The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I havent been here in a while, just checking up for rate my lifts and some advice... Ive been stalled on deadlift for about 2 weeks. I do Rippletoe's starting strength, with pullups over cleans (not confident on doing those by myself).

I'm 5'9'' and 155 lbs

Squats: 225 3x5
Overhead Press: 100 3x5
Bench: I do barbells in each hand (for improving stability), 65's in each, 3x10
Deadlift: 280 1x5

I tried 285 but couldnt get my back all the way through more than once. I think my form is good, my back is straight and all, but I haven't been able to move up much. Advice?

Oh yeah, I'm playing soccer now, I'm lifting for my main sport track in the spring... im a sprinter

put on some more weight

also, If you're having trouble with the lockout on the deadlift, working your upper back hard might help with that. Heavy dumbbell rows. Admittedly I have just heard this said by people, although they are some crazy strong guys so I tend to listen to them (Wendler, Kroczaleski). Also I don't deadlift so take my advice with a grain of salt.

cross country is officially over. i rested and was able to run again eventually but without proper training I never really did well.
I'm currently in cross country. It is pretty tough, but I enjoy it. Nice to see another runner around here. :)

Weightlifting is a good side to running. Our team doesn't do anything too heavy, but the combo keeps you in shape pretty well.

I love running. cross country isn't my season though, my system is too fast-twitch. I keep up with sprinters, but distance runners not so much.

well I'm turning into a 400/800 guy this outdoor track season, so I'm gonna have to start lifting super heavy to get some power into my legs.

also, those of you who have spare time, check out my new blog

http://the800mwinger.xanga.com/

I figure if people can always see how my training is going, it will motivate me to produce results.

hahaha 800mwinger <33333

i will be all over this i can guarantee you that

---

@cbshuckle have you done a deload? drop 10% (or 20% if you wanna hard deload) and work your way up again? that's a good way to get through a plateau. otherwise idk man i'll look around for you though!!

ALSO after my bench / row workout on wednesday i also did 3xf pushups and holy shit my arms were sore through today o_O i think i'm gonna keep doing that after those workouts. i think it used to be part of SL (i remembered it from somewhere) and i don't feel like it hindered anything from my B day workout so what've i got to lose? haha it'll be fun probably

S_I, how's your BB bench weight vs. your BB row weight? I ask because up until a few weeks ago I had never done BB row, so mine is currently only 155 lbs 4x5 compared to 215 4x5 for Bench. Of course I've been making progress on my row way faster compared to bench just because I've been doing bench for way longer, but w/e. 155 lbs is for both Underhand and Overhand BB row, although the weight seems easier for underhand than overhand.

also cbshuckle you're 1 inch taller than me and about 35 lbs lighter than me, I really suggest putting on some weight. EAT SOME FOOD, SON

Alright, deloading seems like a good idea, I'll drop down to 260 or something. as for gaining weight, I do eat a lot, but I'm wondering what a "perfect weight", if there is such a thing, for a 5'9'' sprinter would be, because there definitely is a limit where excessive muscle is simply a hindrance when trying to work as fast as possible.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Honestly, nobody will be able to tell you at what weight is the best for you in your situation. You will determine where you feel your best yourself. And yeah, trying to have muscle and be a runner doesn't really go well.

So the Baltimore Team Relay when FANTASTIC. I flat out destroyed my 46 minute goal and got about 42:30 for about 7 miles, which would put me at around 6:05 to 6:10 minute miles! If you look at the elevation chart, its obvious the course played a lot into my time (I ran between 5.8 and 12.8) and the weather really helped as well (high 50s/low 60s with a nice breeze). Regardless, I'm still very pleased considering it was my first race not in high school, my first race over a 5K, and that I didn't train as much as I wanted the last two weeks before the race.

The rest of my team (The Flying Jackalopes) did great. We came in 9th out of ~950 relays and 8 out of 126 for all male relays (we lost to one mixed relay). The other members of my team are slower than me, but they all did very well given the goals they made. Our combined time was 3:01, which is pretty cool since we would qualify for Boston if we could somehow combine into one runner.

I really noticed how 'relaxed' the atmosphere was compared to school races. Everyone was very nice and, for a lack of a better word, goofy (e.g. drawing mario kart boost zones on the ground, carrying batons for the entire relay, etc.)

Overall, a pretty awesome day.

hahaha good stuff Eddie! the goofiness reminds me of cross country. there's a sort of camaraderie there that isn't quite present in track-exclusive runners

S_I, how's your BB bench weight vs. your BB row weight? I ask because up until a few weeks ago I had never done BB row, so mine is currently only 155 lbs 4x5 compared to 215 4x5 for Bench. Of course I've been making progress on my row way faster compared to bench just because I've been doing bench for way longer, but w/e. 155 lbs is for both Underhand and Overhand BB row, although the weight seems easier for underhand than overhand.

also cbshuckle you're 1 inch taller than me and about 35 lbs lighter than me, I really suggest putting on some weight. EAT SOME FOOD, SON
before i stopped i was at 160 bench 5x5 versus 125 bbr 5x5. i had been stuck at 125 for a long time until right before i stopped, when i had finally learned better technique. i think it'll be relatively even now, though. most people i've followed are pretty close to even, but i've heard that OHP stalls first, then rows; both quickly. so i guess i'll find out.

my reset stats were 115 squat / 95 bench / 95 row / 70 OHP / 160 DL

starting pretty low because i don't want to stall until after christmas at least!!

(actually starting so low on bench because i'm scared that i only did so well before out of sheer will and that this time i wont even make it to 135 before stalling out of pure fear ._.)

@Stathakis
Thanks man. School's been a bit busy so I haven't been stalking you keeping up with your progress. Sucks that cross country didn't go so hot, especially when you were starting to get back in shape. I never gave you any advice on running, but I really can't talk now that you shifted to middle-distance. I do know that 2:06 to sub-2 is quite a leap, but its certainly possible with all the work you are/have been doing.

This will sound really corny, but you remind me of a faster me. My senior year I was pretty much an average distance track runner with a 5:00 minute mile. Then my final two races I brought it down to 4:45. I know that isn't 'great,' but the fact that it came out of nowhere really surprised me and told me I could still improve. Then I was like "Man, if I only had one more year and really worked over the summer, I could definitely get that to at least 4:35 or maybe even sub 4:30 (probably not that good, but just roll with me here)." So when I see you saying that you're running these great times without a proper 'pacer,' it just gets me thinking "It's too late for me, but not for you!!" lol

Also, a humorous anecdote slightly comparable to your bulldozing field situation. After snow-pocalypse, our entire field and turf were covered in snow. My coach goes up to the athletic director at the beginning of the day and says "Can you take care of the snow?" Our athletic director, who hated our xc/track team for some reason, says "he'll take care of it." When practice comes around, we go outside and all the snow has been taken off the field and SHOVED ONTO THE TRACK. This way lacrosse can still play. Needless to say our coach was furious and was pretty much all "fgskjdgfiaghsdfoagjsdfhaksjdfhk" at the director. Moral of the story: some people have no idea how insensitive/obnoxious they are to others...

tl;dr Keep Doing Work!

man, I think I'm a distance guy at heart (i.e. I identify with them, have all the strange mannerisms, wear the short shorts) but I honestly feel like I'm wasting my time with it sometimes. let me compare some of my most notable speed workouts and my best endurance workouts.

speed:

3x3x200, 150m walk between reps, 10 min standing rest between sets. times were 25, 30, 30, 25, 28, 23, 25, 28, 27

5x300, full (10 min+ standing) rest between reps. times were 36, 37, 36, 36, 35

4x90 seconds hard, 3 min standing (read: laying down with eyes rolling back in head) rest. distances covered were 550m, 570m, 550m, 660m.

distance:

4xmile, 3 min rest between reps. times were 5:29, 5:24, 5:25, 5:19

4 mile tempo, average pace 5:52

^plenty of variants of the above, slightly slower

the distance work is average at best. that 4xmile workout indicate maybe 17:10 shape, and the 4 mile tempo doesn't indicate much of anything really, since it's pretty slow.

the sprints, however, are amazing. hitting 25s for a 200 multiple times, hitting 23s in itself is amazing. it only gets better with the 300m workouts, as 300m in 36s is 75% of the way to a 48 second 400m. I was able to do five of them, and on all of them except maybe the last I felt like I could keep going for 100 more meters.

but the real mama of speed workouts is the 90 second sprints. I have it all written down in pretty bad handwriting because I didn't want to forget. it was cross country season, october 2010. I had run decently fast the morning of (5 miles at sub-7 pace is what the diary reads, so faster than your average distance day). in the afternoon coach told us the workout was going to be 90 second runs at hard-to-very-hard effort. we were scheduled to do 8 of them. I did the first one in what I thought was a pretty aggressive 65sec 400m pace or so. coach didn't like it. said he wanted it faster. so I ran it faster the second time. it didn't feel good faster, so I "backed off" (I put backed off in quotes because I was running ridiculously fast for my fitness). coach then told me I was bullcrapping, and he didn't like it. something struck a chord there, because of all the things he has ever said to me, I thought he had no right to tell me about how hard I was working. so I ran the last one 100% all out. I covered 660 meters. 660m in 90 seconds leaves me to leg out 140m in 29 seconds to run a sub-2 800 in a race. more likely, I'd have gone it in 25 seconds, which is like 70 seconds per 400 a.k.a. much slower than i had been going. that'd have been good for a 1:55 800m. at the time, I had not yet broken 2:10 (though, it had also been maybe 5 months since I raced at 800m and I was a completely different runner from when I set my at-the-time 800m pr). when coach blew the whistle indicating to stop running, I just collapsed. I remember the pain so clearly. my head had that pounding that you get from interval training, and my legs were very clearly hurting, not just limp or weak. my whole body was heavy. I didn't get up. the coach had to come pick me up off the track and feed me water. when I asked if that was working hard enough, he chuckled and said "almost. but it'll do for today." so just like that, the workout was cut short. I don't think I could have done a 90 second slow jog until maybe an hour later.

I live for those kinds of workouts. the ones that take you so deep into the well that you stop seeing the light at the top. where the pain makes you cry, and you don't get up off the track. i've only had three of them, and the other two were during my 8th grade year, where we were doing 12x400 in 80 seconds both times it happened. but I wasn't fit back then. I haven't been able to muster up the strength to run like I ran that day doing the 90 second runs.

still, I think it's only a matter of time before I do it in a race, and when I do, that's when I'll get the sub-2 performance that is way over my other ones.

/rant. this memory fires me up so much, and writing it down again makes me super ready for track.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
I am on a mission. to DUNK a basketball. only problem is I'm 5'7", but dunking as least gives me a goal to aim for when weight training and stuff, and you could call it a life goal of mine. I've always had decent leaping ability, but I (maybe delusionally) think that I actually have a shot at being able to throw down a slamma jamma someday. I currently am able to just barely get my fingertips on the rim, with about a 35 inch vertical. squatting 3x/week, maybe I'll throw in some calf raises or something in there LET'S GET IT

I too am looking to run track last year, did it last year and I was decent but nothing special. This year a lot of the faster sprinter graduated or aren't running, so I potentially could be one of the better sprinters MAYBE. I think I'll be a good bit faster than last year, since apparently there was this article that said speed is really dependent on leg strength since usain bolt and the average runner both have about the same turnover, and I've been lifting and plan to do lots more before season starts and I already have semi-decent form after figuring some stuff out last year LET'S GET IT

well, 3 times a day working out is really tough. I'm adjusting though, slowly but surely. first soccer game is tomorrow, so I'll now see if I can handle a game having run twice in the day already.

be back in a day!

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Your schedule is all mixed up. You should have specific days for specific body parts. At the rate you're going, you're gonna be too fucked up to bench on Tuesday because you lifted too much on Sunday/Monday. And if you're not sore, chances are you are not lifting enough for your body to grow.

A "proper" schedule should be something like;

Tuesday-- Shoulder/Back/Traps
Wednesday-- Legs/Calves
Thursday-- Chest/Arms

(This is just an example lifting layout, you don't have to necessarily follow this)

You don't have to train a specific body part more than once a week for it to grow. If you lift hard and enough, your body will grow. Based on your post, you want your muscles to grow. Sets of 2-3 and 12+ reps should be enough.

As far as exercises go, you're on the right track. Just group your lifts together right. Bench pressing 2 times in a row isn't smart.

brb finding an article

(reserved)

ugh there are two that i'm looking for this was the first (and easiest to find) but i can't remember the name of the other one, leaving this here though and still looking for the other one i know it started with an H but that's as far as I've gotten also punctuation is for noobs:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_pushpull_workout

FOUND IT i think there are several articles though hold on it was called High Performance Mass!!! perform like an athlete look like a bodybuilder brb getting articles

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ok_like_a_bodybuilder_perform_like_an_athlete

knock yourself out. i don't know how much you lift but one of the SL mods used this program and it was his favorite by far, and he made some good progress with it. haven't read over it in a while though, i'll give it a skim but leave it here anyway as an example

---

yeah i remember why it was a huge commitment, you train daily. james modded it to fit 4 or 5 days I think, and I'm sure you can do some mods too. or you can just build one from scratch / edit your current one. i'm not the guy to go to for splits or anything, but your program made me think of these two articles (mostly the last one but i remembered the first one afterward).

---

@uragg Good luck bro! post a vid when you can do it / post vids of your increasing progress! haha

unfortunately I was only able to get up to 220 lbs 3x5 on bench, so the mythical 2 plate bench press will have to wait until after my cut (because I am fat). currently 189 lbs w/ clothes on. Started diet last wednesday @192 lbs w/clothes on, so we'll see how that goes.

chicken chicken chicken for the next 2 months oh yeah

unfortunately I was only able to get up to 220 lbs 3x5 on bench, so the mythical 2 plate bench press will have to wait until after my cut (because I am fat). currently 189 lbs w/ clothes on. Started diet last wednesday @192 lbs w/clothes on, so we'll see how that goes.

chicken chicken chicken for the next 2 months oh yeah
:( damn. well maybe i'l catch up! I'm 2 months away from a 185 5x5 bench if i don't stall (and I don't plan on it!) so maybe if i'm lucky i can churn out a solid 225 3x5 in february!

good luck with the cuts! (i expect pics / what you're doing specifically / etc. since this thread is pretty much a brotherhood and that's the kind of stuff i'm pretty sure brotherhoods do so.... :P)

/me notices that actually doesn't sound like catching up. well, fuck.

:( damn. well maybe i'l catch up! I'm 2 months away from a 185 5x5 bench if i don't stall (and I don't plan on it!) so maybe if i'm lucky i can churn out a solid 225 3x5 in february!

good luck with the cuts! (i expect pics / what you're doing specifically / etc. since this thread is pretty much a brotherhood and that's the kind of stuff i'm pretty sure brotherhoods do so.... :P)

/me notices that actually doesn't sound like catching up. well, fuck.
I might put up a before pic soon just for laughs. Not expecting a 6 pack or anything, just to get back to where I was before I started putting on weight. Right now the plan is just stick with my current lifting program (which I'll post if anyone is interested), possibly add more volume, play more racquetball and possibly bike around more if it doesn't get too cold outside. Running sucks and is boring and I will never do it.

As far as diet goes, I'm pretty lenient on what I eat, and really only focus on total calories and protein. It's worked for me in the past, and I'm able to eat more calories now than back then so everything should work out fine. Basically I eat a lot of chicken, and then eat what I usually eat in smaller portions.

The plan is cut until 2012 and then rebulk and hit crazy records

edit: here's a "before" pic, in the loosest sense of the word

actual shirtless before pic is being considered if anyone truly wants to see my fat ass half naked

running is the best and you absolutely should do it. I can't think of anything more fulfilling in my life.

anyways, running today went terribly. i have had super tender calves for the past day or two.

the soccer game went well though. i made a dangerous run early and left a cross just a little shy of being perfectly placed for our center forward, to create the first chance of the game. after that run, one of the other team's guys recognized me from track, and from that point there were 3 on me the whole game, leaving our center forwards wide open for an easy 5-0 win. decent enough start to the season.

indeed, it's not for everyone and I get that. I used to hate it myself too. then a runner friend of mine told me to look at it as its own destination, rather than as a means to get in shape. I started going on exploring runs and chillin by myself and all that. that's when it started being awesome for me.

but yeah, you definitely have to be a certain weird sort of person to enjoy it.

I've never gotten the "runner's high" or whatever you call it, either. I usually just feel like crap after I'm done with a run so I do more interesting forms of cardio to lose weight (mostly racquetball, which I love playing anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)