The NU Open XI - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

Welcome to the eleventh iteration of the NU Open, hosted by Kris! Almost a year has passed since S1nn0hC0nfirm3d emerged victorious over TeamCharm and Charmflash to close out a thrilling tournament. Who will win this year? Let's find out!​

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Grand Slam rules can be found here.
  • Standard SS NU.
  • Best-of-three, single elimination.
  • Battles should take place on Pokemon Showdown!
  • SS cartridge win conditions are in place; there are no ties.
  • Tiers are locked at the beginning of each round.
Identity

About playing on alts: It is entirely allowed to play on an alt other than your own main forum name, though if your opponent wishes to confirm your identity, you must log on to your main alt to show them you are who you claim to be. This is to prevent people from pretending to be who they're not.

About playing on different servers: Tournament matches must be played on the Smogtours server. The Main PS! server is also acceptable if both parties agree to that. Other servers are not sanctioned by the TD team and playing in them might result in your game not counting. Protect yourself from that by playing in Smogtours, where we also have the power to recreate games that end due to DC's.
Scouting

On scouting opponents: Going through your opponents replays of tournament and ladder games is entirely allowed, as long as a game is public there is nothing preventing you from watching it. An exception to this is abusing powers granted to you by being staff on Smogon or PS! to gain access to information a normal user wouldn't have access to, which is strictly forbidden.

On leaking teams: Divulging private information about someone's planned team to their opponent is never allowed, and will be heavily sanctioned. Requesting that such information be divulged is also grounds for punishment. Keep your scouting to publicly available information and you'll be fine.

Timer Clause / Disconnections

On the Timer: The timer must stay on throughout the whole battle, not to be turned off even in the case of a player disconnecting as we now have a separate disconnection timer (more details here). The timer may not be turned off in any circumstance.

On Timeout losses: A player that loses by having all his time run out loses the game. This is only not the case if the player that received the timeout loss can be verified to have suffered a True Disconnection. Rematches in such cases are not allowed.

On True Disconnection: The TD team has a secret threshold of seconds that your timer must be at or above, from the moment you disconnect, for a timeout loss to be considered a True disconnection. If your game is determined to be a true disconnection if you played on Smogtours and contacted a TD before the room expired your game will be recreated up to the point the disconnect happened. It is the responsibility of the player that disconnected to get a TD into the room before it expires.

Battle Clauses:
  • Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • Team Preview
General recommendations:
  • Contact your opponent as soon as possible upon the round going up. Activity cases are going to be handled in a very strict manner.
  • When scheduling, offer a wide selection of times when you are available to play. 1 hour of activity on one or two weeknights is unlikely to be considered acceptable.
  • Schedule specifically - do not schedule for "Friday afternoon" or "Sunday morning", pick a date, a time and note the timezone.
  • If I catch news of ghosting or some other sort of atrocious behavior, I reserve the right to investigate to the full limits of my ability in conjunction with the TD team provided there is adequate evidence to warrant it.
That aside, feel free to get back to me (or a tournament director) if you still have any questions regarding this tournament (or Grand Slam in general) after reading this post. Last but not least, aside from points towards qualifying for Grand Slam playoffs, this tournament is part of the NU Tournament Circuit, so points for that will also be awarded accordingly depending on how well you do.

Good luck to all competitors!

Round 1

FrostPixel  vs  CelienneileC
Luthier  vs  TDNT
Sjneider  vs  swordstrike
Eulelp  vs  giove97
MagearnaTheBoss  vs  Meru
Baloor  vs  jcbc
velvet  vs  Sage
EternalSnowman  vs  Davon
bydy  vs  Ashbala
weakermaker  vs  Malekith
TDK  vs  Tarrembeau
Jordy004  vs  5Dots
BoomBoomBoo  vs  Xiri
RampageWebber  vs  IRazvannN
Toadow  vs  potato14798
Brexus  vs  Laurel
temp  vs  Punny
KM  vs  Noxey
SpacialRendevous  vs  UnzipsCrogre
Mendeez  vs  Welli0u
StitChuu  vs  pattek
Bushtush  vs  SimonBoi
Squash  vs  Leo
Feliburn  vs  rom1x38
Danny  vs  Marshall.Law
Expulso  vs  zioziotrip
blittius  vs  Thiago Nunes
dahli  vs  Heart Doom
Parpar  vs  elodin
Snak  vs  Shogeki
Armada  vs  pinorska
eifo  vs  Lucario
Zenadark  vs  yovan33321
Kenix  vs  Garay oak
InfernoDragon  vs  Nineage
frisoeva  vs  xander073
Elfuseon  vs  BlazingDark
Charmflash  vs  Phantomistix
neomon  vs  JuanSG
Bag of Trixx  vs  ProDigeZz
Alkione  vs  Scottie
Blimax  vs  halaman95
chlo  vs  etern
Fille  vs  Daruma
Kev  vs  decis
TheFranklin  vs  pokemonisfun
Corazan  vs  egalvanc
Quartosa  vs  Mr.Bossaru
Spl4sh  vs  GoldCat
Nael222  vs  zben
ToastedBunzzz02  vs  Oathkeeper
turtledoggo1  vs  inaccufade
airfare  vs  StarFalcon555
Drud  vs  Crunchman
Aberforth  vs  Tenebricite
John1240  vs  Void
Estarossa  vs  EviGaro
Fruitdealer  vs  OnArceus
Star  vs  TJ
Aurora  vs  Tuthur
monchooo  vs  txitxas
Heika  vs  Eonito
Beraldinho  vs  ACR1
Moutemoute  vs  Skilpad
bulufan14  vs  robjr
Yves Stone  vs  Askov
Roseybear  vs  Minimizing
bb skarm  vs  Stareal
Kink  vs  maroon
Froggy  vs  London Beats
bruno  vs  Mihowk
Finchinator  vs  Attack on Samurott
64 Squares  vs  KSr
King Billu  vs  Feaniix
Quiche Nuts Gandhi  vs  roxiee
xujing691691  vs  mj
Xenqt  vs  TGA
hariyana grande  vs  trace
Exiline  vs  MZ
Inder  vs  august
kythr  vs  Baoba
Revenge Killer  vs  OranBerryBlissey10
Poek  vs  aim
vani  vs  Mike Cometa
tazz  vs  Fakee
Goblin  vs  ninjadog
the pharoah  vs  Permission Slip
The Strap  vs  Pepeduce
jonfilch  vs  Skeltzy
azogue  vs  Meri Berry
TPP  vs  TeamCharm
afakedugong  vs  ShloopNoop
KJLX  vs  TonyFlygon
pdt  vs  Banbadoro
Fc  vs  gum
TheAprilFool  vs  WMAR
Fant'sy Beast  vs  crying
DugZa  vs  RaJ.Shoot
Eeveeto  vs  javitu
TectonicDestroyer  vs  Micciu
mael  vs  Togkey
Aliss  vs  Monai
AzZoCcX  vs  Ara ara
false  vs  Ninja
Miss Novelist  vs  Luigi
GW  vs  banks
Sificon  vs  avarice
mentalsoft  vs  Confide
Lunala  vs  Rhmsitb
Chaitanya  vs  Surfy
zS  vs  beatiful
QWILY  vs  Goat Heart ♥
Elias PSY  vs  S1nn0hC0nfirm3d
omi  vs  Freezerman
SoulWind  vs  Lyss
AmericanPi  vs  Dflo
HikariNR  vs  freezai
GXE  vs  Proszz
itsjustdrew  vs  dunoks
Raichy  vs  Roginald
Lily  vs  Call me PK
CDW Enrique  vs  Huargensy
snaga  vs  Excal
Vulpix03  vs  Ryuji-Sempai
Quantum Tesseract  vs  Shiba
Draphirion  vs  MichaelderBeste2
Sabella  vs  Zephyri
TheKingKarp  vs  HeroicTobias

The deadline for Round 1 is Sunday, April 10th at 11:59 PM EDT (GMT-4).

Last edited by a moderator:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I understand that you want a good bracket number, but is there really no better way than this?
Not letting 1/4 of the sign ups play is beyond me
yea im not even saying this as someone who got the sub treatment but like... fr?
I'm unsure what answer you want from me; I'm not happy with the amount of subs either and tried all day to get the 16 remaining signups to allow for a 384-person tournament. The threshold wasn't met, so the bracket settled on a 256-person tournament with 75 subs. I understand the frustration and would've included 16 additional byes had I/the TDs thought of it sooner. I apologize for the inconvenience and will try to see what I can do, though I'm unsure that anything can be done now that the bracket has already been made and people have already contacted their opponents.

TheFranklin

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
I'm unsure what answer you want from me; I'm not happy with the amount of subs either and tried all day to get the 16 remaining signups to allow for a 384-person tournament. The threshold wasn't met, so the bracket settled on a 256-person tournament with 75 subs. I understand the frustration and would've included 16 additional byes had I/the TDs thought of it sooner. I apologize for the inconvenience and will try to see what I can do, though I'm unsure that anything can be done now that the bracket has already been made and people have already contacted their opponents.
Yes I understand that 384 is the next alternative and also understand that you don't want to have too many byes, I'm not blaming you at all. It's just a shame that so many people don't get to participate in a big event this way

Corazan

Crystal
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
"Im unsure what answer you want from me", 6 years playing this game Ive never seen that. Signups openned March 20th and I signed up on the 21th. I dont understand how I can possibly be a sub just for your bracket sake or whatever. Please try to change this is NOT normal esp for such a big tournament.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
There is a valid reason to be upset if you did not get in and I appreciate people voicing their concerns — odds are a lot of you will end up substituted in eventually fwiw, but this was handled properly by Kris. If anything, you should have a grievance with the 10% substitute rule, which has been in place for a very long time. The issue is that if we ditch that and make it say 20%, then we also risk diluting R1 of this and many other tournaments — there’s some give and take to it all that must be considered rather than overruling it because of one uneven tournament draw, especially as money tournaments become commonplace.

Realistically a good amount of those who are substitutes will get in eventually due to strict activity checks of those in the field — this has happened before (contrary to what was said above) and it ended up being quite inclusive by the middle of the round, so between that and the new slam format, there is less reason to worry here. Kris is a very attentive host and I will make sure we are on-track as well so the substitute list will be cut into as time elapses I am sure.

Ultimately, the outcome will be fair to a vast majority of people and the outcome would be less ideal if we had a 3 player final and a substantial portion of people getting a r1 bye, especially in a tournament that has a cash prize that fits a 2 player final and should leave everyone with an equal chance (see: playing the same number of rounds).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)