Torchic

CUTE!!!

Torchic is such a cute lil critter, but you would be darned to underestimate it. With the advent of 5th gen, Torchic has gotten a little toy to play with called Speed Boost, which (although it has lackluster speed) could help it contribute in the chaotic Little Cup Metagame.

Abilities:
Blaze
Speed Boost*(Dream World)

Base Stats:
45/60/40/70/50/45

Level up:

- Scratch
- Growl
7 Focus Energy
10 Ember
16 Peck
19 Sand-attack
25 Fire Spin
28 Quick Attack
34 Slash
37 Mirror Move
43 Flamethrower

Learnable TMs: TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM17 - Protect, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM43 - Nitro Charge, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM49 - Echo Voice, TM50 - Overheat, TM59 - Complete Burn, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM04 - Strength

Egg Moves:
Counter
Reversal
Endure
SmellingSalt
Crush Claw
Baton Pass
Agility
Night Slash
Last Resort
Feint
FeatherDance
Curse
[M481]Fire Burst *can someone tell me what this does?
Low Kick

Boosting Dancer

Evs: 196 Atk 36 SpA 236 Spe
Nature: Naughty/Lonely
Item: Oran Berry/ Life Orb (maybe?)
Moves:
Swords Dance
Fire Blast/Shadow Claw/Night Slash
Quick Attack
Baton Pass

Torchic is the only Pokemon in the entire Little Cup Metagame that has speed boost and Swords Dance. Although Torchic doesn't have a very good offensive movepool, it is good enough for its purpose. Fire Blast is for Bronzor and Snover mainly, but Shadow Claw and Night Slash are also decent choices. The reason why Quich Attack is chosen in the third slot is because priority is rampant in little cup, and you wouldn't want Guts Taillow to stop you cold and keep you from passing anything. This set is utterly walled by Munchlax, but that's the beauty of Baton Pass. If Torchic gets enough boosts in Speed alone, it can pass to something like Cubone or Machop, which could get real scary real fast.

Defensive BoostPass
Evs: 236 Hp 36 SpD 236 Spe
Nature: Jolly/Timid, Calm/Careful
Item: Oran Berry/Petaya Berry/Passho Berry/Focus Sash
Moves:
Protect/Substitute
Featherdance/Will-O-Wisp/
Baton Pass
Substitute/Curse/Swords Dance/Claw Sharpen

This set is a more defensive approach to passing and takes advantage of all the great things Torchic has to pass. Instead of focusing on sweeping with Torchic and passing when cornered, this set focuses on actively attempting to aquire boosts to assist the team. Protect keeps Fake Out at bay, but can be replaced by Substitute if that isn't a concern. Featherdance helps Torchic last longer in the face of physical attackers, and while Will-O-Wisp has the same effect, Featherdance effects the pokemon even if it is already afflicted with status or if its immune to burn. Substitute is good in the last slot if you decided to choose Protect in the first slot, but Swords Dance is also a great option to double the Utility of Torchic and set up for a devastating physical sweep. Curse is a very strange move to see on something like Torchic, but you must realize that Speed Boost cancels out all speed drops done by Curse, while Torchic boosts its defenses o.O wierd huh?. Claw Sharpen is to assist recipients that use inaccurate moves like Stone Edge.

Well those are all the sets I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are more out there. Does anybody else have something to say about how Torchic will effect the LC Metagame?

This would also be quite scary passing speed boosts to a Deepseatooth Clamperl. Wow, that's actually quite scary now that I think about it. Not quite as scary as, say, a +2/+3 Marowak, but nobody prepares for the CLAMPERL!

This would also be quite scary passing speed boosts to a Deepseatooth Clamperl. Wow, that's actually quite scary now that I think about it. Not quite as scary as, say, a +2/+3 Marowak, but nobody prepares for the CLAMPERL!
I think Deepseatooth is banned in Little Cup, but yeah if Torchic passes to something like Cubone, it could get real bad real fast for the other team. Does anybody else have something to say about the terror that is Torchic (lol)?

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because you can only use moves that the Pokemon learn up to level 5 (unless there is use of the pomeg glitch), so Torchic cannot get Speed Boost and Quick Attack.

..And I'm pretty sure Pomeg Glitch is allowed, although I'm usually not the guy to ask.
Pomeg Glitch wouldn't matter; it only applies to genderless. Gendered mons can breed their adult moves (and their Dream World abilities), so Quick Attack is fine.

Also, I don't know if the Pomeg Glitch is confirmed to even exist in Gen V.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)