Unpopular opinions

I was planning to buy a switch or two just for these games but holy crap, the games themselves aren't even worth the price. Paying for DLC is out of the question. I'll stick to previous gens as I still find them enjoyable and I don't play competitively online using console.
If you think that in any moment of life investing 800 € for a single game is worth it, I think you need to reconsider your financial approach.
Even if swsh were the pinnacle of gaming they would not justify buying a console just for them, let alone two.
I don't want to defend Wcstyles/attack Worldie, but I understand what Wcstyles is trying to say.
I always got/bought a Nintendo console for ónly Pokémon. (I did buy a few (3)DS games, but they were not the reason to buy a Nintendo console) Saying that one game doesn't justify to buy a console is incorrect, imho. At the moment I share the Switch with my partner, but that's due some financial reasons I have since a year. If that was not the case, I would buy the LGPE Switch version without thinking.
What I understand from Wcstyles post, is (s)he is willing to pay for two consoles if the games were worth the money. Looks like the games are not worth the money for Wcstyles and apparantly also the DLC is not worth buying according to him/her. The price is not as equal as the satisfaction (a.k.a. not worth). Has nothing to do with financial reasons as far as I see.

I'm late, but I'm here to disagree on this one!
I find that just about every single line in Alola was directly highlighted, put in the player's path and shown off actively and deliberately, either during the story or through a sidequest. My hot take is that they did a better job of highlighting every Pokémon than any other Generation.
-snip-
Time for a late reply from me as well, I had wanted to get this done earlier but just haven't been able to. I usually like answering posts quickly here on the forums due to how fast the flow of this thread (and others) can be sometimes. Honestly, this is a reply to a post that is two pages back, even if it was only made two days ago! I remember that once in the past, I was about to reply to a post in this thread, but when I finally was about to get around to it, the thread was already several pages forward and the whole discussion had pretty much been buried, so I never got around to making that reply!

Either way, I think you made an excellent post with many good points. You are right in that S/M made a very good effort to make sure almost every single new Pokémon (and Alola form) gets their chance to shine and get the spotlight in some form throughout the games. But I don't really agree that they always do it well. Having an Alola Pokémon as a Totem Pokémon or an ace of an important trainer is a great way to give them the spotlight they deserve, and something the Alola games does way better than some other regions (notably Johto, where half of the Johto Gym Leaders doesn't even have a Johto Pokémon on their team).

However, I don't really like the way they handled all the new Pokémon in the wild. Several are just too rare or uncommon. I wanted to make a list of the Alola Pokémon and how common they are, but I really don't have the time for that right now. So here's just a short summary of the ones I remember being uncommon or rare. On top of my head, the ones I remember being uncommon were Rockruff, Dewpider, Salandit, Stufful, Bounsweet, Oranguru, Passimian, Minior, Komala, Turtonator, Sandygast, Togedemaru and Drampa. These were usually not very difficult to find as they had high encounter rates, but they were usually only found in one or a few areas. The ones I found too rare are Mareanie, Comfey, Mimikyu, Bruxish, Dhelmise and Jangmo-o. Those are only found in one or a few areas and have a low encounter rates. The worst offender IMO is Mareanie which is SOS-exclusive. I think Jangmo-o is kind of excusable though since it is a psuedo-legendary and those are supposed to be rare.

But as you also said, finding those are easy... if you know where to look and how to find them. I can't imagine the pain of trying to find a Mareanie without knowing how, for instance. This is hopefully not that much of a problem nowadays since everyone has instant internet access, but I'm still not sure. I have (or had) a buddy who is 13 years younger than me, he played Sun and Ultra Moon. He occasionally asked me how to find a specific Pokémon or thing in the games despite having instant access to everything in his smartphone at all times. I think young players these days are mostly using other sources than we older ones. I can instantly look up any info I want about anything related to Pokémon on Serebii or Bulbapedia, but do the younger players of today also know about those sites? From what I have seen, I'm not really sure.

Personally, I think X/Y and S/S did a better job than S/M at showing their new Pokémon. Sure, they might not have given the spotlight to almost every single Pokémon/line in the same way as S/M, but they did at least not make a large chunk of them as uncommon or rare. I don't think either approach is optimal though, and I'm not sure if there is a good way to showcase a low number of new Pokémon in a large regional dex.

Also wanted to say this: if we count Alola forms as "new Pokémon" for Gen 7, then we got to count Megas as "new Pokémon" for Gen 6 as well. In that case, Gen 6 introduced 3 more new Poison-types (Mega Venusaur, Gengar and Beedrill) in addition to the Skrelp line.

Sorry if this was a bad reply, I don't really have the time or energy for something better right now.

Also wanted to say this since the discussion of buying a Switch solely because of Pokémon came up. In the past, I always bought every Pokémon game, both pairs from all versions as well as all third/alternate versions, sequels and remakes. I also had two consoles so I could trade/connect with myself. Or had and had, I should say have since I still have all of them. I have one GBC, one GBA, one GBA SP, 2 DS lites and 2 3DS XLs. Was it worth the money? I'd say yes, because of how fun I had with all these games and how convenient it was to be able to trade/connect with myself without the need of another person.. Before the Switch, Pokémon was also the main reason I bought any consoles at all.

But now with the Switch, I have changed my approach. I had already decided to get a Switch before any Pokémon games were announced for it, and when I got it, my first three games were BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey and XC2, all three which I got before Sword. I only have one Switch and Sword, I have zero plans to get another Switch and/or Shield (or LGP/E, for that matter). The reason has nothing to do with money, but rather because of other factors. I have been losing interest in Pokémon recently, and Gen 8 doesn't feel worth spending a large chunk of money on compared to the past generations. The main reason being dexit and how S/S seems to have even less content than Gen 6/7. But my lower interest in Pokémon is of course a factor too, it has currently been way over a month since I last played Sword and I have no plans to return to it before November in order to prepare for the Crown Tundra. If anyone wants to buy two switches and both games for S/S, then I'd highly advise them to think more than twice about it. But if they really want to, they think it will be worth it and will spend a lot of time on the games, then I can't stop them. Because I know that feeling. After all, I used to be this type of sheep in the past.

then we got to count Megas as "new Pokémon" for Gen 6 as well. In that case, Gen 6 introduced 3 more new Poison-types (Mega Venusaur, Gengar and Beedrill) in addition to the Skrelp line.
The problem with comparing Megas to Regional Forms, is that they are mechanically very different from each other. Mega Evolution is a temporary power boost, and out of battle, the Pokemon is in its original form, so it definitely feels like the original Pokemon more than the new form. Regional Variants also have a lot more differences than Megas in terms of designs and mechanics.

For starters, Megas are a temporary transformation, so the design can't be too drastic of a change. If you look at Mega Venusaur, you'll notice that it has a larger flower and some vines, Charizard-Y is pointier, Kangaskhan's only difference is that its Baby comes out, and Gardevoir's dress gets bigger. There's not much room for a drastic change because its temporary.

There's also a limitation on what can be changed for a Mega. For Megas, only stats, (excluding HP ) typing, and Abilities can be changed that will have a noticeable impact. Things like move pools, secondary abilities, evolutionary relatives, and the HP stat are things that can be tampered with Regional Variants.

For example, look at Alolan Ninetales VS Kantonian Ninetales. They look extremely different from another, and have different, stat spreads, abilities, and moves. Their roles don't overlap at all, Kantonian Ninetales for example, uses either a Nasty Plot or Choice Specs set to be an all out attacker, while Alolan Ninetales is pure support with Aurora Veil. As a result things like check and counters vary as a result, with Garchomp being an hard answer to Kantonian Ninetales, while not being an answer at all to Alolan Ninetales. Things like teammates would also vary: Vensaur would take advantage of Drought, while Shell Smash Blastoise would take advantage of Aurora Veil.

In contrast, both Salamence, Gyarados, and Tyranitar could do Dragon Dance sets with or without their Megas, and things like teammates and counters would stay the same. They would benefit from dual screen setters, and both would need teammates to cover Ice, Electric, and Fighting types respectively, with or without Megas.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that Regional Variations have more mechanical variation than Megas to the point that they can be be seen as completely different Pokemon. I've always disliked calling Regional Variants the same Pokemon- they mechanically function like separate Pokemon.

The last other thing is that I don't miss the National Dex. And when I mean by that is that I don't want Pokemon back, no I don't like Dexit, and I Miss lot of Pokemon, and I hope for Dexit to be gone in the future. And I'm not saying that it should be monetized in Home/Bank. What I'm talking about it is the Pokedex itself. I've only actually completed the Pokedex in Moon, and while it was fun, I didn't think the prizes were too great. The stamp was nice, but its purely cosmetic, and the shiny charm comes way too late for me to use, and the odds of encountering shiny are still slim. My biggest gripe with Pokedexes in general is that it doesn't provide useful info gameplay wise. Pokedex 3D Pro listed things like moves, abilities, TM leanest, egg groups etc. If the Pokedex listed things like that there would be better reason to complete it. Bios are nice, they don't have any impact on gameplay. The only actual useful info is location of the Pokemon. Now, I'm not saying that I want the National Dex out, or I am picking people who want to complete it.

And lastly, while were on the topic of Pokedexes, I think the DP are the most generous games when it comes to version exclusives. Between DP themselves, only 48 were missing out of the 493 Pokemon, all of which were either starters or Legendary Pokemon with the exception of Tangela and Tropius. So despite a questionable regional dex, DP are arguably the best games to complete the National Dex, or at least within the initial paired versions.

And lastly, while were on the topic of Pokedexes, I think the DP are the most generous games when it comes to version exclusives. Between DP themselves, only 48 were missing out of the 493 Pokemon, all of which were either starters or Legendary Pokemon with the exception of Tangela and Tropius. So despite a questionable regional dex, DP are arguably the best games to complete the National Dex, or at least within the initial paired versions.
Not sure if you forgot about Platinum or only aimed at the core DP games, but both Tropius and Tangela are catchable from the Great Marsh in Platinum.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I always got/bought a Nintendo console for ónly Pokémon. (I did buy a few (3)DS games, but they were not the reason to buy a Nintendo console) Saying that one game doesn't justify to buy a console is incorrect, imho.
As did I. Only reason I have a Switch Lite is because I wanted to play Shield. I should really get more games, but my main goal was to play Pokemon (and luckily they provided a cheaper alternate to buying an entire Switch, plus I got the special Sword & Shield Lite to boot).

However what confuses me is Wcstyles buying two Switches (and sounds like he's going to buy the normal Switch and not Switch Lites). Yes, I agree, it's their money and they can do what they want with it... but just saying a Nintendo Online subscription, Bank subscription, HOME subscription, and DLC combined are all still cheaper than an additional Switch (and they technically don't need the Bank, HOME, nor DLC subscription). Of course this doesn't change they don't feel Sword & Shield are worth getting so that's a moot point. And if they're thinking of getting a second Switch because they don't have someone else to play with or a good internet, personally I'd say completing the dex isn't worth it. You get nothing but a congratulation from GF you did it. Stinks there's some Pokemon you won't be able to play with, though not worth an entire second console to use them.

However, I don't really like the way they handled all the new Pokémon in the wild. Several are just too rare or uncommon.

(...)

Personally, I think X/Y and S/S did a better job than S/M at showing their new Pokémon. Sure, they might not have given the spotlight to almost every single Pokémon/line in the same way as S/M, but they did at least not make a large chunk of them as uncommon or rare. I don't think either approach is optimal though, and I'm not sure if there is a good way to showcase a low number of new Pokémon in a large regional dex.
Agreed, I do think the new Pokemon should get the spotlight thus be one of the more common ones. Like if they have two new Pokemon on the route, fine, maybe make one of them rarer, though at least one of them should be right there to get. Then again, with so many Pokemon I'm sure they could find at least a few popular older mons that they could have be the rarer encounter; in a way it gives the older mon a bit of a prestige you need to work to get it instead of going with the easier to get new Pokemon.

As for alerting a player of certain Pokemon on the route and/or how to get them, well we got all those NPCs just standing around who 99% of the time say nothing useful. Maybe give us the option of asking an NPC what Pokemon they've seen or where they got their Pokemon and they can tell us "This route has a small nest of this Pokemon", "This morning I saw this Pokemon munching on the Berry before running off", "I got my partner on the route over", "if you want this Pokemon you're going to need to do the following", etc..

Also wanted to say this: if we count Alola forms as "new Pokémon" for Gen 7, then we got to count Megas as "new Pokémon" for Gen 6 as well. In that case, Gen 6 introduced 3 more new Poison-types (Mega Venusaur, Gengar and Beedrill) in addition to the Skrelp line.
Eh. While they did use the Mega Pokemon to "fill" out the number of new Pokemon, there is a difference between a new alternate form and a super transformation. Mega Pokemon are merely an extension on the base Pokemon so barely feels different from it while a Regional Variant has had some notable changes done to it which makes it play differently from the normal form of that Pokemon.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Oh yeah, in addition to what others have said, don't forget that most of the Megas weren't even usable in the main game in XY for... unfathomable reasons.
Especially by the fact that it is supposed to be the main gimmick of XY, and yet only the player, a Gym Leader, Lysandre and the Champion uses one. None of your rivals even bothers to use one, making things pretty one-sided against them. This made Mega Evolution more like an afterthought than a real deal.

A lack of third version only seals the deal with the only Gen 6 Pokémon that have one is Diancie. All because GF wanted to get Gen 7 ready for the 20th anniversary, from what I recall.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
All because GF wanted to get Gen 7 ready for the 20th anniversary, from what I recall.
Honestly, this could be why I felt as if USUM (idk about SM so don't quote me on that) felt more developed balance-wise. A lot of NPCs use Z-Moves (Kahunas, E4, Hau, hell, even some random Ace Trainers, along with the Route kahunas), the NPCs use legit teams (idk bout XY again, so don't quote me) and the fights felt more difficult if you didn't know what to bring to beat them. Could be just me, but I personally found Gen 7 to utilize its concepts better than other games.
And that's only cause they took development time from XY and pushed it to Gen 7 :smogthink:

I'm going to fire a potentially unpopular opinion.

I think it is time we stop demonizing GameFreaks for their decisions on the subject of the Pokemon games, and start wondering if The Pokemon Company International is a company that has become too big for their own good.
I think it's time to think that GameFreaks probably has no faults in the issues of the games, while the issues are in the fact we get presented with Games that do not actually exist because possibly at the other edge of the marketing process, they have no idea of what's being developed in first place, or are so far from the actual public that they do not understand what the public wants.

For those unfamiliar with how TPCI works, the company was originally called "The Pokemon Center Company" and was founded in 1998 by 3 other companyes (GameFreaks, Creatures. Inc and Nintendo) in order to manage the marketing of the merchandise of the growing Pokemon franchise (at the time, it was just around Gold and Silver release)

To this day, the company is a independant company that manages the entirety of the marketing of the franchise, from videogames to anime to manga to eevee dolls and whatever other Pokemon-related thing you can think of, with Tsunekazu Ishihara as CEO and president.
The revenue of this company gets split between GF, Nintendo and whatever's left of Creatures Inc, in % not know to the public as far as I know. However, despite the fact their revenue goes to the founders, the company is independant and basically owns the decisionmaking when it comes to all sort of marketing.

As I was listening to some podcast analysis today, they made a interesting point about how the company might have became SO big, with processes so huge, that in the last 3 or so years they've starting to lose pieces in between the creation of a product, and its announcement to the public, which has also caused some of the latest big disasters in communication (such as the announcements of Let's Go, Sword and Shield, and recently Unite).

We have had situations of clear inconsistencies between what gets announced, often having separate announcements with contrasting informations like in the case of Sword and Shield, and mistakes so bad that they can't even be considered as "intentionally hiding informations".

For example, taking the 3 biggest failures I just mentioned.

Pokemon Let's Go:
Those games, nowadays appreciated much more than at their announcement, got announced as "the next main line games". It is funny how simply labeling them "main line" is actually what is getting them tons of criticism that otherwise they would never had. The lack of abilities/items, incomplete pokedex missing even evolutions, weird interactions between 3d pokemon and 2d map, those are all things noone would have cared if the announcement stated "a different way to play Pokemon Yellow". Do you see anyone complaining that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake lacks part of the pokedex? Do you see anyone complaining that Pokken lacks abilities and items? No, because those got announced as spinoffs and people do not feel the need to compare them to main line series. To this day, Let's Go is perceived as spinoff, and actually relatively well received, to the point there is a mild request for sequels in Jotho.

Pokemon Sword and Shield (and their DLCs):
Multiple inconsistencies here, biggest ones were obviously the fact and the way the lack of National Dex was announced, the saying that the reasoning for the lack of pokemon was improving on the graphics, and the fact a recent interview confirmed that DLCs were in development way before SwSh release, so it was already planned to re-introduce the pokemon in smaller batches. Once more, I have issues faulting this miscommunication to attempt to predate: the fact the returning pokemon are *free* isn't any different from the past, outside of requiring a one-off subscription to get them to gen 8 (I won't go over this as we've talked about it enough and it's beyond this point anyway), but why would you not reveal right away that the missing pokemon are returning to create further hype for the arrival of DLCs or future titles and even get early preorders?
In this case, I see multiple communication issues:
- It is clear that who made the script for the SwSh reveal perceived that it wasn't important to let fans know that "you will be able to get your favourites eventually"
- It is also clear that they announced features that were not in the game (like the so called massive graphic update, and it could be seen straight up from the gameplay trailers)
- They didn't even actually provide the reasoning to the people to deal with the press, with the result not even Masuda apparently knew (or was not allowed to reveal) that there was no actual cut, simply they would be coming later, and we had that "funny" week where literally every interview had a different reasoning for the natdex cut.

Pokemon Unite:
The latest announcement, which managed to outshadow even SwSh when it comes to dislikes. Gave me a lot if "Diablo Immortals" vibes here: announce a big reveal a week sooner, leave the press and fans to wonder, then reveal a... mobile moba, showcasing basically a League of Legend Dominion map reskinned with mediocre quality Pokemon design.
In this case I can see Tencent pressuring for a "big" reveal obviously, but even then, the way it was orchestrated was awful: rather than announce a "big pokemon project" and fool the fans in thinking it was finally the gen 4 remakes or a let's go jotho, why not specify right away that it was a completely new approach to Pokemon? They did announce collaborations with huge companyes in the past (like that huge movie studio) and didn't pretend it was completely gamebreaking development.

Back to my main point after those examples.

I think that TPCI's marketing machine has become so ridicolously big, they have become disconnected from both GameFreaks AND the actual Pokemon fans: to the point that in the last 4 or so years, lot of announcements and interviews have featured incomplete or flat out wrong infos, multiple of those causing backlash if not turning fans away from trusting the franchise.
I think it is time we stop blaming GameFreaks and Masuda for the problems the Pokemon games have had lately, because in my opinion, GameFreaks is suffering from a disconnection between them, the marketing section, and the players, and Masuda specifically is basically just being used as scapegoat that has to tell the script his marketing section gave him, even if he doesn't agree with it.

TPCI doesn't actually know what their fan want, nor does actually know what's actually being developed, because the franchise has became so huge they have issues managing the ridicolous amount of merchandise, anime, manga and videogames that are being produced, and are basically operating on the belief that "it's Pokemon and everyone will like it". They do not even do it maliciously: they literally have no idea on how to manage a franchise that grew exponentially in the last 20 years since their creation.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think it is time we stop demonizing GameFreaks for their decisions on the subject of the Pokemon games, and start wondering if The Pokemon Company International is a company that has become too big for their own good.

You're not going to convince me that GF has no part in making these bad decisions. Sure, maybe not all of them are their decisions, and I'll even give a passing shrug to they were on a tight time limit. Honestly I think Lockstin did a good analysis of both side of the arguments and their merits.

But hey, I have no problem spreading the blame around.

You're not going to convince me that GF has no part in making these bad decisions. Sure, maybe not all of them are their decisions, and I'll even give a passing shrug to they were on a tight time limit. Honestly I think Lockstin did a good analysis of both side of the arguments and their merits.

But hey, I have no problem spreading the blame around.
I'm up to share the blame or even take upon the questionable design decisions on GF themselves (after all, they make the games). I definitely think that the whole "they purposely advertise games that aren't what they say" however is nothing in their fault, and that Masuda is indeed a scapegoat (They already hate him, let's get him hated more, who cares).

Also thanks for the vid, i'll be watching it at some point soon(tm).

I'm going to fire a potentially unpopular opinion.

I think it's time to think that GameFreaks probably has no faults in the issues of the games, while the issues are in the fact we get presented with Games that do not actually exist because possibly at the other edge of the marketing process, they have no idea of what's being developed in first place, or are so far from the actual public that they do not understand what the public wants.

For those unfamiliar with how TPCI works, the company was originally called "The Pokemon Center Company" and was founded in 1998 by 3 other companyes (GameFreaks, Creatures. Inc and Nintendo) in order to manage the marketing of the merchandise of the growing Pokemon franchise (at the time, it was just around Gold and Silver release)

To this day, the company is a independant company that manages the entirety of the marketing of the franchise, from videogames to anime to manga to eevee dolls and whatever other Pokemon-related thing you can think of, with Tsunekazu Ishihara as CEO and president.
The revenue of this company gets split between GF, Nintendo and whatever's left of Creatures Inc, in % not know to the public as far as I know. However, despite the fact their revenue goes to the founders, the company is independant and basically owns the decisionmaking when it comes to all sort of marketing.

As I was listening to some podcast analysis today, they made a interesting point about how the company might have became SO big, with processes so huge, that in the last 3 or so years they've starting to lose pieces in between the creation of a product, and its announcement to the public, which has also caused some of the latest big disasters in communication (such as the announcements of Let's Go, Sword and Shield, and recently Unite).

We have had situations of clear inconsistencies between what gets announced, often having separate announcements with contrasting informations like in the case of Sword and Shield, and mistakes so bad that they can't even be considered as "intentionally hiding informations".

For example, taking the 3 biggest failures I just mentioned.

Pokemon Let's Go:
Those games, nowadays appreciated much more than at their announcement, got announced as "the next main line games". It is funny how simply labeling them "main line" is actually what is getting them tons of criticism that otherwise they would never had. The lack of abilities/items, incomplete pokedex missing even evolutions, weird interactions between 3d pokemon and 2d map, those are all things noone would have cared if the announcement stated "a different way to play Pokemon Yellow". Do you see anyone complaining that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake lacks part of the pokedex? Do you see anyone complaining that Pokken lacks abilities and items? No, because those got announced as spinoffs and people do not feel the need to compare them to main line series. To this day, Let's Go is perceived as spinoff, and actually relatively well received, to the point there is a mild request for sequels in Jotho.

Pokemon Sword and Shield (and their DLCs):
Multiple inconsistencies here, biggest ones were obviously the fact and the way the lack of National Dex was announced, the saying that the reasoning for the lack of pokemon was improving on the graphics, and the fact a recent interview confirmed that DLCs were in development way before SwSh release, so it was already planned to re-introduce the pokemon in smaller batches. Once more, I have issues faulting this miscommunication to attempt to predate: the fact the returning pokemon are *free* isn't any different from the past, outside of requiring a one-off subscription to get them to gen 8 (I won't go over this as we've talked about it enough and it's beyond this point anyway), but why would you not reveal right away that the missing pokemon are returning to create further hype for the arrival of DLCs or future titles and even get early preorders?
In this case, I see multiple communication issues:
- It is clear that who made the script for the SwSh reveal perceived that it wasn't important to let fans know that "you will be able to get your favourites eventually"
- It is also clear that they announced features that were not in the game (like the so called massive graphic update, and it could be seen straight up from the gameplay trailers)
- They didn't even actually provide the reasoning to the people to deal with the press, with the result not even Masuda apparently knew (or was not allowed to reveal) that there was no actual cut, simply they would be coming later, and we had that "funny" week where literally every interview had a different reasoning for the natdex cut.

Pokemon Unite:
The latest announcement, which managed to outshadow even SwSh when it comes to dislikes. Gave me a lot if "Diablo Immortals" vibes here: announce a big reveal a week sooner, leave the press and fans to wonder, then reveal a... mobile moba, showcasing basically a League of Legend Dominion map reskinned with mediocre quality Pokemon design.
In this case I can see Tencent pressuring for a "big" reveal obviously, but even then, the way it was orchestrated was awful: rather than announce a "big pokemon project" and fool the fans in thinking it was finally the gen 4 remakes or a let's go jotho, why not specify right away that it was a completely new approach to Pokemon? They did announce collaborations with huge companyes in the past (like that huge movie studio) and didn't pretend it was completely gamebreaking development.

Back to my main point after those examples.

I think that TPCI's marketing machine has become so ridicolously big, they have become disconnected from both GameFreaks AND the actual Pokemon fans: to the point that in the last 4 or so years, lot of announcements and interviews have featured incomplete or flat out wrong infos, multiple of those causing backlash if not turning fans away from trusting the franchise.
I think it is time we stop blaming GameFreaks and Masuda for the problems the Pokemon games have had lately, because in my opinion, GameFreaks is suffering from a disconnection between them, the marketing section, and the players, and Masuda specifically is basically just being used as scapegoat that has to tell the script his marketing section gave him, even if he doesn't agree with it.

TPCI doesn't actually know what their fan want, nor does actually know what's actually being developed, because the franchise has became so huge they have issues managing the ridicolous amount of merchandise, anime, manga and videogames that are being produced, and are basically operating on the belief that "it's Pokemon and everyone will like it". They do not even do it maliciously: they literally have no idea on how to manage a franchise that grew exponentially in the last 20 years since their creation.
So what you're saying is we should kill the anime, since they focus too much on that for the cash cow it is

Might as well. They never send the good ones internationally anyway
While this is true, it's possible to import; I've purchased charms of all the Ultra Beasts (though i like them too much to actually put them with my keys :mehowth:)

Regarding Worldie's post, I think that TPCi is definitely responsible for some major gaffes in marketing that put the series in general down a bit in the public's eyes, and is (from my understanding) largely the reason why we're getting yearly "mainline" Pokémon games, the "yearly" bit quite possibly contributing to a lack of polish on Game Freak's most recent games. Merchandising is quite lucrative, but it also causes some creative ideas to fall to the side because they're not "marketable" enough (I don't have any examples in mind but I know I've read about them from other franchises).

On the other hand, I think Game Freak is also responsible for questionable decisions, and has proven their inability (or unwillingness) to add features to their games that have become commonplace today. Good online options are kind of a rarity from Nintendo, but it's still baffling how a series that's founded on interconnectivity has some of the worst online interaction options I've seen.

The problem with comparing Megas to Regional Forms, is that they are mechanically very different from each other. Mega Evolution is a temporary power boost, and out of battle, the Pokemon is in its original form, so it definitely feels like the original Pokemon more than the new form. Regional Variants also have a lot more differences than Megas in terms of designs and mechanics.

For starters, Megas are a temporary transformation, so the design can't be too drastic of a change. If you look at Mega Venusaur, you'll notice that it has a larger flower and some vines, Charizard-Y is pointier, Kangaskhan's only difference is that its Baby comes out, and Gardevoir's dress gets bigger. There's not much room for a drastic change because its temporary.

There's also a limitation on what can be changed for a Mega. For Megas, only stats, (excluding HP ) typing, and Abilities can be changed that will have a noticeable impact. Things like move pools, secondary abilities, evolutionary relatives, and the HP stat are things that can be tampered with Regional Variants.

For example, look at Alolan Ninetales VS Kantonian Ninetales. They look extremely different from another, and have different, stat spreads, abilities, and moves. Their roles don't overlap at all, Kantonian Ninetales for example, uses either a Nasty Plot or Choice Specs set to be an all out attacker, while Alolan Ninetales is pure support with Aurora Veil. As a result things like check and counters vary as a result, with Garchomp being an hard answer to Kantonian Ninetales, while not being an answer at all to Alolan Ninetales. Things like teammates would also vary: Vensaur would take advantage of Drought, while Shell Smash Blastoise would take advantage of Aurora Veil.

In contrast, both Salamence, Gyarados, and Tyranitar could do Dragon Dance sets with or without their Megas, and things like teammates and counters would stay the same. They would benefit from dual screen setters, and both would need teammates to cover Ice, Electric, and Fighting types respectively, with or without Megas.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that Regional Variations have more mechanical variation than Megas to the point that they can be be seen as completely different Pokemon. I've always disliked calling Regional Variants the same Pokemon- they mechanically function like separate Pokemon.
Late reply time again!

Either way, I don't really agree with you about everything.

Megas and regional variants are completely different from each other in terms of the actual mechanic, I agree about that.

But I disagree about regional variants being more different in terms of design and general mechanics though. First, regarding designs. I think there are a lot of regional variants that look too similar to the orginal form, which is one of my issues with (some) regional variants. The most notable being several Alolan forms such as Geodude, Graveler, Diglett, Rattata and Raticate. From the Galarian forms, the two most notable so far are Slowpoke and Yamask. And even so, I think most other regional variants are still very similar to the original form to the point that you can still tell what Pokémon it is supposed to be. Take Ninetales, for instance. The main difference between original and Alolan Ninetales is the color. Alolan Ninetales also has a little more fluff (or what you should call it) on its fur. Other than that, they are both Nine-tailed foxes. Personally, I think the only regonal variant to be different from the original form to the point that I would have thought it was a new Pokémon rather than a regional variant if the game hadn't told me what it is first is Galarian Meowth. While some parts of it clearly resemble original Meowth, the overall design is way too different.

That said, I think many Megas look far too similar to the base forms as well. The most notable are Pidgeot and the Kanto starters (minus MCX). I remember when I first saw the Kanto starter Megas getting revealed, I thought they looked too similar to their base forms. Looking through all Megas now, I don't think there's any Mega that looks like it could be a completely different Pokémon in the same way as Galarian Meowth. But I guess that's a good thing, Megas and regional variants both need to have resemblance to the original Pokémon.

Regarding stat spreads, that is another one of the issues I have with most regional variants so far. In almost all cases, their stat spreads are too similar or exactly the same as the original form. Taking Ninetales as the example once more, the only difference in terms of base stats is that Alolan Ninetales shifts 9 points from Attack to Speed compared to regular. Now I don't feel like going through every single regional variant, but I think the one that did stat shifts on a bigger level is Galarian Slowbro which has a bit more Attack than Defenses compared to regular Slowbro. Overall, I think regional variants have a lot more potential to be different in terms of stats if Game Freak decides to go even further with them in the future. Which there's a chance for since they continued with regional variants in Gen 8 after all, and we haven't seen everything from Galarian forms yet!

In comparison, I think Megas generally do a better job in terms of stat distributions. Sure, some are just plain upgrades over the originals like Salamence and Metagross, but others go from zero to hero. Lopunny and Mawile for instance, their Megas are just plain better than their base forms. And some do just complete swaps like Pidgeot which goes from an epitome of mediocrity to a decent Special Attacker.

That said, I suppose regional variants can still function very differently from their base forms even if they have the same or almost the same stats. But in Ninetales's case, it seems to be more because of its typing and Ability rather than the stat changes. And regarding Abilities, the two forms of Ninetales do just have two different weather-starting Abilities as their HAs, so they aren't that different on that front either. Though I personally think that is a very cool thing, some regional variants have Abilities that are just variations of the Ability that the original form has.

So I don't really agree that regional variants are a lot more different than regional variants in terms of mechanics and performances.

I also want to say that I really like Alolan Ninetales, it is actually one of my top 5 favorite Alolan forms.

Regarding Megas being used very little during the main story in X/Y, I always got the impression that they wanted to make Megas feel more "special" in X/Y. Only a small number of trainers are capable of using it (the player, the main rival, Korrina, Lysandre and Diantha - five in total), there is some heavy lore surrounding it and how not everyone can master it. It was also possible to only find Mega Stones during a certain hour of the day during the post-game. But it seems like they more or less dropped this whole idea after X/Y since Megas got a lot more prominent in OR/AS. The same goes for Gen 7 where you can buy Mega Stones at the Battle Tree shops, and a lot of opposing trainers at the Battle Tree can use Megas as well (since some Battle Tree sets are just Mega sets). Perhaps an unpopular opinion of mine is that I actually liked the approach X/Y had to Megas and how they managed to make them feel special in a quite good way by making them a bit elusive. But I understand that many others don't like this approach, and I guess that might be the reason why they changed things in the games after X/Y. Though I'm okay with the post-X/Y approach to Megas as well. It also makes me curious about how Megas would have been handled in "Z" if that had been a thing.

Lastly, I want to say that I do not consider either Megas or regional variants to be "new Pokémon". Both of them are just different forms to me. Neither have separate Pokédex numbers, so they are not new Pokémon by strict definition. Regional evolutions on the other hand, those are new Pokémon in every way since they do have new Pokédex numbers.
This is actually a very good point, and something D/P doesn't get enough praise for. The same goes for Gen 4 in general since Platinum and HG/SS also included a vast majority of all Pokémon that existed at the time. Sure, some of them require inconvenient/tricky methods to get, such as GBA insertion for the Sinnoh games or the Pokéwalker and the horrible Safari Zone for HG/SS, but even so, there's no denying that they wanted to include as many Pokémon in all games. And it is possible to get every single non-mythical Pokémon between all Gen 4 games.

In comparison, let's take a look at how the other generations did in terms of including all Pokémon that existed at their respective time:

Gen 1: Had all existing Pokémon by default
Gen 2: Had almost all, only missing Gen 1 starters, legendaries and fossils
Gen 3: Had several Pokémon missing from each individual game installment, but it was possible to get all Pokémon across R/S, FR/LG and Emerald
Gen 5: Also had most Pokémon but not all, and some had to be obtained through various annoying means like White Forest, Hidden Grottoes or Dream World, the latter which no longer exists
Gen 6: Same as Gen 3, though X/Y on their own featured a lot of Pokémon, almost 600 I think? Not sure though, and still less than D/P in terms of percentages
Gen 7: S/M had less than half of all existing Pokémon, while US/UM have considerably more but far from all,
Gen 8: Dexit. That said, they will still have at least 2/3 of all existing Pokémon once the Crown Tundra is out. And I guess even after that, the generation isn't over yet

So I think Gen 4 did very well when it comes to including as many Pokémon as possible in the games. It was by far the best in terms of including as many Pokémon as possible (in terms of percentages) in each individual game installment.

Lastly, I want to say that I do not consider either Megas or regional variants to be "new Pokémon". Both of them are just different forms to me. Neither have separate Pokédex numbers, so they are not new Pokémon by strict definition. Regional evolutions on the other hand, those are new Pokémon in every way since they do have new Pokédex numbers.
Even if regional variants don't have unique Pokedex entries and the like, they're functionally unique Pokemon. They're not like Rotom, Deoxys, or Megas where there's a single Pokemon who can shift between forms. If someone says "I have a Blablamon" there's a distinct difference between asking "what form is it?" and "what form is it in?"

I find it confusing that even though regional forms have legitimate differences from one another, they're still lumped together, on top of regional evolution existing. I never understood that when some such as Galarian Meowth look much different from their Kantonian and Alolan forms and can only evolve into Perrserker, rather than Persian.

Regional formes have a few things going for it over megas:

1. Color
While the designs may be the same, anyone who's ever done an art analysis will show the importance of colors. Ninetaless-K is a golden fox, majestic, while Ninetales-A is more "alone" in a sense, calm, relaxed. Megas don't really change color, other than Zard-X which uses zard's shiny scheme: and while they often add details, they are attached to the real mon's base form. People here are really underestimating the potency of color psychologically

2. Playstyle
An ice type certainly has a different role in teambuilding than a fire type, in the story and in competitive. Some pokemon, like Ninetales, take it up to the extreme by being an AVeil setter vs a sun setter. For another example: Linoone-H abusing bellyspeed while Obstagoon is a breaker (Linoone-G is a bulky pivot I think). Three Megas: Mega Pidgeot, Zard X, and MMX change the "main" attacks, but without the dramatic type change they end up being similar enough to the base mon. Mega Gyara can use DDance like its base form, while subtaunt exists as more of a sideline. A bigger example of "remains the same" would be the mega Kanto starters (Zard-Y): special attacker w. bonus drought, wall with power, special attacker. Also megas like Pidgeot, Sable, and Mawile change roles from base competitive-wise mainly due to their low stats [PU warps the base form's purpose].
note: didnt read too far above and didnt see the reply, still keeping this

3. Permanance
Pretty self explanatory: megas are connected to their base formes, regionals are not. B/c of the above the regional formes are different enough to be different mons. Also important bc mons remain sr weak/resistance on first switch

also regional formes can "save" the mon as well as megas... obstagoon, muk-a, maro-a...

i personally think regionals are different mons in practicality, being inspired but different enough design wise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 8)