The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen NU Metagame [General Discussion]

Going to go ahead and predict Magmortar for #3.
Also, Scolipede for #4.

I'm still voting for Sawk, but he's probably not even going to get a chance until we hit #5.

Magmortar - 17
Scolipede - 2
Sawk - 1

Magmortar is the 3rd most influential Pokemon in BW NU!

Thanks to tennisace for the Magmortar nomination!

What effect did Magmortar have on the metagame?
It's more powerful than Charizard, has the best coverage move a Fire-type could really ask for (Thunderbolt), and could run 4 different items effectively (Specs, Scarf, Expert Belt, and Life Orb). Magmortar was probably the hardest Pokemon to switch in on in NU history without already knowing what item + Hidden Power it was running. Once you knew the set, it was fairly easy to revenge or deal with, but before then it was extremely good. Magmortar did well vs bulkier teams that relied on switching, especially because aside from stage 0 there weren't any good Spikes setters that could hinder Magmortar switching in and out (though it is SR weak).

In what main roles was Magmortar used?
Magmortar was one of the premier special attackers and the best Fire-type during its time in NU. It had enough speed to run a competent scarf set (outsped by Sawk and Rotom-S but faster than Braviary and co), was powerful enough to wreck defensive cores with Life Orb or Specs, and could run a good lure set with Expert Belt and the Hidden Power of your choice (usually Grass for Quagsire, sometimes Water in Stage 0 for Camerupt/other Magmortar). Heck, Mach Punch could even 2hko Absol with no investment and a neutral nature, while avoiding Sucker Punch. If I had to compare Magmortar to a Pokemon that's in today's NU, I guess I would call it Charizard on steroids that didn't take 50% damage from SR. Base 80 was the speed tier to hit in the earlier stages of NU, and Magmortar outsped them all, like Charizard does to base 95.

What caused Magmortar to have a significant impact?
I've said it before in places, but let's recap: Highest Special Attack in the tier (Glaceon was PU), high base power STAB, excellent coverage (Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and HP Grass was essentially perfect), handy but not overpowering speed (Base 83 was more than usable at the time), usable special bulk for a sweeper (75 hp / 95 spdef is pretty good for NU standards). In Stage 0, Magmortar's "counters" were Slowking, Lanturn, and Quagsire mainly. After Stage 0, that list dropped down to: Quagsire, Thick Fat Miltank, and Altaria (I suppose you could call Regirock a check but Focus Blast took huge chunks out of it). Decent, but definitely able to be taken advantage of by teammates.

How do/did you deal with Magmortar in NU?
Pray you didn't get hit by a crit Thunderbolt/HP Grass when bringing in your Water-type? I mean like I said there were checks, but Altaria is really the only mon that could switch into every move standard Magmortar had. Really, the easiest way to deal with it was by revenge killing. It was pretty frail on the physical side, and if you could get down SR you could keep both Magmortar and Cryogonal/Armaldo (the main spinners) at bay. In addition, Absol was around at the time, and Sucker Punch hurt a lot. In the later stages that Magmortar was around, Samurott started coming into play, and Aqua Jet did a ton of damage to it. The metagame was extremely offensive, as you can imagine.
Time to choose spot #4, let's go!
You can choose from:

Absol / Samurott / Sawk / Emboar / Scolipede / Amoonguss / Cinccino

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Scolipede
making an entire playstyle not only viable but dominating is plenty enough for me to pick Scolipede
Amoonguss shouldn't even be top 10 let alone number four; it was really good, but it wasn't that influential

Scolipede. Being one of the fastest pokemon in the tier, supporting it's team, and being one of the best attackers makes it immediatly #1.

Style_Dota

Bloo Wannabe
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh, Amoonguss kind of made the threat of Sleep more real in NU than before. Though I agree that it shouldn't even be on this list. Needs more Riolu imo.

Anyway, Scolipede is an easy choice for #4

Edit: LOL, no one nominated Gorebyss, smh.

Edit2: Gorebyss died after R1, but Smash Passing was probably the most defining threat of Stage 1, not to mention other Pokemon in NU that rose in popularity due to being somewhat of a Gorebyss check due to Smash Pass Gorebyss and offensive Gorebyss (Ludicolo, Jynx, etc.). But like I said, that's dead and gone now.

Adding on to Scolipede, since my post should have a wee bit more bulk, it made not only HO Spike Stacking, but Spikes in general a viable option in NU during the early stages when it was initially in NU to the end where it is now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)