Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Weak. Eating Latin dishes (or at least Tex-Mex) is a common tradition for Americans celebrating Cinco de Mayo.
cinco de mayo is a mexican holiday, not a hispanic holiday. Trump does not love mexicans, who are hispanic. taco bowls are not a hispanic or a mexican dish. Trump tower grill is not a latin american restaurant.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
cinco de mayo is a mexican holiday, not a hispanic holiday. Trump does not love mexicans, who are hispanic. taco bowls are not a hispanic or a mexican dish. Trump tower grill is not a latin american restaurant.
So with that logic isn't it sort of a Hispanic holiday by proxy?

Also taco bowls are still of Hispanic / Mexican inspiration

Who cares if it's not a Latin American restaurant they can still have the best taco bowls around :)

tehy

Banned deucer.
So with that logic isn't it sort of a Hispanic holiday by proxy?

Also taco bowls are still of Hispanic / Mexican inspiration

Who cares if it's not a Latin American restaurant they can still have the best taco bowls around :)
you fool

only latin american restaurants can serve latin american food

or something

i don't really get why he mentioned that bit either but I guess he was on a roll -.-

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you can't even say what Cinco de Mayo celebrates (hint: It's not Mexican Independence), you definitely shouldn't be celebrating it.

It is not a widely celebrated holiday in Mexico. It is an American invention insofar as it was made into a recognized day by the US market... for Mexican beer.
http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/how-corona-made-cinco-de-mayo-an-american-holiday/

And whether or not Cinco de Mayo is an American or a Mexican holiday, it certainly is not a generic Latino holiday. Cubans in Florida could give two shits that Mexico beat France at the Battle of Puebla.

In any case, if you think a taco bowl is "mexican food," you have been brainwashed by Chipotle.

cinco de mayo is a mexican holiday, not a hispanic holiday. Trump does not love mexicans, who are hispanic
??

If you can't even say what Cinco de Mayo celebrates (hint: It's not Mexican Independence), you definitely shouldn't be celebrating it.

It is not a widely celebrated holiday in Mexico. It is an American invention insofar as it was made into a recognized day by the US market... for Mexican beer.
http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/how-corona-made-cinco-de-mayo-an-american-holiday/

And whether or not Cinco de Mayo is an American or a Mexican holiday, it certainly is not a generic Latino holiday. Cubans in Florida could give two shits that Mexico beat France at the Battle of Puebla.

In any case, if you think a taco bowl is "mexican food," you have been brainwashed by Chipotle.
I don't know why you have mexican food in quotes when I said Tex-Mex. From your description Cinco de Mayo sounds like the holiday version of Tex-Mex anyway. A perfect fit.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
dude...... I am saying that not only is Trump clumsily pandering to the minorities he constantly bashes while at the podium, he is quickly revealing that he himself understands nothing about them at all. You think just because he said happy Cinco de Mayo he loves Mexicans? Jesus christ way to not see the forest for the trees

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
i agree with this guy. i am a mexican and i personally respect donald trump more because he eats just like me, taco bowls from the overpriced grill at one of his housing complexes he tries to ensure i am unable to live in because of racial discrimination. I support the wall and believe my true country, mexico, should pay for it on the basis of the over 10000000 white women who have been raped by illegals. That would be a good deal. He loves us though, us hispanics, although thats a rather broad word and probably an unlikely identifier i would attach to myself but it's ok, he cares about me, just less than the whites. gonna eat some tex mex and cry myself to sleep as i wait to be deported rightfully

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i agree with this guy. i am a mexican and i personally respect donald trump more because he eats just like me, taco bowls from the overpriced grill at one of his housing complexes he tries to ensure i am unable to live in because of racial discrimination. I support the wall and believe my true country, mexico, should pay for it on the basis of the over 10000000 white women who have been raped by illegals. That would be a good deal. He loves us though, us hispanics, although thats a rather broad word and probably an unlikely identifier i would attach to myself but it's ok, he cares about me, just less than the whites. gonna eat some tex mex and cry myself to sleep as i wait to be deported rightfully
Jesus, that much strawman in a single post. Did you even read what you wrote?

I'm voting for Trump unless convinced otherwise. Kasich was the best choice for me, but what Hillary did with the Benghazi scandal and trying to replace the governments in the Middle East with failed democracies was beyond stupid. Why would countries that never had democracies in the past want one now, especially forced... She was a terrible Secretary of State, and say what you want about Trump but he 100% supports Israel which is very important to me. He is also basically a democrat just running under the republican ticket.

I really don't think it matters that Trump has little political experience because he will listen to people who do, and he surely won't be worse than Hillary. I do not condone the dumb shit he says about Muslims or Latin Americans but he is still the lesser of two evils. In addition, with a republican House and Senate we need a 'republican' President to actually get shit passed. As far as economics he surely has an edge on Hillary as well. If you think Trump is completely unqualified I reccommend you listen to his speech on Foreign Policy on Youtube among many others.

tehy

Banned deucer.
what about a politician which thinks that solar and wind could ever possibly supply enough energy to defeat global warming?

At this point it's pretty much pick your poison for me on who to support, it's basically policies I completely disagree with vs Hillary, who is just as bad because of all the awful things she's said/done in the past. Ultimately I support Hillary because despite her past I really don't want a republican house/senate/Whitehouse, but certainly not happily.

If Trump think that Tweet is gonna get him any Hispanic votes, be must be delusional or desperate. Or desperately delusional. Ah, what the hell, me and my dad had a good laugh about the ridiculousness of the whole thing!

And yet again, I've done a 90˚ on Hillary Clinton. My father says that she has made it a campaign promise to end the ridiculously corrupt campaign finance system of the Presidency by appointing at least two judges who will be willing to overturn that accursed Citizens United, which activist groups are surely clamoring to put in the ashbin of history.

I still need to find proof (a quote, or a soundbite) that she can be held to, but along with climate change, she would have the minimum requirements. I don't abide by the Benghazi or e-mail scandals, but unless someone has an idea of how to get enough votes to get an Independent who will also fulfill those requirements and doesn't have the same baggage, I see little choice.

If someone can post a source of this, to save me time, that would be great (otherwise, I guess I should find it, and post it). But I'm not voting for her without proof of that.

Trump is still a loose cannon, and could be either a great president, or a bull in a china shop with mad cow disease. Given that one friend who went to one of his rallies compared much of the crowd to those you'd expect to find at a monster truck rally (which is more the fault of our education and news media system, than those type of people), I don't have high hopes, and the lack of campaign promises to address money in politics or climate change means that I'm not willing to take the risk with him.

Maybe once we get money out of the presidency, Independents will have a better chance, and it will probably give activists ammunition to take aim at money in politics and the court system and general, and we can get the 9 big families out of politics once and for all (that, or start an a war, if the conspiracy theorists are to be believed, and they are right when saying that those wealthy individuals won't leave Washington willingly).

tehy

Banned deucer.
if you're electing hillary clinton for her reform of campaign finance, you're going to have to do it again.

hillary relies entirely on big-ass donors often doing shady super-pac shit. (witness, apparently one of her PACs recently hired people to go shill on social media !!! great idea !!! lol)

she might might might might be convinced to do so in her second term because she won't be elected for anything. then again, maybe Chelsea will want a go at the presidency.

seriously, any promise hillary makes is functionally worthless but this is especially so - it's totally against her M.O. and interests. it's not even that she will turn on a dime if told to; she independently and personally does not want to do that.

Reactions: JES
If Trump think that Tweet is gonna get him any Hispanic votes, be must be delusional or desperate. Or desperately delusional. Ah, what the hell, me and my dad had a good laugh about the ridiculousness of the whole thing!

And yet again, I've done a 90˚ on Hillary Clinton. My father says that she has made it a campaign promise to end the ridiculously corrupt campaign finance system of the Presidency by appointing at least two judges who will be willing to overturn that accursed Citizens United, which activist groups are surely clamoring to put in the ashbin of history.

I still need to find proof (a quote, or a soundbite) that she can be held to, but along with climate change, she would have the minimum requirements. I don't abide by the Benghazi or e-mail scandals, but unless someone has an idea of how to get enough votes to get an Independent who will also fulfill those requirements and doesn't have the same baggage, I see little choice.

If someone can post a source of this, to save me time, that would be great (otherwise, I guess I should find it, and post it). But I'm not voting for her without proof of that.

Trump is still a loose cannon, and could be either a great president, or a bull in a china shop with mad cow disease. Given that one friend who went to one of his rallies compared much of the crowd to those you'd expect to find at a monster truck rally (which is more the fault of our education and news media system, than those type of people), I don't have high hopes, and the lack of campaign promises to address money in politics or climate change means that I'm not willing to take the risk with him.

Maybe once we get money out of the presidency, Independents will have a better chance, and it will probably give activists ammunition to take aim at money in politics and the court system and general, and we can get the 9 big families out of politics once and for all (that, or start an a war, if the conspiracy theorists are to be believed, and they are right when saying that those wealthy individuals won't leave Washington willingly).
You flip flop more than a fish out of water man.

Also, ha, believing Hillary will do anything that goes against her self-interest.

Reactions: JES
You flip flop more than a fish out of water man.

Also, ha, believing Hillary will do anything that goes against her self-interest.
I've told my father that. She's supported by 4 big banks who are amongst the biggest campaign contributors in the world, who I doubt would be very happy if it were made illegal to contribute unlimited funds to their candidate of choice. He thinks that her donors are only donating because they have to, against the candidates that the Republicans have, who they don't want in office. Even Trump is gonna have a super pac soon.

We'd find out soon enough, after she appoints the new judge. If he/she chooses not to overturn Citizens United, and doesn't rule in favor of the activists, we'll know that she'll never appoint a judge who will do the right thing.

I should show him you and tehy's post. It will be interesting to see how he responds.

Edit:

My father wants to know what experience Chelsea even has for the presidency. Unless tehy means decades down the road.

I share your doubts, but let's face it, do you even want to vote for Trump? Because it's either that, or organizing a movement to try to get an Independent voted into office, which my father doubts could ever happen, and might just well get Trump into office instead.

Then again, I'm a sentimentalist, and always up for a worthy fight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)