Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

I decided to build around Mega Gyarados mostly because Mimikyu and Celesteela are common and can be difficult to cover without including narrow answers on my team.

It’s a pretty standard Jolly set. In a world with fewer Celesteela running around, I’d run Ice Fang over Substitute.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 SpD
Brave Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Clear Smog
- Shadow Sneak

Tapus Koko and Lele are both painful for Mega Gyarados unless it's already set up. It might seem strange to cover those fairy-types using another Dark-type, but Muk-Alola does the job really well. It almost always forces a switch, often resulting in the switch-in losing its item and/or getting poisoned. Muk also efficiently answers a number of other commonly-seen pokemon like P2 and PZ. Clear Smog lets you win from neutral ground against setups from stuff like Mimikyu or Cloyster.

Attack EVs OHKO the typical non-invested Tapu Lele with Poison Jab. Only 37.5% chance to OHKO Tapu Koko, but that's plenty since they're often using Life Orb and/or likely switching, plus Muk has a good chance to poison and I can always just Shadow Sneak afterwards anyway.

It’s afraid of Earthquakes but Gyarados covers those pretty well.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Sometimes I want to have an anti-electric partner for Gyarados and for whatever reason Muk wouldn’t be ideal. Garchomp does that and is obviously just a strong revenge killer in general.

I’ve always liked Rock Slide for its slightly better accuracy than Stone Edge and random flinch hax. But there honestly aren’t many flying-types running around right now so maybe something like Fire Fang or Toxic would be better.

Tapu Koko @ Focus Sash
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- U-Turn

Koko is obviously an overall strong pokemon and forces people to bring answers to it that often struggle against the rest of my team. It’s mainly included here as a panic button for a handful of common and potentially difficult situations, mainly set-up Mega Gyarados and Kingdra in rain. It is notably the only member of the team that’s strong against Buzzwole, which I will touch upon later.

I’ve considered switching Tapu Koko’s item with Garchomp’s, as both would still be able to perform the functions they’re here to serve while providing a 90% chance of victory in a Koko to-the-death mirror and making U-Turn useful against opposing Scarf-wearers.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield

Swords Dance Aegislash is a big threat that many teams are hard-pressed to answer. Adding a third weak-to-ground team member sounds like a bad idea on paper, but I’ve found that Aegislash more often than not survives those and punishes hard with a Weakness Policy-boosted Sacred Sword.

Since everyone else is running Toxic-Sub, I often get a free Swords Dance or painful Sacred Sword hit on Steel-types expecting to meet a Toxic.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

With three team members weak to ground, I wanted to add something else that can comfortably switch into most Earthquake users. I ran Celesteela in this slot for a pretty long time for that reason, and have had roughly equal success with both options. But since I usually want to bring Gyarados, it seems preferable not to present a second electric-type weakness in team select.

Bulk EVs survive two Earthquakes from most Garchomps and Mamoswines as well as two hits of Crunch from +1 Jolly Mega Gyarados, while also having enough SpD to survive two hits from non-Specs Tapu Koko, Timid Lele, and usually Modest Lele.

Notes and observations:
  • Tapu Koko is the only team member that performs favorably against Buzzwole. I’m often able to just brute force past, but it’s it’s definitely an obstacle - thankfully, not a commonly-used one.
  • As with Buzzwole, I can usually brute force through Scizor and it isn’t that common, but a more elegant solution would be welcome.
  • I can’t remember any instances of being punished for having three team members vulnerable to ground, but it’s definitely a glaring stacked weakness.
  • As mentioned before, I’m still not sure whether P2, Celesteela, or something else is the best choice for the last spot. I climbed to 1400+ on the PS ladder with Celesteela on the team, then did it again with P2.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you could probably drop Aegislash for Celesteela to improve your Buzzwole / Scizor matchup, however WP Aegi handles both of those pretty well anyway so i don't think they're a huge issue for your team anyway. I'll leave the set below anyway:
Celesteela @ Firium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice / Leech Seed
- Air Slash / Protect / Substitute

Inferno Overdrive has bopped me a few times now and I've been wanting to try it out myself, it OHKOes other Cele, AV Buzzwole, Magnezone, and Flamethrower gets those Scizor for you. You can go all-out special or do the regular SubSeed strat. HP Ice does big damage to the Dragons you're meant to wall, and Air Slash can be used against Buzzwole if you want to save the Z move.

Otherwise I think the team looks fine, nice job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)