The Next Best Thing - Sawk [Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm finishing voting early because a) I want to move onto the next Pokemon, b) I want to mention some things and c) yes, I'm aware of what you guys were doing and I'm going to allow it but only for this round!

Nozzle: 12
Treecko: 6
Kentucky_Fried_Colonel: 1
msox: 1
Ashley11: 2
Infernis: 1
FLCL: 3

So firstly, before I continue I want to mention how in the future when I update the HoF (eventually!) I'm going to say that new users shouldn't necessarily take the winning set as the "best" set to win that round of the project, and should look at the other options posted in the thread through a ctrl+f.

Nevertheless, I'm introducing something else to hopefully stop that and guarantee that quality sets will actually exist! During the posting period from now on only post the sets. There will be a two day discussion period after the posting period where you can "sell" your set in a way (in other words post why users should vote for it), and other users can comment on how to improve sets that have already been posted. Then when the two days are up, there will be a voting period (in which you can no longer edit your sets) where hopefully after the second two day period the quality of the sets are improved and when voting people make more informed votes. :3 (also thanks to tennisace for the genius idea!)

Next mon...

eel

You have two days to post a set!​

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

ahoy

Eelektross @ Expert Belt | Levitate
112 HP / 140 Atk / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd | Rash Nature
Thunderbolt / Superpower / Flamethrower / Giga Drain

This is an Eelektross set that I've been using for a while, but its EVs and nature were tweaked with the help of TalkTakesTime and CherubAgent. This set takes down every wall in NU with ease, 2HKOing all of them with the correct predictions. Thanks to its great mixed attack stats, Eelektross is an incredibly viable mixed wallbreaker, and it's the role that I think Eelektross serves the best on almost any NU team.

The EVs used here serve many purposes, but it is primarily based on getting OHKOs or 2HKOs. The 8 Speed EVs are to Speed creep other base 50 Speed Pokemon, such as Regirock, Regice, Audino, Lickilicky, Piloswine, etc. The remaining EVs are thrown into HP to give it some nice bulk. Rash Nature is used to increase Special Attack without lowering the important Attack or Speed stats for the set. Originally, the set was Quiet Nature with enough Speed EVs to reach the same Speed this spread has, but with a Rash Nature and the extra EVs in HP, most special attacks do on average 1-3% more damage in exchange for the ability to take physical hits a bit better. Eelektross appreciates all the physical bulk it can get while remaining offense, as it allows it to check certain Pokemon, such as SubBU Braviary, better than what it would without the investment.

Here are some calcs with this set!

248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Alomomola: 123.22% - 145.51% (Guaranteed OHKO)
248 SpAtk Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Weezing: 58.68% - 69.46% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 248 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Misdreavus: 34.67% - 41.18% (3 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 248 HP/0 SpDef Mantine: 157.66% - 187.99% (Guaranteed OHKO)
248 SpAtk Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 248 HP/0 SpDef Torkoal: 57.14% - 67.64% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 192 HP/64 SpDef Articuno: 75.07% - 88.62% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 248 HP/252 SpDef Altaria: 31.73% - 37.68% (2-3 hits to KO after Stealth Rock)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Thunderbolt vs 248 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Togetic (+SpDef) : 52.72% - 63.26% (2 hits to KO)

140 Atk Expert Belt Eelektross Superpower vs 252 HP/0 Def Regice: 72.53% - 85.71% (2 hits to KO)
140 Atk Expert Belt Eelektross Superpower vs 252 HP/0 Def Lickilicky: 65.09% - 76.89% (2 hits to KO)
140 Atk Expert Belt Eelektross Superpower vs 252 HP/0 Def Audino: 72.44% - 85.85% (2 hits to KO)
140 Atk Expert Belt Eelektross Superpower vs 248 HP/0 Def Eviolite Zweilous: 67.72% - 80.12% (2 hits to KO)
140 Atk Expert Belt Eelektross Superpower vs 252 HP/4 Def Bastiodon (+Def) : 94.75% - 112.35% (68.75% chance to OHKO)
140 Atk Expert Belt Eelektross Superpower vs 252 HP/4 Def Probopass (+Def) : 108.02% - 127.16% (Guaranteed OHKO)

248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Flamethrower vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Tangela: 95.51% - 112.57% (68.75% chance to OHKO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Flamethrower vs 252 HP/176 SpDef Meganium: 54.67% - 64.56% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Flamethrower vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Roselia (+SpDef) : 43.42% - 51.32% (2-3 hits to KO)

248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Giga Drain vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Piloswine: 46.78% - 55.2% (2-3 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Giga Drain vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Seismitoad (+SpDef) : 78.74% - 92.75% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Giga Drain vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Regirock: 51.37% - 60.44% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Giga Drain vs 176 HP/0 SpDef Golurk: 61.43% - 72.73% (2 hits to KO)
248 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Giga Drain vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Golem: 175.42% - 207.31% (Guaranteed OHKO)

I'm sure there are still more calcs I'm missing out on, but you generally get the point here. There are only three Pokemon on this list that are not at least 2HKOed, most of which are 2HKOed after hazards. What is even better is that most of the 2HKOs deal enough damage that you don't have to worry about predicting the switch correctly. Moreover, since Eelektross is almost always either the special set or the Coil set, this serves as an effective lure for special walls after they see a move used.

Scolipede pairs really well with this Eelektross, helping to get the jump on many of the Pokemon on the list, assuring 2HKOs occur, and bringing 2HKOs up to OHKOs. Jynx also works well with this set, since Shelgon is one of the only Pokemon that can effectively wall this set. In addition, Jynx—particularly Choice Scarf variants that can clean up late-game—appreciates walls removed from the opponent's side of the field.

Overall, to me, this is the most effective set for Eelektross to be running right now. It undoubtedly beats its checks (it barely even has any), and the support that the set provides for the team is incredible.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Eelektross @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- ThunderPunch
- Drain Punch
- Crunch

coil eel is surprisingly effective and can catch the opponent off guard as they will usually expect the special set. this set has perfect coverage and is one of the few physical attackers that has little trouble with alomomola. drain punch is extremely useful and gives eelektross a way to regain health while crunch rounds off the set by hitting golurk, which would otherwise wall the set. thunderpunch is used over wild charge since they still obtain the same kills except the latter cuts into eelektross' longevity.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Actually, won't Aqua Tail be better than Crunch, since it gets the accuracy boost from Coil and hits Golurk harder?

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
you miss out on coverage against vileplume, roselia, and exeggutor (mainly the latter since the former two don't get hit as hard)

Eelektross @ Choice Band
132HP/252Atk/124Spd
Adamant
-Wild Charge
-U-turn
-Crunch/Aqua Tail
-Superpower/Drain Pucnh

This set is run off of Eelektross' higher Attack stat, and does big damage. Base 115 is pretty good for NU, and it still has a big enough physical move pool to make this set viable. The EV's are set up to outspeed Alomomola and 2HKO it with Wild Charge. U-turn is nice to have if you need to get a Pokemon in safely since it's still slower than most the tier even with the EV's. The choice between Crunch and Aqua Tail simply comes down to what you want mons you want it to beat. Crunch for the Psychic's running around the tier or Aqua tail for Armaldo and Golem, while still being able to hit Golurk super effectively. Superpower is there also to deal with normal types and just as an all around stong move to mons that resist or are immune to your STAB, and goes great as Eelektross' counters tend to be special walls such as Lickilicky and Audino. Drain punch can also be used in place if you need the healing more and don't want the attack and defense drop

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay let's see if this idea works (hopefully...?) anyway for the next two days discuss why your set is best/why it should win/how to improve upon others. n_n if this idea fails I'll go back to the earlier format~

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay let's see if this idea works (hopefully...?) anyway for the next two days discuss why your set is best/why it should win/how to improve upon others. n_n if this idea fails I'll go back to the earlier format~
for reasoning on why I feel my set is best see: my post

e: okay nvm lemme try to snag this one.

In my opinion, Eelektross's counters are not too useful and/or seen due to the offensive twist in the metagame (licki, regice, grumpig I guess?). Its real major flaw is its Speed and no reliable recovery. My ChestoRest set gives Eelektross a "second chance" of hitting the offensive meta hard. It also beats Jynx 1v1 if Stealth Rock is up, so its a decent set and can potentially be a lifesaver!

Oh and also, the purpose of Next Best Thing shouldn't necessarily mean your Pokemon should beat its counters (but that's a good thing too!), but to perform well in the current metagame as well!

See my post if you want to know why I think it's good, but also, it baits in mons that are typically specially defensive, and can hit them hard. A good overlooked physical movepool also helps it greatly.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would like to make a mention that I've actually tested out Treecko's Wallbreaker set and have found Superpower to be a very effective for Special walls. Missing out on a slow Volt Switch is a bummer, but hitting common Eelektross switch-ins like Lickylicky and Regice on the switch is highly gratifying.

I would like to make a mention that I've actually tested out Treecko's Wallbreaker set and have found Superpower to be a very effective for Special walls. Missing out on a slow Volt Switch is a bummer, but hitting common Eelektross switch-ins like Lickylicky and Regice on the switch is highly gratifying.
Yeah, I was going to post a mixed set, but he beat me to it :p So I started looking around for other sets and realized a choice band set was very feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)