The Raging 'Dos

THE DOS PAGE.jpg

Have a Glance:

upload_2014-3-9_15-56-10.gif
upload_2014-3-9_15-57-13.gif

This team's goal is to pave the most easiest path possible for mega gyarados to sweep, as it's quite difficult for mega Dos to sweep from the get-go without enough support to take out a number of threats that trouble the Dos. The team members are here in hopes of check/wall the most prominent mons in OU such as fairies(clefable, mega mawile, azumarill, mega gardy), zard x/y, mega venusaur, etc.

Main Sweeper:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant 80Hp 252Atk 176Spe
Intimidate/Mold Breaker
~Waterfall
~Dragon Dance
~Ice Fang
~Earthquake

My main sweeper and what the team is centered around: a very interesting mon indeed with a type change when mega evolved, which can be used to your advantage. In battle, it has little to no opportunities to stay in, set up and cause damage when there are way too many mons to threaten him out of the field such azumarill, mega mawile, thundy-I, ferro, conk, rotom - W, etc. while mega evolved. As you can see there are so many mons that makes mega Dos' job very difficult to do work. That is reason why it's crucial to have my other teammates healthy to take out mega Dos' threats for it to have an easier time staying in and setting up. There are some instances where mega Dos can freely setup, for example on a free switch-in on bisharp, where none of its STABs will be enough and is forced to switch out, giving mega Dos a free turn to DD. I decided to add a little bit of HP invested for enough bulk to take hits and DD is more than enough to outspeed most threats with no scarf. Lastly, there are times where gyarados cannot mega evolve if scizor, conk is present or when there are opposing fairies to deal with.

Bulky Defogger:

Latias @ Life Orb
Calm 72Hp 184Sp.Atk 252Spe
Levitate
~Psyshock
~Draco Meteor
~Recover
~Defog

With two of my mons weak to Stealth Rock, a reliable, bulky and a bit offensive defogger was needed on the team. Psyshock is for the popular wall in OU that is mega venusaur, which is easily going to wall the majority of my team if I risk losing Latias at any time mega Venusaur is still alive. She's also used as an additional check to zard Y resisting air slashes and living fire blasts for a 3HKO with 72Hp evs and calm nature. She is also a nice check to Rotom-Ws eating up Hydropumps and become status fodder against willo-wisp. Recover is needed for longetivity for more chances to defog if their hazard is still alive and racking up damage from life orb. When Latias has to defog, it is a nice way to lure in bisharp when coming for a defiant boost, switching in to mega or regular Dos for a free DD on bisharp.

Crippler/Special Attacker:

Thundurus - Incarnate @ Life Orb
Timid 4Hp 252Sp.Atk 252Spe
Prankster
~Thunderbolt
~Focus Blast
~Thunder Wave
~Hidden Power Ice

I, for some reason felt like I needed a mon that is high in the speed tier seeing how relatively slow my team is for some priority support; Thundurus-I pretty much fits this bill nicely. It's able to instantly cripple anything that is a problem to my team such as the zards, Mega pinsir, mega Gardy, non-scarfed Latios, etc. Once crippled my teammates are able to have the upper hand in dealing with these threats so mega Dos in turn has a easier time cleaning up house mid to late game. HP ice is here for those who are immune to T-wave like gliscor and lando-T. If Mega Pinsir is on the field, Thundy is a somewhat good check to it, threatening it out with t-bolt or nailing any switchin with the much needed paralysis. All in all, thundy's main role is to provide extra coverage and fire off prankster T-waves without any other mon outspeeding it with priority.

Specially Defensive Tank:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Careful 252Hp 252Sp.Def 4Def
Sand Stream
~Earthquake
~Stealth Rock
~Slack Off
~Whirlwind

The team's dedicated special wall, Stealth Rocker and Phazer. It's role is to eat up attacks from the special side that cannot be handled by other members of the team. Specifically, it's used to switch in on Zard Y activitating sandstorm to stop first turn solar beam directed at gyarados. With everything invested in all Sp. Def, any special attacker won't be able to dent this hippo at all, especially when it has slackoff to shrug the damage off. Hippo is also able to phaze out potential mons that want to setup a sweep against the team. This hippo is much to needed to stay alive when special threats are still present. If hippodown ever falls when a special attacker is still alive, the team will have a difficult time dealing with said threats.

Offensive Tank:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Modest 244Hp 252Sp.Atk 12Spe
Magic Guard
~Thunder Wave
~Softboiled
~Flamethrower
~Moonblast

I've been trying out this set of an offensive clefable, and feels like a very important glue to the team, giving off a bunch of defensive coverage all around and very important to keep alive every game. Even without any sort of defense invested, it still takes various amount of hits very well and deals back decent amount of damage (fox example, it can take a scald/ice beam without being 2HKO'd and T-wave after). Clefable is the only safe switch in to the most common conkeldurr set and instantly threatening out with moonblast. I put in T-wave on clefable because many offensive mons like char X, T-flame, Mega Pinsir etc. tend to switch in on clefable. Therefore, they get caught off guard by the paralysis. Flamethrower is there to nail opposing steel types in the face when trying to switchin on clefable with max special attack.

General Physical Attacker:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant 252Hp 252Atk 4Sp. Def
Stance Change
~Iron Head
~Sacred Sword
~King's Shield
~Shadow Sneak

Even with a few checks to fairies, I still felt acquiring a nice, solid stop to fairies would greatly benefit the team. An additional physical attacker to help dent opposing mons and potentially lowering the attack of physical mons' is pretty helpful. A reliable priority attack is pretty useful as well to finish severely weakened foes that are paralyzed is great as well. The reason for iron head is like I said to crush fairies and to bypass specifically clefable's calm mind, since usually fairies generally are mostly bulky on their special defensive side. The obligatory sacred sword for extra coverage overall.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi AwsomeBiz,

This team is already pretty solid, there are just a few things that I think could help make it run smoother. Gyarados has a hard time breaking through physical walls that take neutral damage from Waterfall, like Skarmory, which can take this for days an Whirlwind you out. You also have issues with Azumarill (especially Belly Drum, which can set up on Hippowdon switching out). It can do serious damage to every Pokemon on your team bar Aegislash, which can't switch in anyways due to the fear of Knock Off.

My first change would be to swap Aegislash for Bisharp. Bisharp fits the role that I think you're searching for better than your current Aegislash spread. For one thing, it can handle most defensive Fairies with Iron Head, but more importantly, it can help wear down physical walls for Gyarados (and vice versa). For example, Skarmory can no longer wall Gyarados after it has taken a +2 Knock Off from Bisharp. Bisharp also doesn't mind Mega Manetric, which can do serious damage to Mega Gyarados, outspeeding it even at +1. On the other hand, Gyarados ignores Quagsire's Unaware, meaning that a +1 Waterfall is definitely going to hurt, paving the way for a Gyarados sweep. Next, I would switch Hippo to Skarmory. This team is simply too weak to Azumarill, especially if losing Aegislash. Skarmorys, however, can wall just about every Azumarill, and can even handle Belly Drum sets in a pinch. Skarmory can also help against other Gyarados, which otherwise can only be stopped by Thunder Wave on thundurus, which is not the most reliable answer to it. However, this makes you a bit weak to powerful special attackers, namely NP Thundurus, Aegislash, and Manaphy. My final suggestion is to use Def CM Unaware Clefable over your current set. CM Clefable can set up on all of those pokemon, including Aegislash (unless they run Iron head :[, but most are either sub Toxic, or Pursuit + Secret Sword). But it's taking about 30-40% from Thundurus, same from Aegislash's Shadow Ball, and abotu 30% from Manaphy, meaning you can switch in, Calm Mind, and then Moonlight to return back to full health with ease. This set can also provide you with Heal Bell support in case your Gyarados gets Thunder Waved by Thundurus or Latias gets burned by a stray Scald.

Anyway, I hope my changes help. Good luck with the team!

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, you've been skyping me for a week but I'm finally free :OOOO

I think this team could benefit off of being a little more offensive, you have enough tools to check certain threats but I'm just not sure if walling them is the most effective method. As Halycon already stated, Azumarill is a bit threatening for this team because Hippowdon gives it an opportunity to come in and force a switch. Your Hippowdon can help against Zard Y, sure, but it can't really do much to Charizard apart from walling it. You're going to force it out, but it will most likely find an opportunity late game to 2HKO your Hippowdon with Fire Blast (which isn't hard at all) and put pressure on your team that way. I think we can consider a more offensive Stealth Rock user such as Garchomp whose 102 Speed comes in handy against things like Landorus, and it's also something that Azumarill really can't set up on or attack without sustaining a heavy hit.

With Garchomp over Hippowdon, you would noticeably be a little less prepared to switch into Aegislash. Bisharp isn't the best switch to Aegislash given Sacred Sword, but it's still very good for Offense and it essentially accomplishes roles similar to what Aegislash is doing--it just has stronger priority which can be huge. Having a Dark/Ghost resist which isn't Mega Gyarados can be huge, because Gyarados is best brought in cleanly after something has died on your team. Speaking of which, perhaps Healing Wish over recover on the Latias might make it easier for you to bring in Gyarados. This gives you more freedom to use Gyarados early game to just weaken stuff, and then you can use Healing Wish with your Latias to bring in your Gyarados clean against common Latias switch ins such as Aegislash, Scizor, Bisharp, and Tyranitar -- all of which can be set up on by Gyarados. Also, Timid>>>>Calm on that Latias, you absolutely want to be outspeeding stuff like Terrakion, Mega Pinsir, Garchomp and Keldeo.

I personally like Leftovers over Life Orb on that Thundurus set, because I don't like dying to recoil when I can survive with Leftovers and Paralyze the next Pokemon coming in before I die. That type of Thundurus acts like an all around check to offensive threats, which it can do fine even with Leftovers, as you're still OHKOing Zard Y, Keldeo, and Mega Pinsir--which is one of the main reasons to be using that Thundurus in the first place.

Latias@Timid, Healing Wish>Recover

Bisharp@Life Orb
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
Knock Off / Iron Head / Sucker Punch / SD

Garchomp@Sash
Naive 252 atk / 252 spe / 4 def
Dragon Claw / EQ / FB / SR

Hit me up on dat skype ish -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)