Not open for further replies.
I've been working on the following DD-Tar set and would like some input

TTAR w/Jolly @ Weakness policy
252atk/252speed/4hp
Iron Head
Crunch
Outrage
DDance

The idea here is to pop a Ddance right off the bat and then start sweeping with Outrage. Chances are pretty good the opponent is going to drop either a steel type, a fairy, or a physical wall for the next victim and hit back with a SE attack, which should be enough to put a pretty bad dent in our good friend Godzilla and trigger weakness policy. Iron head with devastate pretty much anything that can soak an outrage, or alternatively hit with crunch in order to get around any pesky resistances that might otherwise stand in the way.

252atk/252speed/4hp
Iron Head
Crunch
Outrage
DDance

The idea here is to pop a Ddance right off the bat and then start sweeping with Outrage. Chances are pretty good the opponent is going to drop either a steel type, a fairy, or a physical wall for the next victim and hit back with a SE attack, which should be enough to put a pretty bad dent in our good friend Godzilla and trigger weakness policy. Iron head with devastate pretty much anything that can soak an outrage, or alternatively hit with crunch in order to get around any pesky resistances that might otherwise stand in the way.
If you're going for a DD Tyranitar, you might as well use Mega Tyranitar since it has more speed and bulk than the normal Tyranitar. Also, what exactly are you hitting with Outrage and Iron Head? Pretty much all fairies in OU are neutral to Iron Head (except Gardevoir and Sylveon) while Outrage is much weaker than STAB Stone Edge. Earthquake is also needed to beat Mega Mawile and avoid playing mindgames with Aegislash

252atk/252speed/4hp
Iron Head
Crunch
Outrage
DDance

I've tried Rock Polish Weakness Policy T-tar and while if everything goes like planned you get an ultra fast Pokemon with immense power, but at the same time a Pokemon that's weak to almost every relevant priority move in OU.

You can't use this T-tar unless you kill the other teams' Azumaril, Scizor, Conkeldurr otherwise they'd forceyou to switch out and lose the weakness policy bonus.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^To be fair, TTar does resist Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, ExtremeSpeed, Brave Bird, and Aerilate Quick Attack, which are actually more relevant than Azum/Sciz/Conk's prioirty.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^To be fair, TTar does resist Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, ExtremeSpeed, Brave Bird, and Aerilate Quick Attack, which are actually more relevant than Azum/Sciz/Conk's prioirty.
I'd argue that Azumarills priority is more relevant than Pinsir and Mawile, but yeah, yu have a point.

Though for the set, the moves should be DD / Ice punch / Stone Edge / Earthquake. It gets the best coverage possible.

Set Name: Special Sweeper
Nature:Timid/Modest Optional: Hasty/Mild
-Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-Rock Slide/Rock polish/Iron Head
Ability:Sand Stream
@Assault Vest/Life orb/Tyranitarite/Weakness Policy
Ev spread: 252 SP Atk | 252 Spd | 4 Atk/HP

This set puts Tyranitar's Speed and Special attack to the test.
Don't get me wrong, t-tar is an amazing physical attacker but maybe he could also do well as a special attacker? I mean, after all, a base 95 special attack is not too shabby nor is it's base 61 speed. (Who am I kidding, it's speed is terrible... '>_<) But that's exactly what Rock polish is for. Unfortunately, you'll have to sacrifice the assault vest in order to carry rock polish which isn't all that bad considering it has a nice base 100 Sp Def. Okay now on to the set,
Dark pulse is there mainly for the STAB, Fire Blast pretty much explains itself for the Scizors and pretty much and annoying bug/steal/grass types, Ice beam also speaks for itself for the Dragon/Flying types (Though Rock slide is probably a better option for flying types.) The last three moves depends. Rock slide is handy for Trollonflames (Talonflames) Though who the heck would keep a Talonflame in against a T-tar? (Me :P.) Rock polish Makes t-tar quicker than most Pokemon that threaten it such as Adamant Lucario and Scizors (With superpower.) Keep in mind, even a non boosted Bullet bunch from (Mega)Scizor can still do a boat ton. And Iron head is just for fairy coverage.

Note: If I should add or take out anything from here, please tell me.Because honestly, I feel like I didn't add enough details. Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, is there any reason to run 76 EVs on the Choice Band set besides Skarmory? Aside from it, everything else at base 70 tends to be most seen running speed investment.

Hi! Yesterday I received a Tyranitar, I really like his moveset and I want to plan a team with him but the problem is that I don´t know which Pokemon make a good strategy with him.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite Ability: Sand Stream EV's 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Attack Nature: Jolly - Dragon Dance - Crunch - Stone Edge / Rock Slide - Earthquake

Could you please help me? I'd be very grateful :D

P.S: Sorry if my English is bad but I´m from America Latina xD

Hi! Yesterday I received a Tyranitar, I really like his moveset and I want to plan a team with him but the problem is that I don´t know which Pokemon make a good strategy with him.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite Ability: Sand Stream EV's 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Attack Nature: Jolly - Dragon Dance - Crunch - Stone Edge / Rock Slide - Earthquake

No attack EVs?

Throw that motherfucker in the trash.

Which doesn't matter either way, because if he/she received it in game you can reset the ev's on it; much better then "throwing that motherfucker in the trash".
The throwing it in the trash thing was just a joke, I'm not actually telling him to get rid of it.

I would suggest to remove the HP EVs and put them into Attack instead, otherwise you will spend most of the battle setting up and still not able to pull of a sweep and even with max HP, it will not survive a Close Combat from something like Terrakion.

As a partner to Tyranitar I would suggest something that can absorb attacks that are threatening Ttar. Gyarados is immun to ground and can resist fighting type moves.
Another good partner could be something that is immun to sand like Scizor. It has pretty good resistance, great typing and overall is a pretty viable pokemon to use a choice band with and Fire weakness can be dealt with Ttar anyways not to mention that most of the neutral hits on Scizor is resisted by Ttar like Ghost, Dark and Flying.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason to run 76 EVs on the Choice Band set besides Skarmory? Aside from it, everything else at base 70 tends to be most seen running speed investment.
Yeah, Skarm is the only real reason to use it for the reason you mentioned. I wouldn't bother with the 76 Speed EVs for a few reasons: it requires hitting skarm on a predicted switch, it requires both Stone Edges hitting, and it requires Skarm not to have any speed investment (speed creeping isn't all that uncommon on skarm if you look at usage stats), or else it'll just roost. So I'd probably go with 248 HP / 252+ Atk / 8 Spe for maximum bulk while outpacing uninvested/4 EV Ttar.

Ive been rocking this thing with Exca and using smooth rock but is it better to just use his mega instead? I mean he feels like dead weight kinda using Smooth Rock

I absolutely love Megatar and ran with him as my primary sweeper on my last 1600+ team - however, I'm still not sure what set to run.

I'm aware that SEdge, Ice Punch and EQ get the best coverage but is there any merit to running Crunch (over EQ)??

I absolutely love Megatar and ran with him as my primary sweeper on my last 1600+ team - however, I'm still not sure what set to run.

I'm aware that SEdge, Ice Punch and EQ get the best coverage but is there any merit to running Crunch (over EQ)??
Well STAB is always good but Tyranitar really wants the best coverage though you could run DD, Crunch, Stone Edge, Superpower.

Tyranitar is always a staple in my team. In the last few weeks, I've been trying him with an AV and I have to say I am very, very impressed. He can eat special attacks in sand to a quite astonishing degree. Even things like focus blasts, so long as they don't come from serious special nukes. Taking an aura sphere or focus blast from a psychic type and then hitting back with Crunch is very satisfying!

What's a good mixed tyranitar set? I want ice beam for gliscor and fire blast for ferro for sure, but I also want good physical coverage for maybe the lati's (crunch?) or perhaps heatran (EQ)? My 4th move is Stealth Rock. What's the best moveset and EVs?

Run DD, Crunch, Ice Punch and EQ. great coverage and not having to worry about stone edge missing is great.

Ttar is god. I've run many different sets and the one I've settled on is.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf Ability: Sand Stream EV's 252 Attack/ 252 Spe / 4 Def Nature: Adamant - Stone Edge, Pursuit, Brick Break, EQ

This set is pretty fun. I would like to throw Ice punch on him over brick break, but I don't have that option.

Ttar is god. I've run many different sets and the one I've settled on is.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf Ability: Sand Stream EV's 252 Attack/ 252 Spe / 4 Def Nature: Adamant - Stone Edge, Pursuit, Brick Break, EQ

This set is pretty fun. I would like to throw Ice punch on him over brick break, but I don't have that option.
If your going to slap a scarf on ttar to cover up his speed, run jolly over adamant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)