The Smog needs your help!

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am sure that most of you have at least heard about the creation of Smogon's magazine, "The Smog", over the last week or so. The project is now very much in motion, and in order to give the magazine a "face" we are calling upon the many artists of Smogon to help us create a logo!

While we do have a dedicated staff of artists, we know that there are a large number of other talented artists out there, and we would like to give them a chance to show us their stuff.

We cannot offer any tangible prizes for the designer of the logo that gets picked, but I am sure that many people would love to see their artwork displayed all over every issue of the magazine. It doesn't have to be anything super-complicated; in fact, the only requirement as of now is that it bear the title of our magazine - The Smog - on it. (Do not worry about size; we can resize it later if need be).

Feel free to post your ideas here. I and the other smog staff will make comments frequently regarding what we do / do not like. So get to work artists! We plan to release the first issue on April 11th, and we will need to have the logo complete at least several days in advance of that date (preferably by April 1st).

I'm not the best artist, but are you OK with me shopping a photo? I was thinking of a Koffing reading a magazine, with The Smog written on it.

If I can stop writhing in pain from my sore throat, I may give it a shot. x) Any size/format/quality preferences?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just post whatever you can muster up guys (use common sense on the size - you get the gist) We aren't even precisely sure what we are looking for so with a starting template we can help guide it along.

Yea I understand it may be freestyle but there should at least be dimensions. Size wise. If someone makes a banner, it can get distorted if its scaled later.

Here's an idea (which I may or may not draw, and anyone can draw it if s/he wants it):
A Koffing with a 'wide-spread smog' under him, and 'The Smog' written on the spreading smog. The text style/color I'm thinking of is 'lack of smog', as in a white area displaying as the text in the middle of the spreading smog.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First attempt.

In case you were wondering, the thing reading the paper is an Alakazam. I'd prefer thoughts on the concept, rather than the idea, since this is just a sketch at the time. Alakazam was my pokemon of choice, being both the most dextrous and intelligent pokemon there is.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love the idea of Alakazam reading the paper (although the text of The Smog is a bit blah). It screams "this mag is so good, even an intelligent guy like Alakazam finds value in it."

A couple basic ideas here. Thoughts? Comments? Punches?

#2 is probably my favorite, but #3 would probably work better for a magazine cover - it's simple and doesn't upstage the cover art. #1 is a pretty good balance between interesting and unobtrusive, but I'm not all that hot on it. I think it's probably the angle of the Koffing, which I should probably have fiddled with a bit more.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ehhh, this was a quick sketch idea. Basically, I tried to make the word 'SMOG' more prominent. I also thought it'd be cute to have the 'O' a Koffing, since Koffing's our official mascot of sorts. I was also considering different versions of the 'O'...

Meh, excuse the shoddy quality. I took this from my laptop's built-in camera. All comments are welcome, and I'll have a preliminary digital version once I finalize the design idea.

EDIT: Oof, I didn't notice dragonknight already did the koffing 'O' idea ;_;. So much for my 'original' idea >_>

My idea is to draw a Koffing using Smokescreen or whatever and the smoke forms into the word "The Smog". But I seen someone already did it. :(

First attempt:

I think i need to make the letters in the skulls bigger or i could use gas instead. Comments?

A little big i suppose lol

Something I knocked up earlier, silly me forgot to convert to RGB from CMYK so the green is a bit off.

Is it marked down because of "no 'mons" in the pic? :p

Would an ambigram be acceptable as a logo design?
I can draw them pretty well, and I think they're pretty cool.
Yay or nay?

Ok, I drew up my idea and it looks really good. My scanner is having issues (keeps cutting off half of my drawing) right now, so I don't know when I'll post it up.

A couple basic ideas here. Thoughts? Comments? Punches?

#2 is probably my favorite, but #3 would probably work better for a magazine cover - it's simple and doesn't upstage the cover art. #1 is a pretty good balance between interesting and unobtrusive, but I'm not all that hot on it. I think it's probably the angle of the Koffing, which I should probably have fiddled with a bit more.
I really think we could have a winner in #3 here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)