XY OU Take Out Priority Hitters and Sweep

Introduction:
This team is unconventional and unorthodox, but I had tremendous success with it. It takes some experience to use effectively but I won a lot of OU tournaments with it.

Strategy: Since this team lacks walls and bulky pokemon, the objective is to win with sweepers (gyarados, smeargle+dragonite, cloyster). The main threats are priority hitters (scizor, conkeldurr, talonflame, mega-pinsir, dragonite, mega-medicham, cloyster, etc). and grass types (venusaur, breloom). It takes some good plays and strong foresight to take care of these threats. Most teams have 1-2 of them.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

My lead. Intimidate softens medicham, breloom, and landorus-therian. A lot of teams rely on ferrothorn as a counter to gyarados. Those teams are at a disadvantage against mine when I take out ferrothorn with magnezone.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Ice Shard

This cloyster inflicts a lot of damage on teams before it finally gets neutralized. The goal here is to cause enough damage to set up the ultimate sweep with smeargle and dragonite. This cloyster takes out 1 priority sweeper (or weakens it heavily enough).

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Takes out ferrothorn (a gyarados counter and spore-evader), bisharp (a priority hitter) & scizor (a priority hitter that neutralizes cloyster & smeargle). Also a short-term solution to fairies. Volt Switch can set up the sweepers if I pivot into the right pokemon.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Counter
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass

The team revolves around Smeargle baton-passing to Dragonite. Once the priority hitters are taken care of (or if there's only 1 priority hitter left, spore takes care of it.), this smeargle sets up like a breeze. Counter is there in case I don't need to resort to the Dragonite sweep and I feel comfortable using smeargle to take care of a physical hitter.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

I think of Latias as the rock that holds my team together. Defog to rid the field of stealth rock or spikes, which pretty much neutralize my focus sash holding threats. Draco Meteor does massive damage when my opponent's steel types are taken care off. Healing Wish rejuvenates a low-health gyarados or gives a damaged cloyster another chance to sweep.

Dragonite @ White Herb
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

I used a kyurem-black set before I decided that this would be a much better alternative... and it is! Multiscale ensures that this comes into play after baton pass... and with a shell smash boost and white herb to take care of the stat decreases... Dragonite sweeps! I decided to opt for thunder punch instead of fire punch since magnezone takes care of steel types, Earthquake OHKOs Heatran, Ironhead finishes fairies and Rock types, Outrage OHKOs everything else.

Here's a battle I had right after I made thisthread- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-168681989

My opponent is a 1500+ ladder player.

This team only loses against hax when used right.

Ex: Smeargle hangs on with focus sash against flamethrower but gets burnt and feints before it can baton pass or rock blast on cloyster misses.

Last edited:

hot gay man

Banned deucer.
cloyster is awful in this metagame (check viability ranking thread). you could try Mega Gyarados, since you dont have a mega evo lol
Counter is a very bad move on Smeargle. You would probably enjoy having moves such as Taunt or even Ingrain over it imo. Lastly I would reccomend you dclaw over outrage on dragonite since you wouldn't enjoy confusion. +2 dclaw still very strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)