The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What do you guys think of swimming? I'm moving to Toronto in 2 weeks and I'm thinking about joining a gym with a pool. I used to swim a lot and loved it so I was thinking maybe one day do weights, then the next swim and keep alternating like that. I'm looking to lose like 50 pounds btw so the cardio from swimming seems like it'd be a great help and I'm not too interested in getting buff like ottermode would be perfect though! (Buff doesn't work on my body type or so I think lol)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Swimming rules. It's awesome cardio and minimal impact. Saves years on your knees and ankles.

alamaster

hello
Yea, that's what I was thinking cause 7 months ago I had 2 stress fractures in my foot, so I'm iffy about running again but swimming should be great for that. Cool man, thanks for the reply!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seconding DM's comment. Swimming has been IMMENSELY helpful for me during my recovery from my ligament tear, and should be substituted over the treadmill/elliptical/whatever else you use for cardio.

A Beginner's Guide to Working Out

Introduction

Hello everyone! The purpose of this thread is to educate people about health and fitness, specifically working out and lifting weights.

Now, being a girl, I'm aware I'm not exactly in this site's main demographic (which I assume to be teenage boys). However, I am a volunteer personal trainer and working very hard to eventually get a career in the medical field. I exercise vigorously as well, and have a pretty decent knowledge of muscle-building/weight loss. Therefore, I'm confident my info can help at least SOMEONE.

This thread is designed for younger males (15+) who want to build muscle. Questions are encouraged!

So, you've decided that you want to start exercising and going to the gym. Good for you! You're on the right track towards a healthy lifestyle. However, weight-lifting can seem like a daunting task, especially when you have no idea where to start. Fear not, for this is why I made this thread.

(PS to any mods. I wasn't sure whether to post this thread here or in A FORVM, where I feel more people might not know a lot about working out and can benefit more from this thread. If you think it's more suited for there, I have no problems with it being moved!)

The Basics

What is weight lifting?
Weight lifting is a method of exercise where, by lifting heavy objects, you use the force of gravity to oppose the force of your muscles. This can vary from using dumbbells and barbells to doing simple push-ups. People of all ages lift weights, from teenagers to the elderly. (You'd be very surprised as to how many elderly people are at the gym)

How does the body build muscle?
Cells mainly grow via Hypertrophy, when the cells and fibers get bigger.
When you exercise a muscle, you create microscopic tears and other damage to the muscle fibers. When you finish exercising, your body scrambles to repair the damage via Hypertrohpy. In the process, it creates a stronger, more efficient muscle. Basically, you build muscle not during the exercise, but during the rest following the exercise.

Why should I lift weights?
- Increased bone density
- improved physique
- increased joint strength
- increased metabolism
- improved posture
- improves functionality despite aging
- cardiovascular benefits (like preventing heart disease and diabetes)
- counters depression/improves mood via increased pleasure chemicals in the brain
- improved self discipline and work ethic
- for some people, exercising can be a confidence boost.
- I could go on forever

Anatomy

Before you head off to the gym, you need to do a little research and hit the books. Unless you want to suffer from severe back pain, you will need to learn a little bit of human Anatomy and learn about the muscles of your body so that you can balance your workout.

Your body is made up of about 640 muscles. That's a lot! Your muscles are generally divided into your Legs, Stomach, Chest, Arms, Shoulders, Upper Back, and Lower Back. Any safe workout routine must balance ALL of these areas.

Stomach: Abdominals ("Abs") and Obliques
Chest: Pectorals ("Pecs")
Shoulders: Deltoids and Trapezius ("Traps")
Upper Back: Traps, Latissimus Dorsi ("Lats"), and Rhomboids
Most muscles come in pairs; when one muscle contracts, the other relaxes. They are usually located on opposite sides of the body. These groups are called Opposing Muscle Groups. It is important to exercise both muscles of the group; If you don't do both, one muscle might get too strong which can cause pain in the weaker one.

Here are the major opposing muscle groups:

Quadriceps vs. Hamstrings
Stomach vs. Lower Back
Chest vs. Upper Back
Deltoids vs Lats (Upper Back)
Biceps vs Triceps
Why is this important? To avoid injury, you must exercise both muscles in the group to prevent an imbalance. Do you want a strong chest? Prepare to work out your back too. You must balance all parts of your body in your workout routine to avoid injury.

Types of Lifting

There are two kinds of lifts: Compound Lifts and Isolation Lifts.

-Compound Lifts utilize more than one muscle; for example, Squats work out almost every muscle in your legs and other muscles throughout your whole body.
- Isolation lifts, such as Bicep Curls, isolate one single muscle and only exercise that muscle.
Compound Lifts are generally better, but that doesn't mean Isolation lifts are terrible. However, for new lifters, compound lifts are the better way to go.

----------

Exercises can generally be split into 3 categories by equipment: Body Weight, Free Weights, and Machines.
- Body Weight exercises require no equipment except your own body.
- Free Weights require the use of Dumbbells, Barbells, Kettleballs, and other similar equipment.
- Finally, there are Machines. They utilize several sets of simple machines and cables to convey the resistance in different ways.

Now that you are more familiar with the different kinds of lifting, we can get to the exciting part: the actual exercise!

The Actual Exercise + Building Your Routine

Before you head off to the gym, you'll need to formulate some kind of weekly workout routine. Remember what I said about balancing the muscle groups?
For most beginners, you'll want to keep it simple. 3-4 Full Body workouts a week for about one month is a good start. Don't overstress yourself. Keep the weight light/moderate and focus mostly on your form.

Pick one exercise from each following group, and you'll exercise almost every muscle in your body. I've tried to list different exercises that use different kinds of equipment. Do 2-3 sets of 8 repetitions for each exercise. If you have an experienced parent, friend, or coach, ask them to show you the "advanced" exercises. And remember, form is key!

Chest:
Push-Ups
Dumbbell Bench Press
Machine Chest Press
Flyes
Barbell Bench Press (Advanced) (Don't do heavy weight without a friend to spot you)
----------

After about 6 weeks of this, you'll be ready to get more advanced with your routine. Google is your friend; search for new exercises that you can do! You can start splitting different muscle groups each day. For example, my routine:

Sun: Shoulders, Abs
Tues: Chest, Triceps
Wed: Back, Biceps
Fri: Legs

However, everyone's body is different. You will need to cater your routine to your own needs.

Diet

So now you're back from your first workout. You're probably tired and want to take a nap. But don't! You need to EAT. NOM NOM NOM

I kid you not, diet is 70% of your strength gains. What you eat determines whether or not you just wasted your time at the gym. It's quite simple, really; you just need to ingest a lot of protein. If you want to maximize the gains, you will want to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight; so if you weigh 150 pounds, you should consume 150g of protein for maximum effect.
Dairy products such as milk and eggs are full of protein; so are beans, chicken, red meat, and almonds. Even better, you can make a delicious fruit smoothie and then add some protein powder to make a protein shake. Google is your friend.

And that's it! I hope this thread was informative and helpful.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Doesn't this post belong in the Physical Fitness thread? It's a great compilation of information, but I'm not sure it needs its own thread. Perhaps you could talk to the OP of the Fitness thread to see if the info can be edited into the thread as a reference?

EDIT: Also, isn't it better to work out opposing muscle groups on the same day? For example, on the days you do chest, should you not also do upper back? Same with biceps and triceps, abs and lower back, etc. Just asking.

Fantastic thread; I've always wanted to try something like this but always got too lazy. Do I need to go to the gym if I have a bench, and a dumbell at home? I can just do situps on the bench, pushups on the floor, curls with the dumbell etc.

alamaster

hello
Doesn't this post belong in the Physical Fitness thread? It's a great compilation of information, but I'm not sure it needs its own thread. Perhaps you could talk to the OP of the Fitness thread to see if the info can be edited into the thread as a reference?
This.

@Cherub Agent, I used to just to pushups/situps and dumbbell stuff at home when I was younger but you get a much better work out at a gym. Might be useful to work up your stamina in the meantime though.

Also, SQUATZ AND OATZ

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
question on current subject

I like to do pushups first thing in the morning, on top of my regular resistance training program. but general consensus is 'don't work out the same body part for 48 hours' and pushups do most of the upper body so...will I have to ditch my beloved morning pushups because they are stunting my recovery? :(

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
question on current subject

I like to do pushups first thing in the morning, on top of my regular resistance training program. but general consensus is 'don't work out the same body part for 48 hours' and pushups do most of the upper body so...will I have to ditch my beloved morning pushups because they are stunting my recovery? :(
I don't think pushups are going to stunt your recovery much because they are a lighter load and aren't tearing the muscles like heavy weight lifting. Generally you want to wait 48 hours between workouts of the same group when you're doing heavy lifting, but for pushups I'm pretty sure you're fine continuing to do them every morning.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I would agree. I'm sure there's a difference between doing 50 pushups and, say, 500, but a couple sets every day to get your blood flowing shouldn't be stunting growth or anything. Hell, I plan on doing the same thing when I'm traveling in August for 2+ weeks, so it had better not. :justin2:

Alright guys, it's finally happened.

After almost two years of following rippetoe's strength program, it seems it has finally come to an end for me.

Just a few weeks ago, squatting 315 on a normal progression, I felt something wrong in my butt, a sharp pain when extending my leg up. Well, after a few weeks of pain like this an MRI showed that I have a bulged disk in my spine protruding into the nerve down my right leg, causing sciatica. While I have nothing but praise for this program and the strength and speed it has given me, I'm only saying this as a warning: no matter how perfect your form is or how experienced you are, things can go wrong at any time. This happens to even the world's strongest men. I will not abandon my goals of sprinting in college but at this point it seems squatting and deadlifting and power cleans will have to end, as well as other pursuits like soccer.

Note that I was not squatting incorrectly: the bar was firm against my back, not ontop of the spine, with my thumbs over the bar and not under it, forming a hook to press the bar into my back and stabilizing it. I always stick my butt out back as far as it can go before going down, to keep the shins roughly perpendicular to the ground at all times. In addition I only squatted weights that I could at least 5 reps of with my thighs parallel to the ground. However, despite all this, it didn't prevent an eventual injury over the course of months squatting this load.

In the end, these were my stats:

5'10''
168 lbs
bench press: 185 lbs
shoulder press: 115 lbs
squat: 315 lbs
deadlift: 315 lbs
power clean: 165 lbs

Though I did everything by the book, it turns out sometimes this isn't enough to prevent my frail 168 lb frame from injury. While I'm partially glad I stumbled into this forum and learned about weightlifting for how much faster it's made me, it seems the load was too much and so I will have to use other methods to improve my speed.

Thank you all and goodbye

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Alright, I'll do that then. I had them split because I like to do complimentary muscles together (chest vs upper back, abs vs lower back, etc) to keep things balanced, but I'm just an amateur so I'll defer to your judgment.

Also I want to include deadlifts and squats in my regiment, but I'm not sure where to fit them in to avoid overtraining certain muscle groups. Should I rework my schedule and build it around the squats and deadlifts instead of vice versa? I'm starting to think this would be better so I can focus more on the compound exercises first and fill in the gaps later. By typing this, I'm kind of realizing I went about designing my plan in the COMPLETE wrong way, so I should start over. Am I accurate?
Sorry forgot about this post! Fit them in with their given muscle groups. Believe it or not, it takes a lot more then people think to overtrain a muscle group, especially if you're predominantly hitting different sections with each exercise. As an example, just yesterday my legs day looked like this:

4 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Lunges 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Press 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Extensions till failure
3 sets of Leg Curls 8-10 reps

And even there, I missed time to do an exercise or two on calves! It's a lot harder to over train then you think, as long as you do this stuff once a week (maybe twice MAX with a significant gap to allow for recovery) it will be fine! The main thing is to do your big compounds at the start of your workout. Your routine is probably generally fine, but by doing these when you're not fatigued you're going to get the most out of the exercise. If you're pressing 50 pounds lower then what you usually do on the leg press after it then do be it, that means you did an awesome job pushing yourself with squats!

Edit: if you're that concerned about the exercises in your routine then starting over + building around compounds is the way to go. Like I said though, chances are your complimentary exercises are fine the way they are so just fit the compounds in!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
So I think something is wrong here. I went to the gym today with the goal of testing my max leg press weight (or really, testing how much strength I've lost) since my MCL tear. I stopped out of perplexion when I did 10 reps at 500 lbs with ease. Is this normal?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So I think something is wrong here. I went to the gym today with the goal of testing my max leg press weight (or really, testing how much strength I've lost) since my MCL tear. I stopped out of perplexion when I did 10 reps at 500 lbs with ease. Is this normal?
Not really imo, if you have naturally strong legs. I've made the mistake of neglecting legs for a lot of my gymming life and I was able to do 500 lb's from the get go anyway. Maybe it's similar with you!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Ok, I was just making sure there wasn't some Rookie-Of-The-Year-esque thing going on with my legs. I've been a soccer player my whole life so I suppose that helps too.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Everybody should read CBShuckle's post and remember that we're only ever one moment away from losing it all. I only hope that when my times I'll be able to show the same level-headedness that he has. I'm sure you'll find other ways to meet your goals, Shucks, there's always other exercises out there; when I hurt my epicondyle back in October I realised I might never be able to curl again as it was just too painful but I've since started doing chin-ups to target my biceps and actually feel a lot better for it! I guess what I'm saying is keep your chin up! ^________________^

for what it's worth, I had a mild case of sciatica and it seemingly just went away after a few weeks. set me back enormously at the time, since it was right before track season, but in the long term it wasn't a huge deal. keep your chin up, stay safe, and you'll be back on the track and under the bar in no time

this is my two year progress. sorry for the size of the picture, the quality is already terrible and i didn't know how to fix it without lowering the quality even more.

never had any injuries thank god and still making progress

and if anyone cares I like to alternate between strength training and hypertrophy. say 2 month on a strength training and then 2 month on a classic bodybuilding routine.

Stallion

Tree Young

this is my two year progress. sorry for the size of the picture, the quality is already terrible and i didn't know how to fix it without lowering the quality even more.

never had any injuries thank god and still making progress

and if anyone cares I like to alternate between strength training and hypertrophy. say 2 month on a strength training and then 2 month on a classic bodybuilding routine.
Impressive mate! Very good chest especially! Now your arms have gotta catch up ;) Are there any before photos from the start of the two year period? And what was your diet like throughout the process?

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
back into squatting again after my knee injury and it feels good, but it leads me to a question ive been wondering about for ages. is there anything actually wrong with using the pussy pad? i mean i genuinely don't use it to prevent getting mocked, so i was wondering if it in any way impaired your squat. and whats with the stigma surrounding using the pussy pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)