Team Advent

Team Advent

Since Salamence was banned, I've found that I can actually build decent teams again. I have consider this team to be a great success. It suits my playing style and I've found it to be able to handle most threats successfully.

Team Building Process:

I started this team after reading the Smog's Lead Synergy Article. I always have trouble selecting leads so I though it would be easiest for me to pick one of those combinations. I've used a starmie lead a lot in the past, and I didn't like machamp cause I personally hate facing them, so the roserade + heatran combo was my best option.

It seems like all of the rage nowadays is fire/water/grass cores. I already had the fire and grass part, so I just had to decide on a water. Heatran and Roserade are both specially based, so a physical attacker would balance things out. I also wanted to keep the team on the offensive side. Gyarados has good synergy with these two, since it can switch in on the fighting or ground attacks aimed at heatran, and fire or ice moves directed at roserade.

Now I have a core of three pokemon with good synergy between all of them. They have no common weaknesses and together resist all types except for rock. This will probably cause a lot of switching for the opponent, so using something that could set up spikes could help to take advantage of ti and keep my opponent from gaining too much momentum. So I added arguably the best spiker in the game, Skarmory.

Skarmory also helps against stall teams, but if skarmory goes down I'm in trouble. I need something fast that can break stall and revenge kill a variety of threats. Infernape fits in well, since it can be a great mixed sweeper with priority moves to take down scarfed pokes, or pokemon with other priority moves.

My last pokemon was the most difficult to decide. I orginally had a choice banded flygon, which fit pretty well. It gave me a nice electric type immunity, and could sweep amazingly well late-game. However, it's low speed was its drawback and it left me open to things like Jolteon, Starmie, and Gengar, who would consistently sweep me. I switched it to a scarfgon but found its lack of power frustrating; it wasn't working out. Next I tried a Scarftar, but its moves didn't quite have the coverage I was looking for, and it was too easily revenge killed. I also didn't appreciate the sandstorm. So finally I settled on Jolteon. It's electric immunity (and opportunity for healing with Volt Absorb), and powerful STAB'd thunderbolt was just what I needed, and it could also help with Dragonites and Bulky Gyarados. Jolteon also makes a great partner to my own Gyarados.

So here is my team:

In Depth:

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice (previously ground)

Sludge Bomb hits Celebi and Shaymin for major damage. It also works decently to draw out any steel types, which Gyarados can often set up on. Sleep Powder is obvious, it disables the opponent's lead, and has uses late-game as well. Leaf Storm is extremely powerful and puts a serious dent into anything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power Ground helps against enemy heatran, but doesn't have much use otherwise. (I've replaced HP Ground with HP Ice to help against gliscor, and various threats later in the game.)

Roserade vs top 10 leads:
Azelf: Sleep Powder and switch to Heatran.
Metagross: Usually carry Occa berry, so Sleep Powder. If they do carry a Lum berry and attack on the first turn, I'll switch to Skarmory.
Aerodactyl: HP Ice for the 2hko, they usually taunt first turn.
Gliscor: HP ice for the ko.
Swampert: Usually I will Sleep Powder as they often switch.
Starmie: Immediate Leaf Storm for the KO. Scarfed Starmie's Ice Beam can't KO.
Jirachi: I use Sleep Powder and switch to Heatran.
Heatran: I use Sleep Powder and switch to Heatran.
Machamp: I always Leaf Storm as they Ice punch, and send in Gyarados to safely revenge it with Waterfall.
Hippowdon: See Swampert.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Heatran pairs extrememly well with Roserade and helps me take out most common leads. Nobody really expects the Shuca berry and it often buys me an extra turn to set up SR or get that last Fire Blast in for the KO. Shuca berry also means I come out on top against most opposing Heatran. Max speed and special attack allow me to effectively fake a Scarfed set most of the time.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt (Previously Earthquake)
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Gyarados is one of the most important members of my team. It acts as an efficient check to opposing Heatran and Lucario and can often sweep after just one Dragon Dance. I have elected to give my Gyarados a Jolly nature with 168 Speed EV'sto outspeed max speed Jolteon after a Dragon Dance. I have deemed this importance because Jolteon is fairly difficult for my team to handle, so giving gyarados these stats means it has one less counter. Maximum attack is obvious, and I put the rest of the EV's into HP to give my gyarados more bulk. (I've replaced Earthquake with Taunt to let me set up against more foes.)

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory's role on the team is to set up spikes and aid in weakening the opponents team enough for a sweep. Skarmory also gives me a check to things like Heracross, Scizor, Metagross, and Snorlax. While Skarmory's spikes and resistances are useful, I often find that Skarmory is my weakest link. It's often relegated to the role of status absorber, and doesn't always get the chance to shuffle the team around. I am considering more offensive replacements for Skarmory, and I am open to all suggestions.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
(+Spe, -SpD)
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Overheat
- Stone Edge

Infernape is an amazing wall breaker and is well suited for my team. Mach punch helps out with Dragon Dancing Tyranitars, Heatran, and SD Lucario. Close Combat destroys Blissey and Snorlax, while Overheat fries Celebi and Breloom. I originally had U-Turn in place of Stone Edge, but found I was horribly weak to specially defensive zapdos, so this helps a little.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Choice Specs Jolteon is a potent revenge killer and late-game sweeper. Thunderbolt demolishes anything that doesn't resist it, and With Shadow Ball and HP Ice it has decent coverage. In the beginning of the match, I am often very conservative with Jolteon - I won't throw thunderbolts around. I'm more likely to use Hidden Power Ice or Shadow Ball. I can't afford to let an electivire grab a boost, and Gliscor can give me some problems if it sets up a rock polish. I have found that I don't often use Baton Pass because I would usually prefer to damage the switch in immediately.

---

Threatlist:
Green: Easy to beat and usually not a problem if played correctly.
Orange: Annoying but can be beaten easy with some prediction.
Red: Problem pokemon, very hard to play around and requires great prediction.

*Credit for Threat List format goes to reyscarface.

~Offensive Threats~

Aerodactyl :

Leads: Roserade 2hko's it with HP ice, and it usually Taunts first turn.

Life Orb: Haven't seen any of these yet, but I've used it so I know what it's capable of. If roserade is still alive and at enough health it can sleep it, or use HP Ice to severely damage it. Infernape can finish it off with Mach Punch. I could also risk a speed tie with Jolteon.

Alakazam :

Lead: Never seen it, but put it to sleep and switch to Jolteon.

Sweeper: Jolteon or Roserade take care of it.

Azelf :

Leads: Put it to sleep and switch to Heatran.

LO Sweeper: Jolteon again, and Heatran walls it (I think)

Breloom :

Scarfed Lead: HP Ice has a small chance to KO. I could just put it to sleep.

SubPunch Lead: Put it to sleep, or try to KO with HP Ice..

Substitute: Jolteon can take it after it's sub is gone. Same with roserade. Gyarados Intimidates it and wins against seed bomb-less ones, but leech seed it annoying. Skarmory usually is put to sleep.

Dragonite :

Dragon Dance: Switch to Jolteon unless an Earthquake is apparent. KO with HP ice. Gyarados can intimidate it. Skarmory walls ones without fire punch (and even takes fire punches decently). Some variants apparently give me issues, although I haven't seen them yet lol.

Heal Bell + Dragon Dance: Skarmory walls it and WW's it away. Can be an issue if it's the last poke. Jolteon's HP ice KO's after SR.

Leads: HP Ice for the KO

Choice Band: Skarmory can take the Dragon attacks. Full health heatran can take 1 outrage and explode. Jolteon and Roserade can revenge with HP Ice. I most likely have to sacrifice something to take it down.

Dugtrio :

Choice: Nape Can at least mach punch it. Jolteon's shadow ball is probably a 2hko. Heatran has shuca but I don't think it would save it against a banded, stab'd EQ.

Electivire :

Sweeper: Big problem if it gets a boost, 1 pokemon is likely going down. Since the only way it can get the boost is Jolteon, I would have to switch out, and whoever I switch to is probably toast. Roserade can revenge it with Leaf Storm. Jolteon does around 45-54% with Shadow Ball. Infernape does 38-45% with mach punch. Without the Motor Drive boost, infernape easily KO's it.

Empoleon :

Lead: Leaf Storm has a good chance to 2hko. Meanwhile, Ice beam + Aqua Jet is unlikely to KO.

SubPetaya: Roserade outspeeds and KO's. Infernape KO's with mach punch. Gyarados can survive at least one hit and waterfall does 22.4% - 26.3%. Jolteon has a good chance to survive a surf without SR and ko back. Skarmory can WW it away.

Tank:

Flygon :

Choice: Gyarados can set up on it. Jolteon can hit it on a predicted switch or baton pass away. Roserade outspeeds and KO's with HP ice. Skarmory can also set up on it.

Gengar :

Sub Split: Pretty annoying. Jolteon takes care of it with shadow ball once it's sub is gone. Roserade can break its sub with HP ice.

Life Orb: Something is probably going down, but Jolteon easily revenges it.

Gyarados :

LO Dragon Dance: Gyarados can intimidate it. Skarmory can WW it away. Jolteon can revenge it at +1 unless it's Jolly. Roserade can revenge it/put it to sleep. Its most likely to switch in on Heatran, who can just explode on it. As long as it doesn't get 2 dragon dances, I'm fine.

Taunt Dragon Dance: Dangerous, but thankfully usualy slower so Jolteon can revenge.

RestTalker: Not a threat. Jolteon easily KO's, so does Roserade, Gyarados intimidates and can Stone Edge it, Skarmory sets up on it.

Heatran :

Choice Scarf: Gyarados can take anything except an explosion or HP electric. Jolteon handles HP electric. Heatran can get a nice flash fire boost from a fire blast.

Choice Specs: Same as scarf. Heatran takes Fire Blast, Gyarados or Skarm set up on Earth power. Skarm sets up on Dragon Pulse, or my own heatran can earth power it.

Life Orb: Kind of annoying, but I can usually play around it. My first switch in to any heatran is usually gyarados, but if I find that it's a LO heatran, I'll usually switch again to Jolteon to take an HP electric if they have it. If they don't they'd probably switch out anyway since they wouldnt be able to handle gyarados.

Torment: Really annoying, but gyarados and Infernape easily handle it. But I still hate it lol.

Heracross :

Choice: Not a huge problem, but stone edge hurts my team a lot.

Infernape :

Mixape: Gyarados is my first switch into any nape. It has no problem with mixape. Jolteon and my own infernape can also revenge it.

Choiced: Scarf isn't fun, I just have to keep gyarados alive. If gyarados goes down I have to get it to use close combat 1 time in order to take it down with infernape.
Lead: Put it to sleep and switch to gyarados.

Nasty Plot/Swords Dance: Swords dance is only a thread if it has stone edge, otherwise gyarados handles it. If it has stone edge, it's less likely to have priority, so Jolteon can revenge it. The Nasty Plot set it much rarer now.

Jirachi :

Scarf: Gyarados, Heatran, and Skarmory can all take iron heads, fire punch, and ice punch.
Body Slam: Skarmory still walls it and doesn't mind paralysis. Roserade can put it to sleep. Infernape can ko with overheat. Jolteon can hurt it pretty badly.

Calm Mind: Infernape and heatran can still damage it pretty badly. Roserade can put it to sleep. Skarmory can WW it away before it gets to powerful. I don't have a lot of options.

Jolteon :

Choice Specs: Jolteon can freely switch into thunderbolt, Heatran can switch into everything else.

Life Orb: More of a problem. Usually something will take heavy damage before I can knock it out.

Kingdra :

Lum/Chesto Dragon Dance: Roserade can put it to sleep or at least take away its berry. It can also 2hko with leaf storm. Skarmory can WW it away, and Gyarados can Intimidate it. Heatran can explode on it. The main problem is I usually won't realize it has a berry until it's to late and it's already rested.

Rain Dance: Roserade still outspeeds and KO's/puts it to sleep. Gyarados can bait it into using DM.

Lucario :

Swords Dance: Only a problem if it has stone edge. Otherwise, gyarados takes care of it. The only chance it gets to set up is with Roserade or Jolteon.
Machamp:

Sub + 3 attacks: Annoying but manageable. Roserade does a ton with leaf storm. Thankfully most of my team outspeeds it. But something will take a lot of damage if it sets up a sub.

Lead: Roserade Leaf Storms then goes down. Send in gyarados to revenge. Even 5-5, and their gyarados counter is revealed. .
Magnezone :

Choice Scarf: Skarm goes down. If it uses Thunberbolt, Jolteon comes in. If it uses HP fire, heatran comes in.

Substitute: Infernape beats it.

Mamoswine :

Lead: Usually I'll just Leaf Storm and do enough to revenge it.

LO Sweeper: Infernape easily KO's it. Skarm can wall it. Gyarados takes a lot from stone edge, but can at least intimidate it.

Metagross :

Lead: Usually I can just put it to sleep and switch in Skarm.

Tank: Infernape ohko's. Skarmory walls. Gyarados can set up on most.

AgiliGross: EQ + MM + Thunderpunch is a huge problem. If I can, I WW it away with Skarm. Thankfully it doesn't get a ton of opportunities to set up.

Porygon-Z :

Choiced / Generic Sweeper: Infernape handes non scarfed ones. Choiced ones are played around.

Rhyperior :

Sub: Infernape easily handes it. Gyarados, roserade, andskarmory also do well.

Trick Room: Skarmory, I guess. Never seen this.
Scizor :

Choice Band: Gyarados and Skarmory wall it. Infernape and Heatran can ohko.

Swords Dance: Harder to wall, but I usually WW it away.

Starmie :

Defensive: Roserade handles it.

Life Orb: Always a threat but as long as I can predict it, I'm fine. Roserade can come in on surfs or thunderbolts and ohko with leaf storm. Heatran can take an ice beam and draw a surf for 'rade. Gyarados draws thunderbolts for Jolteon.

Togekiss :

ParaFlinch: Jolteon can come in on thunderwave. Usually I'll send in Skarm to take the thunderwave and just WW it away until later.

Nasty Plot: Same as above, roserade can sleep it or hurt it badly, Skarm ww's it away, jolt ko's.

Tyranitar :

Choice Band: Stone edge kills my team. Hopefully it won't use that. Infernape still revenge kills.

Choice Scarf: Even bigger stone edge problem. Roserade still outspeeds and KO's.

Dragon Dance: More stone edge ahh! Still roserade.

TyraniBoah: Infernape or roserade. Not really a problem.

Weavile :

Sweeper: Gyarados walls it. Infernape can take it out with mach punch. Jolteon and roserade can also outspeed but roserade fears ice shard.

Yanmega :

Sweeper: No problem for gyarados or skarmory. Jolteon also handles it pretty well.

~Defensive Threats~​

Blissey:

Wall: Heatran can explode. Gyarados can kill it if it has to, but doesn't like status. Skarmory sets up on it. Infernape demolishes it.

Bronzong :

Wall: Nothing really has a problem damaging this, and it doesn't have recovery.

Celebi :

Wall: Heatran, Infernape, Skarmory, and Jolteon have no problems with it.

Life Orb Tinkerbell: Same as above although thunder wave is kindof annoying, I just have to be careful switching in.

Cresselia :

Wall: Jolteon takes it out with shadow ball. Roserade puts it to sleep. Skarmory WW's set up versions. Gyarados can taunt it.
Donphan :

Wall: Spin is annoying, but Jolteon can threaten it with HP Ice, gyarados can set up, and roserade can sleep or KO it.

Forretress :

Standard: Infernape and Heatran OHKO it. Jolteon does a good amount of damage. Roserade can sleep on it.

Gliscor:

Stall-breaker: Roserade or Jolteon can hit it with HP ice. Infernape does a lot with Overheat, Heatran does a lot with fire blast.

Baton Pass: Same as above but much much more dangerous.

Hippowdon :

Wall: Skarmory sets up. Jolteon 2hko's, Gyarados can set up, Roserade ohko's.

Skarmory :

Standard: No problem. My own Skarmory can set up. Jolteon, Heatran, and Gyarados can switch in. Gyarados can set up. Infernape can KO. Roserade can sleep.

Snorlax :

Curse: Skarmory can WW it away/set up. Infernape can KO it easily. Gyarados can taunt and set up on some versions.

Suicune:

CroCune: Gyarados if I can get it in early enough. Roserade and Jolteon do tons. Skarmory can WW it.

LO/Leftovers CM: Jolteon or Roserade.

Swampert :

Standard: Roserade. Skarmory can phaze it out and build up spikes damage. Gyarados can set up. Usually I have to chip away at it a little at a time.

CursePert: Same as above.

Tentacruel :

Wall: Jolteon.

Vaporeon :

Wall: Jolteon or Roserade. Gyarados can set up on ones with Toxic.

Zapdos:

Generic Wall: Big problem. Working on it.

SubToxic: Roserade and Jolteon wall it decently but can't do a lot back to it.
Life Orb: Heatran does a lot with Fire blast and Roserade or Jolteon can finish it off.

If anyone has any advice or criticism, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.​

Hi all4game,

I'm actually very pleased with how you've built this team. A good mix of variety thrown in, along with good offensive synergy.

Therefore, I only have minor suggestions for your team as it stands currently. You've got most major threats covered, so I don't see any glaring weaknesses.

On Roserade, try out Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Ground. Opposing Heatran commonly carry Shuca Berry, and Sleep Powder deals with them quite well. Using Ice will allow to hit Dragonite, and even revenge kill it if it nets a Dragon Dance.

On Infernape, try out U-Turn over Stone Edge. Some of the best checks to Infernape include Gengar and Starmie. Gengar in particular, with its Sub Pain Split set, can cause some problems for your team. Using U-Turn will allow you to scout for Infernape's counters, abuse the spikes support provided by Skarmory, and allow you to bring in another Pokemon to deal with the threat. A few examples:

Gengar - switches in on an expected Close Combat, but you U-Turn out of it into Jolteon, which threatens to OHKO with Thunderbolt.

Starmie - Takes huge damage from U-Turn (Life Orb set = 74.3% - 88.1%), then allows you to switch in either Roserade or Jolteon to finish it off.

Gyarados - U-turned out of, then threatened with Jolteon.

Suicune - U-Turn, Roserade or Jolteon.

Vaporeon - Same as above.

All in all, I'd have to say this team is far above average. Good job.

Good luck with your team!

Thanks. I was actually going to mention that I was considering changing HP Ground to Ice but I guess I forgot.

And for Infernape, I orginally had U-Turn instead of stone edge until I got torn apart by a specially defensive zapdos. I don't think I have much of a choice, I have to leave Stone edge.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi.

Your team has some problems with a few setup sweepers, notably Stone Edge Lucario, Jolly or Extremespeed versions of DD Dragonite, and Jolly Taunt DD Gyarados. Firstly I would like to say that I agree with the above rater that you should put HP ice over HP Ground on Roserade. It hits DD Nite hard, but also helps you take out lead Gliscor. Given that you have a spiker but no spinblocker, a scarf Rotom-W may be advisable, as it can easily revenge-kill all versions of DD Gyarados and SD lucario. Having a decent check to Stone Edge Lucario allows you potentially run U-turn on Infernape over Mach Punch (which only does around 70-80% to Lucario by the way, meaning that you likely need 3 rounds of LO recoil or a CC drop to KO). Rotom could easily fit over Jolteon, though of course packs a much reduced offensive presence.

Alternatively you could look to replace Skarm with something that better checks Dragonite and Gyarados, such as Scarf Flygon.

I would suggest Taunt over EQ on Gyarados. Given how weak his attacks are likely to be with Jolly and no LO, it is important that you cannot be easily phazed or crippled by the likes of Skarmory, Swampert, and Celebi. Waterfall + Stone Edge already has near-perfect neutral coverage so there are few issues there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help.
I have yet to see a stone edge lucario. They almost all have crunch now, it seems. However, I will consider your ideas.

I will definitely switch to HP Ice on Roserade to help with dragonite and lead gliscor.
However I don't think I will switch out Jolteon for rotom. I am not a big rotom fan, and I also use this tteam on wifi so I want to stick to 'legal' pokes that I don't need AR for.

I will test out some replacements for skarmory, and I'll test taunt on gyarados, although I like the ability to take out jolteon.

Thank you.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will test out some replacements for skarmory, and I'll test taunt on gyarados, although I like the ability to take out jolteon
+1 Waterfall vs Specs Jolteon: 106.3% - 125.5%. EQ will only come in handy against things like Metagross, Jirachi, Tentacruel and Empoleon.

I've switched to Taunt on Gyarados and Hidden Power Ice on Roserade. Hidden Power Ice is great, and definitely helpful against gliscors, dragonites, and flygons.

Taunt on Gyarados is less helpful, in my opinion. Or maybe I've just been seeing more jirachi's with thunder punch. I'll keep testing it out.

I'm also going to try a wide variety of replacements for Skarmory, like Cresselia, Blissey, Celebi, Scarfgon, and Starmie.

I'm hoping to find something that can help with my weaknesses to the things jc101 stated, as well as specially defensive zapdos. Hopefully that's not impossible. xD

spikes and stealth rocks are the two main moves on 2 pokemon , it would suck to see your hard work spinned away. Your "offensive power" needs rocks/ spikes up to perform 110%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)