The Next Best Thing...

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
yep koko wins no doubt. thanks for all the votes, this round seemed to get a lot of interest. the next pokemon will be Meloetta!

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
GG bitches

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 104 Atk / 188 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Work Up
- Close Combat

Basically takes slow teams and shoves it right where the sun don't shine. At +1, Close Combat OHKOs the standard 0/52 CB Snorlax after SR while Umbreon takes a minimum of 70% (weaken it a bit, cause Foul Play will hurt). Thunderbolt OHKOs Slowbro 100% of the time, and after Stealth Rock, 252/0 Suicune 75% of the time and 248/0 Slowking 100% of the time. The standard 252/0 Togekiss is also OHKOd after SR (90% minimum). Enough Speed for max Speed non-scarf Heracross/Nidoking/Suicune/Kingdra.

Basically pair it with paralysis support and watch it demolish offense on top of already wrecking defensive teams. It walks over its typical counters.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 12 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Heal Bell
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Meloetta can surprisingly be a very effective special wall. Its typing grants it some very nice resistances, a neutrality to fighting and an immunity to ghost. The sheer special bulk this thing carries is actually pretty astounding, but what really sets this pokemon apart from other special walls is its impressive offensive capabilities. Even with minimal investment, psychic hits like a truck with the equivalent of a maxed out base 85 SpAtk stat, while its lovely 1/5 chance to lower the opponents SpDef make it anything but setup fodder, a common issue for Umbreon. In case one is still skeptical, 100 / 128 special defense is actually bulkier than Umbreon. Things like Life Orb Zapdos and sheer force Nidoqueen will have a hard time dealing with this Meloetta set. This also functions as an effective status absorber as it can remove it by using Rest and proceed to use Sleep Talk (Sleep Talk doesn't decrease the original pp of Heal bell when selected).

-->

Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Claw/Quick Attack
- Relic Song

This may seem gimmicky but I've actually had success using this set. The main plan is for Meloetta to come in on something weakened and revenge kill it with a Relic Song, thus changing its forme. Meloetta P has excellent offensive stats, it is in fact the most powerful and fastest Fighting type in the tier.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
like the set koko, but slight nitpick: wouldn't hasty be a bit more useful? melo's spd is one of its best assets, and running a negative nature kinda just ruins in. not saying that melo should be taking too many hits anyways, but the main things it'll be coming in on will be attacking from the special side.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Modest/Timid Nature
- Echoed Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast/U-Turn/Trick

A Meloetta set I messed around with for a while, being the strongest user of Echoed Voice who also gets STAB from it, you get a little gimmicky spam action. Echoed Voice increases in power each time you use it, meaning you go from 40, to 80, to 120, to 160, up to 200 (ouch) base power off base 128 Special Attack. The coverage moves aren't as important and are options depending on what you'd like to hit. For obvious reasons this Meloetta works pretty nicely lategame when Ghosts/Steels are gone, or at least against a team that's been weakened to the point you can get off 2 Echoed Voices safely, preferably if the first one is finishing off a weakened Pokemon. Once that happens you're basically going to be snowballing your way through foes who can't handle the power momentum surge this Meloetta gets. On the plus side she still can perform her Scarf user duties with good coverage options, access to U-Turn for momentum, and the ability to cripple opposing walls with Trick if you're up against a predominantly-slow team and don't mind not having a Scarf. So basically you have a decent Choice Scarfer at base 90 Speed who can turn into a lategame cleaner with the right support.

PS: If the other guy laughs at you for using Echoed Voice...You're probably doing it right.

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
like the set koko, but slight nitpick: wouldn't hasty be a bit more useful? melo's spd is one of its best assets, and running a negative nature kinda just ruins in. not saying that melo should be taking too many hits anyways, but the main things it'll be coming in on will be attacking from the special side.
Maybe, I never bothered running defensive calcs for the set. My train of thought when going for Naive > Hasty was that the stuff it would typically set up on (Cofagrigus, for example) would still do ~shit with their attacks, even with the 10% drop in SpD. If you want to set up on something like... I dunno, Swampert, however, that 10% drop in Defense is likely to be more significant.

@kokos set, doesn't virizion sorta outclass meloetta in as far as a work up set due to its better stats and speed and ability to wall break?

@the scarf set, im liking that set a lot! Ima def try it. Scarf set beats scarf hera and crobat with psychic which is very good for opening holes

@kokos set, doesn't virizion sorta outclass meloetta in as far as a work up set due to its better stats and speed and ability to wall break?
Virizion has better Speed and Attack than Meloetta and that's it (well SpD is one point higher lol). The whole point of the Melotta set is that it already has great coverage with Psychic and Thunderbolt but also smashes things that don't care about those moves with Close Combat. It doesn't need as much attack as Virizion because Close Combat hits what it needs to hard enough, and the extra 38 Special Attack is really important. I'm actually suspicious of a Virizion Work Up set, because 90/90 is underwhelming. I think SD would do just as well. Anyway, they play differently, e.g. Meloetta really wants paralysis support.

kokoloko

Would you switch Umbreon and Snorlax into Virizion? Yeah, me neither.

Meloetta is way fucking stronger, btw. I'm not even sure they're even comparable tbh.

This was a bit better when everyone wasn't over-compensating for Heracross, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway-
Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Basically, you have a powerful mon with speed slightly better than some very common scarfers (Heracross, Chandelure), so you take advantage of that better speed tier, and give it a Choice Scarf. It's not winning any points for creativity, but it's at least effective. Had it on one of my more successful teams as a replacement for what was originally P-Z, simply due to Meloetta being slightly better at doing the job.

Tangential point, but I'm not sure why you would ever use Work Up Virizion in UU in the first place. +2 Leaf Blade outdamages +1 Giga Drain against basically all notable targets - Slowbro takes more from Giga Drain, but both moves are either OHKOing it with a Life Orb or failing to OHKO it without, and the work up set is gimping itself against basically every other significant target - +2 Close Combat does more than +1 HP Ice against crap like Roserade anyway, and Gligar isn't exactly eager to stay in once you reveal the Work Up since you obviously have HP Ice. You could argue that Giga Drain recovery is kinda nice, but you're lowering your defenses to get it, which seems kind of eh overall. You're also kind of forced into LO since otherwise with mixed evs you're just pathetically weak... hell you already miss the OHKO on Umbreon with unboosted Close Combat almost all of the time if SR is up and it has recieved one turn of Leftovers recovery - SD can reasonably use other items as long as it had a little hazard support, and it's not like WU wouldn't appreciate a Lum berry either since having a gimped Close Combat makes it a worse CM Virizion, effectively. Giving up Stone Edge basically sucks all around since you can't hit Crobat on the switch or OHKO defensive Zapdos after a boost any more.

I might be missing a target, but I can't think of any decent reason to actually use Work Up on Virizion.

I do think Koko's set looks pretty cool though. It feels to me as though it actually does become a lot more difficult to beat with the mixed set... it's really a shame it's not just a little faster honestly - paralysis support isn't exactly hard to provide but it does restrict teambuilding a little more than a bulkier Meloetta set might (IMO). The need for a LO is also a little bit disappointing - I often find Leftovers really handy on Offensive CM, although I suppose it's less of a consideration here since you're not boosting SDef.
Really neat set overall though.

kokoloko

It doesn't actually need paralysis support. It's still faster than everything that isn't considered "fast", and it has the bulk to take a hit from any non-Mienshao Scarf user. Does it appreciate paralysis? For fucking sure. Does it need it? Nah. It'll demolish slow teams and cause some damage to faster ones regardless.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
yea start voting!

gonna vote myself for koko pebbles. that's the kind of set that this thread was supposed to be creating. i've always wanted to incorporate meloetta's access to cc without having to use it's gay ass other form. seems like koko's take on melo gives it solid mixed attacking abilities and could be quite the force against slower, more defensive teams.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
As much as I love CSB and his gimmicky creations, I'm going to have to hop on the wigglewagon and go with Kokoloko's set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)