SM OU Trevenant Stall Team

Trevenant is a very interesting Pokemon, and I saw potential in its moveset, so I wanted to try out a kind of novelty team with it. It's been receiving pretty mixed results so far, so I wanted to try and get some advice maximize its effectiveness.Pablo (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Taunt This is a standard hazard-setting Smeargle, filling the same role it usually does on teams. Sticky Web and Stealth Rock both punish opponents for trying to switch out of Trevenant's Leech Seed, while Spore and Taunt fill their usual roles. Sticky Web also helps Trevenant in that, while it's usually too slow for even Sticky Web to make a difference, it allows it to set up Substitutes faster than less speedy threats such as Magearna.

Explodicus (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Roost Charizard sets up sunlight to allow Trevenant's Harvest to activate every turn, essentially giving it free Substitutes as long as the sun is out. It also destroys the Grass-types immune to Trevenant's Leech Seed, carrying Air Slash over Focus Blast to let it hit Mega Venusaur effectively.

FunFruit (Trevenant) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Substitute The center around which I built this team; it seeks to stay in the game as long as possible by hiding behind Substitutes, draining health from opponents, and repeatedly harvesting Sitrus Berries. Will-O-Wisp allows it to take physical attacks better. It also blocks Rapid Spin, allowing hazards to stay up longer.

Basil (Bisharp) (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance Here mainly to punish Defog users, so as to try and keep hazards up as long as possible. It also takes care of threats to Trevenant such as most Ghost-types or Psychics carrying Shadow Ball.

Marina (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 8 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
My hazard remover, as this team is seriously bothered by hazards. It also sets up Toxic Spikes, punishing switching further, and Haze can prevent setup sweepers from causing too much trouble.
Treble (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

The team's cleric, mainly there to take care of status and to heal teammates with Wish. It also effectively handles Mega Sableye, which this team is otherwise horrified of, and Unaware lets it handle setup sweepers.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hello RainbowTubaStudios. This really isn't going to be a "rate" as I feel the team you've created has enough structural and conceptual flaws that it would be a better use of both of our times if instead we discussed some of the major issues of your team, and came up with solutions so that you can build better teams in the future.

Firstly we have a stall team. Now I'll be honest ever since the banning of Dugtrio stall has gotten harder to build, and use, so you have my sympathy there. However, with this situation of stall getting harder and harder to build the creativity aspect of it sadly needs to falter a bit to keep the style afloat. With this in mind then use of Trevanent is already a large negative, as you're losing the ability to use one of stalls pillars in Mega Sableye. Then the team adds on Pokemon like Charizard-Y and Bisharp who have no real busness on stall as they fail to keep up with the bulky methodical approach of a stall team. There is also the use of Tentacruel who fights with Alomomola and Toxapex about taking up a slot as a stallish bulky water, and more often than not Tentacruel loses due to its lack of recovery making it a subpar selection comparitevly. With that being said I do want to help you, as you took the time to bump your thread showing a true interest in getting better. Basically I want to help you, and I plan on doing so - but rating this team, replacing several mons, isn't going to do that. Instead I'd perfer to go over what constitutes a good stall team through the use of examples, and hope that it helps you grow as a player and builder.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Flash Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Volt Switch

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-321429

This is a stall team used in the Smogon Snake Draft Tour. It's probably one of the better stall teams you'll find around. You can use it as a bit more of an example of what a good stall team looks like. If you'll notice with this team all 6 mons are pretty bulky and defensive oriented, which is a key difference in this team to the stall you built with Zard-Y and Bisharp. Now obviously this isn't the only viable stall out there, but for somone just starting out I feel it's definitely a good team to try out. I included a replay so you can see the team in action as well, probably give you a better understanding of how to use the team then me sitting here listing off plays to make in scenario x and so on.

I'm also going to attach some links to resources that could help you with future building:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-viability-ranking-thread.3590726/

This first link is the viability rankings, which will list/rank the mons in the tier so you get a better idea on what works in the tier

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-sample-teams.3606650/

This next link is the sample teams thread. You can use it to find some proven good teams to use and get better at the game firsthand with through repition of playing games with an adequate team.
To wrap this up I want to wish you good luck in building, and stalling in the future. I know this can be a lot to process, and the all the entriquacies of this game can seem hard to grasp, but I definitely encourage you to keep grinding and eventually it will all just click. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to let me know, and I'll be glad to do anything I can to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)