Multi Gen Ubers Premier League discussion thread[Read Post #87]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Unfortunately, Ubers was not included in this year's SPL. Ubers had a strong argument to get in (particularly since the playerbase is arguablydeeper than it was last year), but ultimately, the TD's decided to choose RBY OU and LC over this tier. With the exception of Winter Seasonal, this leaves us with little to do for the next few months.

The original plan was to have UPL after SPL, but I am considering changing our plans. It's all up to you guys. The negative of having UPL during SPL are the fewer number of "tournament" (i.e. multi-tier) players that would be willing to play, but I'll be honest and say that I couldn't really care less. This tournament should be about the Ubers playerbase first and foremost. Older gens would feature a slightly lower quality of play, but more true Ubers players would get an opportunity to prove themselves at the highest level Ubers can offer. I myself would suffer from this potential change -- I badly want to manage but will not have time to because of SPL commitments + IRL stuff -- but if you guys want UPL earlier than originally planned, who am I to say no (Fireburn can veto this if he wants to though)!

There are other things to talk about, too. Here's a list of questions and issues that need to be addressed:

1. What tiers should be offered during UPL? ADV was successful last year so I don't want to remove that. We will definitely have 2 ORAS, 1 XY, 1 BW2, 1 DPP, and 1 ADV; what should the last 2-3 tiers be? Last year we had 2 BW2 and and 2 DPP, but I'd support cutting one of the DPP slots for another ORAS slot if we start the tournament early. Also, should we have an even or odd # of games? I'd prefer an even number because I like that ties keep teams alive in the playoff chase for longer, but idk what the consensus is here.

2. How many teams should we have? We had 6 last year and that number worked well for us; does the larger pool of players this year justify another team? (for the record I lean no)

3. Should we have an all-star week during the midseason auction? If we do this, the midseason auction would take place after week 3 instead of week 2.

4. How should we determine managers? Mr.378 and Astounded will definitely be managing this year if they want managerial slots, but other spots are up in the air. Hack and Blim can manage if they want to but I'm assuming they'll be too busy, and steelphoenix will be MIA for awhile. I am thinking of having a manager sign-up thread and have Fireburn and I pick from that pool of applicants. I'm open to hearing other ideas, though.

5. Should we have a smack talk thread?

6. As noted earlier, when should UPL "begin" (i.e. when should Fireburn and I post the manager application thread / sign-ups?)

Even if we start UPL up in March as originally planned, I don't see the harm in discussing this stuff now.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
i'm excited for this year's UPL
to answer your questions

1. I'd go for 2 BW2 and depending on the playerbase's opinions, an extra DPP or ORAS is really fine, I'm down with either.

2. 6, it's a nice even number (although I would love to see new team names)

3. hell yes

4. idfk

5. see 3

6. I'd say after SPL

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
1. What tiers should be offered during UPL? ADV was successful last year so I don't want to remove that. We will definitely have 2 ORAS, 1 XY, 1 BW2, 1 DPP, and 1 ADV; what should the last 2-3 tiers be? Last year we had 2 BW2 and and 2 DPP, but I'd support cutting one of the DPP slots for another ORAS slot if we start the tournament early. Also, should we have an even or odd # of games? I'd prefer an even number because I like that ties keep teams alive in the playoff chase for longer, but idk what the consensus is here.
I believe that, regardless of what the tier spread ends up being, we should have an even number of games to extend UPL and add a certain "you're not out until you're out" factor to it. As for the tier spread, I'm thinking something like:

• 3 ORAS
  • 2 BW2
  • 2 DPP
  • 1 ADV
This maximizes the current generation, while still having openings for past, popular generations. Here's my thing about XY and Farceus - they are obsolete, discontinued metas. While I personally don't have any qualms against them (XY was probably my favorite meta ever), I dislike the notion of having an irrelevant metagame in an 'official' tournament - aside from the OCD that goes hand-in-hand with that, it seems counterintuitive to practice and indulge in a meta long forgotten by the rest of Smogon.

2. How many teams should we have? We had 6 last year and that number worked well for us; does the larger pool of players this year justify another team? (for the record I lean no)
I think that we should either have 6 or 7 teams, and I'm truly indifferent as to which it is. Assuming 8 players + minimum 2 subs, 6 teams would put us in ~60-66 player range, 70 = ~70-76. Although Ubers room and subforum activity have increased since last UPL, it's been declining again recently, and I don't believe that there are enough players in the higher echelon of Ubers to put out enough quality games to necessitate another team, so if pressured, I'd opt to leave it at 6 teams, 10 players minumum each.

3. Should we have an all-star week during the midseason auction? If we do this, the midseason auction would take place after week 3 instead of week 2.
Yes. Again, extend UPL as much as possible - besides, a bit of a breather halfway through, some high-quality matches, there's no downside.

4. How should we determine managers? Mr.378 and Astounded will definitely be managing this year if they want managerial slots, but other spots are up in the air. Hack and Blim can manage if they want to but I'm assuming they'll be too busy, and steelphoenix will be MIA for awhile. I am thinking of having a manager sign-up thread and have Fireburn and I pick from that pool of applicants. I'm open to hearing other ideas, though.
Maybe open a manager sign-up thread sometime within the next 2-3 weeks, and close it within the week of opening it. Anyone wanting to manage will find a week ample space to sign up to do so. As far as selection of managers goes, I'd definitely leave that entirely up to yourself and Fireburn - anyone who has talked to me ever knows that I'm extremely interested in managing a team this year, and I wouldn't want that chance swayed by a few choice people I've offended o.o[/QUOTE]

Yes! SO LONG AS IT ISN'T A RAP THREAD. NEVER AGAIN. Never. *shudders*

6. As noted earlier, when should UPL "begin" (i.e. when should Fireburn and I post the manager application thread / sign-ups?)
I touched on UPL Management sign-ups above - as far as PLAYER sign-ups go, I'm inclined to say early February, then start mid-February.

Here's to another successful year :pimp:

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Will post a long thing later but for the love of pizza don't make it 7 teams. The idea of a team sitting out and waiting to play each week makes my skin crawl, keep it at an even number of teams.

I just want to state for the record. If we follow smogon philosophy and shit like that then farceus should be the primary meta for dpp ubers. the current dpp meta is just out of sim restrictions that we had years ago. I don't mind "dead" metas being included as long we're being inclusive.

So, if I was running this I would make slots like this:

2 ORAS
1 XY
1 BW2
1 BW
1 DPP (Farceus)
1 Shoddy battle arbitrarily restricted DPP
1 ADV

2. 6 is plenty, the only reason that some ppl didnt get drafted last yr is cuz managers went full retard in draft.

3. Nah, all star week is boring and imposes on players to do shit that they don't necessarily want to do. Just make it a blank week if you have to.

4. sign up thread sounds good for finding the managers.

5. of course and no rap requirement plz

6. asap

e: odd number slots plz, i hated the tie bs - speaking from experience firsthand as a gene player last yr.

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
1) What tiers should we offer?

2 ORAS
1 XY
1 BW2
1 DPP
1 ADV
and add on 1 farceus + 1 more ORAS slot (regardless of people's opinion on ORAS it is the current gen and should be highlighted during UPL)
I'm adding/voting for 2 slot addition to keep the event number - ties are awesome for team tournaments!

I'd also be ok with adding on a GSC slot but not sure what to remove/not add instead.

2. How many teams should we have?

6 teams same as last time. This is especially important if we expand the # of slots from 6 games per matchup to 7/8. Yes, Ubers has a good playerbase, but we'd really be stretching it thin with 8 teams (assuming we increase the slots).

3. Should we have an all-star week during the midseason auction?

Yes - its hype.

4. How should we determine managers?

Same as SPL - manager sign up thread. You/Fireburn make the final decision on who gets the open slots.

Don't think we need one. UPL isn't the same size as SPL obviously and there is WAYYY more than enough space in the weekly threads for people to "poke fun" or "talk shit." As long as each thread is moderated to prevent things from escalating a separate thread feels really unnecessary. It's easier to keep it all in one place.

Post the both threads asap. I'd leave manager thread up for 4-5 days and player sign ups for at least 1 week.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader

2 ORAS
1 XY
1 BW2
1 DPP
1 ADV
and add on 1 farceus + 1 more ORAS slot (regardless of people's opinion on ORAS it is the current gen and should be highlighted during UPL)
I like Crestfal's idea here. At the very least I feel ORAS should have 3 slots, if it's taking the xy slot I'd be fine with that, but it shouldn't have the same number of slots as the metagame that came out in 2008, and hasn't been the current gen since 2010. I also like Farceus, and seeing how we've been slowly transitioning into considering Farceus the 'new' dpp metagame for the last year or so I'd put that in there.

As I said before, I dont care how many so long as its an even number. 7 would be horrible. 6 is probably ideal cause we have the teams from last year, and a decent sized pool of players to draft from.

Shows how much I care about that one.

Manager sign up thread is fine imo, you and fireburn know who would be good picks and who wouldn't.

Same image cause I'm too lazy to log back on to PS to do it again.

Again I like Crestfall's idea. Do it ASAP. The only players who will be significantly effected by SPL going at the same time are Sweep, ZF and Hack (also Dice but idk if he wants to play or not), and Hack would just multitask and would probably school almost everyone anyway. I dont really see the point in waiting to cater to two or three players. Any others affected by this change are not frequent contributors to the ubers community who's decisions we probably shouldn't take too much into account on decisions like this.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
2 oras
1 xy
2 bw
2 dpp
1 adv
i like all of these metas, but if we gonna go with 1 dpp+1 farceus, then the farceus slot will put the pressure of sending in teams every week+replays, which can be fine but can also cause minor issues.
the even-odd effects teams more than the spectator so idk

6 is nice!

all star if fun from spectator's view, but it should be left to the players imo

signups is cool!

no to smack talk lets be friends ♥ ^_^ ♥

whenever i guess
but it shouldn't have the same number of slots as the metagame that came out in 2008, and hasn't been the current gen since 2010.
regardless of people's opinion on ORAS it is the current gen and should be highlighted during UPL
?_? do we need special highlighting for oras ubers? we got seasonals, had open, i think even weekend tours follows Oras-Oras-old gen-Oras-Oras format. idk why we should go by ceremony that "it's the current gen" when just going by "playerbase+how good the meta" is should be the logic. both BW and DPP are really fun metas and the playerbase isn't as shallow as say ADV, then why should we just hand out another ORAS slot just like that?

Reactions: hyw

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
best farceus players are at the same time best "classic" dp players, so there's little point in adding that.. Anyway, i'd do it like this -

3 ORAS
1 XY
1 BW2
1 DPP
1 ADV

Hurts to put so much ORAS but like Crestfall said, it is the current metagame after all. 7 games prevent tying (as an ex-ggenesect i can't say im very fond of ties lol) XY is interesting and probably not played as much as other metas here but i'd rather see that than Farceus.

6 is good

What Pomman and others said, manager signup thread seems like the best idea

Free Rap Thread

Asap

Last edited:
1: something to consider: if we're going to do this during spl we'll have way less people who can fill the bw/dpp slots. last time around it was already pretty hard finding people who played those tiers and thus a lot of bw ou/dpp ou players that the managers just knew happened to get picked. that's less likely to work out during spl, although not that much more likely. so that's why it should be 3 oras/1 bw/1 dpp/1 filler. so about the filler, maybe we could have it be gsc? adv got a "shot" last year so why not gsc this time around? I'd rather have another oras slot than adv and gsc, though.

2. or lets be CRAZY and have 4 teams round robin twice and then pick the two finalists from that, 4/2/2/1/1 tiers

3. >grabs 20 cent laying around
>tosses
>tails
>no all-star weak

5. yes, but since the majority of the playerbase is white the rap thread will fail. yet again.

6. first matchas monday of week 2 of 2016? :o

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1) 2 ORAS / 2 BW / 1 DPP / 1 ADV, last slot should be XY / DPP Farceus, but another DPP / ORAS is okay I guess

2) 7 isn't going to happen and 8 is kinda too much (unless the turnout was massive), so 6 it is

3) No preference

4) Managers should be determined by tier involvement and experience managing / running tours. A player that has never had any involvement with a returning team (Drizzlers, Durians, etc.) shouldn't really be allowed to come in and take over management. Under this criterion certain managers like Hack would be allowed to return and new managers would either pick up teams they were involved with last year (Mr.378) or potentially form new teams. Blim has told me that he doesn't want to manage (unless that changed in the last few days).

5) It will likely happen if there's a thread or not

6) I'd prefer March for UPL to start

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I feel like we should have more ORAS than bw/dpp/whatever because it is the current metagame. You may not be a big fan of ORAS and that's fine but you have to understand that it's still a very popular metagame and now that it's not even in SPL there are less chances people have to play ORAS Ubers in tours like this.

Smack talk thread is pretty necessary imo, but we must ensure that people like n00b aren't allowed to say things like 'all the shit you get on smogon/ps is deserved. in fact you deserve much much more. kys' (Dilwar user php )

As it's no longer in SPL, start asap

1) 2 ORAS / 1 XY / 1 BW2 / 1 DPP / 1 ADV (agree with OP)

2) 6 is fine.

3) Why not? Memes are necessary.

4) Agree with MS, should be based on tier involvement or previous experience in managing.

5) Seems helpful to reduce the toxicity in this community! (no) The smack talk in general is shit, it's just people calling each other trash / trying to one up another, or pointing out past failures. Last year's threads are evidence enough these are never successful.

6) March is fine to me / after Winter Seasonal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)