Users and Counters of Paralysis (PAR) in OU

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Then there's Para-flinch-fusion, commonly run by Jirachi. With Serene Grace, Water Pulse/Thunder/Iron Head/Calm Mind can be run with great effect. It just takes a long time to set up.

Haxorus and Lucario both really appreciate paralysis, since they're too slow to sweep on their own, relying mainly on weakened counters and stuff. I feel like Thundurus-T would also appreciate the paralysis support, so it can maximize its use of its 145 special attack.

You need to include liepard as the only non uber fully evolved poke with priority twave

sub
swagger
foul play
twave

can get quite irritating

Hey everybody!

Paralysis is my favorite status, since if successful it eliminates your opponent's speed pretty much entirely and starts giving you free turns all over the place. It's probably the most reliable form of hax, I swear sub being 1/4 of your HP and fully paralyzed hax being a 25% chance is intentional, since it means about anything with substitute or can pretty reliably score a free turn against a paralyzed opponent that it normally couldn't get. Don't underestimate that speed decrease either, since it's like the equivalent of -6 state decrease in speed in one turn that sticks for the entire match. While Toxic and Burn offer more immediate benefits in helping to whittle down your opponent by actually reducing their HP, speed guarantees you first strike, which even with against stuff with attacks like payback is usually an advantage. The speed decrease is pretty severe that unless you're running some ungodly slow stuff everything on your team will outrun a paralyzed opponent even if it's some ridiculous scarf spread. It renders your opponent's set-up useless and makes yours ridiculously easier.
Right now my team uses Whimsicott's priority stun spore to theoretically paralyze any pokemon in the game before they can even attack, and pairs that up with Expert Belt Ditto. As long as you keep Ditto somewhat healthy, he'll always have the advantage over his paralyzed double (or should I say original?).
The main problem with paralysis, though, is the prevalence of priority these days. A paralyzed scizor doesn't give a shit since when it matters for him to go first he's always got bullet punch. Overall, the most used Pokemon in BW seem to be bulkier and slower than in past generations, but even trick room and priority attacks can't help hax from happening.

I have tried using thunder wave before but I am always worried about my opponent using substitute or having lum berry. Whats the best way to deal with this?

I have tried using thunder wave before but I am always worried about my opponent using substitute or having lum berry. Whats the best way to deal with this?
It depends on the specific situation. In general, I'd say if it's a mon that commonly carries Lum Berry, such as DDnite or DD/SD Haxorus, then play around it and go for straight attacks. Same goes for Substitute. Sometimes, though, you're just going to get screwed over; going for a Twave on Terrakion is a fine play most of the time, and you can't let the 10% of people who run SubSD Terrakion deter you from doing it.

I think Roserade deserves a mention as a user of Paralysis via Stun Spore, while also not minding it due to Natural Cure. Not to mention that Roserade also commonly runs Rest to remove paralysis altogether in conjunction with Natural Cure.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You need to include liepard as the only non uber fully evolved poke with priority twave

sub
swagger
foul play
twave

can get quite irritating
Nvm. That's a really annoying set to face in NU, but I doubt it has any merit in OU

...and Sableye can't learn T-Wave at all, so it would be a bad mixup from Vemane. I didn't play in Thundurus era, but it sounds like Prankster T-Wave could cause some ragequits if used correctly, though I don't know how viable Liepard is in OU (well, if people used Murkrow sometimes, I guess it could work)

You can always rule out the possibility of a Lum Berry if you notice that their health is being restored or reduced through Leftovers and Life Orb, respectfully. Same applies for Choice Scarf if they seem to have an abnormal speed, of course. I've found that Substitute simply requires prediction, though.

I'm seeing a lack of Limber Pokemon listed. Not to mention Stun Spore users like Roserade, Whimsicott, Venusaur, Jumpluff, etc. And what about Glare?

Prankster Liepard works really well with Thunder Wave too.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Glare is a good strategy, but really it's only viable for NU because every pokemon that gets Glare won't stand a chance in OU (Serperior, Dunsparce, Druddigon, Seviper, Arbok)
Liepard, too. Sure, it can paralyze, but I don't think it's OU status. Sableye has a better typing and a better support movepool, while Whimsicott is faster and also has a better support movepool and typing, and neither of them are in OU. Tornadus and Thundurus-I are in OU and Ubers but that was mainly because of their high offensive prowess, something that Liepard doesn't really have. What makes you think Liepard will be better?

Glare is a good strategy, but really it's only viable for NU because every pokemon that gets Glare won't stand a chance in OU (Serperior, Dunsparce, Druddigon, Seviper, Arbok)
Liepard, too. Sure, it can paralyze, but I don't think it's OU status. Sableye has a better typing and a better support movepool, while Whimsicott is faster and also has a better support movepool and typing, and neither of them are in OU. Tornadus and Thundurus-I are in OU and Ubers but that was mainly because of their high offensive prowess, something that Liepard doesn't really have. What makes you think Liepard will be better?
You're right, it's not OU. But I would definitely argue for it to be UU. Prankster ability means you don't have to invest ANY EV's into its speed stat. That gives you the opportunity to max out its ATK stat, give it Adamant nature, and throw the rest into HP and DEF for some decent bulk.

Liepard gets STAB Sucker Punch which hits surprisingly hard, managing to revenge kill a lot of weakened foes or pull of surprise OHKO's on frail Pokemon. Then you have Fake Out, another priority move. Finish the set with Priority Thunder Wave and Priority Encore to cripple sweepers, walls, set up pokemon, pretty much anything. Liepard forces a lot of switches, and stays on the field thanks to Focus Sash (needs Spinner/Bounce support obviously). And you can have a lot of fun with alternative moves like Knock Off or Yawn, to further cripple switch ins.

Liepard is sexy. Not OU, but damn sexy nonetheless. And Prankster Thunder Wave is a blessing for trolling feline.

Gliscor is one of my all time favourite Pokemon to switch in on a paralyses move. A lot of the more defensive Pokemon that like to paralyze stuff such as Ferrothorn are completely shut down by stall breaker Gliscor. If you can get him in and activate toxic before switching in he's about as perfect of a counter as you can find for any Jirachi lacking special moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)