, gg.

Swift Swim - Keldeo, Ferrothorn and Politoed can take a hit, but Toed can't hit back.

Dragons - I lack both Ice-type and a Dragon-type attacks. However, my team can hit them very hard neutrally (I've never had a problem with damaging them), and Politoed can make sure there's not a chance to set up.

Starmie - Outspeeds my entire team and takes it out with an appropriate attack. HUGE. Ferrothorn is the only thing that can take it on.

Serperior - Trolled by Jirachi and Ferrothorn

Chandelure - I gotta be cautious with Breloom, who if choice-locked into a Fighting move, lets Chandy get to +6/+6 and possibly behind a sub. Not fun. Ferro gets KOed, but if I predict the switch-in, Chandy's not going to like it. Jirachi can't do shit but set up Rocks.

Reuniclus - Jirachi laughs at the CM version. Keldeo does too. What really scares me is OTR, which kills my entire team dead very fast, unless
Jirachi gets lucky with paralysis, Focus Blast misses and Iron Head flinching.

Terrakion - Nothing I have can switch into Terrakion safely. Everything gets 2HKOed by the appropriate move. Breloom revenges consistently, while Tornadus can take out non-Scarf versions MOST Of the time.

Thundurus - Standard NP version rapes me. Jirachi isn't happy to take +2 Focus Blast or Thunderbolt, but it can and paralyze in a pinch. Otherwise, I can attempt to wear it down with smart switching and then have Breloom punch him in the face.

And that is it! Hope you enjoy my first RMT! Please rate and add any constructive criticism you may want.

thundurus and excadrill are banned so aren't a problem. keldeo is not released and techinician breloom too so I think you play only on pokemon online. for the team, i suggest to use a different set for breloom and for tornadus too, expecially for breloom the band is useless with techinician and 394 atk with an adamant nature, i suggest to use the standard techniloom set:
Breloom @i don't remember
adamant
252 atk 252 spe 4 hp
technician
-bullet seed
-mach punch/drain punch
-spore
-substitute
breloom is really hard to stop and can do out entire teams if used correctly, with this set you have a great bullet seed and a priority like mach punch with technician is awsome, drain punch is to regain health. you can also keep both and leave spore or substitute.
for thundurus the specs are not the best, a set with charty berry or life orb will works better I think. replacing grass knot with hp ice and u-turn with tailwind it provides great offensive power and good support with tailwind. if you want to replace him i suggest you multiscale dragonite:
dragonite @life orb/leftovers
mild/rash
multiscale
252 spA 200 spe 52 atk (there are also other ev spreads)
-hurricane
-aqua tail/waterfall/surf
-dragon claw/draco metor/outrage
-extremespeed/roost/brick break/earthquake
With this dragons are not a problem, you canr evenge kill with extremespeed and abuse of a powerful hurricane. the second slot is boosted in the rain for good neutral coverage, the third is for STAB and the 4th is personal: with ES you get +2 priority that is always good, with roost you can restore life orb damages and the last two are for coverage against blissey or ferrothorn. also fire blast is viable to check skarmory even if in the rain its power is lowered. hope this helps good luck!

I don't think you were reading my post very carefully - in DW OU (on Smogon Server), Thundurus and Excadrill are unbanned. Also, don't knock CB Breloom before you try it - it destroys many things with little effort.

Tornadus's best set is indeed Specs, IMO, but I will look into DNite, since I currently don't have a solid answer to most Dragons yet, although Latios still beats him.

Hey there,

I really like how you are using more obscure sets that still take advantage of rain just as well as any other typical rain abusers. I have to try that Specs Tornadus set now. Anyway, IMO, Bulldoze on Ferro doesn't seem really worth it. I understand that it 2KOs Magnezone and Chandelure, but don't both of them one hit you anyway? Also, Gyro Ball would hit boosting Dragons pretty hard because of your low speed and STAB. I would recommend Gyro Ball over Bulldoze, but that's just my two cents.

Overall awesome team and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)