The Value of CM Blissey

Is Calm Mind on Blissey that great of an idea?

Seeing Blissey along will cause your opponent to switch to a physical sweeper or something that can set up.
Blissey will be forced to switch before it can make use of Calm Mind.

what do you think?

CM Bliss.. I never actually cared much for it, because of the same reason that you posted. But if you figure out your opponent has only special attackers left, than CM Bliss can go and start wiping out your opponent.

CM also helps it have a pretty decent and usable special attack to play with. (I guess CM Bliss is just a way to let Blissey make more use of its special attack)

Perhaps you could actually make good use of it... bring out something that can baton pass and Mean Look/Spider Web/Block. Then trap the pokemon and baton pass to Blissey. To make it even more effective, you could also give Blissey Defense Curl, so that, once that pokemon is taken out, Blissey has a chance against the physical sweeper that is most likely to be brought out next.

So a plausible moveset would be Calm Mind, Defense Curl, and Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/HP Ground/Focus Blast/Hyper Beam, with a suitable Trap-passer to set it up.

EDIT: Oh, and it would be holding Leftovers, because it would need to be able to heal what damage is done to it

I used to run a CM blissey. It work pretty decent, was a nice Draon killer. No I use her as a stealth rocker/ special wall. She is OK but not super good.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
CM Bliss I think is more of a defensive set than an attacking one. Seismic Toss Bliss loses to quite a large number of special attackers just because it cant kill them. One of my favourite strategys in RS was to PPwaste Blissey with Zapdos or Suicune and then sweep with special attackers. Jirachi, Starmie, Slowbro, PorygonZ, most sleep talkers, Vaporeon, Celebi etc.. are all special attackers that can beat Seismic toss Bliss, but would lose to CM bliss (Ok, maybe not Celebi so much).

Have a nice day.

It goes like this:

You send it Bliss, CM on the switch, and then OHKO the Garchomp/TTar/Rhyperior they brought in. Blissey easily survives their attacks because of the massive HP. Hera might be a problem, though...

It goes like this:

You send it Bliss, CM on the switch, and then OHKO the Garchomp/TTar/Rhyperior they brought in. Blissey easily survives their attacks because of the massive HP. Hera might be a problem, though...
will ttar and rhyperior be OHKO'd? ttar has the sandstorm spdef boost and doesn't have a 4x weakness, and rhyperior has his trait.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No, they won't be OHKOed. Only Garchomp out of any of those would. Rhyperior would take > 50% damage, Tyranitar would take fuck-all%.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Bold Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss

I've been using this Blissey set for a while now, and i have to admit its my favorite. Seismic Toss to do general damge to opponents, Calm Mind for any special attacker that thinks it can just stat up in Blisseys face while it does nothing, it also beats Raikou;a threat CM bliss always had problems with. I chose Tbolt over Ice Beam because it helps beat manaphy as well as other water types that generallly can wall you like slowbro and milotic, it'll beat cune as well but it's mostly preferance. Ice beam helps take down the dragons and the ground types so its just a matter of which you consider more of a threat to your team

NO FKUC

Damn SDef bost. ._.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Tar might survive, but Rhy is easily OHKOd with little SAttk and one CM.

EDIT: DAMMITSDFHJDS. I was thinking with Grass Rope. Ignore this whole post.

CM Blissey is a nice counter against another Calm Minders that lack roar and aren't named Lucario, like EspyJump (Lacks Leech Seed), CMRaikou, CMCune (Surf, Ice Beam, CM, Rest variation obviously), CM Slowbro, Nasty Plot Azelf (she has a hard time here oO), Tail Glow Manaphy, etc =P

The battle againstt CMRaikou might be hard but Blissey has a way to recover HP at least, still I guess Seismic Toss 4KO would work better, well I'm not sure to be truth x)

CMRaikou beats Blissey who don't have a perfect 31 SpAtk stat and lower than 108 SpAtk EV's like the Analysis, its very close I think. I have beaten many Blissey with Pressure, and gone out for the sweep.

I still think, because of this, the Seismic Toss version is better.

Personally, I like the Seismic Toss version for the same reason as Cooltrainer20 pointed out. CM Bliss is cool to use once and a while, but it seems, IMO, more "offensive" than the old Standard. Sure, ST Blissey may not be able to set up and maybe even pull a Sweep(!) out of nowhere, but it sure stops severe situations (CM Raikou and such). Also, Sing Bliss is awesome.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
CM Blissey is probably the only reason why some people think Manaphy is uber. Its because no one wants to stray from the standard and actually use something that isn't really so overspecialized when you think about it.

Lets see:
CMBlissey
- Hits Gyarados
- Covers Togekiss (unless they just BP away from you)
- Covers Manaphy
- Generally has high SA to actually put a hurt on things. I actually run max SA to break Raikou's subs. It really isn't built to absorb physical hits this gen (although I still give it defense). It can hurt Rhyperior on the switch with Ice Beam better than the standard set, possibly 2HKOing it.
- OHKOs Garchomp/Mence
- Covers Suicune
- Covers Azelf (as long as it doesn't Taunt or Explode)
- Skarmory can't set up on you.
- Still covers Raikou.
- Doesn't get stalled by anything non special wall/TTar.
- Covers Non Calm Mind or Focus Punch Dusknoir porbably

SToss Bliss:
- Gets 2 awesome status moves
- Can use Seismic Toss.
- Generally have more HP/Def than CMBliss

It's your pick here.

CMBliss is actually not a bad weapon to stop stallwars. It can be rather unexpected too. You switch in Rhyperior into CMBliss and get easily 2HKOed by Ice Beam whereas it would just rofl at the standard set. Obviously, there will still be a stallwar if you're facing another Bliss, but hey, it's BLissey

...damn, and i was hoping more ppl would lean towards one side...
When that happens, people start leaning towards the other side to counter what everyone else does. Generally people avoid the same exact strategy as they want to catch most people off guard, this causes people to constantly evolve their strategies, and causes different opinions on movesets as certain things work for them better then others.

You'll never get most people to lean towards the same exact side on a meaningful question. This is something like CBchomp vs SDchomp. People have different needs for their teams and prefer different sets due to their experience.

I personally don't prefer CMbliss. There are better walls that can CM (I prefer Cresselia for this), and Blissey has too much use as a Cleric to worry about CMing.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Except that the point of Calm Mind is that you don't lose to special sweepers, which means you shouldn't really Calm Mind and attempt a sweep.

Cresselia is probably better left as a Reflector/Screener IMO.

I've been torn on CMBliss versus STBliss for a while: One is quite dangerous late-game while the other stops sever other special threats. Mismagious and Raikou are what really have me torn, Mismagious gengarally loses to CM BLiss, but Raikou gengarally loses to STBliss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)