ORAS OU The Bird and the Cat (+) 1700 Rating

Hello,
its me 10th Squad Toshiro and I´m here to show you guys my favorite team in oras ou.
I´ve done a rmt like this once before in early oras (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/true-balance.3526738/) wich is kind of outdated but you can still check it out if you want^^

At the moment I have 2 accounts over 1700 rating (10th Squad Toshiro & 10th Squad Captain) and a big part of the laddering has been done with the team I am going to show you.

First off, let me tell you this is not an ordinary team. There is a defensive core with a bunch of trapper and two choiced monster.
But trust me it will all make sense in the end ~

EDIT: Proof I broke 1700 (requested) http://puu.sh/iztDt/78b018deae.jpg

MVP (Talonflame) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 88 SpA / 168 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Alright alright, dont leave guys I promise I can explain this!

So this Bird, this GOD LORD OP BIRD is the reason this Team exists. It is a Talonflame designed to have nothing that appreciates switching into it. This goal will be archieved by the combination of its original moves + u-turn into one of the following trapper.

168 Speed and a +Speed Nature let it outspeed anything relevant bar jolteon that it has to land a flare blitz on instead of a brave bird (Raikou, Thundy) 252 atk investment let it hit as hard as possible while the last 88 ev´s are used into spA to hit gliscor lando-t and garchomp harder.

(88 SpA Talonflame Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 180-216 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery)
(
88 SpA Talonflame Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 192-228 (54.2 - 64.4%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal)
(88 SpA Talonflame Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 176-208 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

Deez Nuts (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Dugtrio´s main job is to beat the sh*t out of heatran. Besides that it traps magnezone, raikou, t-tar, excadrill, bisharp, chansey, jirachi, manectric.
It also carries the rocks of the team and doesnt ever lose momentum cuz it got memento :p

Stall Pls (Gothitelle) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 32 HP / 16 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Traps Quagsire, Venusaur (you will see why this is relevant), Alomomola, Slowbro, Starmie, Rotom-W, Hippodown, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, Tentacruel, some other stuff.
EV Spread is to be able to switch into a lopunny fake out + take a return 100% while ohko´ing back.
Feel free to cripple stall tricking your specs but keep in mind this is not the anti stall gothitelle set.

Status he saidXD (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock

Tons of damage also your only reliable check to mega char Y wich destroys your defensive core. Destroys Garchomp. Destroys Sableye. Checks a lot of SpA stuff, duggy traps heatran for this thing, also u can pivot with baton pass.

Shotgun (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Pretty Reliable defogger, part of your defensive core, duggy and gothi both remove a lot of counters/checks mzor has. EV´s let it reliably switch into joey´s dracos while still maintaining physical bulk

Woman´s Duty (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Other Part of your defensive core, we all know what rotom-w does. Only thing I changed was droping the 44 Speed ev´s it needs to counter every azu there is because most azus get discouragating of running speed just because of the existance of speedy rotoms. Full defense lets u take on some threats better.

Last edited:
Interesting team yo!

*You may want to add more details to your team [descriptions of your moveset], or else it will be locked by a moderator. Now onto the rate itself.

I do see what you're going for on the Talonflame set here. It is interesting, but I would just try the standard Revenge Kill set:

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing / Tailwind

While the concept is nice, all of the mons you just put up would either status of OHKO you (Gliscor = Toxic / Stone Edge | Garchomp = Stone edge / Rock Slide | Lando = Rock Slide)

Dugtrio is cool and all. No offense towards it. But I just think Gliscor would be a better option. It packs the nice utility, a sense of recovery and more natural bulk!

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
Taunt is for Skarm, as it doesn't allow it to use Defog to get the hazards off the field.

Awesome team dude! I do have one request, may we have Proof of Peak [just a screenshot proving that you broke 1700+]? Good luck in your future battles!

Hey Niitro, thank you for your quick reply.

I know the talonflame set seems strange at first but it isnt really strange if you think about it. The standart banded Talonflame set would run 88 hp because it doesnt need more speed (however it does need jolly for raikou and adamant with 252 speed is not enough) so these ev´s are just put into spA instead of hp. Also I dont think you understood the purpose of hp ice. Talonflame is by no means a gliscor/lando-t/garchomp check HOWEVER 2 of them can not switch into talonflame because they would get straight out 2hko´d and garchomp takes around 45%. HP ice is not exactly necesarry, you can feel free to run tailwind/WoW/Steel Wing as your 4th move if you want and let sylveon/gothi/rotom deal with those, but I think its a very viable option. However please dont invest any more in speed and dont use an adamant nature unless you think you can outplay raikou so hard with dugtrio that you dont even need the potential outspeed.

I also added the proof you asked for.

Btw, what do you mean explain this sets more detailed, basically everybody who plays ou knows what a rotom or a scizor does >.>

EDIT: There is now way gliscor can replace dugtrio talonflame will surprise heatran with u-turn only 1 time and thats your time to shine by trapping it you dont have time to play around.

Oh and the logic why dugtrio and specs gothi are viable on this team is as following: If your opponent has tflame/sylveon counters/checks then dugtrio and gothitelle are worth more then 1 mon of your opponents. If your opponent doesnt have any of those then tflame/sylveon are just gonna win the game for you

Awesome team I am blown away!
Just imported it, changed Nicknames (although Shotgun is amazing) and turned that ugly shiny Talonflame to normal :D
The team works perfectly fine, although i feel bad for my opponent when bringing Gothitelle and Dugtrio at once.
I haven't lost a single game yet, lets see how it goes from here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)