Monotype TA13OO

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hey there my dudes! Most of you may already know me in the Monotype community, but for those who don't, my name is Havens and I'm here to present my first official RMT, simply pronounced, Taboo. I'd like to consider this team as anti-meta, as I utilize my favorite typing in Dragon (to which I feel is criminally underrated) and mix them with niche picks which stray away from the norm of a traditional Dragon HO. What started out completely as a meme team turned out has been one of my favorite teams to play with, competitively and for fun for the past few months now, and I've even used variants of this team in tournament settings to surprising success, and hopefully ya'll will give it a try to be successful all the same~

~The Circus~

HELLO B (Druddigon) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Yup. This was the meme pick. I got the idea of using Druddigon sometime in December just as Monotype Winter Premier was wrapping up and Smogon Exhibition was starting up again for a second iteration. I had just been in this slump of teambuilding and found that the teams I had were really stale, and the current meta had a ton of Balance heavy teams that I feel just didn't really fit my passive-aggressive playstyle. While I kinda scoffed at the idea of using this first, after playing with this on ladder and in some other high level games, I thought, "Damn, this actually isn't bad." The combination of Glare, Stealth Rock and Mold Breaker sounded like a very good change of pace from the standard Focus Sash Garchomp sets, which were very much blockable by Magic Bounce users and abusable by setup users such as Mega Latias and Volcarona. Now that I passed that lead role to Druddigon, I was able to pressure those foes with ease and permit Garchomp with the opportunity to undertake what I believe is a better role.

MAD 1 GOT 1T (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Drain Punch
- Taunt
It's really hard to build a proper Dragon team without this absolute monster known as Kommo-o. With an incredibly strong offensive and defensive statline, it could easily use its custom Z-move, Clangorous Soulblaze, to attain an omniboost and transform itself into undoubtedly the best sweeper Dragon teams have available. This moveset is optimized to better handle a wide variety of matchups, most notably Steel as the combination of Flamethrower and Drain Punch is virtually unresisted by Steel teams. It's also a godsend against Normal teams by virtue of its typing, especially as Dragon teams lack a reliable Knock Off user to hinder Chansey and Porygon2 effectively. Take this omniboosted Pokemon, add Taunt to prevent opponent recovery or Haze / phasing and you have arguably the best setup sweeper currently in the Monotype tier.

ZWITCH 1T UP (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Iron Head

Since I had given the role of a lead towards Druddigon, this team finally gave me a reason to use Choice Scarf Garchomp. While it's plastered with its two strongest STAB moves, I also elected to use both Poison Jab and Iron Head to grant Garchomp the near perfect coverage against pesky Fairy teams. Why this? Often I found that Dragon teams hardly had any conventional checks to Fairy teams. More times often than not did I find that Dragon teams were willing to use supbar options such as Hidden Power Steel on Choice Scarf Latios, and only for Mega Diancie. Granted, Mega Diancie is the single biggest threat to Dragon teams, and often times the only carrier of Moonblast on Fairy teams, but just having one move for one purpose helps with only that one instance, assuming it works. With this Garchomp set, you have various options against Fairy teams, such being able to safely fire off an Iron Head to force out Mega Diancie, Poison Jab for Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko, and Earthquake for Klefki. Besides this, it also just plays the role of a revenge killer in place of Choice Scarf Latios; it is to a lesser extent because of the difference in Garchomp and Latios's speed tiers, but it still has a solid enough speed stat to threaten foes such as Quiver Dance Volcarona and Expert Belt Greninja.

V3NG3ANC3 (Latios-Mega) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover​

Mega Latios is naturally a very powerful Pokemon, but it rarely makes an appearance on Dragon teams as many of them often utilize Mega Latias or Mega Altaria instead. While both Altaria and Latias are fine Megas, they struggle in this current metagame, as Mega Altaria suffers against common, bulky sights such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex and is forced into utilizing a utility role, while Mega Latias often relies on Calm Mind and Stored Power to effectively shut down teams, which may take time that it simply doesn't have. With Mega Latios, you don't really need the time to setup as its raw power can overwhelm entire types with the proper support, especially Poison teams. Psychic is virtually spammable against many unresisted types, while Hidden Power Fire is used to OHKO / 2HKO foes such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. Earthquake is used against Heatran and to threaten one of its biggest checks in Pinch Berry Alolan Muk.

BMT (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Toxic
- Roost

This Pokemon hardly needs any introduction; Kyurem-B is an absolute behemoth with its unbridled power, which includes the best BoltBeam coverage in the tier and recovery to boot. Though this set is relatively standard, Toxic is opted for over Earth Power in order to apply pressure to its defensive checks in Porygon2 and Mega Sableye. Earth Power can still be utilized over Toxic as coverage, but I didn't feel as if it was necessary when considering that Kommo-o, Garchomp, and Mega Latios already deal with Steel just fine. A Naive nature can also be replaced with a Timid nature to amplify its Fusion Bolt, but Kyurem-B is so naturally strong already that even a Timid LO Fusion Bolt is damn near a 2HKO on Physically Defensive Celesteela, bar Leftovers.

ZUMO (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Defog / Iron Head
Last but not least we have the almighty, all-powerful Dragonite. It's another classic for Dragon teams that I've taken my own spin on, using a Jolly nature over Adamant just so that I can outspeed foes such as 263 speed Mew and Jolly Diggersby at the cost of some additional power. Additionally, I've taken the liberty of using Dragonite as my impromptu Defog user, in which clearing hazards on my side of the field can permit teammates such as Kommo-o to heavily damage foes without taking unnecessary chip damage. Iron Head can also be substituted over Defog to be used against Fairy-types such as Mega Diancie, as it can be a backup check to them if Garchomp does fall.

~Threatlist~

Fairy-types

Despite my best efforts to have this team counterplay Fairy teams as much as possible, a well played and preserved Fairy team can always pressure it. There's no solid check on Dragon teams to Mega Diancie's Moonblast, or to a lesser extent Mimikyu's Play Rough without forcing a sack. Additionally, Kommo-o is virtually useless in the Fairy matchup as they block it from utilizing its custom Z-move, Clangorous Soulblaze. In situations like this, try to keep Druddigon at full health to Glare Mega Diancie to minimize the damage, otherwise the best option is to bring in Garchomp on a sack to threaten it out.

Dragon-types

Surprisingly, this team doesn't exactly have the best counterplay towards itself either. The lack of a Mega Altaria and Choice Scarf Latios means that opposing Dragon teams with either foe or both are more likely to prevail in the ditto. That's not also mentioning that they also have access to Kyurem-B and Kommo-o that are so prominent against their own type. Choosing what to sack and what to save is no easy task, and in any case, will result in a bloodbath. Play this matchup wisely.

Taunt

This team doesn't necessarily struggle versus these individual Pokemon persay, but Druddigon will always struggle against Taunt users; its very low base speed makes it susceptible to other leads such as Aerodactyl and Tapu Koko, as well as stallbreakers such as Gliscor, Keldeo, and Mew. Druddigon being a predictable lead doesn't help its case either, as this particular set is hardly offensive, and being taunted forces it out causing this team to lose momentum and creates opportunities for the opponent to exploit it. That is, unless you have Mental Herb, but why would you use that on a frail lead?

~Importable~

Well uh, never thought I'd get this far. I'm not really super amazing with words and stuff so I'll just keep it short and sweet. I'd like to thank the Monotype community for being an absolute blast to be a part of; I've been around ya'll for literally the longest time (like, all the way back; like 2012 Frost) and its been real; hope to stick around for as much as I can before my crippling depression and facade of an actual life take me away from this game. There's also a ton of people I've met on my journey, and many more that I still have yet to meet, so I'd like to say thank you for putting up with my bs, whether it be in advance or not~

:psytear: #1kpost #worthit :psyglad:

plant based

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey!
I love the team names! Huge Denzel fan myself.

If you replaced a move on Chomp for Rocks, you would have a perfect spot for a cleric M-Altaria or any other mon that fits nicer than Druddigon. Even a wall Goodra or T-Spikes setter found in Dragalge. I recommend Dragalge as it helps with fairy teams alot. 'Galge also is a good starter pressure with its nice Sp. Def. and high enough Sp. Atk. to become a real threat if not taken out early.

Thats my two sense :)

Neat team Havens. You've come a long way from those Protective Pads Dragonite days, and I feel you've definitely earned a solid reputation since then. I got a couple comments for you, but of course, gratz on your 1k RMT!

As I'm sure you're aware, there are quite a few matchups this team will really struggle with. First is Normal. While you do have Kommo-o, Ditto has more HP than your Kommo-o does, and you also can't Clangorous Soulblaze safely with it threatening to block. This team doesn't have the tools to abuse Dragonite taking out Staraptor, since your team will be begging for Defog more than Normal will, and nothing else breaks Chansey. Second is obviously Fairy. Garchomp, while an interesting tech option, is completely walled by Clefable, and many Clefable are running Rocky Helmet these days to make matters worse. Mega Diancie and Mimikyu don't help matters offensively, but if you can't break Clefable, you can't really beat Fairy. Finally, the last main matchup here is Water. Specially defensive Swampert basically walls the whole team bar Dragonite, which is easily revenge killed if it ever dares to click Outrage. Not to mention Greninja spamming Ice Beam with Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes support because Dragonite will certainly have a hard time Defogging against the threat of Scald / Toxic Swampert and Toxapex doesn't care at all about Dragonite.

All that to say one thing really. What do I suggest? I think you should run Dragalge over Mega Latios. Before going into what Dragalge does for you, Mega Latios just doesn't fit on this team. Poison and Steel, the two matchups Mega Latios shines the most in, are covered by Kommo-o for free. Toxic Spikes support is everything your team needs to make these matchups at least manageable. For Normal, Staraptor can't Defog on Dragalge, Chansey is setup bait, and Ditto can't effectively stop Kommo-o if it's poisoned, with Toxic Spikes literally breaking Normal apart and making Dragonite way more effective. For Fairy, Dragalge gets Toxic Spikes against the whole team, and Fairy absolutely crumbles against Toxic Spikes, and Sludge Wave OHKOes the whole team except Klefki. It also covers your Clefable weakness and acts as third Mega Diancie check for you. Matchup is still hard but it becomes significantly more fair. For Water, Dragalge beats Toxapex 1v1, gets Toxic Spikes up vs most of the team except Greninja for fear of Groundium Z, and absorbs opposing Toxic Spikes for you. Yes you will have no Mega Evolution, but Dragon has never been more comfortable without its Mega Evolutions than now.

On Druddigon, I don't really understand what Earthquake helps with. Unfortunately, it just won't do much damage against anything relevant, and almost every Taunt user that will stay in to Taunt Druddigon doesn't care about Earthquake. I'd honestly rather just have Taunt of your own over Earthquake and admit you're Taunt fodder. While having no attacking move can feel really bad, if you actually think about it, you're really never in a position to click Earthquake against anyone competent anyway. In exchange, Druddigon becomes really damn annoying for teams where Stealth Rock is key. Taunt makes sure Toxapex can't get Toxic Spikes up for free against you, makes sure all Flying teams without Defog Gliscor + Defog Tornadus-T fail to keep Druddigon's Stealth Rock off, neuters Mega Sableye, blocks opposing Stealth Rock from walls, and makes those walls generally less threatening.

As an extra suggestion that I can see going both ways, I would consider running Substitute on Kyurem-B over Toxic. You have Mold Breaker Toxic Druddigon and Dragalge providing Toxic Spikes, so a third Toxic is a bit excessive (coming from me of all people!). Substitute really punishes Flying and Water, since neither type can really switch into Kyurem-B or mispredict against it. Substitute makes it much more difficult for them to revenge kill. This also lets Kyurem-B be that little bit more useful against Fairy, as both Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko become fairly free Substitute fodder, often being unable to do anything to Kyurem-B.

Hope that helps! The team is really cool and Dragon has a lot of room for innovation. I honestly probably would have been fine with you using this (maybe with some edits) in Exhibition, but I don't remember you bringing it up :S

Druddigon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Roost

Dragalge @ Poison Barb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic Spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)