Other The OU Role Comparison Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotten Seagull Fair enough. Vaporeon is C/C+ rank, and the general consensus seems to be that Alomomola is severely underrated. Adding.

WebBowser Latias isn't really what I'd consider a defensive mon. If you want a bulky Defogger, Zapdos, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, and Mega Scizor all exist. Latios is the only other offensive Defogger out there, however. Also, could you take a look at the EV's for the set I posted? They clearly are the EV's for an offensive Pokemon.

Blizzardhail I think you might want to work on yours a bit more. Tyranitar has tons of coverage options, so that's not really an advantage of Snorlax's. Also, would you mind explaining more how Snorlax is generally more reliable? I'd think that Tyranitar's better mixed bulk and mixed attacking stats make it more reliable.
Tyranitar's sandstorm lasts only for 5 turns, after which it's special defense is lower than Snorlax's

Mowtom Yeah, I was half asleep when I posted that. I still think that a more apt comparison would be defog megazard-x, which is not something that many people try (and unlike other dragons with defog like d-nite and salamence, zard-x actually has room in his set to run it). I still think that latias is more comparable to mew then latios, as odd as that sounds, due to both being used as specially defensive defoggers with offensive presence as opposed to simply all out offensive defogger, latios simply does that better. And yes, I saw the EV spread, but I can just as easily slap offensive EVs on a skarmory and call that an offensive pokemon. It even gets SD, yet that would rightfully get me laughed out of just about anywhere. As for your examples of other bulky defoggers, they are mostly phys defensive mons (I personally use megazor as a mixed wall, but that's uncommon), while latias is best used as a specially defensive mon due to a plethora of specially based resists and knock off weakness. Even draco meteors have difficulty breaking through latias due to roost. I think that as a specially defensive defogger, latias can easily carve out a niche among the mons you have listed.

Also, latias gets roar, which is great insurance vs CMers and subs abusers. Other support options it has include tailwind, t-wave, and duel screens.

*edit*

Blizzardhail actually mention that in your comparison. That's relavent. Also, don't take my word for how their movepools look, actually log onto showdown and look yourself. You might see something that I have missed.

Kabutops Vs. Kingdra as Rain Sweepers

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance/Low Kick
-Aqua Jet
Pros:
1) Kabutops has infinite offensive coverage with Waterfall and Stone Edge. Literally nothing resists both stabs other than Keldeo and Ferrothorn.
2) Kabutops has priority in Aqua Jet and can set up on a predict with Swords Dance to pound the other team even harder

Cons
1) Kabutops has to rely on an 80% accuracy move in Stone Edge, which can be costly in some cases.
2) Kabutops cannot run a mixed set like Kingdra can.

Kingdra @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
-Surf
-Dragon Pulse
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor/Ice Beam/HP Fire

Pros:
1) Kingdra has a very good defensive typing. Water and Dragon only has two weaknesses: Fairy and Dragon. Dragon Pokemon can be killed in Rain with Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor and Fairy pokes do not resist Surf/Hydro Pump.
2) It has the opportunity to run a mixed set if it chooses to.
3) 80/95/95 bulk proves invaluable to a sweeper.

Cons
1) It has a hard time with Chansey, and requires a wall breaker on the team for effective performance.
2) Kingdra has to rely on Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor to get through the bulkiest of Pokemon which can prove very costly in a late game situation.

Kingdra and Kabutops are not competing for a teamslot. Kingdra is used as a Special sweeper and Kabutops is used as a Physical sweeper. There's a reason why they were both a part of the infamous KingColoTops core in Gen 5.

Got another one that I feel had to be said
Scizor vs. Escavalier as Bug-Steel Assault Vest User

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit / Knock Off
- Superpower / Knock Off

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Knock Off / Pursuit

Scizor's Pros
  • Access to Priority Bullet Punch
  • U-Turn for pivoting
  • Overall is more unpredictable with many viable Scizor sets
  • Pursuit can OHKO Latias
  • Superpower can punish Switch-ins
Escavalier's Pros
  • STAB Megahorn hits way harder than anything Scizor can do.
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 324-384 (95 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 440-522 (129 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • Drill Run can punish switch-ins
  • Escavalier is also more bulky than Scizor on both sides.

Conclusion

Escavalier and Scizor are both very different even as Scizor is a swiss army knife that can fit well into most situations and offer lots of utility with pursuit trapping, pivoting and priority while Escavalier is like well a regular knife good for stabbing stuff and is generally more durable but lacks the utility Scizor provides. Both are solid choices and both look really cool.

Edit: 200th post :)

Edit #2: Fixed it

Last edited:

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Sure. You don't need to reserve anything, though, just post it when it's written.

Basically just pointing out an inaccuracy here.

1) Kabutops has infinite offensive coverage with Waterfall and Stone Edge. Literally nothing resists both stabs other than Keldeo and Ferrothorn.
While the following list of Pokemon isn't made of Pokemon you'll often see in OU (or even all viable Pokemon in OU,) they all resist Water/Rock coverage.

Breloom, Virizion, Poliwrath, Storm Drain Gastrodon, Water Absorb Quagsire, Water Absorb Seismitoad, Dry Skin Toxicroak, and Empoleon.

Mega Charizard Y vs Landorus-I as Special wall breakers

006-my.png

Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost / Dragon Pulse

Pros:
  • Raw power - Between Sun boosted Fire Blast, and great coverage from Solarbeam, and Focus Blast almost nothing wants to switch into Charizard-Y.
  • Drought - Aside from 1-turn Solarbeams and making its Fire Blasts ridiculous, Drought gives Charizard-Y and its team pseudo protection from Water attacks.
  • Good Special bulk - Natch
  • The threat of Charizard X - Because Charizard has two megas, an opponent might switch their Charizard-X counters into Charizard-Y. Since Charizard-X's main counters are physically defensive ground types and Azumarill, Charizard-Y can take advantage of that and hit them with Solarbeam. However, this might not always work out since many Charizard-Y teams tend to follow a similar archetype (Defogger, Pursuit user/Aegislash to handle the Latis, Fighting type to handle Chansey, etc.) so some players will be able to tell right away which Charizard it is.
Cons:
  • 4x Stealth Rock weakness - Can be mitigated with Roost but leaves it walled by Lati@s and Dragonite. Any team with Charizard-Y should have a way to deal with hazards, with or without Roost.
  • Can't reliably get through Chansey - Charizard-Y has no good options to beat Chansey with, making it one of its few counters. Yes, Flare Blitz can 2HKO Chansey but to do that it needs to almost fully invest in Attack and basically suicide itself from the recoil damage. It just isn't worth it, in my opinion.
  • Predictable - Charizard-Y's unpredictability stops cold after its mega evolving turn. There isn't much that it can run outside of this set. Earthquake is an option for getting past Heatran and Chandelure but Focus Blast already 2HKOs Heatran and Chandelure is uncommon. Flare Blitz a shit.

645.png

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Knock Off/Sludge Wave/Stealth Rock

Pros:
  • No Stealth Rock weakness - Landorus only takes 12.5% damage from Stealth Rock so it doesn't need a team mate to remove Stealth Rock for it at all times like Charizard-Y does.
  • Immunity to Thunder Wave - You obviously don't want to switch into something like Thundurus but it's useful for certain things that carry Thunder Wave like Deo-D, Ferrothorn, and the blobs.
  • Faster - Landorus's speed tier is just trolly enough to outspeed the base 100s which is always nice.
  • Bulkier on the Physical side - Words.
  • Similar power - Between Sheer Force and Life Orb, Landorus actually outdamages all of Charizard-Y's attacks except for dat Drought boosted Fire Blast. But even though Landorus's Earth Power is weaker it still does about 70% as much as a Sun boosted Fire Blast does on a neutral target so it shouldn't be taken lightly.
  • Versatility - This is Landorus's main selling point and the main reason why I personally think it's the better of the two. Knock Off/Sludge Wave/Stealth Rock are the most common moves for the fourth moveslot but they only scratch the surface of what Landorus can do.
-Knock Off - allows Landorus to get rid of Chansey's Eviolite and 2HKO with Focus Blast. Also hits the Latis hard on the switch.
-Sludge Wave - useful for getting rid of Clefable and Sylveon and is the best option for certain pokemon like Draonite and the Latis
-Stealth Rock - Barney! Come back here with my Sneaky Pebbles!
-Gravity - let's it OHKO many pokemon with Earth Power it normally can't like Rotom-W, Zapdos, Skarmory, Charizard-Y, and Air Balloon Heatran/Excadrill/Aegislash. Also makes Focus Blast 100% accurate.
-Calm Mind - At +1/+1 it can 2HKO Chansey without Knock Off and survives attacks like Hydro Pump from Rotom-W, HP Ice from Thundurus, and Draco Meteor from Latios.
-U-Turn - Daddy needs to pass his road test.
-Hidden Power Ice - specifically for opposing Landorus I/T, Gliscor, Dragonite, and Garchomp.
-Rock Polish - gotta go fast.​
Cons:
  • 4x Ice weakness
  • Has a tougher time dealing with bulky waters than Charizard-Y - Landorus can 2HKO most bulky waters but has to worry about taking Scalds/Hydro Pumps/Ice Beams. Charizard-Y doesn't have that problem since it has Solarbeam and Drought weakening Water attacks for it.
  • Lack of Recovery - Landorus is bulky enough to take weak or moderately powerful attacks but doing so makes it easier to revenge kill it and limits its staying power. This is particularly bad for sets that use a setup move like Gravity, Rock Polish, and Calm Mind because they give the opponent an opportunity for a free hit. This is all largely true for Charizard-Y too but it can at least patch up this problem with Roost while Landorus can not.

Last edited:
Mega Pinsir vs. Mega Charizard X as Physical Sweepers.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Return
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Hyper Cutter / Moxie
item: Pinsirite
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 4: Roost / Earthquake
ability: Blaze
item: Charizardite-X
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Pinsir's Pros
  • Mega Pinsir doesn't rely on recoil moves or lock-in moves during his sweep.
  • Access to 78 Base Power Priority boosted by a very powerful busty base 155 attack. In short, Pinsir can revenge kill well.
  • Flying/Ground has amazing super effective and neutral coverage as shown here.
  • Sits at an above average speed tier at 105 allowing him to naturally outrun base 100s such as Landorus-I, Medicham, Garchomp, Mega Gardevoir, Charizard, Volcarona, and Manaphy.
  • Return has 198.9 Base Power and no Drawbacks.
  • Only 25% weakness to Stealth Rock in base form rather than 50%. Immunity to Spikes after Mega Evolving.
  • With Hyper Cutter base Pinsir has a buffer against common Intimidate switch-ins such as Lando-T and can pull-off Swords Dance boosts due to that.
Pinsir's Cons
  • Mega Pinsir is frail and has 4 common 2x weaknesses (Fire, Ice, Flying, Electricity) and a huge 4x weakness to Rock (which applies to Stealth Rock).
  • Only has one viable set. (Close Combat can be subbed for Earthquake, but then you can't hit Aegislash)
  • No Immunities to status.
  • Lacks a way to boost speed, which means Priority must be used for anything faster than 105 speed.
  • Countered by Skarmory and Zapdos, and hindered by Rotom, which means Pinsir is troubled by very common defensive threats.
  • Is fodder to Talonflame, one of the most common revenge killers in the tier, and hard checked by the very common Thundurus. In addition, iPinsir is handled by many common scarfers meant to check Char X.

Charizard X's Pros
  • Boasts a very bulky 111 Defense with resistances to Electricity, Fire (4x), Grass (4x), Steel, and Bug.
  • Charizard is no offensive slouch with Tough Claws boosted Flare Blitz and Outrage at 234 Base Power (156 BP for Dragon Claw)
  • Access to recovery through Roost.
  • Is versatile, and can run a variety of different sets such as Offensive Dragon Dance, Bulky Dragon Dance, and Bulky Will-O-Wisp
  • Can boost attack and speed with Dragon Dance
  • Immunity to Burn, which is what every physical sweeper in existence wants.
  • Only 25% weakness to Stealth Rock after Mega Evolving.
  • Fire STAB is an excellent tool since defensive behemoths such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizor are weak to fire. In short, X annihilates key members of defensive cores.
Charizard X's Cons
  • Sits in a very crowded speed tier of base 100.
  • Lacks Priority
  • Susceptible to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock
  • Weak to the ever-common EdgeQuake combo
  • Reliance on recoil moves and lock-in moves for best damage. (Dragon Claw can be subbed for Outrage but the loss of power is extremely noticeable)
Which one is better?

Mega Pinsir and Charizard X are very good physical sweepers in their own right. You should choose the one that you want to build your team around because they are both excellent win conditions.

Last edited:
Rechi As a long time lando-i user (specifically, gravity lando-i), I feel that his general frailty should be mentioned. His offensive presence is to be feared, and he forces many swaps, but I have found that if I mispredict and try to setup gravity in front of a defensive mon and they call my bluff, I wind up losing nearly half of my health, and lando's health is a very valuable asset because he has just enough bulk to take a weak or moderately powered attack, meaning that a half health lando is much more revengeable then a full health lando.

To illustrate:

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 118-139 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's a lot of damage from setup bait. Granted, you get to one shot it after you setup gravity, but it's still a decent amount of damage.

Also, lando's immunity to t-wave should be mentioned, as that's significant with all the thundy's running around (not that lando wants to swap into thundy or anything).

Rechi As a long time lando-i user (specifically, gravity lando-i), I feel that his general frailty should be mentioned. His offensive presence is to be feared, and he forces many swaps, but I have found that if I mispredict and try to setup gravity in front of a defensive mon and they call my bluff, I wind up losing nearly half of my health, and lando's health is a very valuable asset because he has just enough bulk to take a weak or moderately powered attack, meaning that a half health lando is much more revengeable then a full health lando.

To illustrate:

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 118-139 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's a lot of damage from setup bait. Granted, you get to one shot it after you setup gravity, but it's still a decent amount of damage.

Also, lando's immunity to t-wave should be mentioned, as that's significant with all the thundy's running around (not that lando wants to swap into thundy or anything).
Just edited my post, you made some pretty good points. I changed the "general frailty" bit to "lack of Recovery" because a lot of what you said applies to Charizard-Y as well but it can get around that issue with Roost while Landorus can't.

Rechi ur prolly right, I just focused on lando simply because I know him a heck of a lot better then I know zard-y. Also, unlike lando, zard-y doesn't really have any setup moves, so people are less likely to call your bluff simply because you don't really have a bluff in the first place. Your only option is to attempt to hit the swap in hard.

Clefable Vs. Sylveon as Fairy-Type Clerics

Words
Meh... I doubt you've ever tried wish passing to teammates with Clefable... it is nigh impossible due to the lack of bulk. Sylveon forces switches and so doesn't take damage on wish turns as often, meaning it doesn't struggle to recover others due to having to recover itself... Clefable just takes so much damage so quickly it can't afford to pass off to teammates nearly as easily.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Clefable Vs. Sylveon as Fairy-Type Clerics

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/ 4 S Def
IVs: 0 Atk
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
-Moonblast
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 S Atk
IVs: 0 Atk
Ability: Pixilate
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

Clefable's Advantages:
  • Unaware. Honestly the main reason to use Clefable over Sylveon. Ignoring all stat boosts is huge especially when faced with powerful set up sweepers (Magic Guard is a great ability as well but is pretty niche compared to Unaware)
  • Slightly better physical bulk (Base 73 Def compared to base 65)
  • Better movepool(has access to flamethrower and thunder wave)
Sylveon's Advantages:
  • Considerably better special bulk
  • Hits considerably harder with Hyper Voice(Pixelate + 110 S Atk)
Overall, Clefable is better, but only because of Unaware and access to Thunder Wave, otherwise Sylveon is better in every other category.
Meh... I doubt you've ever tried wish passing to teammates with Clefable... it is nigh impossible due to the lack of bulk. Sylveon forces switches and so doesn't take damage on wish turns as often, meaning it doesn't struggle to recover others due to having to recover itself... Clefable just takes so much damage so quickly it can't afford to pass off to teammates nearly as easily.
I haven't used Clefable as a Wish passer myself, so I can't really make a verdict on this one. Could other people weigh in please?

IMO, Clefable is a pretty viable cleric. While Clefable may not pass wishes as well as Sylveon due to its average special bulk, it can pull of an emergency Heal Bell or T-Wave much easier due to Unaware. After all, passing wishes isn't the only thing a cleric must do. And yes, I have wish passed with both Clefable and Sylveon before. In most cases, Clefable did as well as Sylveon and even saved me from losing by healing a burn late game on my Scarf Excadrill against a +1 speed Mega Tyranitar(Unfortunately, no replay was saved 'cause I was being a nub). That's something Sylveon wouldn't have been able to do. The extra special bulk of Sylveon does allow it to switch into powerful special attackers like Specs Keldeo much better than Clefable, but Clefable definitely has its merits. I will definitely add what you said about two though.

I haven't used Clefable as a Wish passer myself, so I can't really make a verdict on this one. Could other people weigh in please?
I have used Clefable as a cleric before, and here are my opinions on the matter:
- The only reason to use clefable is Unaware. Besides that, there are much better clerics to choose from.
- I am not going to sugar-coat it. Its wishes are borderline pathetic.
- It also does not have the greatest bulk or offenses, which means it will spend more time taking damage and less time actually healing its teammates.

That being said, it's not like Clefable is unviable in OU, rather, the opposite. It is incredibly important thanks to its Unaware ability. But sadly I find its clerical abilities lacking due to the lack of oomph in its wishes, its bulk, and its raw power.

MEGA SCIZOR VS MEGA PENISIR

Scizor pros:
- 150 base physical attack stat
- Has an amazing priority STAB in the form of Technician boosted Bullet Punch
- Great defensively, with only one weakness (Fire) and 80/140/100 bulk
- Has a great boosting move (Swords Dance)
- Neutral damage to SR

Standard:

Mega Scizor @ Scizorite
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Pinsir Penisir pros:
- Great ability (Aeriliate) that boosts moves such as Return and Quick Attack
- Also has Swords Dance as a boosting move
- High Speed
- Its pre-evolved form has moxie, so getting a revenge kill can be useful

Standard:

Mega Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aeriliate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Conclusion:

Personally, I think Mega Scizor beats Mega Pinsir. Mega Scizor has better defensive qualities as well as an even higher attack stat. Mega Scizor also doesn't have a SR weakness as horrifying as Mega Pinsir's (4x, ew). Despite being much quicker than Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir has trouble facing scarfers, as a +2 Quick Attack is the only way to get past them. Mega Scizor also has Roost, which gives it reliable recovery. All in all, I feel Mega Scizor is better than Mega Pinsir.

mowtom pls do i pass??/????/?//?/??
Minor thing, I believe Mega-Pinsir's most common set has earthquake instead of close combat. Also, Pinsir and Scizor are too different to be compared IMO. They're both bug types, but they're used very differently.

I have used Clefable as a cleric before, and here are my opinions on the matter:
- The only reason to use clefable is Unaware. Besides that, there are much better clerics to choose from.
- I am not going to sugar-coat it. Its wishes are borderline pathetic.
- It also does not have the greatest bulk or offenses, which means it will spend more time taking damage and less time actually healing its teammates.

That being said, it's not like Clefable is unviable in OU, rather, the opposite. It is incredibly important thanks to its Unaware ability. But sadly I find its clerical abilities lacking due to the lack of oomph in its wishes, its bulk, and its raw power.
I agree with this. I also think a more accurate cleric comparison would be Sylveon vs. Chansey, as both fulfill their clerical duties quite well. Sylveon, while the wishes are smaller, actually has offensive presence; Chansey sponges hits better at the cost of being complete setup bait.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got another one that I feel had to be said
Scizor vs. Escavalier as Bug-Steel Assault Vest User

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit / Bug Bite / Aerial Ace

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Knock Off / Pursuit

Scizor's Pros
  • Access to Priority Bullet Punch
  • U-Turn for pivoting
  • I guess Scizor's more unpredictable and is faster (there isn't much significant stuff between 20 and 65)
Escavalier's Pros
  • STAB Megahorn hits way harder than anything Scizor can do.
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 324-384 (95 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 440-522 (129 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Its not even a contest...
  • Drill Run can punish switch-ins way harder than Scizor.
  • Escavalier is also more bulky than Scizor on both sides.

Conclusion

When looking this over I realized that Vest Escavalier is so much better than Vest Scizor in most scenarios, unless you are in desperate need of a U-turner and prioirty bullet punch, Assault Vest Escavalier > Assault Vest Scizor because of the much higher damage output, better coverage in drill run and overall better bulk while looking just as cool.

Edit: 200th post :)
I'll agree that Escavalier has the better stats for the role, but's better at it? Not by a long shot. Scizor's movepool is completely superior for an AV attacker because it packs utility in addition to pure power. You're truly downplaying how clutch U-turn's pivot is (not to mention how much better Tech Bug Bite is than Mega Miss Horn) to a poke limited to attacking. Add in Bullet Punch's priority and you've got a Swiss Army knife that can take the meta apart. Esca's just a canon with zero means of sweeping.

I also find it hilarious how much you toute Drill Run's coverage when Scizor's Superpower accomplishes much the same, but with better power (AV pokes have to switch out frequently so the stat drops aren't that big a deal).

Also forgetting that Scizor's Pursuit is better because it gets the Technician boost if they don't switch, making it much more threatening.

I'm not saying Escavalier isn't interesting, but overall AV Scizor is more versatile, useful more often, and simply better suited for the OU meta. Concluding Escavalier is "so much better" at the AV set is completely laughable.

I'll agree that Escavalier has the better stats for the role, but's better at it? Not by a long shot. Scizor's movepool is completely superior for an AV attacker because it packs utility in addition to pure power. You're truly downplaying how clutch U-turn's pivot is (not to mention how much better Tech Bug Bite is than Mega Miss Horn) to a poke limited to attacking. Add in Bullet Punch's priority and you've got a Swiss Army knife that can take the meta apart. Esca's just a canon with zero means of sweeping.

I also find it hilarious how much you toute Drill Run's coverage when Scizor's Superpower accomplishes much the same, but with better power (AV pokes have to switch out frequently so the stat drops aren't that big a deal).

Also forgetting that Scizor's Pursuit is better because it gets the Technician boost if they don't switch, making it much more threatening.

I'm not saying Escavalier isn't interesting, but overall AV Scizor is more versatile, useful more often, and simply better suited for the OU meta. Concluding Escavalier is "so much better" at the AV set is completely laughable.
You bring up some good points, I'll admit I was being kinda dismissive of AV Scizor, but there are a few things I take issue with.

It is ridiculous to say that Scizor's 90 BP bug bite coming off of 120 attack is > Escavalier's 120 BP Megahorn coming off of 135 attack I don't think any player would trade 30 base power (including STAB bonus its 45) for 15% accuracy though it may feel like it when Escavalier misses a crucial hit it isn't hydro pump where its 20 BP being exchanged for 20% accuracy.

I did forget about Superpower, but I'm just wondering where do you think it should go as Bullet Punch and U-Turn are unreplacable. Take out Knock Off and Scizor loses the ability to indescrimantly cripple mons, take out bug bite and you lose your strong STAB there is a trade off to running Superpower. Pursuit is important too.

Also about the Pursuit I should add that as it is significant as Scizor's pursuit can OHKO Latias while Escavalier's can't. I'll adjust accordingly, by the way as I probably will mess this up if you don't tell what moves should AV Scizor run something like this?

Scizor @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Pursuit / Superpower / Bug Bite

Edit: Sorry I have to go right now I'll fix my original post when I get back.

Edit 2: Finally got time to fix this XD

Last edited:
Kingdra and Kabutops are not competing for a teamslot. Kingdra is used as a Special sweeper and Kabutops is used as a Physical sweeper. There's a reason why they were both a part of the infamous KingColoTops core in Gen 5.
Ah yes you are correct, misunderstood what the thread was asking for. Completely my bad

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You bring up some good points, I'll admit I was being kinda dismissive of AV Scizor, but there are a few things I take issue with.

It is ridiculous to say that Scizor's 90 BP bug bite coming off of 120 attack is > Escavalier's 120 BP Megahorn coming off of 135 attack I don't think any player would trade 30 base power (including STAB bonus its 45) for 15% accuracy though it may feel like it when Escavalier misses a crucial hit it isn't hydro pump where its 20 BP being exchanged for 20% accuracy.

I did forget about Superpower, but I'm just wondering where do you think it should go as Bullet Punch and U-Turn are unreplacable. Take out Knock Off and Scizor loses the ability to indescrimantly cripple mons, take out bug bite and you lose your strong STAB there is a trade off to running Superpower. Pursuit is important too.

Also about the Pursuit I should add that as it is significant as Scizor's pursuit can OHKO Latias while Escavalier's can't. I'll adjust accordingly, by the way as I probably will mess this up if you don't tell what moves should AV Scizor run something like this?

Scizor @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Edit: Sorry I have to go right now I'll fix my original post when I get back.
For some reason I thought Megahorn was 70-75 acc (maybe it misses just that much for me). With 85acc, it is better than bug bite in general, but not by a wide margine.

One thing that should be emphasized here is that a Pokemon should not be penalized here for having MORE good options for the set-- more options is always better. Knock Off, Pursuit, and Superpower will always be vying for a position.

I'd say Pursuit + Superpower will likely be Scizor's most common last 2 slots because U-turn gives you a very spammable move that also has similar coverage to Knock Off (bug + dark is semi repetitive). All 3 moves get a slash, with knock off as the third slash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)