ORAS UU Turning the Tables - A UU Semi Stall Team - Currently in Top 100 and Climbing

Introduction

Hey everyone! This is Rykard here doing my first RMT on Smogon for UU. I have been using this team for a very long time now and only recently actually attempted to ladder with it, pretty easily breaking into the top 100. I didn't have a ton of patience to keep going, but it has proven its worth against a large majority of threats in UU and will continue to do so. For a video guide to this team you can watch here. Otherwise, on to the Pokemon!

Teambuilding Process

Umbreon is my favorite Pokemon, so it was natural that I started off with selecting this pokemon. Not only does Umbreon have amazing special defensive capabilities, but it also keeps my team healthy through Wish and Heal Bell.

After picking Umbreon, I knew I needed a Pokemon to cover its weakness and be an effective physical wall. Gligar just happened to be the perfect pick for that considering it resists 2 of Umbreon's weaknesses and can set up hazards for me.

With a solid core already established, I knew that I needed something on my team to further support against really common set up sweepers and shut down opposing walls. Jellicent, with its access to taunt, scald burns, and really great typing turned out to be a fantastic counter to a lot of these Pokemon such as Calm Minders like Suicune and support walls like any of the Eeveelutions, Florges Etc. Plus it can also spin block for me.

After this trio was established, I knew I needed to start building a solid offense; however as you will see below, I did it in a somewhat defensive way. AV Mienshao is something that turned out to be an amazing switch in to a number of special attackers and can then outright kill them with its strong combination of attacks. Plus, having access to U-turn allows me some much needed switch initiative that this team sorely needs.

In addition to Mienshao, I needed another attacker on my team that could provide me with some priority to clean up end game or take out fast sweepers on my opponent's opposing team. Entei turned out the be the best thing with its ability to pack Extreme Speed and spread burns with Sacred Fire. Furthermore, my team sorely lacks a fairy resist, and while Entei isn't the bulkiest thing in the world, it is able to take some hits as necessary.

After playing around with this team for a little while using Tentacruel in this last slot, I noticed my team still had a weakness to certain types of physical attackers, mainly things like Crobat, Feraligatr, Krookodile, Gyarados, and many others. Avalugg turned out to be the perfect fit to this team after realizing how insanely physically bulky he is, capable of living even powerful super effective hits.

The Team

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
As mentioned above, Umbreon is my primary special wall and cleric of the team. This set is pretty standard with the exception of running a few speed EVs to outspeed other pokemon in the same speed tier as it, which has come in handy on numerous occasions. As a special wall, Umbreon is absolutely amazing, capable of walling most special attackers in the tier and keeping its health up through Wish and Heal Bell. Also, due to the bulkyness of most of the team, Wish is absolutely amazing for sustaining the health of my Pokemon throughout battle. Furthermore, Synchronize proves to be an invaluable ability time and time again by passing statuses and Scald burns on to my opponents and then removing them with Heal Bell.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
Similar to Umbreon, Gligar is running a pretty standard set. The 48 speed EVs allow it to U-Turn on things that it would normally have to directly switch out on. Also, as mentioned before, this guy is my primary physical wall and hazard setter. It works amazingly in combination with Umbreon, often being a recipient of wishes as well as being backed up by Avalugg to wall almost all unboosted physical attackers. While its earthquakes don't do as much damage as I wish they would, it still is a very good STAB move that can slowly wear down opponents if need be.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 116 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
In order to taunt opposing attackers effectively, I need to sacrifice a lot of bulk that is typically seen on Jellicent in favor of speed. With a timid nature and 152 Speed EVs, I can effectively outspeed most Suicune and Cresselia that try to calm mind unless they are trying to super speed creep. In addition, I'm able completely shut down opposing healers/clerics like the Eeveelutions and Florges as well as be able to prevent hazards from being set up. The move choces in Scald and Toxic allow me to also effectively spread status and wear down opposing walls over time.

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- U-turn
Assault Vest Mienshao is probably the most interesting member of my team, primarily because I've never seen anyone else run it before. Just running an assault vest, however, is not enough to allow this Pokemon to be bulky enough to take special hits. 40 HP EVs and 216 SpD EVs gives you the best possible special bulk and the remainder 252 EVs are put into speed to make Mienshao still a threat as an attacker. Simply put, Mienshao can already kill most of the things it needs to without the attack investment, and the defenses coupled with Regenerator all it to repeatedly switch in on special attacks, allowing me plenty of opportunities to scout the move sets of Pokemon like Hydreigon, Celebi, Porygon-Z, and Chandelure and even being able to wear down Florges, Sylveon, and Diancie at low health by surviving Moonblasts and Hypervoices from non offensive variants of both. For example, a Modest 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor does 78.2% - 92.8% damage, meaning that at full health, I can reliably switch in to Stealth Rock and force it out. Additionally, because of U-turn, I am easily able to find multiple opportunities to regain health lost with Regenerator and wish passing into this guy is absolutely amazing. For a more detailed explanation on this set, you can check out this video here.

Entei @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
For a long time, I debated as to which would be better, Entei or Arcanine. I eventually decided on this guy because Sacred Fire is just too good to pass up. Coupled with Stone Edge and Extreme Speed, this Pokemon has essentially all the coverage that it needs. As a result, this allowed me a lot of room to play around with the 4th moveslot. I found that over time, running Leftovers was preferred over the standard Choice Band set because it allowed me more opportunities to switch in and threaten things out. I later found that running Protect made his sustainability in battle even more effective and also allowed me to stall out more burn and toxic damage inflicted by Sacred Fire and statuses other teammates inflict. It also allows me to scout choiced Pokemon, Pressure stall certain moves, and on occasion kill a High Jump Kicking Mienshao, which is just hilarious.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Avalugg with max defense and a Rocky Helmet turned out to be the perfect stop to many physical attackers that Gligar is unable to handle. The 24 speed EVs allow me to outspeed base 30 Speed Pokemon, which has helped against opposing Slowking as well as Escavalier that I have run into on occasion. As for move choices, Avalanche and Earthquake have amazing type coverage with each other and do a lot of damage off of its high base attack, even with no investment. Earthquake also allows me to kill Chandelure in the switch in attempting to spin block. The Rocky Helmet forces a lot of physical attackers to essentially kill themselves, especially U-Turners once Stealth Rock is up or put them in KO range for Entei.

Threats

This team has a few notable threats that can give it a difficult time

1) Specs Sylveon

This particular threat gives me a lot of trouble, mainly because it is very hard for me to have a reliable switch in to it. While Entei can live 2 Hyper Voices provided rocks aren't up, I more or less have to try extremely hard to not give this Pokemon a safe switch in and slowly wear it down.

2) Rest-Talk Calm Mind Aromatisse

I've never ran into this because I legtimately think nobody has ever used this move set, but this can 6-0 my team because I can't taunt it with Jellicent.

3) T-Wave + Iron Head + Swords Dance Cobalion

I have lost to this before more or less dying to paraflinching. While Gligar should technically beat this set, I am just really unlucky sometimes

4) Calm Mind Reuniclus with Shadow Ball

While most typically pack Focus Blast, the occasional Shadow Ball Reuniclus can stop Jellicent from putting an end to its set up and take it out. While this does allow Umbreon to deal with it better, it can't kill it anyway so I would eventually lose provided proper team support on my opponent's end.

5) Missing Stone Edge with Entei

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-454682660
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-453364319
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-345085675
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-456188153

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Entei @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Last edited:
Hey man cool team but you have some funny Pokemon choices that are really holding you back, and are simply outclassed. First off, I love umbreon to death but it's simply really outclassed with so many specs sylveon running around (which you mentioned as the number one threat to your team). Umbreon is practically asking for your opponent to switch their sylveon in, which with rocks up, sweeps through your core. The solution to this is to change umbreon to blissey (set below) as it will allow you to handle most special attacker much better. While wish is not optimal, your team really needs the support, so it's the standard wish set with max phys def, as the extra SpDef isn't needed. Next avalugg is bad and I don't know why it's your team. You'd be much better if going with fortress over avalugg as it can set up spikes for you, making jellicent a reasonable pick as it serves as a spinblocker. On a team like yours spike stack can really pressure your opponent, and is especially good with spinning tentacruel as one of the most popular forms of hazard control which jelly walls. Now your team can much more reliably widdle down offense with hazard stack and deal with strong sp attackers. Your mienshao set is quite frankly really weird and with blissey I'd suggest changing it to a standard LO attacker with regen but that's up to you. Good luck and I hope these changes will help you, sorry for the paragraph blob formatting or any erroneous spelling and grammar mistakes as I typed this on mobile.

Sets
Blissey @ leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Speed
Wish
Protect
Seismic Toss
Heal Bell

Fortress @ leftovers
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef
Relaxed
Overcoat ( personal preference with stallish teams)
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Volt Switch
Pain Spilt

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello there! I'm going to be brutaly honest here: while I do get the idea behind most of the sets you're using, some of them are just not quite good in the current metagame, fixing these will be my main goal as a rater here.

<
Mienshao simply doesn't have enough bulk to make good use of Assault Vest. While Regenerator may seem useful as first, it's simply too frail to be any good here. It'll still drop to most special attacker while also getting walled easily. On the other hand Conkeldurr makes great use of Assault Vest, making it a solid Hydreigon check, one of the main special attackers of the tier while also crippling most teams with the combination of Knock Off & Drain Punch. It'll also be able to use Guts to give it more power versus the scald users tha are all around the tier.

Leftovers Entei seems like a waste of it's offensive potential. Using the standard Choice Band set would greatly improve the offensive pressure your team applies by dropping very Strong Sacred Fires all over the opposing teams. Choice Banded team is extremely effective right now, able to threaten it's sturdier check like Swampert with a burn. Leftovers Entei basically doesnt have any offensive pressure, it's walled by a ridiculous amount of threats and, even with leftovers, is still easy to wear down thanks to Rocks and it's lack of healing move.

<
Avalugg is one of those pokemons that seem like they could work amazingly when it really is not the case. Ice type is just too awful of a typing to be any good defensively. It also has a terrible bulk which makes it lose to common hazard setters such as Nidoqueen or Celebi. It doesn't apply any pressure to things like Empoleon or Swampert which just makes it pretty bad as a pokemon meant to remove hazards. It's also vulnerable to toxic spikes which is awful when it's the only way to deal with those. Empoleon offers you another check to Hydreigon, a way to lure Swampert thanks to Shuca Berry + Grass Knot and fits better with the other members overall.

This set is actually fine for the most part, I'd just use Will-O-Wisp over Toxic. The reasoning behind this is relatively straight forward: being able to spread burns is usually better than toxic thanks to the additional effect on the physical attacker that are extremely common, WoW makes Jellicent a much better fighting check while also dealing with Aerodactyl-Mega, one of the most used pokemons right now, much better than the set you're currently running.

An optional change would be Hydreigon over Umbreon to give your team a better way to deal with Entei but this should probably be fine as it is.

Entei @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Scald

Hope I helped!

CBU

Banned deucer.
hi.interesting team u have there...provided i have no idea how it works but i do have a question.how do u beat hazard stack plus ghost?

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, cool team. I understand that you have got good results out of this team, but seriously, there is some scope of improvement as some of stuff could be replaced to better mons performing the same role, thus decreasing the wide amount of threats you currently have. As someone pointed out umbreon straight up invites specs sylveon to which you have zero switch-ins(entei gets 2hkoed) and since this is a semi-stall team, doubling out and playing aggressively is quite counter-productive, also with a proper cleric bulk up conkeldurr just annihilates this team.
First of all, you should have will-o-wisp and colbur berry on jellicient as if it gets pursuit trapped by krookodile, you are just swept by crocune or as a matter of fact any bulky water might give you troubles.

Next up, umbreon - > defensive cleric sylveon to alleviate your conkeldurr match-up and also pin missile + heavy slam specially defensive forry over avalugg as avalugg's ice typing more than often makes it pretty bad and paper thin special defense doesn't help either. Also it gives you your own spikes/ toxic spikes.

Also, to have a proper win-con on your team bulk up conk over meinshao fits just better as with specially def forry you have an alright match-up against celebi, thus bulk up conk gives you a proper gameplay against most bulky teams. Also this gives you a good enough match-up against hydreigon with conkelldurr + sylvi.

Also, choice band entei over your current set because its just better lol.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Heavy Slam

Sorry if it came out as rude, anyways best of luck. Always gg :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)