The UU Viablity Rankings topic.

Arcanine needs to go in the list, as high or top, considering it is basically the Fire-type used in a Fire-Water-Grass core. Cloyster could also go in mid, being able to provide such varied support as Spikes, Spinning, some tanking, and priority all in one set. It also is a relatively common anti-lead.

Kabutops --> High/ top: Obvious as hell he's a pain to take out under rainy conditions.

Ludicolo --> High/ top: Same as Kabutops with the exception that he can wield both a special and physical offensive set as well as being a complete annoyer with a defensive set.

Qwilfish: High/ top: same as Kabutops

EDIT: Flashbolt, you beated me to it ^^
^_^

Blastoise ?
Torterra High-Top (that might just be my irrational love for him)
also noticed you didnt put up Hitmontop whom i mentionned
Slowbro urmm... high-ish
Hariyama high

I like this concept. Stats are almost always slightly flawed for some reason or another. Subjective Consensus > Flawed Objectivity.
Seconded.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not seeing Jynx on there. Jynx is top tier. And don't forget Lanturn! Probably the best Moltres check in the tier, with a resistance to both of its primary STABs and the ability to avoid a 2hko from HP Grass.

I'm not seeing Jynx on there. Jynx is top tier. And don't forget Lanturn! Probably the best Moltres check in the tier, with a resistance to both of its primary STABs and the ability to avoid a 2hko from HP Grass.
To be honest, you are the only person I ever saw using Jynx. She is actually the same as Ninetales and I don't see that in the list as well.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That was only semi-serious, but Jynx is definitely not the same as Ninetales. For one, Hypnosis sucks. For another, Jynx gets Focus Blast, which will let it get past Chansey at +2. And Jynx can viably pull off a mono-attacking set with STAB Ice Beam, while Ninetales gets lol'd at by anything with Flash Fire. Jynx is definitely not top-tier, but I've made many many stall team pay for underestimating it.

^_^

Blastoise ?
Slowbro urmm... high-ish
Hariyama high

Seconded.
lol i wish i can agree with you on Torterra. Because i believe he should be somewhere up there too. I've also noticed, where is toxicroak? One of the most threatening sweepers to stall...it also irrates me that alot of ppl forget toxicroak has a higher attack then special attack with access to sword dance

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Golduck needs to move up to lower Mid. There's something to be said of a Pokemon that consistently dominates one of the most powerful and popular strategies in the metagame. Weather teams in general are pretty screwed if they face this thing. Outside of that, he functions perfectly well as a merely average special attacker/sweeper.

Rhyperior is the perfect candidate for Top as well, seeing as the counters for CB Rhyperior include "getting lucky" as well as "nothing".

lol i wish i can agree with you on Torterra. Because i believe he should be somewhere up there too. I've also noticed, where is toxicroak? One of the most threatening sweepers to stall...it also irrates me that alot of ppl forget toxicroak has a higher attack then special attack with access to sword dance
We couldnt decide where to put toxicroak, i said high but Heysup said Med. We were waiting for someone to break the deadlock.

Nidoking
Med
Nidoquen Med
Mesprit Med-High
Drifblim Low-Med

i think all of UU has been mentionned at some point, lets get them up

I'm sorry but Swellow is definitely NOT top tier. It is a one-dimensional Pokemon with one viable set that makes it only fit on specific kinds of teams. And whilst it is incredibly threatening with the right team support, it does not do enough on its own merits to be deserving of the very highest status. For this reason it should be high, but not top IMO.

Arcanine however is definitely top tier. It has the offensive and defensive versatility to fit on all kinds of teams, has strong priority + Intimidate to check plenty of offensive Pokemon, and can easily fuck up plenty of its usual counters with a SunnyBeam set. Top drawer UU without a doubt.

I feel hitmontop needs to go into the high category because it can fill a variety of roles, dedicated spinner, offensive technitop, etc. and do them all well. But it doesn't really deserve top viability.

I also think tangrowth needs to lower to mid because I consider it about as useful as chansey, aggron and that group. Tangrowth has a great bst but none of its sets are really that viable. Venasaur can perform better defensively and offensively it still gets stopped by registeel, and a large part of the top category.

I think arcanine absolutely deserves top tier ranking. It has more viable sets then just about anything else in the tier.

Finally I'm not sure about spiritomb being top, I would be more comfortable with high or maybe even mid. With cress out of the tier I think tomb's usefulness decreases drastically. Defensively it doesn't really counter that much effectively. I would prefer uxie as a status spreader, maybe even arcanine with WOW, and milotic can run much better cro sets. I definitely don't see tomb as the top of the tier.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Boy, have I got a lot of catching up to do.

I suppose Umbreon is high, i just dont seem him used very well very often. but Feraligatr can be deadly too after a DD/SD so he might be mid-high.
In the right hands he can be extremely deadly. I guess Feraligatr does deserve to move up as he IS the Gyarados of UU.

Drapion high-mid (probs high, i see him like umbreon often not used well, offers to do more than he can)
Definetely, Drapion is extremely versatile. The SD is lethal, and his defensive sets are great too. his typing is also phenominal. One weakness is too good.

Claydol mid
Rotom high
Kabutops top (can't believe we forgot all the rainers)
I agree with those changes.

Blastoise ?
Slowbro urmm... high-ish
Hariyama high
Hmm. Blastoise is a pretty reliable spinner and a bulky water. He's pretty decent I suppose. Probably Mid tier.

Torterra is a menace, it's a shame he was used so little in January. Definetely a top tier pokemon that can sweep through teams (or play defense) His typing is also great.

I don't think that Hariyama deserves high, I mean he can check a lot of pokemon and play a decent lead game but he's just not powerful enough in my opinion. I don't know, I rarely used him so my opinion can be null.

I think Altaria should be Mid or so. It's useful, but not very useful. Maybe I just use it the wrong way
Yeah. It's shame though it's such a fun pokemon to use and it's offensive set can be deadly when the steels are gone.

Flareblitz is right. Jynx is pretty deadly due to:
Reliable way of sleeping people, and can be a potent sweeper. I guess she can go in low tier. A solid NU pokemon (but that's just me, if you think she deserves higher I'll raise her)

I've used Lanturn a bit and it's quite useful. I Think it's an even BETTER counter to Moltres than Chansey. (not really but it's close!)
Water/Electric with an eletric immunity is fantastic, and the parafusion set can be deadly. It's good enough to set itself apart from other bulky waters. Possibly high mid tier?

Med
Nidoquen Med
Mesprit Med-High
Drifblim Low-Med
Agreed.

I'm sorry but Swellow is definitely NOT top tier. It is a one-dimensional Pokemon with one viable set that makes it only fit on specific kinds of teams. And whilst it is incredibly threatening with the right team support, it does not do enough on its own merits to be deserving of the very highest status. For this reason it should be high, but not top IMO.

Arcanine however is definitely top tier. It has the offensive and defensive versatility to fit on all kinds of teams, has strong priority + Intimidate to check plenty of offensive Pokemon, and can easily fuck up plenty of its usual counters with a SunnyBeam set. Top drawer UU without a doubt.
I disagree. It's true that it has one set and IS one dimensional that set is extremely deadly. It can revenge kill a ton of fast pokemon due to it's blistering speed. (Raikou, Sceptile and much more) and the support it needs isn't THAT much. A rapid spinner is mainly the only thing it needs.

Yeah Arcanine is like Venusaur in the regards that it's powerful AND versatile. (I love those kinds of pokemon)

I feel hitmontop needs to go into the high category because it can fill a variety of roles, dedicated spinner, offensive technitop, etc. and do them all well. But it doesn't really deserve top viability.
Done and done.

I also think tangrowth needs to lower to mid because I consider it about as useful as chansey, aggron and that group. Tangrowth has a great bst but none of its sets are really that viable. Venasaur can perform better defensively and offensively it still gets stopped by registeel, and a large part of the top category.
He single handedly stops one of the strongest styles of play though. He shouldn't attempt on being a Venusaur clone, but his own thing an extremely powerful physical wall.

I think arcanine absolutely deserves top tier ranking. It has more viable sets then just about anything else in the tier.
Finally I'm not sure about spiritomb being top, I would be more comfortable with high or maybe even mid. With cress out of the tier I think tomb's usefulness decreases drastically. Defensively it doesn't really counter that much effectively. I would prefer uxie as a status spreader, maybe even arcanine with WOW, and milotic can run much better cro sets. I definitely don't see tomb as the top of the tier.
It's still a fantastic lead, stopping Ambipom and Froslass cold. It can perform a wide variety of rolls, (Restalk sweeper, anti-lead, wall etc)

It's typing is also very good.

I wouldn't put Uxie as high. All it can do is put SR up and sometimes spready Paralysis

also great thread I really like this idea

I think the Torterra thing is indeed irrational love. I would personally put him in mid, with other pokemon who perform a niche role but do it well. His Ground-typing leaves him in danger of being OHKOed by pretty much every Water-type out there, so he really can only check them. The Rock / Ground resists are nice, but it hurts that Rhyperior still 2HKOes with Megahorn. Useful, but certainly not Top tier.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I wouldn't put Uxie as high. All it can do is put SR up and sometimes spready Paralysis

also great thread I really like this idea
You kidding? Uxie is fantastic. It's extremely reliably, as a standard lead, Dual Screen's user, a wall... hell even a CM set can work. (Like Cress did...)
It's staple on every team.

I think the Torterra thing is indeed irrational love. I would personally put him in mid, with other pokemon who perform a niche role but do it well. His Ground-typing leaves him in danger of being OHKOed by pretty much every Water-type out there, so he really can only check them. The Rock / Ground resists are nice, but it hurts that Rhyperior still 2HKOes with Megahorn. Useful, but certainly not Top tier.
Not many water pokemon can handle Torterra once he gets going. Rock Polish Torterra outspaces the entire metagame, making revenge killer with a standard water type difficult. LO Wood Hammer off an impressive attack stat is no joke. His other STAB (ground) makes his earthquake insanely powerful too.

Dude, what DOESN'T Rhyperior 2HKO?

By the way, I didn't want to say it earlier because I'd get laughed off but what tier do you think Raichu should be? I've used it many (many times) and I think that he's pretty decent in UU. Definetely a bottom tier UU pokemon (possibly low low)

Echoing this statement. As a tier list/ "viability ranking", you're considering the merits of the Pokemon itself. Swellow needs a good amount of support to ever be able to sweep (removal of all Rock/ Steel types, Spikes). Swellow also has extremely low durability with SR/ Toxic Orb buildup as well as shit defense stats. But it's DEFINITELY good enough to make a HIgh- level sweeper, it just needs a BIT too much support to merit Top.

I definitely agree with this. High not top. Maybe its just my teams, but this Pokemon has never really been that effective against me.

Gorebyss (Rain) should be top. Regular Gorebyss should be bottom. Are you rating non-rain versions of these Pokemon? You should.

I also disagree with Dugtrio as high, but I don't have a huge problem with it. It definitely has its uses (Chansey, Raikou), but I don't think that's enough to bump it up to high. Its attack is just too poor imo, since it needs to score OHKOes.

Also Alakazam should be high. Its too frail and vulnerable to Dark types to be consider top, imo. Edit: Oh, nvm, already there.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
You guys do raise some excellent points about Swellow. I guess I should drop Swellow to high.

Duly noted about Gorebyss and Alakazam.
About non rain version of Kabutops and Luddicolo. What tier do you suppoose they fall in?

I've always thought of Kabutops as a high tier pokemon before the advent of rain. Luddicolo under mid imo. Opinions?

Raichu should be in low. Many of its sets can be outclassed, but its good enough to not be bottom.

Torterra shouldn't be top. At best, it should be high, but I think it should be mid. It can Rock Polish to gain speed, but that doesn't mean it gets attack boosts. Something could take the hit, and then hit it back, preferably with a SE move.

Agree with all of those. It's interesting to see Steelix in mid. In the early days, I recall him being one of the best UU pokemon.
He still is. I truly believe he deserves to be atleast high. He can check Raikou just as well as Registeel. Can also set up SR, and still take physical hits better even with no investment. He can also Roar out any boosts and his Earthquake is much stronger then Registeel's. The higher offenses shouldn't be disregarded. And lastly, his typing makes him immune to both Toxic and Thunder Wave, which I believe only the Nido's have.

I also think Ninetails should be on this list, most likely at mid. With Nasty Plot and a Flash Fire boost not much can handle it. Milotic is 2HKO'd and can't OHKO back. And it's access to Hypnosis (though risky) is very rewarding. It also has enough speed to outspeed +speed base 95's and everything under, so it's a pretty fast pokemon for an UU team. Another advantage it also has over Houndoom is it's bulk. A scarfed Venu can't kill off a Ninetails at around 60% while Houndoom is much more open to being revenge-killed, especially with Technitops running around.

One last pokemon is Nidoqueen. I find it odd Omastar is so high yet she's not on it. She's a great counter to Fighting-types and is immune to both Toxic + Thunder Wave. She also has Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes + Roar for shuffling. She can also Taunt slower set-up Pokemon and has a good STAB and movepool which she can use from the Physical or Special spectrum. She should be mid at least.

Torterra in TOP?! You can't be serious. It's one of those pokemon that looks really good on paper but actually isn't incredible. LO + Wood Hammer means it will be low health quickly and vulnerable to revenge kills. This needs to be taken down a notch.

I'd like to hear the reasoning for Mesprit in High also, that's also a notch above where it should be imo. It's a decent utility pokemon but does do one thing well enough to belong in top. This pokemon over Altaria is a joke.

Altaria should be high IMO. It can do so many things well and help out any team in so many ways (Stall, Heal Bell, DD, etc.). Its typing is unique to UU and it has a ton of useful resistances, especially in a metagame packed with Water-Grass-Fire types. Plus it has instant recovery that curbs its biggest weakness, which also makes SR less of an issue since it can switch in on a ton of pokemon.

Raichu is nothing but bottom. I've played your Raichu, PK, and it's just not worthy of a slot on most teams. It's better than giving it no mention, but this thing belongs in bottom without question, imo.

Edit: Play Thund91 when he's using Steelix and you'll have no choice but to believe him. It should go to high.

Edit2: It seems like everything is just ending up in High or Top. Maybe there should be a cutoff for each level, like 10-12 pokemon per? It'll spark a lot of debate but also make these more meaningful. It's hard to do stuff like this because every pokemon has its own unique role, and the tier has achieved a pretty decent level of balance, IMO.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Torterra in TOP?! You can't be serious. It's one of those pokemon that looks really good on paper but actually isn't incredible. LO + Wood Hammer means it will be low health quickly and vulnerable to revenge kills. This needs to be taken down a notch.
Well it's unanimous I guess. I should drop Torterra down a notch, maybe mid tier.

I'd like to hear the reasoning for Mesprit in High also, that's also a notch above where it should be imo. It's a decent utility pokemon but does do one thing well enough to belong in top. This pokemon over Altaria is a joke.
I honestly just went with the flow. To be honest it just seemed like an alt (worse) Uxie. It makes a decent lead but eh, I should just drop it.

Altaria should be high IMO. It can do so many things well and help out any team in so many ways (Stall, Heal Bell, DD, etc.). Its typing is unique to UU and it has a ton of useful resistances, especially in a metagame packed with Water-Grass-Fire types. Plus it has instant recovery that curbs its biggest weakness, which also makes SR less of an issue since it can switch in on a ton of pokemon.
It seems so. It didn't seem THAT good when I used it on my first UU team and I found that it could always be a bit more defensive, but is as you say. Great typing, roost and versatility.

Raichu is nothing but bottom. I've played your Raichu, PK, and it's just not worthy of a slot on most teams. It's better than giving it no mention, but this thing belongs in bottom without question, imo.
Sad but true.

Edit: Play Thund91 when he's using Steelix and you'll have no choice but to believe him. It should go to high.
Duly noted, I've wanted to raise it anyway.

Edit2: It seems like everything is just ending up in High or Top. Maybe there should be a cutoff for each level, like 10-12 pokemon per? It'll spark a lot of debate but also make these more meaningful. It's hard to do stuff like this because every pokemon has its own unique role, and the tier has achieved a pretty decent level of balance, IMO.
Definitely. I think the tiering limit should be 10 pokemon per, and a new tier (God/Best/Whatever) should be limited to the top 5 pokemon.

FlareBlitz

Yeah not limiting the number of Pokemon per tier makes them a bit pointless. I'd recommend 10 Pokemon per Tier.

I've skimmed the entire thread but haven't seen anyone come up with criteria for determining tiers. If we come up with these then we can say "top tier is an average of 9+" and "high tier is an average of 7-8", etc.

a few ideas based on the posts here

- does it fit into a wide range of teams?
- sweepers: how dangerous is it?
- sweepers: how reliably can it sweep (frailty, support needed, etc)?
- supporters: how much support does it give?
- supporters: how reliably can it supply this support?
- how well does it match up against other pokemon on the tier list (more of an aggregate than an individual metric because pokemon is 6v6)

there's some overlap and definitely stuff missing but it's an okay start I think.

About non rain version of Kabutops and Luddicolo. What tier do you suppoose they fall in?
Kabutops is only used in Rain Dance teams and as a lead. This last one should probably be in the mid/ high since it can set up Rocks and spin those set up by your opponent away while still being able to counter many UU leads (Froslass, Moltres, ...).

About Ludicolo. As a non Rain abuser I would say its low. although it could still sweep, it's sweeping capabilies are greatly lowered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)