Triple Star- A team attempting to utilise 3 different strategies to win.

Now this is a fun little team I made for my Byakuya account on Shoddy (Where every account has its own theme!) and before I know it I get to top 100, and it's something like #15 now, just as a result of testing out some strategies. Oh, and you'll see that this team is attempting three things, the general idea is that they'll fall for one of them. They are:

Paralysis Spreading for a Togekiss sweep
SR laying down because they'll be switching out a lot
General sweep

So without further ado, the pokemon:

Uxie @ Leftovers "Siren"
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/50 Def/8 Spd/200 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Quickly turning out to be one of my favorite leads, being both very sturdy, fast, and having a plethora of support moves. Gengar annoys this, but if he uses hypnosis and misses, he's as good as dead and if he attacks, then he's dead too. Tbolt for Gyarados.

Jirachi @ Leftovers "Flitter"
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/216 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
- Zen Headbutt
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Replacing Forry from the old rendition is Jirachi, a pokemon that does everything Forry did, but now also spreads paralysis around, Wish support and can deal decent damage with Zen Headbutt. Counters everything the steel type inherently counters, I.E Dragons, Weavile, Deoxys-E, etc

Starmie @ Leftovers "Centre Star"
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 172 HP/216 Spd/120 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Recover
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

After deeming Sceptile pretty ineffective, since it could do no real damage, I went with the next best thing, Starmie. Gyarados, Infernape and Garchomp killer all in one many pointed package. I'd go with a spinner set, but the only thing that SR bothers is Kiss, who can FlinchLefties or Roost it off. This isn't really trying to sweep with Blissey around, but I don't put that past it. On the plus side, this forces a lot of switches to special walls.

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers "Serenity"
EVs: 252 HP/86 Def/124 SDef/48 Spd
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

This generally should be known by most battlers already. One of the most annoying pokemon on the planet, if their team reaches Paralysis Point then I'll just attempt to kill with this. Nasty Plot helps versus Cresselia and Snorlax (The 46 Spd Evs outspeed Cressy, by the way). Aura Sphere is for terminating all those pokemon weak to fighting, most of whom can't kill Kiss in a single blow. I just want to hug this thing.

Infernape (F) @ Expert Belt "Volcanica"
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 18 Atk/240 SAtk/252 Spd
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

When all else fails, attempt a mixape sweep. Nothing gets into this very easily. Not much more to say about this guy though, good pokemon. It's also worthless to note that I like monkeys...yeah. EB over LO since the damage done to yourself I'm not keen on for a poke that resists neither Sand not Hail.

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry "Sandy Jaws"
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

That's riiiight. Sandy Jaws himself makes an appearance in the fray. Very standard SD chomp, yet so effective. The paralysis n' shit everywhere helps this guys, as if you're slower than Garchomp it's a pretty bad situation. You survive most Ice beams and stuff anyways, but this is mainly so lamoswine and lamevile don't revenge me. Sand Veil is cool, but I never rely on it.

Threat list:

Tyranitar- Due to unpredictability, I just try to Twave it and quickly dispatch with Chomp.
Gyarados- Twave/Zap Cannon
Infernape-Togekiss/Uxie
Azelf- Uxie
Electivire- I only have two electric attacks to come into, neither of which expected. Either way, Forretress, but check for Lamethrower first.
Heracross- Prediction between Uxie and Forretress.
Salamence-Twave it, then it becomes a thousand times ea_sier.
Togekiss-Twave this and it's gone. (Then YOU paraflinch it
Gengar- Attempt a wave, if it Hypnotizes you, go to Kiss.
Garchomp- Ehh...prediction for choice sets, Sceptile/Ape revenge kill.
Lucario-Twaving it generally has the best results, but it's not really coming in on anything.
Starmie- Uxie can turn to Sceptile( Who can itself come in on everything but beam)
Weavile- Jirachi paralyzes it. Once Weavile has no speed, it's not worth much.
Dugtrio- It can kill Ape and low health Jirachi, but everything else is alright with it.
PorygonZ- Jirachi
Machamp- Uxie works
Snorlax- Togekiss to flinch to death, Infernape actually kills it
Zapdos- Twaving/Slamming this is good
Suicune-Togekiss/Uxie
Breloom- I'll have something absorb the sleep (Though actually Uxie outspeeds some varients)
Slaking- Jirachi
Ninjask- Just keep attacking it.
Metagross- Eh, I try to Paralyze it so that most everything can kill it.
Heatran- No direct switch in for a specs set, but it's not really coming in. For Scarf and stuff, Uxie is pretty good at stopping it.
Jirachi- Eh, I'll test with Starmie to check if he's trying to status me, if not then Chomp chomp.
Dragonite- Get it to outrage, then Jirachu.
Mamoswine- Starmie, Uxie, all work.
Gallade-Eh, Uxie.
Yanmega-Try to twave it, if it uses Hypnosis, then go to Togekiss.
Kingdra-Not even scary without rain, with it just try and outlast it.
Roserade- The hell does this do? Absorb sleep, then go to Chomp or something.
Scizor- Hm...Jirachi I suppose.
There, that should do it for now. If you have anything to add, feel free to tell me here or on Shoddy (Name's Light, don'tcha know).

Give Uxie 6 spd evs and 52 def evs. Forretress might want some sdef. Togekiss needs some spd to take advantage of Air Slash hax. Make it timid. Or you could give it Twave > NP.

Sorry but epic fail. That Forretress has no business "countering" Garchomp or Weavile w/out Gyro Ball. Zap Cannon is shit, give it Gyro Ball. Flinch from water and the bad accuracy is a no go, and it only 2HKOs Gyara I believe.

You do realize Adamant Mamoswine w/CB does enough to beat up Garchomp enough to the point where Technician Fake Out+Quick Attack from Ambipom kills it. That is pretty weak.

Yeah man, this is epic fail.. it's #15 on ladder.. meaning it beats the masses enough to be top 20.

good call Albatross..

Anyways, so far all the suggestions are horrible.

I do only see 1 type of para support, [zap cannon isn't too reliable on accuracy] but maybe Uxie does more than I think.

If anything doesn't fit, it would be Garchomp, but he's such a threat alone, that it doesn't matter if there is synergy with it or not.

Idk, I really like the team. Has a few favorites of mine. So good work on top 20

Interesting how you say Heatran and Lucario aren't really coming in when they can come in on about half of your team with less threat than you would expect.

The team for the most part is excellent, but the flaws lay in your survivability for longer, more grueling matches. Sceptile has problems aiding the switch into Infernape, Garchomp and Togekiss, as all can be hurt pretty badly by a Celebi or [Fire Type]. Heavy water attackers can smash through you pretty badly, Azumarill, for example, will break through Sceptile and can rampage through your team from there on, and as you know, Gyarados with Life Orb can also destroy you. Garchomp is very much an add-on for the sake of it, consider Vaporeon over it, as Infernape can take out just about everything that Garchomp would KO due to speed advantage. If you don't like Vappy as a Wisher, you can choose any of these, but none quite fill the role that Vaporeon can.

I see you're on number 14 now(Of the ladder) and by the time I'm done you may be higher, lol. Keep up the easily rate-able teams. :)

I don't think Zap Cannon is the best idea for Forry
(accuracy low, base 60 sp.atk, bulkydos base 100 sp.def & probably EV'd)
I suggest replacing it with S-rock so Uxie can have T-bolt to do more crippling to the obvious. Whatever you do to Forry NO TOXIC SPIKES.
I like the ScarfChomp variant myself, but SDChomp delivers more damage & coverage.
Your threats are Gengar, BPjask (no easy way to stop it), Heatran, SDcross & CM/Special Jirachi. Good luck battling. 3.8/5 okay

Give Uxie 6 spd evs and 52 def evs. Forretress might want some sdef. Togekiss needs some spd to take advantage of Air Slash hax. Make it timid. Or you could give it Twave > NP.
The 8 EVs are there for stuff meant to outspeed no speed 95s. I'm not fond of Sp. Def on Forry, I'm switching him right out anyways. And togekiss is a side strat that'll probably kill the two or so pokemon paralyzed by Uxie, but it does have enough speed to flinch 85 base and below.

Sorry but epic fail. That Forretress has no business "countering" Garchomp or Weavile w/out Gyro Ball. Zap Cannon is shit, give it Gyro Ball. Flinch from water and the bad accuracy is a no go, and it only 2HKOs Gyara I believe.

You do realize Adamant Mamoswine w/CB does enough to beat up Garchomp enough to the point where Technician Fake Out+Quick Attack from Ambipom kills it. That is pretty weak.

Forretress stops Scarfchomp in its tracks, the only chomp it needs to stop. EQ does enough to it and the residual spikes damage means it's not coming in long. And Forry with or without Gyro ball has "Weavile counter" written all over it, seeing as you 3HKO it with EQ while it does nothing to you. And Zap Cannon makes no attempt of KOing Gyara. Simply once Gyara is paralyzed, it is no longer a threat. And yes, we all know that not many sweepers are going to live through CB Ice Shard, Fake Out, then Quick Attack.

Yeah man, this is epic fail.. it's #15 on ladder.. meaning it beats the masses enough to be top 20.

good call Albatross..

Anyways, so far all the suggestions are horrible.

I do only see 1 type of para support, [zap cannon isn't too reliable on accuracy] but maybe Uxie does more than I think.

If anything doesn't fit, it would be Garchomp, but he's such a threat alone, that it doesn't matter if there is synergy with it or not.

Idk, I really like the team. Has a few favorites of mine. So good work on top 20

Uxie and Forry can be counted on to paralyze 2-3 pokes a match, a figure that I find suits that number of kills Togekiss should get. It's not a major part of the team, more of a sideshow. And yes, you've figured me out. Garchomp was stuck in under the excuse of Tbolt absorber. But Garchomp always works well enough for me that I'm having trouble NOT using it.

Interesting how you say Heatran and Lucario aren't really coming in when they can come in on about half of your team with less threat than you would expect.

The team for the most part is excellent, but the flaws lay in your survivability for longer, more grueling matches. Sceptile has problems aiding the switch into Infernape, Garchomp and Togekiss, as all can be hurt pretty badly by a Celebi or [Fire Type]. Heavy water attackers can smash through you pretty badly, Azumarill, for example, will break through Sceptile and can rampage through your team from there on, and as you know, Gyarados with Life Orb can also destroy you. Garchomp is very much an add-on for the sake of it, consider Vaporeon over it, as Infernape can take out just about everything that Garchomp would KO due to speed advantage. If you don't like Vappy as a Wisher, you can choose any of these, but none quite fill the role that Vaporeon can.

I see you're on number 14 now(Of the ladder) and by the time I'm done you may be higher, lol. Keep up the easily rate-able teams. :)

Oh, Lucario and Heatran can come in easily enough on Sceptile, but everything else they have something to be wary about. (And Sceptile is going to sub, and when I realize what the set is after they attack the sub, that's when things get easier. Azumarill hasn't given me much trouble, seeing as how Cresselia er I mean Uxie basically walls it, paralyzes it, it loses. And yes, Gyarados with Life Orb is quite an issue, provided as how I may not get a Zap Cannon in with 50% accuracy, but without lefties it has limited kills, as SR and switching in are a bother. And you have also found out my Garchomp randomness. I'd love to switch it out, but I'm just sorta addicted to it, it's a great sweeper that I can't get enough of. Also, I believe my latest win made me rise to #13. Fun stuff.

Keep up the great ratings!

A couple of things.

1. You lack a phazer, which could be troublesome against BP teams and Pokemon immune to T-wave. Maybe Yawn on Uxie somewhere?
2. Zap Cannon's acccuarcy is awful.
3. Half of your team is weak to Ice which is very troublesome.

Looks pretty good though. Massive props for using some Under rated pokemon.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Now this is a fun little team I made for my Byakuya account

No more blaming me for revealing you.

and it's something like #15 now

Go die.

Uxie @ Leftovers "Siren"
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/50 Def/8 Spd/200 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

Seems ok although I would Thunderbolt for Gyaradoses just incase they ARE faster. So Thunderbolt over Psychic.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers "Bags"
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Zap Cannon

Seems okay.

Sceptile (F) @ Leftovers "Holiday Hopper"
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed

I would go with 216 Spd to just outspeed base 115 Pokemon by 2 and the rest of the EVs into HP for more recovery. Having Max speed isn't really needed anyway since, while watching you battle, I only see you set up on things slower (duh) so max spd isn't needed.

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers "Serenity"
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/110 SDef/46 Spd
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

Perfect except for one thing. You're wasting ONE whole stat point. You see, 110 and 46 are not divisible by 4, but leaves 2 EVs remaining each.

108 EVs would generate the same total stat as 110.
44 EVs would generate teh same total stat as 46.

So EV spread should be "252 HP, 100 Def, 108 SDef, 48 Spd".

Infernape (M) @ Expert Belt "Volcanica"
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 18 Atk/240 SAtk/252 Spd
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Yay.

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry "Sandy Jaws"
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

K.
I think I should warn you about Boah. Once it gets a sub up, you'll have to scarifice a team member to take it down or even worse, just forcing a switch.

Sent Tbolt to Siren, SR to Bags. Fixed Togekiss EVs.

The main reason I'm against giving Sceppy some HP is that tying and killing Alakazam and Duggy has more value to me than like 10 HP.

With Uxie U-turning, and handling it's business.. maybe you could have Garchomp as a Choice Scarfer. To handle a threat after Uxie U-turns.

At least 1 Scarf user is good on a team.

Ugh, I really want to see at least 1 more T-wave in there somewhere.. Or at least Body Slam on Togekiss, idkkkk

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You'd think a 50% move isn't a good way to counter gyarados, but back when i was using a team with zap cannon forrey as my only gyarados counter i never failed to hit it before it dd'ed enough to kill forrey and the rest of my team. of course there's the off-chance you're really unlucky one day, but oh well.

and junior how does he have to sack a pokemon to boah? togekiss handles it well with aura sphere and forrey can take any subtar that isn't running flamethrower.

running both spikes/stealth rock on forrey is definitely not the way to go. with no form of recovery it's unlikely it'd be able to get all 4 layers up. and if your opp has a rapid spinner/magnezone you might as well kiss your support goodbye. you could always replace u-turn on uxie in order to keep tbolt. though given your team's troubles switching in it'd be nice to reap the benefits of the free switch provided by u-turn so eeh.

but overall i just don't like that you have to predict too many things. the only pokemon on your team that has recovery is togekiss, so even if you predict correctly almost every time you're still going to get worn down. i don't see your team being so quick paced that they can win before this happens either.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Sent Tbolt to Siren, SR to Bags. Fixed Togekiss EVs.

The main reason I'm against giving Sceppy some HP is that tying and killing Alakazam and Duggy has more value to me than like 10 HP.
Yay for taking my suggestions.

As for EVs on Scepty, I don't think its a good idea to rely on speed ties. The reason why I don't think max speed is important as well is simply because you would usually have a sub out when they switch in to revenge kill. Noone would switch something as fragile as Dug and Zam into anything to be honest.

You'd think a 50% move isn't a good way to counter gyarados, but back when i was using a team with zap cannon forrey as my only gyarados counter i never failed to hit it before it dd'ed enough to kill forrey and the rest of my team. of course there's the off-chance you're really unlucky one day, but oh well.

and junior how does he have to sack a pokemon to boah? togekiss handles it well with aura sphere and forrey can take any subtar that isn't running flamethrower.

running both spikes/stealth rock on forrey is definitely not the way to go. with no form of recovery it's unlikely it'd be able to get all 4 layers up. and if your opp has a rapid spinner/magnezone you might as well kiss your support goodbye. you could always replace u-turn on uxie in order to keep tbolt. though given your team's troubles switching in it'd be nice to reap the benefits of the free switch provided by u-turn so eeh.

but overall i just don't like that you have to predict too many things. the only pokemon on your team that has recovery is togekiss, so even if you predict correctly almost every time you're still going to get worn down. i don't see your team being so quick paced that they can win before this happens either.
Very valid points, I'm not saying it's an easy team to use, prediction is practically needed. And I'm considering Replacing Forry for a Jirachi with SR/Body Slam/Zen Headbutt/Wish. It'll serve the SR role I like as well as a Paralysis and Flinchhax role.

And Junior, I just don't like Dugtrio, that is all.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Wow. Nice Team.
If you wanted another sturdy Pokemon that functions similarly to Forry, but aid the overall team better (specifically Togekiss) Jirachi would be a good candidate. He gets Thunder/Thunder Wave and Zen Headbutt. This adds to your theme. You receive the heavy defenses you get by opting to go with a Steel Poke. You keep Stealth Rock, and you lose 4x Fire weakness for a more appreciable 2x. Additionally, Jirachi is capable of learning Wish as well as U-Turn to the benefit of your team. Electric moves are not really a necessity because Uxie should have taken care of Paralyzing the opposing team.

You said you were afraid of Heatran/Lucario switch ins on Sceptile. Fixing this can be accomplished easily. By dropping the Stab you'd get from Grass Knot you can opt for a Physical Sceptile. The reason for doing so is because Sceptile's role is not a Sweeper on your team. Its function is to Sub-Seed. However, by dropping Grass Knot and HP Ice you get a lot more if you replace it with Eartquake and Dragon Claw. EQ easily takes care of Heatran and Lucario. So you lost your Dragon killing capability, unless you replace it with Dragon Claw. DC will 2HKO Garchomp, and you will not take any damage in between the 2HKO you'll get a DC in, they'll either Swords Dance/attack, either way you're safe behind a Sub, and then you'll Dragon Claw again FTW. In this way you can actually do more that the other set because Grass Knot is not needed since you have got Infernape and can take care of Rhyperior and such (below).

I know it's hard to pass up Garchomp as and Electric absorber, however Sceptile resists Electric and can dish out the second fastest Earthquake to take care of any pesky Electrics. This leaves Garchomp unnecessary except as a "Filler" Poke. Starmie wants to be in you team now. Starmie is fast, has a diverse movepool, and can learn Rapid Spin (taken away by removing Forry) if need be. Moves: T-Bolt (takes care of Gyara and opposing waters), Ice Beam (conjunction w/ Water types, destroys Dragons), HP Bug (Celebi, opposing Psychics, and Dark types), and Hydro Pump/Surf. Why Hydro Pump? Half of your opponents team is going to be under Paralysis and so iffy accuracy is not so much a problem for the power trade. With Life Orb you will be doing a LOT of damage, especially after Stealth Rock damage. You don't fear any of the obvious switch in. May have problems with Yanmega, but those are usually Leads... I just don't see a reason to allow Weavile to pick off 1/6 of your team.

Alright, so I replaced Forretress with Jirachi, and am on the verge of replacing Sceptile with something more...hm..well, damaging or useful. I'm thinking either Starmie or a phazer like Suicune can fit this spot pretty well.

Sceptile is what makes this team genuine and "unique". Adding Suicune or Starmie basically makes this team like 95% of Shoddy. But whatever works I guess.

You could always take out Garchompppp

Okay congrats for top 20 but seriously people should stop posting what rank they are or whatever. It is really pathetic IMO that people have to post, I am ranked bla blah blah in order for people to give you advice and props. People that rate teams rate differently than they do normally when you do this, and it doesn't give me any motive to rate your team if you are doing well already.

You severely need Gyro Ball on Forry. Without it, this team is given hell by Weavile and Tyranitar, hell even Choice Scarf Honchkrow.

Your team is a bit weak on the defensive side, it seems like just Uxie and Forretress wouldn't cut it, but w/e works for ya, obviously working pretty well.

Good team overall, tho I really think HP Fire>Ice on Sceptile. It still hits Celebi as hard(tho you won't be beating it due to Recover/possibly CM), while hitting Forretress, Scizor, Jirachi and Skarmory all hard(Jirachi doesn't care too much but the others do.) Seriously, this team will just be set up on if Skarmory comes in, all it has to do is set up Spikes and Phaze Sceptile away.

Well, I updated the team quite a bit, so check it out guys.

And as for the fact that I posted my ranking, it was more casually to show that it sped me up the ladder, not trying to brag (My pokemanz are better than yours).

The changes mainly remove Forry and Sceppy and put in Jirachi and Starmie, as they patch some of my problems up.

one problem i see is no one takes status except starmie, and you're still sacrificing a poke to sleep

very similar to my team though ;D and maybe a bit better xD

one problem i see is no one takes status except starmie, and you're still sacrificing a poke to sleep

very similar to my team though ;D and maybe a bit better xD
he does have an immunity to poison and thunder wave, and burn doesn't really hurt quite a few of his pokes.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
If you're wanting Starmie to deal damage, see how equipping Life Orb goes. It'll give you that extra kick, and you're more than quick enough to Recover off the damage when the opportune moment presents itself.

I've played this team a number of times now - I must say that I really like it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)