Project The NU Theorymon Project [New Slate: Check Post #94]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about infiltrator for pyroar? It'd give it the ability to ignore screens and subs! Or maybe intimidate to give it more bulk on the physical side? How about adaptibility just to make it more powerful but that would probably make it too strong for NU.Maybe make em' gender exclusive??

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How about infiltrator for pyroar? It'd give it the ability to ignore screens and subs! Or maybe intimidate to give it more bulk on the physical side? How about adaptibility just to make it more powerful but that would probably make it too strong for NU.Maybe make em' gender exclusive??
Infiltrator would be pretty cool, but there arent that many substitute users in NU besides Klinklang iirc. Intimidate would be cool, but it doesnt have many good physical resits to make use of it. Adapatability would make it ridiculously overpowered imo.

Infiltrator would be pretty cool, but there arent that many substitute users in NU besides Klinklang iirc. Intimidate would be cool, but it doesnt have many good physical resits to make use of it. Adapatability would make it ridiculously overpowered imo.
Yeah, maybe something like flash fire or competitive maybe to kinda counter sticky web teams lowering its speed???

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, maybe something like flash fire or competitive maybe to kinda counter sticky web teams lowering its speed???
Flash fire wouldnt be bad, because it wouldn't be too broken. Most fire types in the tier have things to hit pyroar for nuetral or super effective damage, such as focus blast from typhlosion and magmortar as well as hyper voice from opposing pyroar. It would create a bunch of 50/50s if the opponent has a fire type, possibly forcing them to go for a coverage move allowing you to switch around accordingly.

Sheer Force? Except it doesn't get the boost with hyper voice since there's no effect or overcoat because of its lion coat?

subcm uxie
subsd bouffalant
subdd feraligatr
subbd slurpuff
subcm mesprit
sub3attacks pyroar
subnp mismagius
subsplit rotom
sub3attacks sceptile
subsmash gorebyss
subqd vivillon
subsd cacturne
subroost swanna
subnp ninetales
subsd scyther
subseed gourgeist

that is literally just a short list of things that can run sub! Klinklang is definitely not the only substitute user in NU, and therefore I think infiltrator might be solid for Pyroar [if you remember Spiritomb's utility o_o]. Also, remember infiltrator also bypasses dual screens, which would make Pyroar even harder to wall. IMO Seems like a p solid theorymon.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I do agree that Pyroar needs a better ability more suited to its role, but the afore mentioned abilities dont seem like they would benefit to much or the would make Pyroar OP in the NU meta game (Adaptability).

Intiminate + U-turn looks like something Pyroar would enjoy, allowing it to become a fantasitic pivot. Adaptibility is OP, while Quick feet and Infiltrator looks quite useless for it.

Outside of Pyroar, something I've though about is Wish Granbull and Knock off Primeape, do you guys think these would influence the meta to any extent?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Intiminate + U-turn looks like something Pyroar would enjoy, allowing it to become a fantasitic pivot. Adaptibility is OP, while Quick feet and Infiltrator looks quite useless for it.

Outside of Pyroar, something I've though about is Wish Granbull and Knock off Primeape, do you guys think these would influence the meta to any extent?
Wish granbull would be pretty cool, but if it's runs protect, which most wish users do, it would have a hard time choosing to run heal bell, eq or t wave or whatever on the last slot. Knock off Primeape would be sweet, because it has gunk shot to smack fairies as well as u turn for momentum. It would also probably suffer from 4mss, wanting to have encore, close combat, ice punch, stone edge, gunk shot, u turn, etc.

How about knock off for cacturne since it mostly relies on sucker punch for damage, true sucker punch makes up for its speed but enemies can take advantage of it and set up.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can we get some love for Recover Lanturn?

Reliable answer to every Fire-type ever except for Flareon, reliable recovery to keep doing it throughout the match, plenty of room on its set to run Volt Switch / Scald / Recover / Toxic. The only issue is that it might be too good to realistically remain in NU. It would be sick for the metagame though.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
So we've gotten this proposed so far: (I've ignored some outright broken/stupid/bad things in my opinion, but I don't think anyone care)
Personal favorites: >

Defog Rotom-S (doesn't work, then all formes would get it methinks)
>Poison/Dark Arbok
Ice Shard Walrein (what is this even?)
Knock Off Primeape
Tough Claws Kingler (uninteresting + mindless offensive buff tbh)
>Defog Altaria
>Wish Granbull
something Pyroar (this just happened anyway)
Recover Lanturn

Mysteria can you pick some of these? They're decent enough compared to some things that's been talked about in the past at least.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Just gonna drop this one off:

Unburden Victreebel

The main reason I would find this an interesting idea is because of the move Belch, a 120 BP Special Poison-type move that becomes (and remains) usable once its Berry has been consumed. With Unburden, Victreebel can sweep foes with Petaya boosted Belches which would be quite powerful, and a Poison-type sweeper is cool for NU (or any tier) to have. Victreebel even has STAB Giga Drain, which can be used to help keep its health high after consuming Petaya. Should Victreebel be forced out, it'd lose the Unburden boost, but it'll still keep Belch~

Alright, Quite Quiet was generous enough to pile up all the noms, and I was going to look at it at some point last night, but I was pretty tired.

I'll be updating the title now on.

Here's our new slate:

+ Unburden
+ Wish
+ Recover
+ Knock Off

Mont edit: changed belch to unburden

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't really like Wish Granbull, Recover Lanturn, and Knock Off Primeape because they're really obvious, super beneficial buffs that there would be no question to use them if available. Unburden Victreebel is my favorite this slate because while it is situational, as a set it seems pretty viable especially with Belch being used as consistent STAB after berry activation. It just seems to be the most interesting of this bunch.

Suggestion:
Sticky Hold Tangela

I just thought this might be a neat idea considering Knock Off is a gigantic problem for eviolite users. Tangela is known for its physically defensive set with Regenerator, but it has problems walling things because of how prevalent Knock Off is on physical attackers such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, Kabutops, Sawk, etc. With Sticky Hold, Tangela wouldn't have to worry about losing its bulk, but it would have to relinquish Regenerator which isn't as much of a problem because of Tangela's access to Giga Drain and Synthesis.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just want to defend my theorymon (I know we have enough for this slate, but regardless). The game could make it so Rotom-S learns both Defog and Air Slash when changing formes. There's nothing in the game preventing that, albeit a different approach.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I don't really like Wish Granbull, Recover Lanturn, and Knock Off Primeape because they're really obvious, super beneficial buffs that there would be no question to use them if available. Unburden Victreebel is my favorite this slate because while it is situational, as a set it seems pretty viable especially with Belch being used as consistent STAB after berry activation. It just seems to be the most interesting of this bunch.

Suggestion:
Sticky Hold Tangela

I just thought this might be a neat idea considering Knock Off is a gigantic problem for eviolite users. Tangela is known for its physically defensive set with Regenerator, but it has problems walling things because of how prevalent Knock Off is on physical attackers such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, Kabutops, Sawk, etc. With Sticky Hold, Tangela wouldn't have to worry about losing its bulk, but it would have to relinquish Regenerator which isn't as much of a problem because of Tangela's access to Giga Drain and Synthesis.
The entire reason I even consider Tangela is for Regenerator, it can still wall a ton of things even without eviolite. Also when building a team with Tangela you put something on it to absorb Knock Off. Regenerator allows Tangela to switch in take a hit force a switch and recover off damage, without it, it's viability would drop imo.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Might as well give my opinions on all the theorymons
  • Unburden Victreebel is kinda odd tbh. I guess it could give it an offensive use outside of sun, maybe an SD/mixed set with Sitrus Berry could be very good as it has the attacking stats for it.
  • Wish Granbull would be a great addition for stall teams tbh, as it adds a good fighting check with reliable recovery. The problem is that Granbull suffers from 4MSS, so it'll either have to drop heal bell, t-wave and/or earthquake as it will be using a wishtect set.
  • Recover Lanturn would be so good. It's already bulky as it is, and with it being able to recover 50% of it's hp, I don't believe it would be NU.
  • Knock Off Primeape might make it a pretty decent mon. The reason it is used a lot less than Hariyama/Sawk is because of this (as well as it being weaker than them both as well). With access to it, it would be a fast Knock Off user that can also u-turn out to provide great support for it's fellow team members.

My opinions on all of these:
Unburden Victreebel: Gives it more use, still not great imo because of the fact that it can get OHKO'd a lot, but once set up, very useful.
Wish Granbull: Granbull is already really good, and this would make it quite an easy pokemon to add to many teams. The 4mss is real, though.
Recover Lanturn: This makes lanturn a much better wall, and a staple for all stall teams. I would be annoyed if this was real. Potentially broken.
Knock Off Primeape: This doesn't have any special effect, besides making it rise to the level of pretty much all other fighting types anyway. It does grant us a good fighting type scarfer, though.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Piloswine with Taunt

Piloswine already has the job of anti-lead in the tier, but it is lacking one of the best things an anti-lead should have, that being Taunt. Even with such an abysmal, it is actually sufficient to perform its job, since Piloswine outspeeds Rhydon, Golem, Crustle, Carracosta (is tank costa still a thing? :[), Steelix and Camerupt. Obviously the last 3 can nail Pilo with some super-effective STAB moves, but the first three are much more common anyway. Piloswine also ties for speed with Audino, which it could speed creep to destroy any kind of use the Audino could hope to have.

It may not seem like much, but Piloswine is already a fairly niche-driven Pokémon, but it is pretty viable anyway. This would really help it enhance the niche it has, as well as give it some more utility on a tankier set.

Unburden + Victreebel - Very interesting, actually. I'm not sure how much use it would get in the end, though, because Victreebel already has Chlorophyll. Obviously just using Belch is more consistent than setting up a weather, but Sunny Day provides Victreebel with a powerful Fire-Type Weather Ball, which provides much more coverage than Belch. If a team is struggling with Slurpuff I could see this used, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)