Two Ghosts, Three Layers (Peaked at #11)

This has been my first team since getting back into Little Cup and I'd like to think that's it's been pretty successful. The team is an offense team that focuses on stacking Spikes and force switches through a core of two ghosts. Ghost works because they provide excellent spin blockers, resist fighting, and can be really threatening sweepers in the metagame. I have been working on this a lot, and I'll tell you, it has really changed, probably from the fact that I have a habit of changing my teams around until they suck. It went from:

|
|
|
|
|

to

|
|
|
|
|

Also, in case anybody wants to know, I laddered under the alt Aichmes, which means spikes in Greek (go google translator!).

Two Ghosts
------
Three Layers

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Regenerator
Jolly Nature
156 Atk/196 Def/156 Spe

• Drain Punch
  • High Jump Kick
  • Fake Out
  • U-Turn
Originally I had a more offensive variant of Mienfoo, but I settled for a bulkier version because he takes care of Scraggy easier and even can survive Abra's Psychic sometimes. Moxie Scraggy is getting popular (I don't know why) and people view Ferroseed as set-up bait, but I proceed to Thunder Wave and then switch to Mienfoo, who OHKO's with Drain Punch. Mienfoo is really the motor of this team; when it can't get running, Mienfoo gets it going. He pressures the opponent into switching a lot which helps rack Spikes damage and he forms a secondary core of VoltTurn with Chinchou, which can help scout and get my team into more offensive territory. Originally I had Knock Off over Fake Out, but Fake Out lets me beat Sturdy leads and overall the Priority can really help in tight situations. Double Fighting is great. I can use Hi Jump Kick when I really need the power, and Drain Punch + Regenerator easily gets back most of my health. U-Turn is also my only way to hit Gastly and I can hit him on the switch and then proceed to Chinchou where I can Hydro Pump.

<><><>

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
52 Def/228 SpA/220 Spe​

• Hydro Pump
  • Volt Switch
  • Thunderbolt
  • Hidden Power [Grass]
Chinchou functions as my revenge killer, and he's really good. Good stats coupled with amazing typing and a good movepool makes Chinchou one of a kind. With Mienfoo, he forms a VoltTurn core, which helps rack up damage and keep the momentum going in my team. He outspeeds Gastly and OHKO's with Hydro Pump, who can really screw with this team if given the opportunity. He's my flying resist and laughs at Scarfed Doduo's as he takes Brave Birds. Electric typing is really good for this team, as well. Chinchou can lure out ground moves which both of my ghosts can come in and laugh at, and proceed to set up and cause havoc onto the opponent's team. Hidden Power Grass is really only there to hit other Chinchou, but bulky varients take it like a boss and I'm considering switching it to Hidden Power Grass, which lets me hit Ferroseed with ease.

<><><>

Houndour @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
Hasty Nature
36 Atk/200 SpA/248 Spe

• Fire Blast
  • Dark Pulse
  • Sucker Punch
  • Hidden Power Fighting
Besides being one of my favorite Pokemon, Houndour has a really special niche on this team and he does it really well. For one, Larvests screws with this team a lot, and Houndour counter it wonderfully. He takes in all the fire moves he wants and hits back harder. The other reason is that this team is slightly Abra weak; if I over predict when Abra comes in on Mienfoo and die to a Psychic, Abra will sweep me. Houndour remedies this weakness very well, who can Sucker Punch Abra for a KO if I break the sash. Houndour is a giant powerhouse on his own, though, and can function as a really good revenge killer. 17 Speed outruns Drifloon before an Unburden boost and ties with bulkier Mienfoo. He outruns bulky Larvesta and can hit quite hard if I get the Flash Fire boost. He also functions as a ghost and psychic resistance, as well as luring in fighting and ground types to get free switch ins to Gastyl and Drifloon.

<><><>

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Iron Barbs
Sassy Nature
84 HP/36 Atk/188 Def/148 SpD​

• Spikes
  • Stealth Rock
  • Gyro Ball
  • Thunder Wave
Originally I had Shelmet in this position, but I think for this team Ferroseed does it better. Ferroseed is my entry hazard layer, coming off with amazing resistances and giant defense (27 in each stat with Eviolite). The team is based around entry hazards, specifically spikes, and Ferroseed does his job really well, taking hits with ease although he lacks recovery. I picked him over Shelmet because he gets better typing, Stealth Rock (which can greatly help my team against Larvesta), and isn't weak to Stealth Rock. Shelmet seems to handle Scraggy better, but Moxie Scraggy is being used more (why?) and Thunder Wave basically cripples him, as he'll set up Dragon Dances and I'll be stacking Spikes, and once he KO's me Mienfoo will come in for field day. Gyro Ball vs Bullet Seed was a touch choice, but I chose Gyro Ball because I can hit Gastly that way, and I don't want Gastly without Hypnosis getting free Subs against me.

<><><>

Gastly @ Oran Berry
Levitate
Timid Nature
116 HP/196 SpA/196 Spe​

• Sludge Bomb
  • Shadow Ball
  • Substitute
  • Hypnosis
Ah, the infamous Gastly, the first half of my core. Gastly is pretty amazing, what he does. SubNosis is scary coming off a 18 Speed monster. Although Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, if it hits I get a free Substitute and proceed to tear wholes in the opponent's team. Spikes damage really accumulates because of this guy since Hypnosis and Substitute force so many switches it isn't funny. Mienfoo dies to a STAB Sludge Bomb, which is the move generally uses, and the 30% poison can be quite handy too. Scraggy is completely screwed when Gastly is behind a Sub, and is 2HKO'd. Shadow Ball nails other Ghosts, specifically other Gastly's and OHKO's them. Oran Berry is just plain annoying, and give Gastly more chances to Hypnosis and Substitute. Ghost typing is really good right now and that's why I picked a Ghost Core, since Gastly can come in on any Mienfoo and take the Drain Punch or laugh as Mienfoo crashes because of Hi Jump Kick.

<><><>

Drifloon @ Flight Gem
Unburden
Mild Nature
36 HP/200 Atk/28 Def/40 SpA/4 SpD/200 Spe

• Acrobatics
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power Fire
  • Destiny Bond
Acrofloon is pure genius, so I guess Raseri is a genius too. If someone told me that Drifloon could be a fearsome sweeper in fourth gen, I'd honestly laugh at them. But the way this thing works is amazing. Drifloon acts as my late game cleaner and he does it really well, and I can't tell you how many teams he has swept. Being the second half of my Ghost Core, Drifloon sweeps teams that have been damaged from Spikes, VoltTurn, and anything else, really. After activating Unburden Drifloon gets 32 Speed, which basically outruns anything in the whole meta game. He takes fighting attacks like a pro and hits back hard as hell with Acrobatics, OHKO'ing pretty much anything that switches in. Without Rocks up, Drifloon can even live a Shadow Ball from Abra and hit back. Shadow Ball hits other Ghosts and is a general STAB move, while Hidden Power Fire hits Ferroseed and other steel types. Destiny Bond is generally filler, but I chose it over Will-o-Wisp because it lets me take someone I can't KO down with me, instead of just crippling them with Will-o-Wisp.

<><><>

Mienfoo (M) @ Eviolite Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 156 Atk / 196 Def / 156 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Hi Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Chinchou (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Houndour (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 36 Atk / 200 SAtk / 248 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Gastly (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 196 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Hypnosis

Drifloon (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 36 HP / 200 Atk / 28 Def / 40 SAtk / 4 SDef / 200 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Destiny Bond

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)