VGC The Fairytale Core: A Mega Metagross team

Well, this team was made by me and Kamikaze Gallade, so i hope you like it n_n.

Wanted to try the Mega Metagross+Hydreigon core. The offensive and defensive synergy they have is just too good.

Sylveon was the fairy we chose for the DFS core we tried to made. Hyper Voice from Sylveon hits really hard, and it has one of the best type coverages in the metagame.

Heat Wave and Earthquake (sometimes even Blizzard) could hurt the team really hard, so we decided to use a Wide Guard user. Conkeldurr's bulk and power could fit the role perfectly.

We still needed a Fire-Type check, and something that could hit Landorus-T and Salamence hard. Suicune took that Team Slot, as well as providing nice Tailwind support.

We added Heatran as the last slot. We added it to take care of opposing Heatran, and take Fire-Type hits as well. It also checks Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, which otherwise would cause big trouble
to our team

Heatran has retired for the team for some reasons. First, it made our EQ weakness and fighting weakness even worse, so i was forced to play around these mons. Second, the team can't break through bulky water types like Rotom-W and specially Suicune. Thus, a Fire type Pokémon, inmune to Earthquake, and able to deal with most bulky water types was needed. Rotom-H matches this description perfectly, so i decided to make it enter on the team.

Well, for the Team Members (Kami came up with most of the nicks, blame him if they suck, js :P):

PredictMe (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 132 HP / 48 Atk / 20 Def / 120 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Substitute avoids Sucker Punch, Intimidate and Status Conditions that could cripple Mega Metagross. Iron Head is a really powerful STAB move, that also has that 30% chance to flinch. Zen Headbutt is its Psychic STAB move, which allows it to pick KOs on some common mons weak to Psychic-Type moves (Mega Venusaur, Virizion, Breloom, Gengar, etc). Protect is staple. EVs are made to outspeed neutral nature base 100 speed after Mega Evolving, resist Heatran's Heat Wave (even single-target ones lol) and KO Standard Sylveon with Iron Head.

Apocalpyse (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Hydreigon provides the coverage i need to support Mega Metagross. Draco Meteor hits like a truck, having 130 BP and STAB. Dark Pulse is its secondary STAB, providing some good chance of flinching as well. It also hits Aegislash super effectively, which otherwise walls Mega Metagross. Earth Power handles Heatran and Bisharp, another mons that walls Mega Metagross. 12 HP is a LO number, so Hydreigon will take less recoil from it.

FleshRibbons (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA / 36 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

Sylveon goal is to hit everything that it can hit hard. Hyper Voice is his main STAB move, which hits almost everything on the metagame hard. Shadow Ball and Psyshock serves me as coverage, hitting Ghost and Poison types super effectively. Moonblast is the 4th move, made to bypass Wide Guard and still KO Pokémon that are weak to fairy. Pretty generic EV spread, survives Jolly Kangaskhan's Return.

NorthWindIncoming / CatchThisESpeed (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Scald

Aaron Zheng's Suicune. Tailwind allows our mons to outspeed relevant threats with Hydreigon and Mega Metagross. Scald being its only STAB move, meant to hit stuff and get burns on other relevant threats. Ice Beam is for Grass-Types, Landorus, Garchomp and Salamence.

ChineseBunMexican (Conkeldurr) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 204 HP / 44 Atk / 140 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

We finally get into Conkeldurr. Drain Punch is its main STAB, letting it get recovery back when hits. Mach Punch gives it priority so it can KO other mons that are faster than it before they even move. Ice Punch hits the obviously-so-common Landoge and also hits a lot of flying types super effectively. Wide Guard support blocks a lot of incoming Wide Range attacks and allow our mons to stay in the field 1 more turn. The older EV spread was made by kami unnefficient, so i had to change it. When playing around the numbers, i realised Fatum's Winter Conkeldurr (Meistergriff) EV spread was exactly what i was looking for. Since it was an AV conk ev spread, i obviously had to play with the numbers. Has 6.3% chance of being OHKO by Jolly Talonflame's Brave Bird, and is 3HKO'd by most bulky Thundurus with Thunderbolt. It also 2HKO's most bulky Thundurus variants, which is very nice.

**Retired ;n;**

LavaCrawler (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Heatran goal is to handle Bisharp and Aegislash. Heat Wave, main STAB, 95 BP, Wide Range move, hits hard. Flash Cannon hits Fairy types super effectively, and is a solid STAB move that can be used if we don't want to risk Heat Wave miss. Earth Power provides coverage against other Heatran, so it can handle it without being forced to switch. Shuca Berry 1v1s other Heatran.

RIP LavaCrawler, we'll never forget u ;;.

NEW MEMBER!!!

Kami's Oven (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 36 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

This thing is becoming quickly the MVP of the team. Just look at it. Is a Rotom-H. Deals with a lot of Water types, its Overheat hits everything really hard. Amoonguss? What is Amoonguss? Safety Goggles make it check grass types even better. Speed outspeeds base 70, crucial against Bisharp's match-ups. Idk what the other EVs do offensively and defensively...yet.

This team has succeded with and without the improvement, thing that i found nice. I'll give you replays with Kami's Oven pretty soon.

Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

LavaCrawler (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

NorthWindIncoming (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Scald

ChineseBunMexican (Conkeldurr) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

CatchThisESpeed (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Scald

ChineseBunMexican (Conkeldurr) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 204 HP / 44 Atk / 140 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Kami's Oven (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 36 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
You seem pretty weak to kanga+washtom, especially if your opp has a tflame or lando t in the back. I've always seen non av conk as unreliable, but it looks like you need wide guard, so it might just be a personal bias. I honestly can't think of something to help without a mon change, but you could try outdamaging with conk+sylv or predicting with megagross subs if you see that lead.

You seem pretty weak to kanga+washtom, especially if your opp has a tflame or lando t in the back. I've always seen non av conk as unreliable, but it looks like you need wide guard, so it might just be a personal bias. I honestly can't think of something to help without a mon change, but you could try outdamaging with conk+sylv or predicting with megagross subs if you see that lead.
Yeah, you're right :P. The thing is, the only Wide Guard user that checks Kangaskhan is Aegislash, and having triple steel type on a team isn't a really good idea. I might replace Heatran with another mon (preferably something that can handle Amoonguss and Grass Types in general) and put Aegislash. I had so far 2 matches that i lost to Specs Rotom-W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)