Project The PU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My problem with the list of damage calcs is that it ignores the large list of defensive mons that can easily take hits from Mighteyana, and personally I've never had a problem with that because most don't carry pursuit to guarantee a moxie boost. Lots of things like Serperior, Lickilicky, Golem, Hippopotas, Pelipper, Avalugg, etc can handle it (sorry for lack of calcs, but on mobile device) and phase or kill it. My issue is that it needs a +1 boost to even take out a 4 defense Marowak. Yes you have to play it right late game for it to work, I've just never had an issue. That being said, I'm willing to admit that it doesn't deserve to drop below Arbok and Keckleon, but putting it on the same level as Basculin might be too much. I guess I'll have to go build a team around mighteyana now.
Tl;dr a drop might not be necessary, but a boost is probably pushing it
The mons you mention really dont handle is well. Firstly, avalugg beats 90% of the tiers attackers, even then, specially defensive avalugg (its better set), has problems consistantly switching in (it looses 60% of health from + 1 crunch + rocks, or 75 % from two non boosted crunches + rocks). Golem takes >50% from a +1 crunch, which isnt hard considering it usually used as a lead, hippo takes even more from +1 crunch (about 60%). Both pelipper and licky lose >50% from a +1 crunch. Serperior gets 2HKO's by unboosted crunch. This is actually quite a lot of damage considering it is to the most physically bulky pokes in the tier and you also have to consider (as the leprechuan said) that these poke wont be at full health; you are not sweeping with mightyena turn1. Also the teams mightyena is put on are ones which try and weaken down the opposition for it to sweep, whether it is spike stacking, or multiple offensive threats (tauros, heatmor, etc). Mightyena also has a better match up vs offensive teams; where they dont have physical tanks like avalugg, they have frail mons that dislike taking unboosted hits. As a HO player mightyena is one of the biggest threats to my team, as if it gets a moxie boost mid game it can sweep with little prediction.

It is much better than basculin, who, imo, is one of the worst mons in b+. If your comparing it to anything in b+ it should be something like simipour, who is also a late game sweeper. Simipour has higher speed and a guaranteed boost move with nasty plot, however, is still outsped by common stuff (like tauros), lacks priority (which can also be helpful outside of sweeping) and it isnt easy to set up with simipour due to low defenses

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The mons you mention really dont handle is well. Firstly, avalugg beats 90% of the tiers attackers, even then, specially defensive avalugg (its better set), has problems consistantly switching in (it looses 60% of health from + 1 crunch + rocks, or 75 % from two non boosted crunches + rocks). Golem takes >50% from a +1 crunch, which isnt hard considering it usually used as a lead, hippo takes even more from +1 crunch (about 60%). Both pelipper and licky lose >50% from a +1 crunch. Serperior gets 2HKO's by unboosted crunch. This is actually quite a lot of damage considering it is to the most physically bulky pokes in the tier and you also have to consider (as the leprechuan said) that these poke wont be at full health; you are not sweeping with mightyena turn1. Also the teams mightyena is put on are ones which try and weaken down the opposition for it to sweep, whether it is spike stacking, or multiple offensive threats (tauros, heatmor, etc). Mightyena also has a better match up vs offensive teams; where they dont have physical tanks like avalugg, they have frail mons that dislike taking unboosted hits. As a HO player mightyena is one of the biggest threats to my team, as if it gets a moxie boost mid game it can sweep with little prediction.

It is much better than basculin, who, imo, is one of the worst mons in b+. If your comparing it to anything in b+ it should be something like simipour, who is also a late game sweeper. Simipour has higher speed and a guaranteed boost move with nasty plot, however, is still outsped by common stuff (like tauros), lacks priority (which can also be helpful outside of sweeping) and it isnt easy to set up with simipour due to low defenses
My point was that, when deprived of a moxie boost, mighteyana is easily controllable, and despite playing PU since it came out I've never had any issues facing it. However, I'm going to go build a team with it right now and see how it does, and maybe it does deserve a boost (in rankings and moxie), I've never actually used it myself and maybe I've only faced mediocre played using it.

Well, i give him a try again and i need to say it, was disappointing.
I already know how strong him is and all the others things, my problem isnt that.
Sucker Punch can be cool and all, but you need to use it against pretty much everything, meanwhile Sneasel can just spam Knock Off agaisnt most of them, the only relevants mons than you hit with Sucker Punch than Sneasel cannot hit with Knock Off are Scarf Rotom-F, Zebstrika and Electrode, and all of them can be checked by the same mon, Sneasel does not need much support for that. (Not counting Scarf Tauros cause Intimidate and Scarf Haunter take a ton from Ice Shard anyway).
Play Rough is a nice thing over Sneasel. And predict switch can be easily with Mighty, most opponents try to evade Sucker Punch and end taken a Crunch. But at the end, i would rathen spam Knock Off, i do not need to predict, and the lose the pasive recovery from Leftovers is bad for Poli (and Avalugg). Or just SD in the switch, Evio Sneasel have more bulk than Mighty and that means more chances to set up.
And i do not see the point in saying than you are top1, this ladder is easy, with saying than you have a good amount of experience with him was enough.

I feel that the only two that don't belong as low as they do are the other forms of gourgeist (regular and large). why are these guys ranked down with crap like Slaking and Watchog? Sure they're obviously outclassed by their other forms, but E? Look at their stats!

I nominate Gourgeist and Gourgeist-Large from E to D

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I feel that the only two that don't belong as low as they do are the other forms of gourgeist (regular and large). why are these guys ranked down with crap like Slaking and Watchog? Sure they're obviously outclassed by their other forms, but E? Look at their stats!

I nominate Gourgeist and Gourgeist-Large from E to D
There is 0 reason to use those two over either Gourgeist-Small or Gourgeist-Super, so they're not viably competitive. They're not partially outclassed -- they are DIRECTLY outclassed by their other formes. As such, they should be ranked in E, because no one in their right mind would use either of them.

I just feel that E is too harsh. I agree that they are outclassed, but they are just far better Pokemon than all the ones that are in E rank right now. Would anybody in their right mind use pokes in D rank either? No.

Maybe I'm just biased because I think Gourgeist's design is amazing, and its halloween, but I digress.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I just feel that E is too harsh. I agree that they are outclassed, but they are just far better Pokemon than all the ones that are in E rank right now. Would anybody in their right mind use pokes in D rank either? No.

Maybe I'm just biased because I think Gourgeist's design is amazing, and its halloween, but I digress.
Pokémon in D-Rank are in there because they have some kind of gimmick or niche, such as Natu (shit Pokémon, but can be effective thanks to Magic Bounce with a hell of a lot of support). Gourgeist and Gourgeist-Large aren't even as good as Natu in terms of this thread, which is D-.

Talking about Pokemon in E Rank...

Slaking from E --> D-

Now you may be thinking 'Byron you're crazy! Slaking's got that horrible ability Truant! So if someone were to Protect or switch in to an immune move, you'd be stuck for one more turn or you'd have to switch!' But the thing is, if they Protect or switch, you can get yourself a free switch-in anyways if you're good at predictions. Plus, it can actually reach 328 Spe, which is quite nice for a fat pokemon that lazes around every other turn.

Slaking is quite possibly the strongest revenge killer in PU with base stats of 160 Atk and 100 Spe. Now it does need a bit of support, but after one of your pokes have fainted... What I like to do is use a Choice Band set (because you'll be switching next turn) and go for a Retaliate. That's after a poke has fainted 140 Power! Double that with a monstrous attack that and nice speed and you've got a poke that can OHKO quite a lot of the meta. It also gets Hammer Arm and Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Pursuit to handle Rock, Steel and Ghost types! With this set (there's others too) Slaking is a decent threat to the meta. And that's why this Pokemon shouldn't be in E rank. Simple as.

Talking about Pokemon in E Rank...

Slaking from E --> D-

Now you may be thinking 'Byron you're crazy! Slaking's got that horrible ability Truant! So if someone were to Protect or switch in to an immune move, you'd be stuck for one more turn or you'd have to switch!' But the thing is, if they Protect or switch, you can get yourself a free switch-in anyways if you're good at predictions. Plus, it can actually reach 328 Spe, which is quite nice for a fat pokemon that lazes around every other turn.

Slaking is quite possibly the strongest revenge killer in PU with base stats of 160 Atk and 100 Spe. Now it does need a bit of support, but after one of your pokes have fainted... What I like to do is use a Choice Band set (because you'll be switching next turn) and go for a Retaliate. That's after a poke has fainted 140 Power! Double that with a monstrous attack that and nice speed and you've got a poke that can OHKO quite a lot of the meta. It also gets Hammer Arm and Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Pursuit to handle Rock, Steel and Ghost types! With this set (there's others too) Slaking is a decent threat to the meta. And that's why this Pokemon shouldn't be in E rank. Simple as.
The atrocious downside that Slaking inevitably brings cannot simply be mitigated by being "good at predictions". No matter what, if you're attacking, your opponent gets at least one completely free turn of setup (and if you're not attacking, why the hell are you using Slaking?). If you kill something, your opponent gets a free switch-in to the Pokémon of their choice followed by a completely free Shell Smash or Swords Dance or Nasty Plot. If they have Substitute or Protect, you can do literally nothing but switch out, which a good player will be able to see coming most of the time. You mention Slaking's coverage in the form of Hammer Arm and Night Slash to punish Ghosts and Rocks and Steels, but you don't consider the singularly high cost of misprediction! If you go for Hammer Arm predicting my switch to Bastiodon but I go to Scyther instead, I now get a free SD. You can say that this situation is avoided by proper prediction, but any competent player will be able to play around Slaking like this a good chunk of the time, creating setup opportunities, because Slaking is extremely one-dimensional. I honestly think that you might be better off with a five-mon team than with Slaking.

TL;DR: Slaking is too easy to play around, creating free turns of setup, and on the off chance that it successfully kills something, hey look! I get to bring in my Life Orb Barbaracle and smash literally for free! Bad. Slaking bad.

IMO, whats keeping Lumineon from being in D-rank territory? While it is decently fast and has Defog, it is outclassed at its role of a Water-type Defogger by Mantine, Pelipper, Swanna and even Prinplup. It has lackluster stats aside from speed and it simply is pretty bad in the tier. Why it has 4% usage (Higher than actually good Pokemon like Kricketune, Roselia and Misdreavus) I don't know.

(Tried to make a nomination but sorry if my reasons were flawed)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IMO, whats keeping Lumineon from being in D-rank territory? While it is decently fast and has Defog, it is outclassed at its role of a Water-type Defogger by Mantine, Pelipper, Swanna and even Prinplup. It has lackluster stats aside from speed and it simply is pretty bad in the tier. Why it has 4% usage (Higher than actually good Pokemon like Kricketune, Roselia and Misdreavus) I don't know.

(Tried to make a nomination but sorry if my reasons were flawed)
It's not weak to SR and Golem like the first three, and faster than Prinplup so it can get off a Defog quicker, plus gets lefties over it. In general it's probably worse than Prinplup but less people know Prinplup exists, which is why its usage is so good (and don't use usage as an argument because Ariados has more NU usage than sneasel lol)

baby hippo from B to B+

it's not as useful on sand teams as stoutland, sure, but it and stoutland are absolutely mandatory teammates. yes, you can use stoutland outside of sand, but why would you want to? it has a few things over other normals, but those are better in so many other ways that i can't see why you would use stoutland instead. while stoutland may be usable outside of sand, it would be nowhere near b+ rank without it. while stoutland is obviously better than hippo on these teams, hippo still isn't useless outside of setting sand, as it gets sr and can actually switch into a few things. since stoutland and hippo are for the most part only good when used on the same team, naturally they are just as viable as one another.

beheeyem from B- to B+

one of the mons that was previously horribly overshadowed by musharna. this thing is insanely strong. analytic specs 2hkoes lickilicky, ohkos random bulky neutrals like gourgeist-xl and camerupt, etc (this is all without any hazards whatsoever). otr is probably good too but i haven't seen or used it. its low speed, underwhelming bulk, and mediocre defensive typing keep it from being any higher though.

pelipper from B+ to A-

spikes are king in pu, and pelipper is one of the best ways to remove them. pelipper is the best defensive defogger outside of maybe togetic. its access to reliable recovery is a huge advantage over mantine, as well as the fact that its typing is better physically defensively than specially defensively. it's also one of the best switch-ins to poliwrath and to a lesser extent throh, which is pretty huge, while its great defensive typing also lets it wall a bunch of threats like piloswine. just a really good mon rn and definitely deserving of A- rank.

Clamperl from Unlisted --> C. Now before I become the laughing stock of the PU Ladder, let me explain why I believe Clamperl serves as a viable niche mon in the PU meta. The two main selling points of Clamperl are 1. It's the only mon in PU that serves as a special shell smasher. 2. It's signature item "DeepSeaTooth" doubles it special attack bringing it to an astonishing 988 sp.atk stat after a shell smash boost. And that's if you're running Timid.

It does have a lot of drawbacks as it's a first stage evolution so it's overall stats are quite low. It's decent defensive bulk looks usable but is completely negated by that base 35 HP stat. It also struggles against fast Pokemon and Scarfers even after a smash boost(Sneasel and Raichu, respectively.)

Even with all of these negatives, with some team support I believe it is a solid Pokemon in PU that deserves a spot in the viability rankings.

Clamperl from Unlisted --> C. Now before I become the laughing stock of the PU Ladder, let me explain why I believe Clamperl serves as a viable niche mon in the PU meta. The two main selling points of Clamperl are 1. It's the only mon in PU that serves as a special shell smasher. 2. It's signature item "DeepSeaTooth" doubles it special attack bringing it to an astonishing 988 sp.atk stat after a shell smash boost. And that's if you're running Timid.

It does have a lot of drawbacks as it's a first stage evolution so it's overall stats are quite low. It's decent defensive bulk looks usable but is completely negated by that base 35 HP stat. It also struggles against fast Pokemon and Scarfers even after a smash boost(Sneasel and Raichu, respectively.)

Even with all of these negatives, with some team support I believe it is a solid Pokemon in PU that deserves a spot in the viability rankings.
I second the motion to move Clamperl from Unlisted to C. Clamperl has pretty bad defense, hp, and speed, but overall it serves its role as a special sweeper. Team support is required for Clamperl, but that holds true to all C rank mons. Overall, giving Clamperl some team support to remove fast scarfers + mantine and 1 free turn makes it a huge threat, which is why I also think that it is worthy of C Rank.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with putting clamperl on the ranks at all, as although it boosts amazingly high special attack it has a difficulty setting up, as well as a low speed tier and it still cant break through walls. Clamperl loses to base 100 and up and every choice scarfer after a smash, so every offensive team can easily stop it. It lacks priority like carracosta so requires huge amounts of team support just to ko faster pokes. Its niche for its huge power isnt enough as it doesnt have the ability to OHKO special walls such as Lickilicky. Overall it is a mediocre choice as smashing is done better by carracosta and barbaracle

Serperior to A+. I know it just got raised but it is one of the best pokemon in this meta right now, i can even see it in S-rank. Firstly, its high speed allows it to become one of the fastest relevant pokes (unfortunately loses to sneasel), and also allows it to successfully pull off offensive set up sweeping with calm mind and coil. This leads on to its versatility, its poor offensive movepool it made up by its ability to go physical and special screwing over its usual counters (eg knock off bops roselia) and it can even pull off bulky sub seed or fast dual screen sets. Its calm mind set is what makes it so great, as it can be slapped on any team and can function as an amazing win condition. This set can set up on multiple bulky pokemon due to its good defensive stats as well. The only reasons why it im not going for s-rank is because it can be revenge killed by sneasel (if it doesnt have a sub and sneasel is running ice punch), but more importantly, Bouffalant.

Kricketune to A-. Sticky web is not as good as it used to be. Firstly, teams are more prepared, this is to do with the prevalence of suicide leads meaning that more teams are preparing for it by bringing a faster taunter - pokemon such as midreavus even run enough speed just for it. Defogers are also annoying; swanna can outspeed most members as it flies and can OHKO purugly if it decides to switch in. Sticky Web teams also tend to rely on the boost too much, so scarfers and flying types, like rotom/scyther/tauros/haunter can put in a lot of work. Basically, sticky webs just arent as good as they where and kricketune is easier to play around.

Im also going to quote what i have said before because there hasnt been much discussion on them (mainly just about mightyana):
Stuff:
Hippo + stoutland to B+/A- (both of them in the same rank). Sand is an amazing playstyle right now, as with a bit of support, Stoutland can tear apart teams. I have already talked about sand before, but i dont think i mentioned enough about viability. I do know you cant just put a stoutland on a team and expect results, but when you put it on a team with hippo you usually get results. Stoutland vs offensive literally dismantles it, nothing likes switching in, and common offense normal resists get destroyed by coverage (crunch for haunter, superpower for carracosta), and its really hard to revenge kill due to excellent bulk. It, like any other wall breaker, is also a pain for stall. Hippo deserves the same rank because its what makes stoutland threatening, otherwise it is practically a worse bouffalant, which brings me onto my point that they should be the same rank; scrappy/intimidate stoutland would be d-rank, which isnt enough to bump it a rank above hippo.

Clefairy to C+/B-. Im serious, this is the most underrated pokemon in the meta game. It has the ability to set up calm minds on passive shit like lickilicky (dragon tail isnt saving you this time), and although needs a couple boosts in order to hit hard, it can get those boosts. Fairy is a cool typing right now, steel types are average at best (apart from waifudam-t), poison types are ok, garbodor being the only legit one that poses a threat; rose is set up fodder and gets roasted by a flamethrower (arbok also is a slightly relevant threat to it thinking about it). It has decent bulk with eviolite + max defense, and after a few calm mind boosts its hard to break. Toxic spikes support is really effective, preventing things from staying in fishing for a crit and clef can just softboiled as they die from poison. It does have several flaws; relies on its item, HO have reliable ways to beat it, but that is why im nom'ing it for a lowish rank, especcially considering how it can beat defensive/balanced teams with little support.

Id like to nominate Tauros for possibly being S-Rank. This thing is an absolute monster, as it outspeeds pretty much everything, and hits extremely hard with Life Orb Sheer Force. I cant think of anything off the top of my head that isnt 2HKOd, it can even use Fire Blast for Tangela and stuff. Overall I just think its an amazing pokemon, with a great ability, speed, and attack. Id like to see some other opinions on this though.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Metang from B- to B

I dont think it's false to say that Metang is the best Steel-type in PU. The typing is great because it allows Metang to check all Grass-types (nobody runs HP Fire), most Dragon-types, Dodrio, most Normal-types, and most Psychic-types as well. It isn't too shabby offensively (yeah it's weak but not weak to the point where anything can set up on it) and it has priority Bullet Punch which is nice for picking off weakened threats. It fits on teams that require a check to all the aforementioned stuff and a SR user; while Metang can't continuously switch into Spikes + all those threats, it can do it enough times in a match. Definitely warrants a rise imo, if not to B then B+ even.

Barbaracle from A+ to A

Barbaracle is good, but it's not A+ good. Unlike Carracosta it still struggles to set up a lot of the time and yet still cannot get past stuff like Tangela. The higher Speed is cool but it isn't a huge deal when Costa's Adamant Aqua Jet still picks off fast stuff. There aren't many cases in which I would use this over Carracosta. It's simply not as good, and it won't be a top tier threat with Costa hanging around. I actually think it could drop lower but I'm just being conservative with my nomination.

Agreeing with moving Kricketune to A-. Sticky Web is struggling as a playstyle: well-built stall teams can still trouble SW, Defog is almost everywhere, and it is still troubled by flying stuff.

Also agreeing with Beheeyem to B+ and Pelipper to A- as posted by Magnemite.

Vespiquen from E to D

While it may not have the best speed, it has base 102 for both defenses, as well as 70 base HP. Not bad. In addition, it has access to both Heal Order and Defend Order- bolstering its already great defensive stats. It may not be very fast, but thats not necessary for a bulky pokemon. Look at blissey- 55 base speed. The average is 78. Its attack may not be the best, but its certainly viable enough to pass the turns between Heal Orders. In addition, it has Toxic, a common move, yes, but it helps it stall out pokemon that it can't hit very well. The only pokemon i see effectively defeating this mon is one who is either poison or steel type or a pokemon that has access to a rock type move (And can use it effectively, since nearly every pokemon gets hidden power.). Another thing to consider is Fell Stinger- if you get your opponent low enough with Toxic, then you can attack with Fell Stinger, and boost your attack stat, making a second attack move hit harder. All in all, this pokemon truly is a queen (Get it?).

Metang from B- to B

I dont think it's false to say that Metang is the best Steel-type in PU. The typing is great because it allows Metang to check all Grass-types (nobody runs HP Fire), most Dragon-types, Dodrio, most Normal-types, and most Psychic-types as well. It isn't too shabby offensively (yeah it's weak but not weak to the point where anything can set up on it) and it has priority Bullet Punch which is nice for picking off weakened threats. It fits on teams that require a check to all the aforementioned stuff and a SR user; while Metang can't continuously switch into Spikes + all those threats, it can do it enough times in a match. Definitely warrants a rise imo, if not to B then B+ even.
About this post and the one in the main thread:

Metang is a meh normal check in PU, this isnt RU, Crunch>Fire Fang.
252+ Atk Life Orb Stoutland Crunch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Metang: 148-177 (45.8 - 54.7%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Bouffalant Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Metang: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Metang: 159-187 (49.2 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Crunch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Metang: 192-228 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You can check unboosted Purugly, and Dodrio, but you need to take a Knock Off. Is a good answer for Scarf Tauros, non-EQ Bou and Chatot at least.

You take a good amount from Behee too, even without Shadow Ball
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Beheeyem Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Eviolite Metang: 130-153 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Idk about any other relevant offensive psychic-type.

For Grass types, Metang is only a good check for Special Serp, you lose to the Physical Variant. You are not going to check Torterra anytime soon, Victree have Weatherball, you cannot break the sub of Gour-Super and you dont stop Roselia from do her job.

I dont thing than Metang is good in this meta, without Musharna he lose a niche, is a set up fodder for thinks like Simipour and Ninetales, you cannot be sure if he can check the normal/grass/psy than is supossed to check in opponent team, and is a bit pasive.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
B --> B+ So the first nom I wanted to make was to move Camerupt up a level, Camerupt is an extremely powerful lead rock setter in the meta game right now being able to run a cool anti lead set or a rock polish sweeper set and with STAB Fire Blast and Earth Power not much wants to switch in on one of its attacks. Really good in this meta right now.

B --> B+ Magnemite mentioned this in his post above, but I want to reiterate my support for Baby Hippo, right now sand offense is a great playstyle to bring and the support that baby hippo provides by being able to set up the sand automatically is fantastic. It means you have the upper hand against Sun and Rain teams because as soon as their setter pulls up rain you switch into hippo and bring up the sand and then switch out ensuring you have weather and they dont.

C --> B- So this cute little thing is actually incredibly good, surprising I know. I've seen it sweep teams and it ignores hazards, which with all the spike stacking going around is a really nice thing to be able to do. It also has reliable recovery which in a sweeper is fantastic, a rise is warranted imo.

A --> B+ So Anty nommed Kricketune for a drop from A to A- but I think it needs to go even further down to B+. Web offense just isnt very good in this meta with all of the defoggers running around. It is incredibly hard to keep your web setter alive until you have their defogger dead and its fairly easy for the enemy team to get a defog off. Kricketune is by far the best setter, but its not good enough for A in this meta.

Just gonna say some stuff I give support to: Beheeyem rise is warranted, Clamperl should be listed as its incredibly powerful, Serperior rise to A+ could happen as it is quite good and very versatile, Metang rise, and I support a rise for Vespiqeun.

Corphish from unlisted-->d- I think corphish does have a niche as an sd sweeper with priority and knock off. It is majorly limited by some of the popular mons in the tier (serperior, poliwrath, raichu) and is mostly outclassed by carracosta as an aqua jet sweeper, but has the tiniest niche with crab hammer, knock off and adaptability.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Corphish from unlisted-->d- I think corphish does have a niche as an sd sweeper with priority and knock off. It is majorly limited by some of the popular mons in the tier (serperior, poliwrath, raichu) and is mostly outclassed by carracosta as an aqua jet sweeper, but has the tiniest niche with crab hammer, knock off and adaptability.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Just because this is PU and "the worst of the worst" doesnt mean that we should list every NFE with an incredibly small niche. Tbh I find no reason to use it over something like Carracosta or even Kingler. If you wish for it to become unlisted please support your move with a couple of replays of high ladder games with it and a bit more of an argument than it has access to these moves.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Just because this is PU and "the worst of the worst" doesnt mean that we should list every NFE with an incredibly small niche. Tbh I find no reason to use it over something like Carracosta or even Kingler. If you wish for it to become unlisted please support your move with a couple of replays of high ladder games with it and a bit more of an argument than it has access to these moves.
Actually, Phish HAS to have a niche in PU. If some people can use it well in UU (Call me 911) it HAS to have some sort of niche in PU.

Ares

Actually, Phish HAS to have a niche in PU. If some people can use it well in UU (Call me 911) it HAS to have some sort of niche in PU.
Lol, UU is completely irrelevant to Corphish's viability in PU. Just because it fulfills a niche in a different tier doesnt mean it can fill a niche in a lower tier. I'll give you an example, Shuckle was an S rank Pokemon in RU for quite a while before being banned; however, during its stays in NU it was no where near as good because the metas were completely different. Comparing a Pokemon that can check X, Y, and Z in X tier to a role where it doesn't stop anything in Y tier isn't a good argument when attempting to place a Pokemon on a viability ranking. It is also the same that just because X is a higher rank in the viability rankings in a higher tier does not mean it should go up in a lower tier. Also on a side note, good players can make anything work in various tiers, I've made an NU team function in OU against good players, doesnt mean that any of the Pokemon on that NU team should be ranked in the OU viability rankings.

I'm sticking to what I said earlier, until there is proof of Corphish actually fulfilling a large niche in PU, I am of the mind that it should stay unlisted.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, just because it has a "niche" (idk it might be thee only water type with access to priority and knock off) doesn't mean it's worth using. Viability rankings is for listing Pokémon that have niches worth using. Saying it should be listed because it has a niche is like saying that magikarp should be ranked in OU because it has swift swim bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)